Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

The Elvis Songs of Roy C. Bennett*

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Following the theme which Jetblack set in with "The Elvis Songs of Aaron Schroeder" (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93460#p1499533), and which was followed by "The Elvis Songs of Winfield Scott" (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93535#p1500657) and "The Elvis Songs of Jerry Chestnut", we now dig into:

The Elvis Songs of Roy C. Bennett*
Roy C. Bennett

Songwriter Roy C. Bennett, left, with writing partner Sid Tepper.

Roy C. Bennett (August 12, 1918 – July 2, 2015) was an American songwriter known for the songs he wrote with Sid Tepper, which spawned several hits for Elvis Presley. Between 1945 and 1970, Tepper and Bennett published over 300 songs, including 42 recorded by Elvis.

Biography
Born as Israel Brodsky into an Eastern European immigrant family in Brooklyn, New York, as a young boy he befriended a newly arrived neighbor by the name of Sid Tepper. Their mutual interest in music led to a highly successful music collaboration that spanned more than twenty-five years.

Bennett graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in the East New York neighborhood in Brooklyn, then he studied music at City College of New York. Although blessed with a good singing voice he chose to pursue his lifelong interest in writing words and music. His career plans were interrupted by World War II, however, when he served with the United States Army Air Forces. After the war he joined ASCAP and worked as a staff writer for Mills Music Inc. (now EMI Mills Music Inc.)

Partnered with Tepper, between 1945 and 1970 Bennett had close to three hundred musical compositions published. In 1948 they wrote "Red Roses for a Blue Lady" first recorded by Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians (credits Roy Brodsky and Sid Tepper) and was a No.3 hit single for vocalist Vaughn Monroe.

The song has been recorded by others such as Wayne Newton, Vic Dana, Eddy Arnold and Andy Williams. Bennett and Tepper scored big again in 1951 when Rosemary Clooney recorded their composition "Suzy Snowflake."

In 1955, their 1954 composition of "Naughty Lady of Shady Lane" was a top-10 hit for both Dean Martin and the Ames Brothers and the novelty song "Nuttin' for Christmas" by the Art Mooney band and singer Barry J. Gordon went to No. 6 on the music charts and was recorded by four other singers. In 1958, the popular singer and TV variety show host Perry Como had a top-10 hit with their "Kewpie Doll."

Other successful artists who recorded Bennett & Tepper songs include The Beatles ("Glad All Over" which appears on The Beatles At The BBC), Connie Francis, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Robert Goulet, Dinah Shore, Burl Ives, Eartha Kitt, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Marty Robbins, Jo Stafford, Wayne Newton, and Sarah Vaughan. While these songs were very important in the music world, they prospered significantly with the onset of rock and roll music. They wrote fifteen songs for British superstar Cliff Richard, including his biggest selling single ever, "The Young Ones" which was also used in Richard's 1961 motion picture of the same name and two decades later in the 1982–84 UK television series with the same title, The Young Ones. In 2002, Mr. Bennett was invited to England to meet Cliff Richard and sang "The Young Ones" with him before an audience of 12,000 people in Birmingham.

Most significant in his career are the forty-two songs recorded by Elvis Presley. These songs, co-written with Tepper, appear on a number of Presley's music albums and film soundtracks.

Their collaboration ended in the 1970s when Tepper suffered a heart attack and retired to Florida. Bennett remained active, and published the Choral Singer's Handbook[1] which still in print today.[2] Fascinated by the desktop computer, he created a software program called PowerMacros for WordPerfect.

In 2002 Bennett and Tepper were honored at ceremonies in Memphis, Tennessee by Lisa Marie Presley for their contribution to her father's success. They were also honored for having written almost half the album in Presley fans favorite, Blue Hawaii. Tepper died in April 2015, while Bennett died on July 2 of the same year in Queens, New York, at the age of 96

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_C._Bennett

Roy C. Bennett dies at 96; co-creator of movie songs for Elvis Presley
By David Colker | July 19, 2015

Songwriter Roy C. Bennett co-wrote more than 40 songs recorded by Elvis Presley. None of them were major hits, but Bennett and writing partner Sid Tepper were not rock 'n' roll tunesmiths — they wrote ballads and novelty songs that Elvis sang in his popular movies.

Some Elvis historians look down on the movie songs — such as the duo's "Song of the Shrimp" from "Girls! Girls! Girls!" or "The Bullfighter was a Lady" from "Fun in Acapulco" — but not Bennett.

"I have always been disappointed that Elvis' movie songs are not considered worthy of him," Bennett said in a 2005 interview. "It should be remembered that these songs were written for specific situations in the scripts."

