Amazing 'Turban' footage from '72!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Amazing 'Turban' footage from '72!

Post by Joe Car »

thefunkyangel wrote:I remember reading somewhere in one of my books here, a story where some of the karate students were saying that they themselves wished they had (drugs) what Presley was taking. Anyone remember which book I am refering too! Maybe, they were talking about this night! Christopher, you're right about downloading the clip. Cheers!
I believe that was from E-What Happened.

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Christopher wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
elvisjock wrote:He told Hebler his hair was dirty.
You are lying like a s.o.b. jock....hahahahaha
No, I'm not. I think it's in Elvis What Happened.
Yes, I did read that...
you did?! so why did you react that way ... :?:
Why shouldn't I...what is your contribution to this topic ?
what ever you want, buddy, i just didn´t understand your reply to elvisjocks post (and still don´t) - that´s all.
you wanna know my contributiont on this top?
as many others have stated before, i´d say, the big, high-quality pics from the karate school (that many of us have known before) are AMAZING enough, but this super-rare footage is MORE THAN THAT!
man, twenty or thirty years ago collectors would have killed for footage like this, even in lesser picturequality. the release would have been sensational and not just a few of us would have paid big bucks for a video tape of it. now it´s all out there in (almost) tv-quality as a footnote on youtube for free and everybody, man, it is indeed astounding how times have changed with the internet.
we never had it that good!
referring to the footage: the outfit did not cause a big surprise to me, since i´ve known the fotos for many years. (thank you so much for the big ones, TITI!)
e´ often dressed in private like a brightlightcity-pimp in the 70s, so this is just the cherry on the cake for me. embarrassing? not to me. more the fancy, self-centered and cool looking showman - on stage as in private - we´ve all known for so many years; one more piece to complete the puzzle, that will never be finished, one more hint for solution of the riddle, that will never be solved.
ever wondered, why his nickname was "crazy"?

p.s.@all: as the funkyangel pointed out, save it on your harddisc now, because it may not be on youtube for long. there are free and easy to handle programs on the www to do so. google and you´ll find ´em!
Good contribution..don't have any problems with it...nice...cool looking showman, yes, and high on something..so what, I don't care really...You are right, it's beautiful to have it on youtube..that's internet nowaydays, great ! But to tell you the truth, Elvis doesn't look cool here really...but he, that's just my opinion...he just shouldn't have been dressed like a brightlightcity-pimp in the 70's...I don't like it, but that's just me..He just should have act "normal" and get himself together..maybe he would have lived then in 2010..after all he just was human and should have act that way...he didn't..and that's the main cause he died too young..but then again it was his choice to have a life the way he did..I don't blame him for that really..Sometimes people think he was a kind of God and even Elvis himself thought he was...and then it will end dramatic...You know what ? Elvis needed some people that would tell him that he wasn't a God or a King, just a normal human with a by God giving talent (his voice). That maybe would have helped him...But I guess he couldn't handle all that...he had to life like Elvis, a God, a Legend...sad...I see that in this clip and many other clips..He was lived by other people/fans..but he was human...and deep inside he knew but couldn't change that...what a philosophical story it ended to be by me.... :D

TheCoolKing
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Post by TheCoolKing »

Great footage! I'd like to have it in good quality on a DVD sometime!

The only weird thing I've noticed, are the comments that Elvis is stoned
or insane for wearing a turban. It seems common practice to bash everything
about Elvis by his "fans". He is either stoned, fat or insane.

If the man wants to wear a turban ... so what??? Millions of people wear one!
Holy sh*t .... be happy to be able to watch this and take care of some real problems!

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

TheCoolKing wrote:Great footage! I'd like to have it in good quality on a DVD sometime!

The only weird thing I've noticed, are the comments that Elvis is stoned
or insane for wearing a turban. It seems common practice to bash everything
about Elvis by his "fans". He is either stoned, fat or insane.

If the man wants to wear a turban ... so what??? Millions of people wear one!
Holy sh*t .... be happy to be able to watch this and take care of some real problems!
Yes, so what ? You're right...he is Elvis, isn't he ? So what...

Eivind

Post by Eivind »

thefunkyangel wrote:I remember reading somewhere in one of my books here, a story where some of the karate students were saying that they themselves wished they had (drugs) what Presley was taking. Anyone remember which book I am refering too! Maybe, they were talking about this night! Christopher, you're right about downloading the clip. Cheers!
Funky,
Don't remember from which book the quote came from, but I'm 100% sure it came from september 1974, not the incident here. Which is freakin' awsome by the way. Agree with the Doc, where is the Anthology?????

Eivind

Trevell
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Trevell »

Joe Car wrote:Image

C'mon, this is one stunning photo! Look at the attire, from the sharp frickin boots, the bling, the incredible jacket, capped off by the turban! The frickin dude knew how to dress and he didn't care what anybody thought, because he, and only he, could pull it off!
This pretty much sums it up.

Flippy...Real Flippy...

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:One might think if Elvis was "stoned," Dave Hebler would have mentioned it in his description of the event. But neither he nor "Elvis: What Happened?" co-author Steve Dunleavy say anything of the sort. And this was a book that did not shy away from exploiting Elvis' drug issues.

In fact, the footage depicts Dave's first time meeting Elvis, and the most he recalls is that it was very warm that September day, and it seemed odd that Elvis had on the turban and heavy coat.

