Tuscon Arizona 1972

Post Here All Reviews Of Bootleg CD's/LP's etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Tuscon Arizona 1972

Post by BigredG »

Just received this CD release on the RTCV label.

Audience recording of Elvis 8:30 pm show Nov 9 1972

Not too keen on the front cover, but the rear has 4 good photos of Elvis (and a local law enforcement officer!!) on stage.

Rear artwork has 4 more shots from the show + tracklisting.

On with the Show -

First off the sound quality is very good for an "on tour" audience recording. The spoken words are clear, and the overall sound is very listenable (much better than the recent There Goes My Everything). There is a lot of tape slipping on the 2001 opening and the first few bars of CC Rider which had me worried, but thankfully these problems are gone before the vocal opening!!

As with the Live at HIC release this Cd shows Elvis giving great shows in late 1972 - dynamic and still fresh sounding. Also a long show by Elvis standards (66 minutes with introductions of only 1:23!!!)

Elvis says he was there in Tuscon 14 years ago (when he was a baby) and that it was great to be back. Nice version of Until It's Time, a belting You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, solid Polk Salad. As a pre-cursor to Aloha Elvis says he is "going to do all the songs they wanna hear - all 428 of them (one less than Jan '73!!). The "mid show" oldies section is treated with respect rather than rushed, including a bluesy One Night and the 72 standard Little Sister/Get Back.

A sincere I'll Remember You and a Barnstorming How Great Thou Art begin the end show phase, and it is a long phase with Elvis obviously enjoying himself. For The Good Times has the "warm and sweaty body" phrasing, Big Hunk & Johnny B are rocking before Elvis closes in the usual manner!!

Overall 8 out of 10 - a great show which would be 110% essential if a soundboard!!

Tracklisting:

2001 Theme / C. C. Rider / I Got A Woman / Until It's Time For You To Go / You Don't Have To Say You Love Me / You Gave Me A Mountain / Polk Salad Annie / Love Me / All Shook Up / Heartbreak Hotel / Blue Suede Shoes / The Wonder Of You / Love Me Tender / One Night / Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel / Little Sister - Get Back / Hound Dog / I'll Remember You / How Great Thou Art / Suspicious Minds / Introductions / For The Good Times / A Big Hunk O' Love / Fever / I Can't Stop Loving You / Johnny B. Goode / Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp.

+ hidden bonus track!!
Last edited by BigredG on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Renan »

Nice review. Thanks for this and I´m looking for this concert too. It had been already released in "What A Lovely Way To Burn" cd-r but is the sound better here?

What is "hidden bonus track"?

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Rob

Post by Rob »

One of the absolute best sounding audience recorded shows that I've ever heard came from this tour also. The Long Beach show from November 15th would be hard to top.

I'm sure I'll be picking this one up as well.

Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by 1956 »

Thanks I cant wait to hear cd. :D

Topic author
BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

The hidden track is a strange choice. It is Lawdy Miss Clawdy - audience recorded Spring 1977 and is the same Version as on the Spring Tours FTD release!!! Great version undoubetdly, but we already have it in great sound - weird!!

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Renan »

BIGREDG@TISCALI.CO.UK wrote:The hidden track is a strange choice. It is Lawdy Miss Clawdy - audience recorded Spring 1977 and is the same Version as on the Spring Tours FTD release!!! Great version undoubetdly, but we already have it in great sound - weird!!

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Marco Aurelio
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Marco Aurelio »

I really enjoyed the review... I like very much all the 1972 late concerts... If a soundboard surfaces of this concert, it would be a great FTD...

NOW: could someone tell me if FTD has purchased the tapes in soundboard of the concert in Lubbock Texas one day before ??? I heard many rumours... Does someone know about it ???? Thanks in advance!

How many stars are in the sky ???? I´LL NEVER KNOW!

lindnet
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by lindnet »

Hi, first post here. I just wondered if the sound on this one is better than the "What a Lovely Way to Burn" CD-R? And if it IS better, can you tell me where I might be able to purchase this? Thanks for your help!

Topic author
BigredG

Post by BigredG »

I am not familiar with the CDr, but it would not surprise me if it is the same source!! One certain way to check is to listen to the cdr and if the tape slips on the 2001/Opening vamp it is most likely the same!!

Ebay is your best bet for any and all import cds.

deadringer
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Sound quality

Post by deadringer »

Sorry boys, some of your comments sounds like straight promotion of this awful CD. The reality:

The CD sound is terrible. No sound restoration, no remastering at all. The sound is muddy, unclear, hissy, with dropouts. Even worse, both channels are overloaded and the peaks are clipped. It was made by someone who don't know how to work with the sound using sound card. And even worse, there are small silence clicks between each two tracks, again, it prove the fact that it was "released" by someone who know nothing about the sound and how to make correct live CD master (correct length of track in samples).

