What were Elvis highlight moments after 1973?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

What were Elvis highlight moments after 1973?

Post by jetblack »

In the early 70's most things were going great for Elvis, careerwise. A great recording session in Nashville and 'That's The Way It Is' in 1970, 'On Tour' which won Golden Globe in 1972 and 'Aloha From Hawaii'in 1973.

Now with his divorce and lack of recording in the last 4 years what are the highlights that can be picked out?

A couple that come to mind are playing his hometown of Memphis in 1974 that was recorded by RCA and the fabulous 'Today' album of 1975.

Andy

Stranger in the crowd
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Stranger in the crowd »

I'd say both his new year's eve concerts (75 and 76) were highlights.
Elvis himself even talked about his '75 New year's concert on stage later, so obviously it was something more than "just another concert" to him.
The CBS concert special in 1977 was unfortunately not the highlight it could have been, though people hadn't seen Elvis in a new production on TV since 1973...

"There must be peace and understanding some time..." (If I can dream)

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Pete Dube »

The December '73 Stax sessions.
The '74 'homecoming' concerts in Memphis.
The '74 Astrodome shows.
The July '75 tour (particularly the Uniondale N.Y. and Ashville N.C. shows).
The '75 New Years Eve show (largest live audience of his career).
The singles Promised Land (arguably his last great rock & roll recording), My Boy (U.K. top 5 and #1 U.S. Adult Contemporary chart hit), Moody Blue (U.K. top 10 and U.S. country chart #1).
The July '76 Memphis show.
The December '76 tour.

JEFF d
Registered for: 21 years

Post by JEFF d »

August 16th, 1977 when he faked his death, and we haven't stopped talking about him since. :P

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

The above mentioned concerts surely where highlights. Elvis got another Grammy for his 1974 recording of "How Great Thou Art" and he won quite a few awards given him by the readers of different entertainment magazines. And he was mentioned all through his career for breaking audience records in the concert venues he played in. His records kept selling also and right before his last show he got an award for selling 600 million records. Even though no one really believes this figure (they had no real computers back then and no one counted the sales with a bar code scanner), we surely can agree that Elvis had sold a lot more than any other artist by then. I guess most of the so called superstars would be glad, if they would sell like Elvis did during his last years and to be loved by so many people.

:D

music2
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by music2 »

With so many records sold, what happened to all the money generated from his record sales throughout the years?

Not to mention revenue generated from movies, concerts, merchandise, etc.

Where did it all go?

It is commonly noted that Elvis was not as wealthy as he should have been.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

music2 wrote:With so many records sold, what happened to all the money generated from his record sales throughout the years?
It is commonly claimed that his manager creamed off a large chunk.

And, of course, sold off the rights to the pre-1973 stuff before the end.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

Jay33 wrote:There is even professional shot footage by WLA (something like that) They filmed the first half of the show.
I like that! :D

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

After Aloha the biggest highlight was 8-16-77 when he was reborn!

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

1974 Memphis Shows
June And July Tours from 1975 (July is one of the best:D)
Last tour of December
Pittsburg New Year's Eve Concert 12-31-76
july 19th 1975 Uniondale concerts

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Elvis had plenty of highlights after 1973 and in the seventies period. How else does anybody explain the millions of fans he accumulated in the seventies. Some of you guys sound so Gerish.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

What were Elvis highlights After 1973?

Well to him....getting his leg over Linda Thompson must have had some appeal :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Steve M- Your comment is a little harsh. I think the Pittsburg show was a flat out good show for anyone. There's a lot more that goes into making a good show than just good music and there's a certain vibe there. I've seen a lot of veteran acts who put on a show very similar to that and everyone has a good time. The thing is that in 1969 and 1970 Elvis was doing great shows and that kind of skews the scales.

"Hurt" was a definite highlight. Dave Marsh and John Swenson thought enough of it to place it as their #9 single for 1976 in their book of rock lists. "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" was also a highlight. And selling 60,000 tickets in Pontiac Michigan was a definite highlight by anyone's standards.

It was not a period of great success for Elvis overall but there were moments and it was a relatively small period of time.

In 1974, he didn't record at all. Had he followed the same strategy on the road perhaps he could have recharged his creative batteries. However, his spending habits and the Colonel's mismanagement placed him in a position where he basically had to perform.

Scatter
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Scatter »

Well, according to some the only highlight would be that splendiferous "Fool's Gold" PB&J sandwich he flew to Denver to enjoy.

Aside from that...........