Bennett, 96, died July 2 in a hospital in New York City of age-related conditions, said his son, Neil.

Bennett and Tepper, who wrote about 300 songs together, had hits with several non-Elvis titles, including "Red Roses for a Blue Lady" that charted in both the 1940s and 1960s, and was covered by a wide variety of performers including Duke Ellington, Frank Sinatra, Wayne Newton, Perry Como and Paul Anka.

Their mid-'50s novelty hit, "The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane," was recorded by Ray Charles, Dean Martin and, in 2007, The Roches. And in the early 1960s, "The Young Ones" was a chart-topper for singer Cliff Richard in the U.K.

Although their "Glad All Over" (not to be confused with the better-known Dave Clark Five number of the same title) wasn't a big hit, it had the distinction of being performed in the early 1960s by the Beatles.

Bennett and Tepper were extraordinarily successful at writing songs for Elvis, even though they never met him. The process of writing for the singer's movies kept them at least one step removed.

The duo would get a movie script, with spots marked for songs. But Bennett and Tepper, who both wrote music and lyrics, weren't the only songwriters receiving the script — it was a competition.

"There were about a dozen teams and individuals vying for the song spots," Bennett said in the 2005 interview for the book "Elvis Presley: Writing for the King," by Ken Sharp.

"The money spurred us on. I believe we had two or three weeks to come up with songs."

Out of the several songs submitted for a spot, a few would be chosen by music executive Freddy Bienstock, who specialized in screening songs for Elvis. These chosen few were recorded in demonstration versions with hired musicians, then sent on to Elvis and his manager, Colonel Tom Parker, to pick the winner.

Their decision would be delivered to the songwriters by Bienstock.

"Our biggest thrill was when he told us we had five songs in 'Blue Hawaii,'" Bennett said.

For "Fun in Acapulco," which featured a female bullfighter, they wrote a comic song for Elvis to sing in a nightclub setting about Pedro the bull.

The bullfighter was a lady

And it was true love at first sight

Her red cape was waving but Pedro was shaving

He wanted to date her that night

"We believed the scenes were fun," Bennett said in an interview for the site elvis-collectors.com, "and it was a challenge to write for them."

He was born Israel Brodsky on Aug. 12, 1918, in Brooklyn. He changed his name to the less ethnic-sounding Roy C. Bennett in 1952. "The 'C' didn't stand for anything," said his son, Neil.

After graduating from Thomas Jefferson High School, Bennett enrolled at City College of New York to study accounting, but dropped out and served in the Army in World War II. Many years later he retuned to the college and got a degree, because "he wanted to set a model for his children," Neil Bennett said.

Tepper, who died in April, retired from song writing in the 1970s when he began to have health problems.

Bennett never worked much with other songwriters, but he went on to write three books: on songwriting, choral singing, and improbably, word processing.

"It was early in word processing, when WordPerfect was coming in," Neil Bennett said. "He was frustrated it was not easier to do." His book was full of hints on using the program.

But his main interest remained in music. "He would never lay claim to being of the Irving Berlin or Cole Porter caliber," his son said. "But songwriting was his passion and he took it very seriously."

Bennett is survived by his wife, Ruth; twin sons Neil and Keith; and three grandchildren.

david.colker@latimes.com
Source: http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-roy-bennett-20150719-story.html

01. Lonesome Cowboy
02. New Orleans
03. Shoppin' Around
04. G.I.Blues
05. A Cane And A High Starched Collar
06. Hawaiian Sunset
07. Slicin' Sand
08. Ito Eats

09. Island Of Love
10. Beach Boy Blues
11. Angel
12. For The Millionth And The Last Time
13. Just For Old Time Sake
14. The Walls Have Ears
15. Song Of The Shrimp
16. A Boy Like Me , A Girl Like You
17. Earth Boy
18. Relax
19. Take Me To The Fair
20. Mexico
21. The Bullfighter Was A Lady
22. Vino Dinero Y Amor
23. Western Union

24. The Lady Loves Me
25. Once Is Enough
26. It's A Wonderful World
27. Wheels On My Heels
28. Puppet On A String
29. Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce
30. Kismet
31. Beginner's Luck
32. Petunia The Gardener's Daughter
33. Drums of Island
34. Smorgasbord
35. Am I Ready
36. All That I Am
37. I Love Only One Girl
38. A House That Has Everything
39. Confidence
40. Five Sleepy Heads
41. Mine
42. Stay Away

*And Sid Tepper

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

brian
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Re: The Elvis Songs of Roy C. Bennett*

Post by brian »

I'm not a fan Tepper and Bennett I thought those guys were burnt out as writers even in 1956 and when they did come up with the occasionally good songs they would give them to someone else like Cliff Richard or Carl Perkins.

I think the best songs they wrote for Elvis was New Orleans and they co-wrote Shoppin around.
I also like All that I am but that's about it from them.

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by colonel snow »

They wrote more songs for Elvis; but some demo's were not chosen to be recorded.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Domino »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

01. Lonesome Cowboy
02. New Orleans
03. Shoppin' Around
04. G.I.Blues
05. A Cane And A High Starched Collar
06. Hawaiian Sunset
07. Slicin' Sand
08. Ito Eats
09. Island Of Love
10. Beach Boy Blues
11. Angel
13. Just For Old Time Sake
14. The Walls Have Ears
15. Song Of The Shrimp
16. A Boy Like Me , A Girl Like You
17. Earth Boy
18. Relax
19. Take Me To The Fair
20. Mexico
22. Vino Dinero Y Amor
23. Western Union
24. The Lady Loves Me
25. Once Is Enough
27. Wheels On My Heels
28. Puppet On A String
29. Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce
30. Kismet
31. Beginner's Luck
32. Petunia The Gardener's Daughter
33. Drums of Island
34. Smorgasbord
35. Am I Ready
36. All That I Am
37. I Love Only One Girl
38. A House That Has Everything
39. Confidence
40. Five Sleepy Heads
41. Mine
42. Stay Away

I see a bunch of songs I like and some I like even more.Thanks for the great topic.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Another demo version (revised version). It seems there excists another version.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Another demo acetate; tracks 1-2-3 were recorded for the movie Spinout. Am I ready is here another version.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

I never had it so good - written for the movie Roustabout but not used.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Here the demo acetate when selected for the movie Roustabout.

colonel snow

r&b

Post by r&b »

Never a fan of this writing team. Most of their stuff is akin to Tin Pan Alley and sounds alike. Standout song is New Orleans.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years

Post by jurasic1968 »

I like also Angel. but the majority of the songs are mediocre at best.

r&b

Post by r&b »

jurasic1968 wrote:I like also Angel. but the majority of the songs are mediocre at best.
I like Angel too and a few others as well. I was just pointing out how New Orleans is so far better than most of their stuff, it doesnt even sound like its from the same songwriting team. I mean, New Orleans vs The Bullfighter Was a Lady?

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

I can't say I'm a fan on the whole. Many/most of their Elvis songs are simply pale imitations of previous work:

Hawaiian Sunset (imitation of Blue Hawaii)
Slicin' Sand (any number of rock 'n' roll numbers)
Island of Love (Blue Hawaii)
Just For Ol' Times Sake (Are You Lonesome Tonight and other antique waltzes)
Western Union (Return to Sender)
Song of the Shrimp (a pastiche of the then-popular calypso style)
I Love Only One Girl (Didja Ever)
and so on.

That doesn't mean that they weren't capable of producing pleasant, decent material when they put their mind to it, and songs such as Song of the Shrimp, the Lady Loves Me, Petunia the Gardener's Daughter and the Bullfighter was a Lady might be light unambitious fluff that some here hate with a passion, but also have some fun wordplay in the lyrics that wasn't found so much in the other "in-house" writers for the movies. Lyrics aside, songs such as All That I Am and Angel show that they were capable of fashioning a good, strong memorable melody as well. Sadly, though, quantity won out over quality, and relatively few of their works have any real sparkle.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I love "Western Union". Don't mind sounding a bit like RTS.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Personally I don't mind listening to:

02. New Orleans
03. Shoppin' Around
04. G.I.Blues
08. Ito Eats
14. The Walls Have Ears
15. Song Of The Shrimp
20. Mexico
23. Western Union
24. The Lady Loves Me
25. Once Is Enough
30. Kismet
35. Am I Ready
36. All That I Am

with New Orleans as my big favorite.

Thank you colonel snow for posting the labels!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Track 2018 - Young hearts was selected for the movie Jailjouse rock but not recorded; on 31-05-57 Jim Reeves recorded his version (RCA 47-6973).

colonel snow

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

colonel snow wrote:Track 2018 - Young hearts was selected for the movie Jailjouse rock but not recorded; on 31-05-57 Jim Reeves recorded his version (RCA 47-6973).

colonel snow
The Jim Reeves recording was not issued at the time, it was released after his death, in 1965. The song, like most by Tepper and Bennett, is pleasant but unremarkable.

"Young Hearts" --> "Lost" Song from "Jailhouse Rock" !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57984

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:I can't say I'm a fan on the whole. Many/most of their Elvis songs are simply pale imitations of previous work:

Hawaiian Sunset (imitation of Blue Hawaii)
Slicin' Sand (any number of rock 'n' roll numbers)
Island of Love (Blue Hawaii)
Just For Ol' Times Sake (Are You Lonesome Tonight and other antique waltzes)
Western Union (Return to Sender)
Song of the Shrimp (a pastiche of the then-popular calypso style)
I Love Only One Girl (Didja Ever)
and so on.

That doesn't mean that they weren't capable of producing pleasant, decent material when they put their mind to it, and songs such as Song of the Shrimp, the Lady Loves Me, Petunia the Gardener's Daughter and the Bullfighter was a Lady might be light unambitious fluff that some here hate with a passion, but also have some fun wordplay in the lyrics that wasn't found so much in the other "in-house" writers for the movies. Lyrics aside, songs such as All That I Am and Angel show that they were capable of fashioning a good, strong memorable melody as well. Sadly, though, quantity won out over quality, and relatively few of their works have any real sparkle.
"Slicin' Sand (any number of Rock'n'Roll numbers)" -- Could you elaborate on this?

Stevenson
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by Stevenson »

Davelee wrote:"Slicin' Sand (any number of Rock'n'Roll numbers)" -- Could you elaborate on this?
I'll try (if you don't mind) - if you change lyrics, it can be any other Rock'n'Roll song. As simple as that. There in nothing, apart from text text, to link the song with Hawaiian scenery.

When your heart gets restless - time to move along,
When your heart gets weary - time to sing a song,
But when a dream is calling you
There's just one thing that you can do...

Follow That Dream (1961)

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Stevenson wrote:
Davelee wrote:"Slicin' Sand (any number of Rock'n'Roll numbers)" -- Could you elaborate on this?
I'll try (if you don't mind) - if you change lyrics, it can be any other Rock'n'Roll song. As simple as that. There in nothing, apart from text text, to link the song with Hawaiian scenery.
Exactly. It has the stop-start verse of Blue Suede Shoes, and the melody line for the verse is almost the same as well - but the whole thing is watered down, and a pale imitation of the real thing. Perhaps in this case, the watering down was intentional. Blue Hawaii wasn't a film aimed at 20 year old rock n roll fans, but a general audience who wanted to go to the cinema to see a lighthearted romantic comedy with pretty scenery, pretty songs, pretty girls and/or Elvis with his shirt off. All of those elements had to be palatable to a general audience, particularly the songs as there was a soundtrack album just waiting for people to go out and buy after seeing the movie.

r&b

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Stevenson wrote:
Exactly. It has the stop-start verse of Blue Suede Shoes, and the melody line for the verse is almost the same as well - but the whole thing is watered down, and a pale imitation of the real thing. Perhaps in this case, the watering down was intentional. Blue Hawaii wasn't a film aimed at 20 year old rock n roll fans, but a general audience who wanted to go to the cinema to see a lighthearted romantic comedy with pretty scenery, pretty songs, pretty girls and/or Elvis with his shirt off. All of those elements had to be palatable to a general audience, particularly the songs as there was a soundtrack album just waiting for people to go out and buy after seeing the movie.
Most of the so called 'rock and roll' movie songs were of this nature since King Creole. Just pale imitations of the real thing.

Stevenson

Post by Stevenson »

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Stevenson wrote:
Most of the so called 'rock and roll' movie songs were of this nature since King Creole. Just pale imitations of the real thing.

It worked well with movies - Elvis wasn't the real deal himself either...
But a lot of them turn gold (or at least did shine a little bit)

Follow That Dream (1961)

brian
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by brian »

Stevenson wrote:It worked well with movies - Elvis wasn't the real deal himself either...
What does that mean?

Davelee
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Davelee »

Stevenson wrote:
Nice try but not quite!

Stevenson

Post by Stevenson »

brian wrote:
Stevenson wrote:It worked well with movies - Elvis wasn't the real deal himself either...
What does that mean?

I meant that "celluloid Elvis" form 60s wasn't the Elvis from 50s - he was "pale imitation" of himself. Just like movie songs were compared to his early hits.

Follow That Dream (1961)

r&b

Post by r&b »

Stevenson wrote:
brian wrote:
What does that mean?

I meant that "celluloid Elvis" form 60s wasn't the Elvis from 50s - he was "pale imitation" of himself. Just like movie songs were compared to his early hits.
I remember seeing a review after Viva Las Vegas came out. The reviewer says finally we get to see Elvis being Elvis again or something like that referring to the the several uptempo numbers and the way he moved in the film. Thats about as close as we came to the real Elvis you are referring to. Its why it remains my favorite 60's film (musical) to this day.