Amazing 'Turban' footage from '72!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Re: Amazing 'Turban' footage from '72!

Post by paulsweeney »

Gabriel wrote:What's the exact date of this footage and pictures?
He looks bad for 1972...
When i first saw the first photo i thought that it's from 1976. I think he was sick and/or stoned on that day.
September 1972 - The date has been confirmed by Dave Hebler

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by TJ »

drjohncarpenter wrote:One might think if Elvis was "stoned," Dave Hebler would have mentioned it in his description of the event. ...

In fact, the footage depicts Dave's first time meeting Elvis, and the most he recalls is that it was very warm that September day, and it seemed odd that Elvis had on the turban and heavy coat..
If it was his first meeting, he was probably overwhelmed and also not yet clued up on the signs. Elvis does look out of it in the still shot, but admittedly a photo doesn't always flatter.

Very bizarre fashion choices, whether stoned or clear headed.

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

The September 'Turban' footage makes a great companion to the
September 4th Press Conference in Vegas!

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Steve Morse »

thefunkyangel wrote:ABSOLUTELY FRICKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes I used caps)
It does not fill me with awe . . .

Steve Morse

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

thefunkyangel wrote:ABSOLUTELY FRICKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes I used caps)
Steve Morse wrote: It does not fill me with awe . . . Steve Morse
Hey, it's okay, each to their own! Cheers :smt023

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

Wait until the world's TV networks get a hold of this.

I'd much prefer to see Ringo like this than EP. No matter what the excuse is, and in the current climate, it's cringeworthy.

As my boss said (whose a Beatles nut) - "See, that's what happens when everyone wants to root you, you do weird sh*t like that". And he didn't mean root in the American sense!

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

The close up shot during and after Ed gets up shows Presley (before the camera pans back) not looking well at all!

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

For the life of me I don't know why Sonny was standing there like a stunned mullet! Is that Jerry Schilling at 1.25!?

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

I just can't help believin', No I just can't help believin', ....

I'd be interested to hear Hebler's or Sonny's reaction to this footage. Can anyone here send them the link and ask for their reaction?

Also, in the first few seconds, is that Ron Pietrafeso from Denver Police with his back to the camera in the light blue jacket?

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Joe Car wrote:
Francesc wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Amazing footage indeed.
Elvis was always different, in the Fifties when he started to wear pink jackets and black pants he was already trying to shock people. When he turned up at GK's wedding in 1970 with leather gloves and flashlight (which Marty Lacker tried in vain to take away from him) he was being outrageous. It was his nature to be different, same thing here with the turban, Elvis was different in everything he did.
And I find it amazing that some people are able to say from this footage that he was 'stoned'.

Cheers,
Simon
Look at the eyes Simon...he is stoned...
You must have great vision, cause I can't tell.
You Dont want to tell.
How can anybody in there right phucking mind, tell by looking at that footage, that he's high. You, like a few others, are assuming.
I am assuming he is stoned, yes. Not a big deal anyway, isn't it..It just first came in my mind when I saw the first picture..

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

More importantly, what this footage -- either posted by Barry Elwood or a relative -- proves is that such unreleased footage is just the tip of the iceberg. It is a shame that the powers that be seem to have no interest in gathering such footage, which stretches back to at least Jan-Feb 1955, and creating an "Anthology"-type of DVD project.

Sure agree with your sentiment there Doc about an anthology

Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

rickeap wrote:More importantly, what this footage -- either posted by Barry Elwood or a relative -- proves is that such unreleased footage is just the tip of the iceberg. It is a shame that the powers that be seem to have no interest in gathering such footage, which stretches back to at least Jan-Feb 1955, and creating an "Anthology"-type of DVD project.

Sure agree with your sentiment there Doc about an anthology
Yes that's a more interesting issue...the fact Elvis was or wasn't high isn't that interesting really...maybe because he was most of the time, especially in september 1972..(Aloha show interview)... :D

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Xaykev »

Ton Bruins wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Francesc wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Elvis was always different, in the Fifties when he started to wear pink jackets and black pants he was already trying to shock people. When he turned up at GK's wedding in 1970 with leather gloves and flashlight (which Marty Lacker tried in vain to take away from him) he was being outrageous. It was his nature to be different, same thing here with the turban, Elvis was different in everything he did.
And I find it amazing that some people are able to say from this footage that he was 'stoned'.

Cheers,
Simon
You Dont want to tell.
How can anybody in there right phucking mind, tell by looking at that footage, that he's high. You, like a few others, are assuming.
I am assuming he is stoned, yes. Not a big deal anyway, isn't it..It just first came in my mind when I saw the first picture..
So then don't write that Elvis is stoned. Write that you think he is stoned. My personal opinion is that maybe he was stoned, maybe not. He surely was under some kind of influence during the aloha interview in the same month. Elvis did some crazy things and wearing a turban is one of them. It doesn't automatically mean that he was drugged.

I miss you, Elvis!

