Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Elvis vs Taylor

Post by sweetangeline »

1956 probably was his biggest year sales / chart wise but I have to admit that this is incredible;

Billboard Hot 100

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/

that has to be a record...good for her :D

brian
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Elvis vs Taylor

Post by brian »

Back in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s etc. Taylor Swift wouldn't have been able to do that. The charts are compiled so differently now that they aren't comparable to the charts in Elvis's day. I'm just saying everyone should be aware of that and keep that in mind. Billboard acts like they are the same but they aren't. I believe the Beatles are the only other act to do something similar to that but they did it in 1964 when it was harder to achieve.

Wayfarer
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by Wayfarer »

brian wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:18 pm
Back in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s etc. Taylor Swift wouldn't have been able to do that. The charts are compiled so differently now that they aren't comparable to the charts in Elvis's day. I'm just saying everyone should be aware of that and keep that in mind. Billboard acts like they are the same but they aren't. I believe the Beatles are the only other act to do something similar to that but they did it in 1964 when it was harder to achieve.
Billboard reminds readers of the key distinction in the footnote of its Chartbeat article:
It’s worth noting that, as streaming has become more prominent in recent years, certain acts have been able to achieve impressive Hot 100 feats after releasing high-profile albums. The model contrasts with prior decades, when acts generally promoted one single at a time in the physical-only marketplace and on radio. That shift in consumption helps explain why artists have been able to increase their total number of career entries and top 10s over short spans in recent years.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by brian »

:roll: Billboard has given credit to Glee and Lil Wayne for breaking a couple of Elvis's chart records. They put out press releases saying this act broke Elvis's chart record. This act surpasses Elvis etc. Billboard does act like it's the same thing but it's not. This has been discussed many times before by me. Billboard should count all of it separately but they don't.
Last edited by brian on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

sweetangeline wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:26 pm
1956 probably was his biggest year sales / chart wise but I have to admit that this is incredible;

Billboard Hot 100

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/

that has to be a record...good for her :D

You don't mention in any way what the "record" may be, you must love mind-readers . . .

The link shows a Taylor Swift tune in the #1 slot, followed by others in #2 to #14.

However, the link you posted may deliver something different next week, which won't help.

This Billboard page gets right to the point:

Taylor Swift Claims Record Top 14 Spots on Billboard Hot 100, Led by ‘Fortnight’ With Post Malone
https://www.billboard.com/lists/taylor-swift-hot-100-top-14-fortnight-post-malone-record/

Regardless, Swifties unite!

Almost 48 million views in ten days. It's a brave new world.

There's no "Elvis vs Taylor" here. She stands alone, well beyond hitmakers of the past.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by RickGreekElvis »

I welcome both

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

That's impressive.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Topic author
sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

Wayfarer wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 pm
Billboard reminds readers of the key distinction in the footnote of its Chartbeat article:

It’s worth noting that, as streaming has become more prominent in recent years, certain acts have been able to achieve impressive Hot 100 feats after releasing high-profile albums. The model contrasts with prior decades, when acts generally promoted one single at a time in the physical-only marketplace and on radio. That shift in consumption helps explain why artists have been able to increase their total number of career entries and top 10s over short spans in recent years.
I like Taylor Swift, I think she is great and I enjoy her music.

With regards to Billboard charts and in particular the HOT 100 Billboard usually states (not all the time) that Elvis pre-dated the start of the HOT 100 in August 1958 which is good. That said, I got no problem with putting everyone on the list of record holders from 1958 to 2024 and beyond, but when that is done I would suggest the importance of the previous record holders should also be mentioned (before streaming 2007 I think) because that`s the key here and must not ever be forgotten.

Topic author
sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:11 pm
There's no "Elvis vs Taylor" here. She stands alone, well beyond hitmakers of the past.
Yes indeed...but you know why as much as I do. A two-sided 45rpm vinyl single can`t compete in this brave new world :wink:

Luv Taylor though :D

RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by RickGreekElvis »

In the years to come, she too can have her own boutique label. You damn well know somebody is working on one right now as we speak.

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

Elvis was the king of the analogue age, maybe Taylor will become the queen of this century. One cannot expect that the records Elvis set won't be broken.

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Alexander »

Whatever the differences between Billboard in the 50s, 60s and 70s and now, the achievement is special and I feel the impact of Taylor Swift is quite comparable to our Elvis back in the day.

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

Several years ago I listened to samples of Billie Eilish's second album and thought "hey, this ain't bad". I bought the album out of a whim, listened to it (twice) and enjoyed it quite a bit.

With Taylor Swift I can't get past the samples.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by emjel »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 am
Several years ago I listened to samples of Billie Eilish's second album and thought "hey, this ain't bad". I bought the album out of a whim, listened to it (twice) and enjoyed it quite a bit.

With Taylor Swift I can't get past the samples.
There are probably millions of people around from the 50’s who thought exactly the same with Elvis’ music when he burst into the scene. In fact when a friend first played me Elvis’ Jailhouse Rock EP back in ‘59. within around 30 seconds, I told him to turn the record off.

But there are many artists who are mega popular yet millions of people still don’t like their music. I’ve listened to a couple of Swift’s albums just once which I found okay but that’s it, although sometimes, when not in the right frame of mind, I need a revisit to see if it can change initial thoughts.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Off topic: in the 50's how many Frank Sinatra's fans liked Elvis' music? Not many, I think.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 am
Off topic: in the 50's how many Frank Sinatra's fans liked Elvis' music? Not many, I think.
Or FS himself...
ejxya1js4vv91.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

How ironic was that Frank agreed to do a TV special in March 1960 with Elvis and payed for that an incredible sum of 125,000 $.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

"Elvis vs Taylor" as far as the Billboard charts is concerned (say 1956 vs 2024's), is a thread that rightly points to a win for Taylor Swift. But in more general terms, "Elvis vs Taylor" in those same two years brings a whole different set of statistics. Take the one media where the most quantities of people are concerned, and that is television. Forget about cinemas, or streaming.

