Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
KevR
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Christmas Duets

Post by KevR »

Copy of my comments posted on another thread:

I've just listened to Christmas Duets in the car on the way to work so these are purely random first impressions but what an odd listening experience!

First time I heard the Elvis v JXL remix of A Little Less Conversation I loved it and still do (Rubberneckin' less so) but having another voice singing on very familiar Elvis tracks will take some getting used to!

The results are mixed to say the least with surprisingly the 70s tracks that you presume would have been easier to work with given the multi track recordings sounding more like someone is just singing along with an Elvis CD! Merry Christmas Baby is wasted, Gretchen Wilson has a fine voice but isn't given any part of the song to sing, she merely repeats certain lines after Elvis even when Elvis' ad libs "take it baby" etc leave room for her to sing a verse or two, very strange!

It's obvious that a lot of effort has gone into recreating the original playing on the 50s recordings (it sounds to me like the Jordanaires re-recorded their vocal parts which must have been odd for them 50 years later) and on the whole the blend works well, they've even had someone play Elvis' distinctive guitar runs on Blue Christmas and I really like all of the versions of the 50s material.

I'll definitely play this over the festive period and I guess that's all the producers were looking for.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, sorry forgot about the money, thanks for reminding me Spellbinder, it is after all the true meaning of Christmas these days.
Last edited by KevR on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Christmas Duets

Post by Spellbinder »

KevR wrote:I'll definitely play this over the festive period and I guess that's all the producers were looking for.
All the producers are looking for is our money.

Ray

JerryNodak

Re: Christmas Duets

Post by JerryNodak »

And I intend to give them some of mine.