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

Xaykev wrote:Elvis did some crazy things and wearing a turban is one of them. It doesn't automatically mean that he was drugged.
Well, I bet my only dollar that he wasn't clear headed! September '72 reminds me of the same month, just two years later (ie. drug intake, physical/ mental deterioration, karate references etc.)! Some people may not like discussing Presley in this regard, but there is some people (like me) who do!

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Joe Car »

thefunkyangel wrote:
Xaykev wrote:Elvis did some crazy things and wearing a turban is one of them. It doesn't automatically mean that he was drugged.
Well, I bet my only dollar that he wasn't clear headed! September '72 reminds me of the same month, just two years later (ie. drug intake, physical/ mental deterioration, karate references etc.)! Some people may not like discussing Presley in this regard, but there is some people (like me) who do!
I don't mind discussing it, but from this particular video, there's no way to determine his mental state during that night, other than him wearing a turban. To me, he signed autographs fine, he certainly wasn't unsteady on his feet and he acknowledged everybody he met, right away. You have the biggest star in the world, who took time to go to a little karate studio, as a favour to a friend. Says a lot about the man, if I say so myself!

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

Joe Car wrote: I don't mind discussing it, but from this particular video, there's no way to determine his mental state during that night, other than him wearing a turban. To me, he signed autographs fine, he certainly wasn't unsteady on his feet and he acknowledged everybody he met, right away. You have the biggest star in the world, who took time to go to a little karate studio, as a favour to a friend. Says a lot about the man, if I say so myself!
Don't forget, we have learnt that Presley also done a lot of things to feather his own nest. He got a lot of what he wanted (drugs, badges, karate rank's etc) by bribing certain people with cars, gifts, etc. We have also learnt that Presley had done alot of things, because of the condition (chemically assisted) he was in at that time. His life was far from dull, that's for sure. Cheers!

Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

Xaykev wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Francesc wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:

Cheers,
Simon
You Dont want to tell.
So then don't write that Elvis is stoned. Write that you think he is stoned. My personal opinion is that maybe he was stoned, maybe not. He surely was under some kind of influence during the aloha interview in the same month. Elvis did some crazy things and wearing a turban is one of them. It doesn't automatically mean that he was drugged.
Oh oeps...stepped on some feet here...I will say it in an other way especially for you: "I think (assume) that he is high on something in that first picture"...ok, now...? :D

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Alexander »

Ton Bruins wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Francesc wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:

Cheers,
Simon
You Dont want to tell.
Oh oeps...stepped on some feet here...I will say it in an other way especially for you: "I think (assume) that he is high on something in that first picture"...ok, now...? :D
No, I guess you owe humble apalogizies to all you might have hurt by stating 'Elvis is stoned'. :wink: Of course any sane man thinks Elvis is stoned on that footage but that is something different than hurting people by saying he IS stoned. I do THINK he is by the way just like I have some thoughts on the post that insisted on the correction so firmly...

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

carolynlm wrote:I never in my life thought I would say that Elvis looked ridiculous, but there is always a first time.....
Same with this photo! No folks, Presley was NOT coming back from a show!
Incidently, this was another photo taken in the month of September ('75).

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/cigar75.html

Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

Alexander wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Francesc wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:

Cheers,
Simon
You Dont want to tell.
No, I guess you owe humble apalogizies to all you might have hurt by stating 'Elvis is stoned'. :wink: Of course any sane man thinks Elvis is stoned on that footage but that is something different than hurting people by saying he IS stoned. I do THINK he is by the way just like I have some thoughts on the post that insisted on the correction so firmly...
Hurting people ? Now that is funny... :D

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

drjohncarpenter wrote: More importantly, what this footage -- either posted by Barry Elwood or a relative -- proves is that such unreleased footage is just the tip of the iceberg. It is a shame that the powers that be seem to have no interest in gathering such footage, which stretches back to at least Jan-Feb 1955, and creating an "Anthology"-type of DVD project.

Elvis and his fans deserve no less, but here we are in 2010 with nothing of the kind on the horizon.
I completely agree.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

The Welz

Post by The Welz »

Really an amazing clip! If he hadn't been the great Elvis, he'd look like a complete fool dressed this kind of way. I think it's a little bit sick to run around dressed like this, but nevertheless it's a nice inside look at the King's private life.

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by ColinB »

carolynlm wrote:I never in my life thought I would say that Elvis looked ridiculous, but there is always a first time.....
Oh, I don't know................
Elvis - Fashion.jpg
.............. he has made an effort in the past...............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

The Welz wrote:Really an amazing clip! If he hadn't been the great Elvis, he'd look like a complete fool dressed this kind of way. I think it's a little bit sick to run around dressed like this, but nevertheless it's a nice inside look at the King's private life.
Exactly, The Welz! As much as we know about Presley, there is STILL a whole lot more we can learn, by means of footage like this. Cheers!

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Alexander »

thefunkyangel wrote:
Same with this photo! No folks, Presley was NOT coming back from a show!
Incidently, this was another photo taken in the month of September ('75).

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/cigar75.html
I think september was a bad month for Elvis fashion wise...