Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Your Love's Been a Long Time Coming

Post by Fabbe »

Anybody else likes this one? This version is with no choir and overdubs

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

elvisland
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Mood:

Re: Your Love's Been a Long Time Coming

Post by elvisland »

Brilliant track

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jeanno »

Terrible track. The king of MOR in all its splendor.

MRM
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by MRM »

jeanno on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 am wrote:Terrible track. The king of MOR in all its splendor.
You don't have to like anything, but Elvis always liked middle of the road. Even when he did "Reconsider Baby" or rocking tracks, he was just as happy to sing "Spanish Eyes." Private home recordings throughout his life prove that. They weren't always my taste, but he tired of being the "king of rock and roll" more than a decade before he cut this song.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Its OK. Just the normal 70's unexciting badly produced track thats a bit a cut above the real mundane stuff.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Rob »

I love the opening line of the song.

I liked the song from the moment I heard it.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by jetblack »

I enjoy 'Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming' a LOT.

The 'Promised Land' album has always been a 1970's favourite of mine.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

MRM on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm wrote:
jeanno on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 am wrote:Terrible track. The king of MOR in all its splendor.
You don't have to like anything, but Elvis always liked middle of the road. Even when he did "Reconsider Baby" or rocking tracks, he was just as happy to sing "Spanish Eyes." Private home recordings throughout his life prove that. They weren't always my taste, but he tired of being the "king of rock and roll" more than a decade before he cut this song.
I like something "middle of the road" like I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY, which is quality song and nice performance despite Elvis not being in top form.
On the other hand, Your Love's Been a Long Time Coming is no quality material in my humble opinion. He deserved much better compositions than that. But I do not believe that he really cared about it at that point of his career.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Rob »

jetblack on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am wrote:The 'Promised Land' album has always been a 1970's favourite of mine.
Mine, too.

It was given to me as a present shortly after it came out by a little red-haired girl who used her allowance to pay for it. We were both 13 years old at the time. Her birthday was only weeks away and I had planned to get her something special. She was killed in an automobile accident before her birthday ever came.

That album remains special to this day.

Take away the night, sing away my hurt, Mr. Songman.

We both loved that song.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Fabbe on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:30 am wrote:Anybody else likes this one? This version is with no choir and overdubs

I'm not a huge fan of this recording, but when I do listen to it, I'm reminded that it was sung with his daughter Lisa in mind.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

brian
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by brian »

I kinda like the sing it's gotta good groove and Elvis really gets into it when singing it. It was pleasant enough album filler.

Elfan
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Elfan »

I really like the song. One of my favourites.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years

Post by jurasic1968 »

No, I don't like this song.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by elvis-fan »

Fabbe on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 am wrote:Anybody else likes this one?
I do not.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Like/liked it enough to start a thread on it! :)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95281

timothy_sideburns
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by timothy_sideburns »

To my ears it's weak Nashville country filler, a plodding uninspired song. Elvis sounds like he's not that familiar with the melody, it's hesitant in places. But he was of course the greatest singer of the 20th century so even a turd like this one sounds polished and shiny with Elvis at the helm. :lol:

MRM

Post by MRM »

jeanno on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 pm wrote:
I like something "middle of the road" like I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY, which is quality song and nice performance despite Elvis not being in top form.
On the other hand, Your Love's Been a Long Time Coming is no quality material in my humble opinion. He deserved much better compositions than that. But I do not believe that he really cared about it at that point of his career.
I guess we define "MOR" differently. "I've Got a Thing..." is more uptempo to me than a typical MOR track. As for this particular song, it's just OK to me. Elvis liked it enough to rehearse it for his August 1974 Vegas performances, although I don't think he took it to the stage.

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

MRM on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:10 pm wrote:
I guess we define "MOR" differently. "I've Got a Thing..." is more uptempo to me than a typical MOR track. As for this particular song, it's just OK to me. Elvis liked it enough to rehearse it for his August 1974 Vegas performances, although I don't think he took it to the stage.
I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY might not be the best example as it is not MOR but more of a combination of Country and Soul. It still shows that Elvis could take midtempo stuff (no rocker but no bombast eather) and create some nice driving beat so good to listen to. But again, that's just my opinion.

Jukebox Jam
BANNED - FREQUENT RETURNING MEMBER
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Jukebox Jam »

elvisland on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 am wrote:Brilliant track
jeanno wrote:Terrible track. The king of MOR in all its splendor.
r&b wrote:Its OK.
jetblack wrote:I enjoy 'Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming' a LOT.
jurasic1968 wrote:No, I don't like this song.
Elfan wrote:I really like the song. One of my favourites.
Elvis fans. :D

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm not a huge fan of this recording, but when I do listen to it, I'm reminded that it was sung with his daughter Lisa in mind.
I've never before thought of it in that light, drjohncarpenter. 8)

Rob wrote:I love the opening line of the song.
I liked the song from the moment I heard it.
Rob wrote:
jetblack on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am wrote:The 'Promised Land' album has always been a 1970's favourite of mine.
Mine, too.
It was given to me as a present shortly after it came out by a little red-haired girl who used her allowance to pay for it. We were both 13 years old at the time. Her birthday was only weeks away and I had planned to get her something special. She was killed in an automobile accident before her birthday ever came. That album remains special to this day.

