Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Paul007
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

I need somebody .....

Post by Paul007 »

I know this song is well loved by all in the Elvis online community - as it is by me. I also know that you guys have probably done this song to death however for me it is almost my favourite " non mainstream" Elvis song. He sings so well and to me as a listener so effortlessly. But tonight whilst on my balcony after a few life changing events ( I won't bore you - we all have lives!) , a glass of red and a cigar in hand, FTD Viva Las Vegas on CD, it really hit me how great Elvis could nail this. I would love to know how he felt when he first heard the demo. Did he relate? Was it another "movie song" he had to endure? I know he was asked by the guy who witnessed the opening '69 show about this song at the media conference - and from reported accounts he remembered it. I know it would never have worked live so Elvis never came back to it, but for me tonight on my balcony I am so glad Elvis recorded this.

I guess my point is that Elvis recorded some incredible songs that depending on where you are on life's journey, you can relate. He never wrote them but for me on some songs he sang them like he did. He did for me tonight!

Bye for now....

keninlincs
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Mood:

Re: I need somebody .....

Post by keninlincs »

A good song Paul007,welcome to the forum!!

-instagram kenh1964

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by frus75 »

A great song and performance. Even in the movie the performance he gives mimicking the lyrics is great.

Iván

La voz del Rey

california boy
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by california boy »

Its a great powerful song, always loved it and play it also alot latley...

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by stevelecher »

I can't imagine what this would sound like from a 1970's Elvis. This recording is great and EP is in great form on the whole soundtrack. Been listening to it this week, coincidentally. Love his exceptional vocal.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

stevelecher wrote:I can't imagine what this would sound like from a 1970's Elvis. This recording is great and EP is in great form on the whole soundtrack. Been listening to it this week, coincidentally. Love his exceptional vocal.
It wouldn't sound half as good in the 70's... :|

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

It´s about time Mr. Ernst Jorgensen for an updated 2 cd set FTD release of "Viva Las Vegas" and please include if possible the complete 20 takes of the song; "I Need Somebody To Lean On" :smt020. So far we only had 1 outtake of the song :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

It´s about time Mr. Ernst Jorgensen for an updated 2 cd set FTD release of "Viva Las Vegas" and please include if possible the complete 20 takes of the song; "I Need Somebody To Lean On" :smt020. So far we only had 1 outtake of the song :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.
Nah that would become boring. A FTD package of Elvis' deleted and unreleased film songs (also known as production numbers) is what's needed.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Paul007 wrote:I know this song is well loved by all in the Elvis online community - as it is by me. I also know that you guys have probably done this song to death however for me it is almost my favourite " non mainstream" Elvis song. He sings so well and to me as a listener so effortlessly. But tonight whilst on my balcony after a few life changing events ( I won't bore you - we all have lives!) , a glass of red and a cigar in hand, FTD Viva Las Vegas on CD, it really hit me how great Elvis could nail this. I would love to know how he felt when he first heard the demo. Did he relate? Was it another "movie song" he had to endure? I know he was asked by the guy who witnessed the opening '69 show about this song at the media conference - and from reported accounts he remembered it. I know it would never have worked live so Elvis never came back to it, but for me tonight on my balcony I am so glad Elvis recorded this.

I guess my point is that Elvis recorded some incredible songs that depending on where you are on life's journey, you can relate. He never wrote them but for me on some songs he sang them like he did. He did for me tonight!

Bye for now....
I agree. But it's no different to Do You Know Who I Am ? Try playing the songs one after the other starting with DYKWIA.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Paul007 wrote:I know this song is well loved by all in the Elvis online community - as it is by me. I also know that you guys have probably done this song to death however for me it is almost my favourite " non mainstream" Elvis song. He sings so well and to me as a listener so effortlessly. But tonight whilst on my balcony after a few life changing events ( I won't bore you - we all have lives!) , a glass of red and a cigar in hand, FTD Viva Las Vegas on CD, it really hit me how great Elvis could nail this. I would love to know how he felt when he first heard the demo. Did he relate? Was it another "movie song" he had to endure? I know he was asked by the guy who witnessed the opening '69 show about this song at the media conference - and from reported accounts he remembered it. I know it would never have worked live so Elvis never came back to it, but for me tonight on my balcony I am so glad Elvis recorded this.

Bye for now....
Nice post!

"I Need Somebody To Lean On" is far and away one of the best tunes Elvis ever cut for one of his films.

It was the first track he worked on during the second day of sessions for "Viva Las Vegas," July 10, 1963, and the master was take 20. One wonders if he was pining for anyone while recording this.

640000_Ann-Margret.JPG
There are 4 complete alternate takes in the vaults -- a fifth (take 8) was released on FTD's Out In Hollywood, then again on FTD's Viva Las Vegas.

I'd enjoy hearing the rest of 'em, offered in an intelligent fashion, as per the Follow That Dream style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by stevelecher »

I thought the one alternate we've had was from an acetate and that was all we have. If they have three more takes of this song, I would love to hear them. The FTD of this is particularly incomplete.

Yes Doc, I think EP was inspired in his work on this whole project by his leading lady. He sang great and he and Ann absolutely sparkled on the screen.

drjohncarpenter

stevelecher wrote:I thought the one alternate we've had was from an acetate and that was all we have. If they have three more takes of this song, I would love to hear them. The FTD of this is particularly incomplete.

Yes Doc, I think EP was inspired in his work on this whole project by his leading lady. He sang great and he and Ann absolutely sparkled on the screen.
The acetate you refer to contains the film soundtrack version, which includes a prominent saxophone overdub. But the session proper still has four full alternate takes in the vault.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TJ
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by TJ »

Great opening post Paul. Made me wish I had a balcony :)

This is indeed an excellent ballad which wouldn't have been out of place at a regular non-soundtrack session.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Its a great song. His voice had changed so much in the 70's from the smooth effortless ballad delivery of the 60's, I don't this song or any similar ones would have worked so well by then. Its amazing how Elvis' voice changed in each decade, and as a still young man. Some singers never do until they really get well up in years.

Topic author
Paul007

Post by Paul007 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Bye for now....
Nice post!

"I Need Somebody To Lean On" is far and away one of the best tunes Elvis ever cut for one of his films.

It was the first track he worked on during the second day of sessions for "Viva Las Vegas," July 10, 1963, and the master was take 20. One wonders if he was pining for anyone while recording this.

640000_Ann-Margret.JPG
There are 4 complete alternate takes in the vaults -- a fifth (take 8) was released on FTD's Out In Hollywood, then again on FTD's Viva Las Vegas.

I'd enjoy hearing the rest of 'em, offered in an intelligent fashion, as per the Follow That Dream style.
Thanks Doc. I would like to hear them all too. By the wy that is a stunning picture of Ann-Margret!

Topic author
Paul007

Post by Paul007 »

TJ wrote:Great opening post Paul. Made me wish I had a balcony :)

This is indeed an excellent ballad which wouldn't have been out of place at a regular non-soundtrack session.
Thanks TJ. I reckon everyone needs a balcony!

Topic author
Paul007

Post by Paul007 »

Robt wrote:

Bye for now....
I agree. But it's no different to Do You Know Who I Am ? Try playing the songs one after the other starting with DYKWIA.
Ok thanks Robt. I'll do as you suggest but I think I still know which I will prefer!

drjohncarpenter

Paul007 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Nice post!

640000_Ann-Margret.JPG

Thanks Doc. I would like to hear them all too. By the way that is a stunning picture of Ann-Margret!
I know! It may the one of the most beautiful images of her I have ever seen.

Ann-Margret rules!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Tornado
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tornado »

One of the best movie ballad of Elvis put on film. I always dug that song. It's just has that magic lounged jazzed dark atmosphere that weaves it's stings around your soul. Too bad we never got the movie saxophone overdubbed on cd. Elvis should have done more of that type. But being the only one, it's making it more precious.