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I think there is a strong pull towards "Hurt" as a masterpiece. Many critics- Greil Marcus, Dave Marsh, Simpson, etc list it as one of Elvis' best and among fans it's definitely a major piece. Also the attendance record in Pontiac Michigan was a highlight by any standard. It was something like 12 years before that mark was toppled for a single attraction indoor event.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Steve_M wrote:LTB, I dont think my comments were harsh if only because that wasn't my intention to be. But it is hard to say when the definition of "highlights" is not clear. That's why I was trying to compare it with what other acts were doing and what Elvis had done. A good concert wasn't necessarily a highlight to me. Aloha was because as you say its not just about good music.

If Aloha was a highlight then what other "Alohas" did Elvis have after 1973 ? so far I've come up with none.
Here's a question, what highlight from any artist could compare with Aloha in the seventies?

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Those Uniondale N.Y. shows were highlights. But I'll grant Steve's point. After Aloha there was nothing on that grand scale, nothing to capture the attention of the general public. Still, there was plenty to enjoy in the post Aloha period, some of which can be considered highlights.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Pete Dube wrote:Those Uniondale N.Y. shows were highlights. But I'll grant Steve's point. After Aloha there was nothing on that grand scale, nothing to capture the attention of the general public. Still, there was plenty to enjoy in the post Aloha period, some of which can be considered highlights.
True, but everything can't be on that grand a scale all the time or there would be no highlights, does that make sense? :?

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Joe Car wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Those Uniondale N.Y. shows were highlights. But I'll grant Steve's point. After Aloha there was nothing on that grand scale, nothing to capture the attention of the general public. Still, there was plenty to enjoy in the post Aloha period, some of which can be considered highlights.
True, but everything can't be on that grand a scale all the time or there would be no highlights, does that make sense? :?
Yeah that makes sense Joe. But here's the thing: In the years 69-73 there was progression. In '69 there was the re-establishment of his recording career with the Memphis sessions, and the triumphant return to live performances in Vegas. In '70 there was the Astrodome and the first tours since '58. '71 brought more tour dates in some of the major U.S. cities and the Tahoe engagement. '72 saw the substantial increase in the number of tour dates including the conquering of New York City with the high-profile MSG shows. And in '73 came Aloha.

But after this his career went into a holding pattern. The logical next step after Aloha was to bring the roadshow to western Europe and Asia. Instead, it became a merry-go-round of Vegas, U.S. tour dates, and Tahoe.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

There's more recording highlights than just Hurt Steve. I've Got a Thing About You Baby; For Ol' Times' Sake; Promised Land; Lovin' Arms; Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues; T*R*O*U*B*L*E; Shake a Hand; Danny Boy; For The Heart; Moody Blue; She Thinks I Still Care; Way Down; Unchained Melody. There are other decent performances, but these are the cream of the crop.

That Elvis was even able to produce some great recordings and give some great concerts whilst caught in the grip of severe addiction and depression is not something to be brushed aside lightly.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Pete Dube wrote:
After Aloha there was nothing on that grand scale, nothing to capture the attention of the general public.
What could have possibly topped Aloha? Sure, Elvis could have done a world tour...it would have been very well recieved, but it essentially would have been the same show, same song list, just different faces in a different city, in a different country.

In order to immediately top the "event" that was Aloha, Elvis would have had to strap himself into a rocket and perform on the moon.

Eagle

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Steve_M wrote: Well done Elvis, bet you feel mighty proud of those achievments given the weaker start you had to the 70's. :roll:

Harsh it is, but not as harsh as Elvis was to himself by not wanting to seek new goals out.
This is where you and Ger are missing the point Steve. It's not so much that he didn't want to seek new goals as it is that he simply couldn't. Depression saps the desire and enthusiasm to do much of anything right out of a person.
Steve M wrote:
Elvis produced Aloha, no other acts could do it at the time and didn't for many years later. But having done it he walked away from any desire to to do again.
Again, he didn't 'walk away' from the desire. Depression takes it way from you.
Steve M wrote: Elvis didn't want any highlights after 1973, not enough to succeed in getting them. Those he got he got almost by default or design and rarely of his doing, Hurt aside, though i don't particulaly like it myself. A good performance of a song is a good performance no matter what the individual listeners tastes are.

Yet again it's not a question of 'didn't want.' He couldn't want. And as for successes by default, the man walked up to the microphone, opened his mouth and sang. Hurt; Promised Land; Shake a Hand; Way Down weren't great performances by accident, they were great because he gave great vocal performances.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Pete, I give you credit, you are always fair and compassionate in your assessment of Elvis and his struggles near the end. To me, your input is very much appreciated. All I ever asked is for people, ( especially his fans) to cut him some slack for what was a very rough last few years, both physically and emotionally.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

After 1973(Aloha) there were plenty of highlights FOR FANS ONLY.