Take away the night, sing away my hurt, Mr. Songman.
We both loved that song.
Thank you for sharing that personal story with us, Rob.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Fabbe on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am wrote:Anybody else likes this one? This version is with no choir and overdubs

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
I love this song. One of my favourite ’70s tracks.

Jukebox Jam

Post by Jukebox Jam »

Here's what I think of this song . . .

Elvis ~ THE "OTHER" 50 GREATEST LOVE SONGS
Presented in semi-chronological order from the 1950s to the 1970s...

CD 1
1 - Blue Moon 2:40
2 - Playing For Keeps 2:50
3 - Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? 2:30
4 - Don't Leave Me Now (album version) 1:58
5 - Is It So Strange 2:28
6 - I Need You So 2:37
7 - Tell Me Why 2:06
8 - Doncha' Think It's Time (single version) 1:56
9 - All Shook Up 1:57
10 - Young Dreams (Thorne Nogar mono mix) 2:22
11 - My Wish Came True 2:33
12 - Soldier Boy 3:05
13 - Fever 3:32
14 - It Feels So Right 2:09
15 - Tonight Is So Right For Love 2:12 (master take remix from FTD Cafe Europa, G.I. Blues Vol. 2)
16 - Give Me The Right 2:32
17 - They Remind Me Too Much Of You 2:31
18 - No More 2:21
19 - Ku-u-i-po 2:20
20 - Angel 2:37
21 - Ask Me 2:06
22 - I'm Yours (Special new edit / composite single version with spoken part added) 2:23
23 - The Lady Loves Me (duet with Ann-Margret) 3:43
24 - Puppet On A String 2:39
25 - Never Ending 1:58
26 - Memories 3:06
27 - Mama Liked The Roses 2:47

CD 2
1 - I Need Somebody To Lean On 3:01
2 - Anything That's Part of You - take 8 - 2:08
3 - Indescribably Blue 2:47
4 - Without Love (There Is Nothing) 2:52
5 - Only The Strong Survive 2:41
6 - Words - (live August 25,1969 ms) 2:41
7 - And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind 3:09
8 - The Next Step Is Love 3:31
9 - Just Pretend 4:02
10 - Kentucky Rain 3:21
11 - Separate Ways 2:35
12 - Loving Arms 2:49
13 - Are You Sincere? 1:59
14 - I've Got A Thing About You Baby 2:20
15 - Something - (live January 14,1973) 3:26
16 - Welcome To My World - (live January 14,1973) 1:57
17 - Let Me Be There - (live March 20,1974) 3:33
18 - Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming 2:53
19 - True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 2:37
20 - You Asked Me To - take 3A - 2:58
21 - For The Heart 3:28
22 - Pledging My Love 2:49
23 - I Can't Stop Loving You - (live June 10,1972 es) 2:45
Bonus Song -
24 - A Thing Called Love 2:24

MRM

Post by MRM »

jeanno on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm wrote:
I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY might not be the best example as it is not MOR but more of a combination of Country and Soul. It still shows that Elvis could take midtempo stuff (no rocker but no bombast eather) and create some nice driving beat so good to listen to. But again, that's just my opinion.
I've always enjoyed IGATAYB, but I feel Elvis' vocal is not quite as good as it should be. Still a very enjoyable track that did well on the country chart and should have done at least a little better than scraping into the top 40 pop. Since it apparently sold well, it must have achieved that position with almost no pop radio airplay.

Jukebox Jam

Post by Jukebox Jam »

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

MRM on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 pm wrote:
jeanno on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm wrote:
I've always enjoyed IGATAYB, but I feel Elvis' vocal is not quite as good as it should be. Still a very enjoyable track that did well on the country chart and should have done at least a little better than scraping into the top 40 pop. Since it apparently sold well, it must have achieved that position with almost no pop radio airplay.
I agree 100%!

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

MRM on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 pm wrote: I've always enjoyed IGATAYB, but I feel Elvis' vocal is not quite as good as it should be. Still a very enjoyable track that did well on the country chart and should have done at least a little better than scraping into the top 40 pop. Since it apparently sold well, it must have achieved that position with almost no pop radio airplay.
Agreed. The vocal is in a state of deterioration. The recording is considered one of the session's highlights, and rightly so considering the uneven nature of the overall quality of material, but Elvis is not at his best.