"Make The World Go Away"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

"Make The World Go Away"

Post by Juan Luis »

Recorded by Elvis Presley on June 8, 1970 at RCA Studio B, Nashville. Produced by Felton Jarvis with Al Pachucki behind the console.

This great country classic standard was composed by Hank Cochran, and first recorded and released by Ray Price in 1963. A major hit for Eddie Arnold in 1965, scoring a #1 country and adult contemporary, plus a very respectable #6 in the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.

"Make The World Go Away" in my opinion, provides a nice heartfelt closing to the great "Elvis Country" 1971 released album.

I was overjoyed when I saw and heard Elvis's live (8-70) version when it was first released on the "Lost Performances" VHS/Laserdisc. I love it, still!
I was a bit perplexed about the "Roy Acuff" joke, and what on Earth did he have to do with the song. Later, years later. I noticed the publishing for the song had Rose and Roy Acuff ! That's a possible reason his name popped inside Elvis's head and came out with the little joke (I know Elvis just meant an old recorded song),... "before Roy Acuff was born..which was around eighteen hundred"! :)

Chucky99

Re: "Make The World Go Away"

Post by Chucky99 »

Very Nice song.I like the live version better.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Good version and good close to the Elvis Country album.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Grew up on Eddy Arnold's version. Elvis' studio master is definitive even with overdubs. Great album closer. Live version didn't come close. The last track on his last great album. So many possibilities all squandered away carelessly. Sad.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

The studio version is just beautiful. Gotta love that guitar...and the voice of course.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

I love both the studio and live versions.

I agree 'The Lost Performances' (1992) was an amazing release. Now here we are 25 years later and STILL no official DVD. It's a crime. :shock:

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Always liked it live.
He also performed a nice version in 73.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Johnny2523 wrote:Always liked it live.
He also performed a nice version in 73.
I like it live too...

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Scarre wrote:The studio version is just beautiful. Gotta love that guitar...and the voice of course.
And the lovely post-production.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

Juan Luis wrote:Recorded by Elvis Presley on June 8, 1970 at RCA Studio B, Nashville. Produced by Felton Jarvis with Al Pachucki behind the console.

This great country classic standard was composed by Hank Cochran, and first recorded and released by Ray Price in 1963. A major hit for Eddie Arnold in 1965, scoring a #1 country and adult contemporary, plus a very respectable #6 in the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.

"Make The World Go Away" in my opinion, provides a nice heartfelt closing to the great "Elvis Country" 1971 released album.

I was overjoyed when I saw and heard Elvis's live (8-70) version when it was first released on the "Lost Performances" VHS/Laserdisc. I love it, still!
I was a bit perplexed about the "Roy Acuff" joke, and what on Earth did he have to do with the song. Later, years later. I noticed the publishing for the song had Rose and Roy Acuff ! That's a possible reason his name popped inside Elvis's head and came out with the little joke (I know Elvis just meant an old recorded song),... "before Roy Acuff was born..which was around eighteen hundred"! :)
Thanks, Juan. The master is one of the most delicious vocals the King ever put on tape. Just perfect.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

SteamrollerBlues

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

r&b wrote:Good version and good close to the Elvis Country album.
I echo your words here, r&b. I do wish Elvis would have kept it in his show regularly, but only as long as he stayed committed with the vocal -- but I feel this song was right up his alley, and he did really well with it.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

midnightx wrote:
Scarre wrote:The studio version is just beautiful. Gotta love that guitar...and the voice of course.
Yes, makes the result sounding great. I´m in it for the music...and it sounds great.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Scarre wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Yes, makes the result sounding great. I´m in it for the music...and it sounds great.
Yes. I believe by 1970 Elvis mastered country music, with his soulful and sometimes bluesy delivery, making it palatable to a mainstream public that otherwise would not embrace it. The "sweetening" adds great contrast. Just perfect, in my opinion.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Classic song sung with great care,excellent.

-instagram kenh1964

Eggrert

Post by Eggrert »

I've always hated Elvis' version of the song, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one! It comes across as plodding rather than mournful, imo, and the backing vocals are some of the most annoying of his studio career.

I'm not a big fan of the song in any case, though I do think that the Mickey Gilley version is pretty decent.

Topic author
The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Other than Elvis', my favorite version would be the one by Donny and Marie Osmond which came out in 1975. And before anybody asks, no, I didn't come out the following year.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Thanks Juan for reminding us of this great Elvis cover. I really like the studio arrangement of this song. The arrangement (yes, even the strings and horns, etc) suits Elvis well for that time period. The arrangement and Elvis voice come together for a nicely produced performance.
I too like the live performance from TTWII and the one on the FTD release The Impossible Dream CD.
Thanks also for the possible insight to the Roy Acuff "joke." I never got that either!

rlj

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks Juan for reminding us of this great Elvis cover. I really like the studio arrangement of this song. The arrangement (yes, even the strings and horns, etc) suits Elvis well for that time period. The arrangement and Elvis voice come together for a nicely produced performance.
I too like the live performance from TTWII and the one on the FTD release The Impossible Dream CD.
Thanks also for the possible insight to the Roy Acuff "joke." I never got that either!

rlj
You're very welcome!

TINML

Post by TINML »

Great performance and damn good production work on the master. But I'm partial to the live 1970 version.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

The live version in Lost Performances was the only TTWII performance that I felt was good enough to have been in the original movie. It's great. Of course, the studio take is better.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Thanks Juan Luis for another great posting....I really love this performance by Elvis be it live or studio...its a country master piece ...

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ciscoking wrote:Thanks Juan Luis for another great posting....I really love this performance by Elvis be it live or studio...its a country master piece ...
You'e welcome and thanks!

musiclover1979

Post by musiclover1979 »

Eddy Arnold capitalized on the death of Jim Reeves.

He dressed up in the style of Reeves and recorded his own version of "Make the World Go Away" which was one of Reeves' last recordings. Shameful!

He managed to get the hit because Jim Reeves' version wasn't released yet. I think Reeves version never made it to a single.

Eddy Arnold surely was no Jim Reeves. His vocal pales compared to the masterful vocal by Reeves.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

musiclover1979 wrote:Eddy Arnold capitalized on the death of Jim Reeves.

He dressed up in the style of Reeves and recorded his own version of "Make the World Go Away" which was one of Reeves' last recordings. Shameful!

He managed to get the hit because Jim Reeves' version wasn't released yet. I think Reeves version never made it to a single.

Eddy Arnold surely was no Jim Reeves. His vocal pales compared to the masterful vocal by Reeves.

But the song was out already for two years. Eddie Arnold wasn't the first to release it.

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

Love the Alison Krauss version too ..

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)