Design = 0, but with such shi*ty CD it's not important anyway. Ah, I forgot to tell that the show is good but in this quality it's unbearable to listen.

Promocollector

Re: Sound quality

Post by Promocollector »

deadringer wrote:Sorry boys, some of your comments sounds like straight promotion of this awful CD. The reality:

The CD sound is terrible. No sound restoration, no remastering at all. The sound is muddy, unclear, hissy, with dropouts. Even worse, both channels are overloaded and the peaks are clipped. It was made by someone who don't know how to work with the sound using sound card. And even worse, there are small silence clicks between each two tracks, again, it prove the fact that it was "released" by someone who know nothing about the sound and how to make correct live CD master (correct length of track in samples).

Design = 0, but with such shi*ty CD it's not important anyway. Ah, I forgot to tell that the show is good but in this quality it's unbearable to listen.

Finally an honest review!!

NEVER trust a sellers review.Its funny how all of BIGREDG's reviews of cd's that he sells on ebay are ALL good.

Rob

Post by Rob »

The show is pretty good. I was disappointed with the sound quality though. Probably not one I'll listen to very often.

Still, it's not a bad addition to the collection because I do like the November 1972 shows.

Big Boss Man
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by Big Boss Man »

This is one tour that I really hope FTD is able to give us a release from.
Elvis was truly "on his game" during this tour, based on the evidence of the audience recordings that have surfaced. :D

Topic author
BigredG

Re: Sound quality

Post by BigredG »

Promocollector wrote:
deadringer wrote:Sorry boys, some of your comments sounds like straight promotion of this awful CD. The reality:

Finally an honest review!!

NEVER trust a sellers review.Its funny how all of BIGREDG's reviews of cd's that he sells on ebay are ALL good.
Now that is a scandalous thing to say. :evil:

I review the Cds I get as honestly as possible. I recently made an appeal right here for more reviewers as there seems precious few who bother.

We don't care what they like is not a Cd I would sell on ebay but I reviewed it because I was blown away with the sound of that release.

Tucson is a good show in very listenable quality for this type of CD. I never said it was brilliant.

Do I know you Promo collector?

deadringer
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

SOUND

Post by deadringer »

Bigredg, please tell me right here: I am wrong when I wrote that the sound is amateurishly overloaded and peaks are clipped? Am I wrong whne I mentioned that there are annoying clicks between each two tracks as a result of quantification process ? Am I wrong when I wrote that there are dropouts all over the disc ? Tnx.

Topic author
BigredG

Re: SOUND

Post by BigredG »

deadringer wrote:Bigredg, please tell me right here: I am wrong when I wrote that the sound is amateurishly overloaded and peaks are clipped? Am I wrong whne I mentioned that there are annoying clicks between each two tracks as a result of quantification process ? Am I wrong when I wrote that there are dropouts all over the disc ? Tnx.
Deadringer - I am sure you are right, although I do not have the show to hand at this moment. I have no beef with what you said.

I have no idea what quantification or clipped peaks actually means. I am just an average fan and my reviews were aimed at average fans, not sound experts. Technically flawed - no doubt - but an enjoyable show to listen to if you did not already own a CDr or MP3 of it.

Of course lots of people don't like audience recordings at all, and that is fair enough.

I am sure you can do a much better review than I of all the new releases, so I will leave the reviewing to you and others in future, lest I be further accused of using the forum as free advertising space for Cds I do not even sell!!

I look forward to many informative reviews - don't let us down.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Everyone hears something different whether it be on an audience recording or a soundboard. Just because someone says the sound is good does not necessarily mean that everyone will agree. People have different standards for audience recordings. For me, if I cannot understand what Elvis is saying, it is a bad recording. It's easy to identify the song even on the worst audience recordings (and I've heard my share of them.)
However, if the dialogue is clear, you normally have at least a decent sounding audience recording.

Remember....the reviews given here are strictly in the opinion of the reviewer. YOU make the final decision on whether or not to purchase the CD. I never go by a review when trying to decide whether or not to buy. I made the decision to get this one. It's not a great sounding recording to my ears. However, it is clear enough to understand all dialogue. If you want a great audience recording, this is not for you. However, if you are a completist or like the November '72 shows as I do, get it. You'll probably find it enjoyable.

BIGRED -
Keep your reviews coming. I usually get the new CD's when they become available. If you post something that I differ with concerning a show, I'll let you know what I hear differently.

Fair enough?