Elvis Presley's Graceland -- The Ultimate Tour DVD

Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Elvis Presley's Graceland -- The Ultimate Tour DVD

Post by Little Darlin »

The blurb on the back cover of this DVD promises us 90 minutes ( over 2 discs ) of something for everyone and
things you won't see anywhere else! It doesn't disappoint.

For those who have been to Graceland, you will probably enjoy reminiscing about the rooms and things you saw
on your visit, but for someone like me who hasn't and is not intending to go, it is a absolute joy to watch.

DISC 1 -- Feature

It has a simple to use Chapter menu and the photos of Elvis on this section are of the highest quality (well
they would be wouldn't they lol) simply choose which part you want to watch first and Elvis appears on each screen.

As it starts we have Elvis singing Welcome to My World -- which I understand he sings as you go through the Gates of Graceland --
nice touch!

We get the history of Graceland right from the beginning -- a nice piece of Elvis history in itself for me....it's inter spaced with not
new to me photos but they are of the best quality I've seen.

After a brief history of Elvis' Music and Film career the Graceland Tour begins. As the photos I posted in the All Elvis Section show,
we are able to see a couple of minutes of the door leading to Elvis' Suite of Rooms. Here,it's explained that upstairs will ALWAYS remain PRIVATE!

We are then shown the 3D plans of the upstairs layout -- they are nothing to get too excited about, but special and exclusive to this DVD all the same.

What follows is the tour that I'm familiar with, in other words, I know the rooms through the photos posted on the net by people who have been,
it's here you can see the high quality of the DVD. You get to see everything close up -- I'm pretty sure you can't see them that
closely on the tour. As you go through each room, you get to hear some of the things Elvis and the Entourage/Family used to get up to.
One of the nicest rooms for me was Gladys & Vernon's, it's as though they were going to use it again that night -- quite moving! Dresses were hanging in the Wardrobe
a bag with her name on along with her shoes on a shelf, and on the bedside cabinet was an ashtray with small coins and keys in it, along with passport size photos of a young
Elvis and Vernon.

From memory, the majority of the footage used on Disc 1 was first seen on Elvis by the Presley's -- nothing new there for me I'm afraid --
although there is 2 small pieces of colour footage from the set of Stay Away Joe I don't recall seeing before.

I haven't seen any other Graceland Tour footage, so for me this was a must have -- especially for Disc 2 alone.

Disc 2

Now this is the Piece de Resistance and is called the Extras

Graceland in the Snow -- Approx 15 minutes in length -- January/February 58 at Graceland with Gladys & Vernon.

I'm not spoiling it for those who haven't got their copy yet -- so all I'll say is it's like something you
send to your family if they couldn't be there with you when something good happened. AWESOME!!!

A Fan's Home Movies of Elvis
-- Approx 19 minutes in length

I'm not saying anything about this apart from it's some of the best and new to me footage I have ever seen!

Home from the Army Press Conference -- Approx 15 minutes in length

We've all seen this -- nothing new to my eyes -- as far as I remember

Graceland Archives -- Approx 14 minutes in length

They saved the best till last! When Oprah Winfrey aired her show from Graceland, every Elvis fan was talking about the secret rooms and what they held, well here we get a sneak preview of one of them. As you can see by the photos I posted in the All Elvis Section, it's mind boggling to see just what is in this VAST warehouse type building. home to 30,000 pieces of Elvis and his Family owned Artifacts. The DVD is worth the $40/£20GBP it costs alone.

This is a DVD I will watch again -- it really is that good.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

N880EP

Re: Elvis Presley's Graceland -- The Ultimate Tour DVD

Post by N880EP »

Thank you for this very useful review; very much appreciated.

All my best,
N8
... just a fan ....

jean mary
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by jean mary »

Thanks for the Review - mine is on order - I can't wait to get it - Graceland holds alot of magic for me.....and to see anything new always fascinates!

Jean

Dave the Rave
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Dave the Rave »

Have watched my copy several times a must have for your collections!!

TIGERMAN-GB
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by TIGERMAN-GB »

Nice to see a new Review in the Review Section, polls are OK but I don't see

how they can really be considered as a proper review.