Frankly, one sees a slightly sad figure. Elvis looks lost, which in many ways he was at this time.

More importantly, what this footage -- either posted by Barry Elwood or a relative -- proves is that such unreleased footage is just the tip of the iceberg. It is a shame that the powers that be seem to have no interest in gathering such footage, which stretches back to at least Jan-Feb 1955, and creating an "Anthology"-type of DVD project.

Elvis and his fans deserve no less, but here we are in 2010 with nothing of the kind on the horizon.
Totally. We need an anthology - Elvis' amazing life surely warrants it - and if it's anywhere near the standard of the Beatles Anthology, we'd be in for a treat!

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

Trevell wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Image

C'mon, this is one stunning photo! Look at the attire, from the sharp frickin boots, the bling, the incredible jacket, capped off by the turban! The frickin dude knew how to dress and he didn't care what anybody thought, because he, and only he, could pull it off!
This pretty much sums it up.
nail on the head!

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

PEP
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by PEP »

Interesting footage, very cool pictures by the way too.

Thanks for posting.

PEP 8)

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

If you saw that visage on the street in the 70's.................you would wonder which loony bin it escaped from.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

KiwiAlan wrote:If you saw that visage on the street in the 70's.................you would wonder which loony bin it escaped from.
KA, that comment may hurt the feelings of those people who wont take off their rose colour glasses! The footage of a rather stoned looking - smiling Presley faking the lame karate gun routine with Red from 16/9/74 was also sad to see! Like JD said, hope the media don't get a hold of this 'turban' footage!

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

KiwiAlan wrote:If you saw that visage on the street in the 70's.................you would wonder which loony bin it escaped from.
In the 1970s, dude? Did I hear you right?

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

There is a huge difference between stage wear and street wear.

Would you walk down a street dressed liked the turbaned Elvis............unless you are a pimp!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

KiwiAlan wrote:There is a huge difference between stage wear and street wear.

Would you walk down a street dressed liked the turbaned Elvis............unless you are a pimp!
If I was Elvis Presley, I might.

But it was you who actually threw out a major red herring here.

You asked a spurious question that willfully distorted the reason(s) that EP even has on the particular attire he does and disregards the setting in which he appears with said attire (i.e., a private setting).

Just as there may be a "huge difference" between "stage" and "street" wear, so there may also be a "huge difference" between "private" and "public" wear -- also, just as one may remove specific garments in certain settings out of deference or practicality, so one may add specific garments for particular purposes (real or imagined).

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

There is a huge difference between Glendora (AKA Hollywood) and Wellywood.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jacob
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by jacob »

Marko wrote:
In either Elvis What Happened or Revelations From Memphis Mafia books they tell that Elvis wore a turban when he was into psychic healing. I think it was Sonny West's kid whom Elvis tried to heal and the kid went for the jewel on the turban. Elvis got upset because the kid was ruining his show. As always Elvis went all the way. When he wanted to be a cop he got the badge, guns and a full uniform. When he played football he had his own team with uniforms and cheerleaders. When he wanted to be a cowboy he had a ranch and everything that goes with it. It was just natural for him to put on a turban when he though he was a psychic healer.

Also wasn't it Marty Lacker who said that Elvis used to watch the football wearing a football helmet? Elvis wore what he wanted to.Look at the clothes he wore all through out his life,he was different in every way.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

jacob wrote:...... Elvis wore what he wanted to.Look at the clothes he wore all through out his life,he was different in every way.
Exactly. Our guy was a one off. If he wasn't, then he would not be "Elvis Presley".

chris j
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by chris j »

I think his bejewelled robes/dressing-gowns of 76/77 had a similar aura. I think Jacob might have it right - Elvis is role-playing in his mind. I think his stage persona is the same sort of thing. It's a way of escaping some kind of uncomfortable reality, perhaps.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Marko »

jacob wrote:Marko wrote:
In either Elvis What Happened or Revelations From Memphis Mafia books they tell that Elvis wore a turban when he was into psychic healing. I think it was Sonny West's kid whom Elvis tried to heal and the kid went for the jewel on the turban. Elvis got upset because the kid was ruining his show. As always Elvis went all the way. When he wanted to be a cop he got the badge, guns and a full uniform. When he played football he had his own team with uniforms and cheerleaders. When he wanted to be a cowboy he had a ranch and everything that goes with it. It was just natural for him to put on a turban when he though he was a psychic healer.

Also wasn't it Marty Lacker who said that Elvis used to watch the football wearing a football helmet? Elvis wore what he wanted to.Look at the clothes he wore all through out his life,he was different in every way.
It was in some of those books. I think it was actually ment as a joke when someone asked what Elvis was doing: "He's watching football with his football helmet on". That was the kind of guy he was.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

The guy had just finished meeting the New York media wearing a cape two months earlier, (looking unbelievably cool I might add) so he didn't care what other people thought of his attire.

Xaykev

Post by Xaykev »

I don't think Elvis looks great with a turban on his head, but I don't think it's awful either. During the '68 Comeback Special he looks great, with the turban he is just allright. I mean, even a turban can't ruin that beautiful face 8)

I miss you, Elvis!

TITI

Post by TITI »

from the ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED BOOK
Thanks to Rex :wink:

ImageImageImage