Make me feel old

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
1015elvis
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Make me feel old

Post by 1015elvis »

On Saturday, I will be turning 28, oh the humanity, and 12 of which have been spent on and off on this forum. I remember how in the beginning I would be considered a troll and asked a question if Elvis was Autistic and such like that. I look back and see how ill-prepared I was for dealing with others through an online medium. Of course, I've grown up since then, but this place gave me a crash course of what the world was going to be like, so to those like John Carpenter, even though you are brash in your words, you still have heart behind them.

Anyway, make me feel old. Dates, events, objects, anything that you can roast me with in terms of age. Can also be anything on this forum that I have posted and have purged from my memory. Go wild.

A little less conversation

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Make me feel old

Post by drjohncarpenter »

1015elvis wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:21 pm
On Saturday, I will be turning 28, oh the humanity, and 12 of which have been spent on and off on this forum. I remember how in the beginning I would be considered a troll and asked a question if Elvis was Autistic and such like that. I look back and see how ill-prepared I was for dealing with others through an online medium. Of course, I've grown up since then, but this place gave me a crash course of what the world was going to be like, so to those like John Carpenter, even though you are brash in your words, you still have heart behind them.

Anyway, make me feel old. Dates, events, objects, anything that you can roast me with in terms of age. Can also be anything on this forum that I have posted and have purged from my memory. Go wild.

Twenty-eight. 28? My friend, you have a LOT of life ahead of you. So many things to look forward to that you don't even know yet.

Most of the folks here are LONG past 28, as you may find out in the replies. Elvis' career began 70 years ago.

A dear neighbor of mine was a first-generation Elvis fan. She was 13 years old when Elvis broke 1956 in half. She loved him ever since. I went to her home a few months back and she showed me her original RCA 45s and EPs from 1956-1960, all of them in lovely shape. Naturally, I told her great stories about many of the songs I was holding in my hands.

She was super-independent and very kind. Lived alone in a huge house, with an expansive front yard she tended to six days a week. She had a dance partner/boyfriend just as independent who turned 90 last December. She'd missed the 2022 "Elvis" biopic, so I made a date with her to bring my DVD over and we'd watch it together. She reminded me that she had never been able to stay awake for more than 90 minutes in any movie, so I told her I'd break the Baz Luhrmann film into two dates.

We kept trying to find a time to see "Elvis," but our schedules weren't right. Exactly a week ago I saw her driving her Honda Odyssey van as I was coming home. We stopped, rolled down our driver windows and briefly chatted. She was off to the laundromat because her dryer broke, she laughed. I said how about we do "Elvis" right after Thanksgiving, and she agreed. Later that day, she died in her home. B.J. was 80. I was stunned for days, and still cry every time I look at her house.

You have a lot of life ahead. Be like B.J. and enjoy every darned minute. It really goes fast.

John

Topic author
1015elvis
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Make me feel old

Post by 1015elvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:32 am
1015elvis wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:21 pm

Twenty-eight. 28? My friend, you have a LOT of life ahead of you. So many things to look forward to that you don't even know yet.

Most of the folks here are LONG past 28, as you may find out in the replies. Elvis' career began 70 years ago.

A dear neighbor of mine was a first-generation Elvis fan. She was 13 years old when Elvis broke 1956 in half. She loved him ever since. I went to her home a few months back and she showed me her original RCA 45s and EPs from 1956-1960, all of them in lovely shape. Naturally, I told her great stories about many of the songs I was holding in my hands.

She was super-independent and very kind. Lived alone in a huge house, with an expansive front yard she tended to six days a week. She had a dance partner/boyfriend just as independent who turned 90 last December. She'd missed the 2022 "Elvis" biopic, so I made a date with her to bring my DVD over and we'd watch it together. She reminded me that she had never been able to stay awake for more than 90 minutes in any movie, so I told her I'd break the Baz Luhrmann film into two dates.

We kept trying to find a time to see "Elvis," but our schedules weren't right. Exactly a week ago I saw her driving her Honda Odyssey van as I was coming home. We stopped, rolled down our driver windows and briefly chatted. She was off to the laundromat because her dryer broke, she laughed. I said how about we do "Elvis" right after Thanksgiving, and she agreed. Later that day, she died in her home. B.J. was 80. I was stunned for days, and still cry every time I look at her house.

You have a lot of life ahead. Be like B.J. and enjoy every darned minute. It really goes fast.

John
Still strange, doesn't feel like any time has passed, but I know that internally I've grown. I still remember my younger self writing to my old self you better still like Elvis. In other news I got a copy of Elvis's show in Miami in 1970 because I wanted a physical copy of one of those shows, and Ann Margret's 1973 TV special that aired right after the USA version of Aloha From Hawaii. Not bad at all

A little less conversation