8)

Tigerman GB ;) smt201 FIFTIES JUNKIE ::rocks

Some may have come close but few have ever equaled.

The sun never sets on a legend.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vnhouten/
http://www.planetexe.com/Elvis45rpm/
http://www.myspace.com/tigerman_gb

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

I'd forgotten about this! Glad it was useful :D

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

jean mary

Post by jean mary »

Just got this ......

Oh wow!

I just watched the first disc..... I was almost in tears as the music started - it had to be that song.....and those amazing "moving" photos....

This is much more than a tour of Graceland.....it's a documentary of the life and career of Elvis too.....but the house is central to the whole story...early shots of the house echo the photos we have recently seen ... cool family photos - some I don't recall having seen......the entrance and living room, staircase look enormous.....but we all know they are not.....cool close ups of detail...like the shag pile on the ceiling so obviously the original when you compare it to the floor......sad that there are no actual pics of them recording in the Jungle Room..... great to see the plane without the plastic covering everything.....beautiful evening shots of the house and the Meditation Gardens .... and if you thought Vernon's sign on the office door was amusing, wait til you see the one he had on the toilet door...LMAO

By the end of it I had a tear rolling down my face..... and then of course the fact that Todd Morgan put most of this together ... this is a cool tribute to his work and life at EPE.

I have only watched the first disc so far - but this is a great job by EPE..... a must for all fans of Elvis.....

Jean

jean mary

Post by jean mary »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...I watched the snow in Jan 58 clips......just fantastic...for us Graceland hard corers...you can see just what it was like in those early days....the fence around the pool and the patio.....the juke box, the barbecue, the columns which were the basis of the Meditation Garden, how completely open it was...no Dolan Street, nothing opposite.......and I knew they had chickens and turkeys...but didn't know they had horses and donkeys running round all over the place.....this footage is great!

Followed by the fan footage of Elvis horse riding and signing autographs....some snippets of this we have seen before - but nothing like this.....Elvis really enjoying himself with the fans - it's lovely to see...what made me laugh was them filming all the cars coming in to Graceland.....sometimes they were lucky and it was Elvis driving...or Vernon, Or Charlie, Or Sonny......but when it was Elvis...he just looked fantastic!.......interesting also to see how the area had changed in the ten years - more built up all around........

Can you tell I'm loving this! LOL

Jean

jean mary

Post by jean mary »

The Archives.......not enough - we saw all those boxes...but I wanted to see what was in every single one of them....LOL.......i got the impression that the Documents building was somewhere in the grounds of Graceland....which I think I had heard before - but the other storage facility is off the property....... I think any one of us would love the chance to have had Angie's job.....just finding stuff in the attic.....and wondering what was going to turn up next....Vernon really did save everything.....

I think this is the best thing EPE have ever put out..apart from the music and the 68 and Aloha dvds....if you have been to Graceland or have any interest in the house, please get this....to me Graceland is such a huge part of Elvis...his family, his life, his fans....and of course he is still there......

Ok - I'm done! :)

Jean

TONY
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by TONY »

Apart from EPE, who else is selling this product please?

DJL
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by DJL »

I was going to consider getting this DVD?

Does anyone else have any reviews?

DJL

JamieAKelley

Post by JamieAKelley »

It's really fantastic - the main DVD is great, and the extras on DVD-2 are worth the whole price alone. Definitely a good one to have. :)

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

DJL
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by DJL »

Thanks JamesAKelley for your comments on this item.

DJL

mrbthebarber
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by mrbthebarber »

Sounds great, is there a UK/Euro watchable version to be had??
Thanks.

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "

JamieAKelley

Post by JamieAKelley »

It's NTSC, but it does say on the back that it's a region-free DVD.

Easier for Graceland, since they only have to make one version that way.

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

mrbthebarber
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by mrbthebarber »

JamieAKelley wrote:It's NTSC, but it does say on the back that it's a region-free DVD.

Easier for Graceland, since they only have to make one version that way.

Thank you Jamie.

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "