Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Re: AMAZON.DE A Boy from Tupelo 3 CD Box Set NOW WITH PHOTO

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Brian Quinn wrote:'A Boy From Tupelo' is a new entry at 82 on the UK w/e album charts. Very poor sales of around (or just over) 1,000 copies. Personally I did not expect it to enter the charts at all in that many fans already have the original (including myself). The price of nearly £25, although good value, is beyond most people's pockets.

Brian
Well if it doesn´t sell well at least I hope it wins a Grammy nomination! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

KevinK
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by KevinK »

TINML wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:'A Boy From Tupelo' is a new entry at 82 on the UK w/e album charts. Very poor sales of around (or just over) 1,000 copies. Personally I did not expect it to enter the charts at all in that many fans already have the original (including myself). The price of nearly £25, although good value, is beyond most people's pockets.

Brian
Did it get any substantial promo in the UK? Or just a few write ups in newspapers and magazines? I hope it does better in the US but it's unlikely.
Not sure about UK, but I saw nothing about it in Ireland. Only social media postings in general..

sheila
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by sheila »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisflash wrote:
sheila wrote:Was there any new Elvis photo added in the booklet?
I have to check, but when opening the new book I couldn't recall if the opening photo Elvis on his bike (Memphis 1949) was in the original or not ...
It's a 2017 addition. But I suspect the bulk of the booklet is drawn from the revelatory, 500 page hardcover book published by FTD in 2012.
JEEZ!
So after all that "I know everything about this project" you haven't even seen a copy yet!!!
drjohncarpenter wrote:
laservampire wrote:Well in good news the wire recording of "I Forgot To Remember" sounds fantastic, about on par with the Aug 20 Hayride tracks. Worlds better than the old youtube video and well worth re-buying the set for.
"My Happiness" is the same remastering as the 2012 set, unfortunately they didn't use the new Third Man/Jack White transfer of the acetate.
As noted, Sony/RCA had access to the wire recording, and did not use the YouTube audio. Also, no changes were made to Disc 1. That said, the sound on "My Happiness" is excellent.
AND if this is the case "As noted, Sony/RCA had access to the wire recording" why does the book state that "Taken from a damaged tape recording" and not the wire directly?
Please, if you are going to bang on about the topic it would be better if you actually had seen a copy first!
Cheers
Piers
You need to quit posting falsehood on this forum. This is not the first time I have asked, yet you continue on as above. It does not make you look very good to behave in such fashion, so stop.

My comment about the booklet is written precisely because I have not done an A-B comparison with the 2012 book and, unlike some, I do not like to make definitive replies unless I have done the work. But I am confident the answer I gave to sheila is accurate.

The booklet makes the statement because magnetic wire recording is so obscure these days that few will understand a reference to it. Below is some information for you, so you can be up to speed on this outmoded technology, instead of posting accusations in bold print, and using multiple exclamation points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_recording

Thank You. The new photo of Elvis that was from 1955 backstage without the shirt. i thought it may be in the new booklet as the new song was added. New photos has been popping up and thought it might be in the book. i didn't want to miss anything. Thanks to you, Doc! You really helped. :smt006 ::rocks

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

REVIEW. Another perspective:

Book with new Elvis offering is better than the music
By Jeff Simon | Published August 3, 2017 | Updated August 3, 2017

Elvis Presley, "A Boy From Tupelo: The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings" (RCA Legacy, 3-discs plus 119-page book)

The enclosed book is one of the best written enclosures in any deluxe Elvis package. Lord only knows, then, why it's such hard work detecting who the author was of the terrific weekly chronology of Elvis' young life between 1953 and 1955.

It turns out to be Ernst Mikael Jorgensen, not exactly a household name but a man who did first-rate work. Unfortunately, the music here in this punctiliously accurate portrait of larval Elvis emerging in Memphis from his musical egg and being recorded wretchedly far too often doesn't begin to be worthy of what went into the book.

Once upon a time, the best of this three-disc set was called "The Sun Sessions" and it was always known as some of the primal music in all of rock, the moment when Elvis and Sam Phillips changed American ears forever. Some of the live performances memorialized here are interesting but there's so much music wretchedly recorded that it has no chance of winning affection from anyone but completists more interested in his life than his music. And even there, the enclosed book satisfies them in ways that the musical scrapings from the bottom never could. One disc is good here, the other two are for Elvis fanatics.

3 stars (out of four)
Source: http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/03/book-new-elvis-offering-better-music/

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

KevinK
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by KevinK »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Elvis Presley, "A Boy From Tupelo: The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings" (RCA Legacy, 3-discs plus 119-page book)

The enclosed book is one of the best written enclosures in any deluxe Elvis package. Lord only knows, then, why it's such hard work detecting who the author was of the terrific weekly chronology of Elvis' young life between 1953 and 1955.

It turns out to be Ernst Mikael Jorgensen, not exactly a household name but a man who did first-rate work. Unfortunately, the music here in this punctiliously accurate portrait of larval Elvis emerging in Memphis from his musical egg and being recorded wretchedly far too often doesn't begin to be worthy of what went into the book.

Once upon a time, the best of this three-disc set was called "The Sun Sessions" and it was always known as some of the primal music in all of rock, the moment when Elvis and Sam Phillips changed American ears forever. Some of the live performances memorialized here are interesting but there's so much music wretchedly recorded that it has no chance of winning affection from anyone but completists more interested in his life than his music. And even there, the enclosed book satisfies them in ways that the musical scrapings from the bottom never could. One disc is good here, the other two are for Elvis fanatics.

3 stars (out of four)

Interesting review. However I wouldn't agree whole-heartedly about the latter 2 discs being for 'Elvis fanatics'. I know I am one, but speaking, for example, as someone who 'enjoys' many Hank Williams songs, I also enjoy listening to the lesser known, poorly recorded material that is available out there. So I'm sure there are folks out there who 'enjoy' Elvis music, who would also enjoy at least one of the other discs on this (frankly) amazing compilation.

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

KevinK wrote:
Interesting review. However I wouldn't agree whole-heartedly about the latter 2 discs being for 'Elvis fanatics'. I know I am one, but speaking, for example, as someone who 'enjoys' many Hank Williams songs, I also enjoy listening to the lesser known, poorly recorded material that is available out there. So I'm sure there are folks out there who 'enjoy' Elvis music, who would also enjoy at least one of the other discs on this (frankly) amazing compilation.
You reflect my thoughts exactly. Guess we're music fanatics :wink:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by iplayastrat »

Mike Windgren wrote:
Well if it doesn´t sell well at least I hope it wins a Grammy nomination! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

I'm hoping for more than a nomination.

My escape from society continues...

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
iplayastrat wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

I'm hoping for more than a nomination.
If it doesn´t get a nomination it can´t get a Grammy..... :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:REVIEW. Another perspective:

3 stars (out of four)

"this punctiliously accurate portrait of larval Elvis emerging in Memphis from his musical egg ..."

Ugh.

Not an especially well-written review, perhaps it was dashed off. Not a single song is mentioned by name. Not a hint of what makes those five Sun singles so very special in American music. Oh well.

In any case, thanks for the find.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisflash wrote:
sheila wrote:Was there any new Elvis photo added in the booklet?
I have to check, but when opening the new book I couldn't recall if the opening photo Elvis on his bike (Memphis 1949) was in the original or not ...
It's a 2017 addition. But I suspect the bulk of the booklet is drawn from the revelatory, 500 page hardcover book published by FTD in 2012.
JEEZ!
So after all that "I know everything about this project" you haven't even seen a copy yet!!!
drjohncarpenter wrote:
laservampire wrote:Well in good news the wire recording of "I Forgot To Remember" sounds fantastic, about on par with the Aug 20 Hayride tracks. Worlds better than the old youtube video and well worth re-buying the set for.
"My Happiness" is the same remastering as the 2012 set, unfortunately they didn't use the new Third Man/Jack White transfer of the acetate.
As noted, Sony/RCA had access to the wire recording, and did not use the YouTube audio. Also, no changes were made to Disc 1. That said, the sound on "My Happiness" is excellent.
AND if this is the case "As noted, Sony/RCA had access to the wire recording" why does the book state that "Taken from a damaged tape recording" and not the wire directly?
Please, if you are going to bang on about the topic it would be better if you actually had seen a copy first!
Cheers
Piers
You need to quit posting falsehood on this forum. This is not the first time I have asked, yet you continue on as above. It does not make you look very good to behave in such fashion, so stop.

My comment about the booklet is written precisely because I have not done an A-B comparison with the 2012 book and, unlike some, I do not like to make definitive replies unless I have done the work. But I am confident the answer I gave to sheila is accurate.
The booklet makes the statement because magnetic wire recording is so obscure these days that few will understand a reference to it. Below is some information for you, so you can be up to speed on this outmoded technology, instead of posting accusations in bold print, and using multiple exclamation points.
I am sorry, :wtf:
Before you CLEARLY posted the falsehood that "SONY had access to the wire recording".
However as stated in the book the actual version comes from a badly damaged TAPE COPY.

so the version we hear does not come from the "original wire recording" but a damaged tape copy of that source.
Where is the falsehood?
Why does it not say "badly damaged wire recording" and, after all, earlier the booklet does explain the obscureness of magnetic wire recordings.

If you mean that Ernst bought a copy of the original wire recording from the finder - then we already knew that since that news was posted on this forum a couple of years back.
(Amberola I think he was. He corresponded with me at the time as he was annoyed because Elvis Australia would not take down their YouTube copy despite many requests)

However since you are always being pernickety about FECC members postings and their correctness in stating facts, then I was not making any falsehood.
The new IFTRTF does come from a tape copy.
PS it does sound great I agree.

Cheers
Piers

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

3 stars (out of four)

Just what we needed.

Another Thelonious Monk fan writing about rock and roll music.

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:Just what we needed.

According to the newspaper, Jeff SImon has been the Buffalo News Arts and Books Editor for at least four decades. If you look at his recent work, you can see he's not a jazz snob, he writes about everything: TV, film, books and music.

http://buffalonews.com/author/jeff_simon/

In the case of the Elvis review, though, his lack of effort is obvious. Nice "King Creole" PR shot though.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Just what we needed.

According to the newspaper, Jeff SImon has been the Buffalo News Arts and Books Editor for at least four decades. If you look at his recent work, you can see he's not a jazz snob, he writes about everything: TV, film, books and music.

In the case of the Elvis review, though, his lack of effort is obvious. Nice "King Creole" PR shot though.
Yes, I looked it up too, that's why I mentioned Monk.

This was published just yesterday, and he appears to be pretty close to jazz, and Monk :

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/04/editors-choice-epistrophies-jazz-literary-imagination-brent-hayes-edwards/

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:According to the newspaper, Jeff SImon has been the Buffalo News Arts and Books Editor for at least four decades. If you look at his recent work, you can see he's not a jazz snob, he writes about everything: TV, film, books and music.

This was published just yesterday, and he appears to be pretty close to jazz, and Monk :

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/04/editors-choice-epistrophies-jazz-literary-imagination-brent-hayes-edwards/
Simon writes about many different subjects, as his title and the 2017 examples on that page prove.

Not sure what you fixation is about jazz.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:According to the newspaper, Jeff SImon has been the Buffalo News Arts and Books Editor for at least four decades. If you look at his recent work, you can see he's not a jazz snob, he writes about everything: TV, film, books and music.

Simon writes about many different subjects, as his title and the 2017 examples on that page prove.

Not sure what you fixation is about jazz.
Jazz is not my thing, but I can dig it, and I have lots of jazz records and stuff.

I just don't like jazz fans' condescending attitude towards other musical styles, especially rock and roll.

I hope you can understand it now. :)

K.C.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by K.C. »

Brian

Here are some more charts for this week:

The “A Boy From Tupelo” set is a new entry on the Official UK Vinyl Album charts at #23 this week.
The “Real Elvis” compilation climbed from #35 to #32 on the Official Scottish Album charts.
The “A Boy From Tupelo” set is a new entry on the Official Scottish Album charts at #52 this week.
The “A Boy From Tupelo” set is a new entry on the Official Belgian Album charts at #95 this week.

Providing Daily Elvis Updates since 1999.
Your daily Elvis News Blog: http://www.ElvisDayByDay.com
Elvis Day By Day Yearbooks available https://www.poplartunes.com

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

This will be one fine saturdaymorning!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

3 stars (out of four)

Although lacking in detail, especially as far as the music is concerned, this is a pretty favorable review. Disc two and three won't appeal to the general public. Why would they? Only the first disc is likely to receive repeated plays. The other discs are for people willing to dig a little deeper.

marvan
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by marvan »

More chartnews :
ABFT is a new entry at # 67 on the German Top 100.
ABFT is a new entry at # 95 on the Belgian Top 200 ( Flandres )
ABFT is a new entry at # 54 on the Belgian Top 200 ( Wallonie )
Vinyl LP is a new entry at # 161 on the Belgian To 200 ( Wallonie )
Vinyl LP is a new entry at # 14 on Dutch Vinyl 33.

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by Eggrert »

I finally got a chance to start listening to this set today...it's fantastic! The masters sound absolutely fabulous here. I've never been that wild about Elvis At Sun (it sounds a bit too "clean" for my tastes), but the ABFT mastering is deliciously raw yet detailed. Just Because, in particular, is a revelation, imo, with the repaired intro and Scotty's guitar sounding better than ever.

Laser- Freak
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Laser- Freak »

marvan wrote:More chartnews....
And not to forget: #277 in Australia! :lol:

1,978 sold albums in the USA = #117 Top 200 Albums

Deleted User 1099

Today, my wife texted me and informed me that A Boy from Tupelo was waiting for me at home. It's a beautiful mini version of the book. I love it. Not had the chance to listen to the discs yet, though, but it was nice to get a nod from Ernst. As for that picture of Elvis on the bicycle, I'm pretty sure it's not in the book. Also, it looks like all or at least most of the text from the FTD book is in the Sony booklet. Can anyone confirm that?

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Ken Jensen wrote:Today, my wife texted me and informed me that A Boy from Tupelo was waiting for me at home. It's a beautiful mini version of the book. I love it. Not had the chance to listen to the discs yet, though, but it was nice to get a nod from Ernst. As for that picture of Elvis on the bicycle, I'm pretty sure it's not in the book. Also, it looks like all or at least most of the text from the FTD book is in the Sony booklet. Can anyone confirm that?
Just curious, how did you help Ernst with this project?

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Deleted User 1099

Mike C wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:Today, my wife texted me and informed me that A Boy from Tupelo was waiting for me at home. It's a beautiful mini version of the book. I love it. Not had the chance to listen to the discs yet, though, but it was nice to get a nod from Ernst. As for that picture of Elvis on the bicycle, I'm pretty sure it's not in the book. Also, it looks like all or at least most of the text from the FTD book is in the Sony booklet. Can anyone confirm that?
I had nothing to do with the Sony version directly, but I proofread the FTD book.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Ken Jensen wrote:
Mike C wrote:
I had nothing to do with the Sony version directly, but I proofread the FTD book.
Thanks and very cool.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher