The Complete Masters -- Hear them for yourself

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Re: The Complete Masters -- Hear them for yourself

Post by monkboughtlunch »

I wonder why they didn't let Anesini remaster the rarities discs 28-30.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

monkboughtlunch wrote:I wonder why they didn't let Anesini remaster the rarities discs 28-30.
Either money and / or time issues...

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:I wonder why they didn't let Anesini remaster the rarities discs 28-30.
Either money and / or time issues...
Money issues? Yikes, they are charging $750 per box! Surely they could have gone "all the way" and had Vic remaster the final 3 discs. I don't think Lene Reidel would be considered in the top tier of anyone's list of best remastering engineers.

TONY
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by TONY »

Claus wrote:After listening to the samples, I'm A Roustabout is much improved on the new set. More natural and with some low-end. The 2nd To None version sounds thin and midrangy. It's pretty obvious that even the new version isn't tape-sourced, but it sounds much better.

Yes, it IS an improvement. This was improved on a bootleg release a few years back over the "2nd to none" release. I can't believe some people say it sounds worse!! :|

TONY

Post by TONY »

If the "Madison Square Garden" material has supposedly been 'remastered' from the original tapes (isn't THAT the idea), then I would expect the obvious edits during the original LP to have been ironed out with the inclusion of the missing dialogue included for the first time....but somehow I doubt it.

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Dan_T »

TONY wrote:If the "Madison Square Garden" material has supposedly been 'remastered' from the original tapes (isn't THAT the idea), then I would expect the obvious edits during the original LP to have been ironed out with the inclusion of the missing dialogue included for the first time....but somehow I doubt it.
It's been remastered from the original Album Master, not the original tape.

Tim C
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by Tim C »

The Roustabout remaster has lost some clarity to it and now has some low end that it didn't before. Doesn't make it better or worse, just different. Some people like it, others don't. If they could mix the two together to get a more even balance with both ends of the sonic spectrum together, I think it would be a much better recording, but as it is IMO both versions of it are lacking the part the other has.

As for the MSG remastering...they were going for the original master sound...rather lackluster...as issued during Elvis lifetime. They will eventually go back to the original recording tapes and remix the whole concert...probably for a Legacy release along with An Afternoon At The Garden in a 2 cd set as this deserves to be a mainstream release...I wonder if there are any rehearsal tapes or rehearsals done for these concerts?

BTW what does IIRC mean?

When someone has an audience, do not disrupt them with the purpose of stealing their audience.
When you do a favor do not make others notice your effort.
Do not be impressed by strong personalities.

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by elvissessions »

IIRC, it means "if I recall correctly."

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Dan_T wrote:
TONY wrote:If the "Madison Square Garden" material has supposedly been 'remastered' from the original tapes (isn't THAT the idea), then I would expect the obvious edits during the original LP to have been ironed out with the inclusion of the missing dialogue included for the first time....but somehow I doubt it.
We need to careful what terms we use when discussing "original tapes". There would be the original recording - ie. the raw multitrack tape recording, and there would be the original 2-track master mixdown tape made from the raw multitrack tape for conventional listening. By all accounts the original 2-track master mixdown tape is what has been remastered here for Complete Elvis, not an LP cutting dub made from the master mix tape.

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by elvissessions »

Guys, I don't want to be a complete stick in the mud, but as my thread about threads indicated, I'm getting a bit weary of trying to track all of these different posts.

The moderator has said there will be some merging done this week, and after that's complete, I'll try to size up the situation and see about posting some more clips.

Till then, I'm semi-bowing out of the various conversations for a bit, and I probably won't be posting more samples, at least for now.

I just can't see making the same points over and over again and seeing the same misinformation spouted again and again in numerous simultaneous threads.

We're still getting posts debating whether a "first run" was announced. I have a lot of time, but I don't have enough time for such nonsense.

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

Dan_T wrote:
And this is the problem.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Deke Rivers II wrote:And this is the problem.
No, see my post above.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

elvissessions wrote:I just can't see making the same points over and over again and seeing the same misinformation spouted again and again in numerous simultaneous threads.
Agreed. 100%.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

TONY

Post by TONY »

Deke Rivers II wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
And this is the problem.

Yes, the thin and weedy sound could be improved upon and the edited parts (whatever they may be) restored using a proper audio engineer. It's a fantastic concert and should be a priority to be enhanced further, NOT just by adding tons of reverb to Elvis' voice as with the Memphis '74 FTD re-issue.

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

Again, taking out edits and remixing the masters is NOT what this project was ever about. It is outside the scope of this project, a release of the original masters. The unedited MSG tape would not represent the originally released master, and I am thankful that wasn't done.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

Claus

Post by Claus »

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Again, taking out edits and remixing the masters is NOT what this project was ever about. It is outside the scope of this project, a release of the original masters. The unedited MSG tape would not represent the originally released master, and I am thankful that wasn't done.
I couldn't agree more.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

The MSG is an improvement on all that is released before, even on the Japanese 20 and 24 bit paper sleeve CD's. Although it's far from perfect -it has to be remixed- it's the best transfer to this day ... I quite like(d) it ...

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvissessions wrote:I'm not sure how many samples I'll be posting, but as folks point things out, I'll try to offer some excerpts so folks can hear what others are talking about.

I'll do my best to balance the volume to ensure a fair comparison.

To begin with:

MysteryTrain says: ""I'm A Roustabout" sounds better than before to my ears."

Not just to your ears, MysteryTrain; the difference should be obvious to all.

I'm a Roustabout, from Second to None

I'm a Roustabout, from The Complete Elvis Presley Masters
IIRC, a new source was found for this track -- boy, it sure sounds good!
It sure does!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by midnightx »

Joe, did you order a copy of this box set?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Again, taking out edits and remixing the masters is NOT what this project was ever about. It is outside the scope of this project, a release of the original masters. The unedited MSG tape would not represent the originally released master, and I am thankful that wasn't done.
Ever get the feeling some members make a habit of standing around with their fingers in their ears going: "Lalalalalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you! Lalalalalalala!"

I sure do.

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

Matthew wrote:
Ever get the feeling some members make a habit of standing around with their fingers in their ears going: "Lalalalalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you! Lalalalalalala!"

I sure do.
Absolutely. I mean, I am a staunch defender of this set, but I'm not denying its few shortcomings. People seem to make their minds up before something is released, then continue to say the same things after it is released.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by ritchie valens »

msg 2 cd ftd or legacy should be issued from the orignal unedited multitracks not lp or mix down masters and not let anybody but vic to do the remastering not rene thats for sure.

ritchie valens
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by ritchie valens »

THE LIMITED FIRST EDITION OF THE COMPLETE ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS IS SOLD OUT. HOWEVER, DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND, WE WILL BE RELEASING AN UNNUMBERED SECOND EDITION IN 2011. ENTER YOUR EMAIL TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN THE PRE-ORDER IS AVAILABLE.

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="Matthew

I sure do.[/quote]

Pardon?!

splanky

Post by splanky »

Ok , is there anybody out there that would care to direct me to the tracklisting of the C. M. set ?

Best always,
Splanky