TV is where it's at, as no movie has attracted 123m to US cinemas this year, in cinemas, let alone via streaming. "Barbie" in 2023, a huge american blockbuster, attracted 65m people to US cinemas. Not bad, but nothing compared to debates, or SuperBowls audiences. .

Rewind a few months to Superbowl LVIII which garnered the highest TV share in decades, an 80.1% even beating the 79.4 & share obtained following the September 26, 2016 Presidential debate. In the latter case it took two to tango, and 14 different networks, and in the case of the Super Bowl LVIII, fifty if not more players to tango, over one network, CBS, but neither was able to beat what former Pres. Obama's consultant Tim Wu called the "peak of peak" attention, in his late 2016 book "The attention Merchants", namely the 82.6% share obtained by Elvis for CBS on September 9, 1956.

And Wu did not mention that Elvis did it without the host, nor could he have ever imagined, in 2016 when he wrote the book, that at the end of Superbowl LVIII, in February of 2024, and with that massive audience still glued to their TV sets, that the only person mentioned by name by the CBS TV sports anchor conductiing the after game interviews would be Elvis, and that happened after Taylor's paramour Travis Kelce shouted a line or two from "Viva Las Vegas".

Of course, the 60.710,000 who watched Elvis that September 9 1956 night was a little over a third of the US population, which was 164 million in 1956, just as the 123 million who watched Super Bowl LVIII were also a little over a third of the US population this year, which is around 341 million. But the only person or thing who will be remembered either massively or just "en passant" in connexion with BOTH ocassions, in the history books, is CBS and Elvis Presley...LOL

https://wellsbaum.blog/the-peak-of-peak-attention/
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Wed May 01, 2024 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 am
Elvis was the king of the analogue age, maybe Taylor will become the queen of this century. One cannot expect that the records Elvis set won't be broken.

You may be exhibiting a selective memory here. Some of his records were broken in the mid-sixties.

Can't recall the name at the moment . . .

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

jurasic1968 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 am

What hit popular culture in 1956-1957 was a sea change from what Sinatra had been doing for the previous 10-15 years. But using your analogy, it would be more precise to ask what fans of music from 2009 think of Taylor Swift today in 2024.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_2009

The funny thing is Taylor is on that listing three times.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Jaime1234 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:11 pm
"Elvis vs Taylor" as far as the Billboard charts is concerned (say 1956 vs 2024's), is a thread that rightly points to a win for Taylor Swift. But in more general terms, "Elvis vs Taylor" in those same two years brings a whole different set of statistics. Take the one media where the most quantities of people are concerned, and that is television. Forget about cinemas, or streaming.

TV is where it's at, as no movie has attracted 123m to US cinemas this year, in cinemas, let alone via streaming. "Barbie" in 2023, a huge american blockbuster, attracted 65m people to US cinemas. Not bad, but nothing compared to debates, or SuperBowls audiences. .

Rewind a few months to Superbowl LVIII which garnered the highest TV share in decades, an 80.1% even beating the 79.4 & share obtained following the September 26, 2016 Presidential debate. In the latter case it took two to tango, and 14 different networks, and in the case of the Super Bowl LVIII, fifty if not more players to tango, over one network, CBS, but neither was able to beat what former Pres. Obama's consultant Tim Wu called the "peak of peak" attention, in his late 2016 book "The attention Merchants", namely the 82.6% share obtained by Elvis for CBS on September 9, 1956.

And Wu did not mention that Elvis did it without the host, nor could he have ever imagined, in 2016 when he wrote the book, that at the end of Superbowl LVIII, in February of 2024, and with that massive audience still glued to their TV sets, that the only person mentioned by name by the CBS TV sports anchor conductiing the after game interviews would be Elvis, and that happened after Taylor's paramour Travis Kelce shouted a line or two from "Viva Las Vegas".

Of course, the 60.710,000 who watched Elvis that September 9 1956 night was a little over a third of the US population, which was 164 million in 1956, just as the 123 million who watched Super Bowl LVIII were also a little over a third of the US population this year, which is around 341 million. But the only person or thing who will be remembered either massively or just "en passant" in connexion with BOTH ocassions, in the history books, is CBS and Elvis Presley...LOL

https://wellsbaum.blog/the-peak-of-peak-attention/
What are you waffling on about now? The comparisons are about charting positions of record sales/streaming within Billboard and are basically pointless comparisons too considering the two years shown are almost 70 years apart and which is kind of noted in a footnote after the main article. It has nothing to do with movies or box office receipts for this year or last year, TV programs or the Super Bowl.

~

Topic author
sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

emjel wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:18 pm
What are you waffling on about now?
I had those this morning for breakfast while listening to Taylor, I`m a waffle eating Swiftie :wink:

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by BrianTCB »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:12 pm
I welcome both

So do I. Just think AI will be able to do the live version of exactly this duet in a couple years, if not already.

emjel

Post by emjel »

sweetangeline wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:24 pm
emjel wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:18 pm
What are you waffling on about now?
I had those this morning for breakfast while listening to Taylor, I`m a waffle eating Swiftie :wink:
Oh I love waffles with some nice syrup. Had those for breakfast a couple of weeks ago when we were in New York. I guess I should have asked why he was throwing out his usual verbal Diarrhea again. :wink:

~

Topic author
sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

Taylor is 34 today...now imagine her today with the `68 Elvis...now that`s a couple :wink: