Lyric Monitor - Would Elvis Have Liked One?

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
1015elvis
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Lyric Monitor - Would Elvis Have Liked One?

Post by 1015elvis »

Put this question down here, instead of in the cesspool above. Just a general question, if Elvis lived long enough, would he have liked to use a modern-day Lyric Monitor so he would not have to use music sheets anymore?

A little less conversation

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Re: Lyric Monitor - Would Elvis Have Liked One?

Post by pmp »

1015elvis wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:38 am
Put this question down here, instead of in the cesspool above. Just a general question, if Elvis lived long enough, would he have liked to use a modern-day Lyric Monitor so he would not have to use music sheets anymore?
Considering his relatively small repertoire, he shouldn't have been using lyric sheets at all during the 1970s shows. It's quite an embarrassment that someone of his stature did use them. If he couldn't remember the lyrics for some reason, then he should just have cut the songs. I realise there are a few exceptions, such as when he was trying out something like Inherit the Wind so that it could be recorded by RCA, but they are few and far between. But Burning Love? My Way? Learn the words or chuck out the song.

Nowadays, lyrics monitors are in general use, but concerts are not the way they were in the 1970s, and they are also in general much longer than the fifty minutes to an hour you got with Elvis. Sinatra certainly used them in the 1980s and 1990s - but he was 70-80 years old at the time. I'm sure Elvis would have used them if he was still around during that era, too. But hopefully it would have been to extend his repertoire rather than just to be lazy and rely on them for no reason.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.