Setting The Standard

Post Here All Reviews Of Bootleg CD's/LP's etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Rob

Setting The Standard

Post by Rob »

A very short and sweet review.

Setting The Standard is a CD worth having if.....

1. You are a fan of 1971 Vegas shows.
2. You don't mind audience recorded shows.
3. You prefer the shows with very little banter with the audience by Elvis.

The show has a very clear sound and Elvis' dialogue is easily understood. There is just not enough bass or fullness in the CD for me. It is too tinny sounding. The show has several good moments such as Sweet Caroline, It's Impossible, Lawdy Miss Clawdy and the rare for 1971, It's Over. The Little Sister / Get Back medley is obviously from another show, even if it is not mentioned (trust me, it is).

There aren't enough 1971 shows available, so if you are a collector of audience recordings, this is for you.

Las Vegas, Aug. 17 1971 Dinner Show

Also Sprach Zarathustra
That's All Right
Proud Mary
Love Me Tender
Sweet Caroline
Polk Salad Annie
Johnny B. Goode
It's Impossible
Love Me
Blue Suede Shoes/Whole Lotta Shakin' On
Heartbreak Hotel
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
I'm Leaving
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
It's Over
Little Sister/Get Back
Can't Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp/Announcements

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Thanks Rob. I agree about the sound - it is pretty clear sound, but yet somehow still "grates" on my ears - tinny is indeed appropriate. Good tight show though.

Also comes with a nice (albeit quite short) numbered DVD if you are lucky with some great footage of the King in action 1971!!

daz cav

SETTING THE STANDARD

Post by daz cav »

Setting the standard is another nice release from the sr guys, A welcome addition to our 1971 cd section
when myne came through the post it had the cd, a bonus dvd, and a collectors card saying under 100 copies made with card, and as usual a nice little booklet to accompany the cd

I hope the sr records guys bring out more goodies like this fair enough there could be better sounding shows choosen but hey we cant have everything,
the whole package has been nicely put together and the overall design is a beauty , bravo to those who did this it looks like it was made with a lot of thought and some great pics in the booklets go on treat yourself it worth it

Taniolo

Re: Setting The Standard

Post by Taniolo »

Thank your for your brief review, Rob.

Rob wrote:The Little Sister / Get Back medley is obviously from another show, even if it is not mentioned (trust me, it is).
I do - trust in you.

But not only the medley of Little Sister / Get Back was taken from another show, but It's Over too. Elvis' monologue in the middle of both cuts is most probably from another show - at least it makes no sense at the end of this show.

After comparing the relevant shows of this summer festival my opinion is:

Little Sister / Get Back is from Aug 21, 1971 m/s (which is THE CISCO KID STRIKES AGAIN, allthough this recording may be taken from another source).

It's Over comes from Aug 10, 1971 m/s.

Taniolo

Elvis Tunes Website
It never ceases to amaze me!

moodyblue1

Post by moodyblue1 »

If only RCA had recorded these '71 shows on multi-track....... :cry: :cry:

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Geez that sucks and annoys me that the medley and it's over were 'inserted' from other shows...if so how the hell do we know/think that the rest of the show is from 17.8.71 M/S?? :oops:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!