FTD WHERE ARE YOU?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

yellowstone
Registered for: 13 years

Re: FTD WHERE ARE YOU?

Post by yellowstone »

Blue Hawaii Sessions book was released 11 month ago. If you count the re-release as 'full release' then we'll get the next session in may 2025. If you say the re-release doesn't count then a new session is about due if we wanna be through by 2195. Otherwise we can't hold that schedule.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by emjel »

escapeguy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:14 pm
emjel wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:37 pm
sweetangeline wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:17 pm
emjel wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:24 pm
I’m curious but why do some refer to bootleg releases as imports.
hm80ep wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:57 pm
'Imports' sounds less illegal?
...I like that answer :D let it go emjel it`s a good answer :wink:
I’m not aware I’ve even challenged it, but it was an obvious answer I was kind of expecting.
Years ago I discovered the joy of going to record shows. I would ask certain dealers hey, do you have any Elvis bootlegs? they would ignore me or give me the stinkeye and say no. (mind you this is only a few years after the huge FBI Elvis Bootleg crackdown). So, I went to this one guy who had the most CDs, boxes and boxes stretched across 4 long tables. This man was a huge dealer and was always busy as hell. I asked him, hey do you have any Elvis bootlegs? He stopped, stared at me looked around and got close to me almost whispering "do not ever say bootlegs, call them imports" Wow, in a moment it all became clear. He sold me 12 "imports". But I did just have to kinda dig in to this one dealer who was a real d*ck to me and I was walking by I shouted out hey do you have any imported Elvis bootlegs anymore? LOL....stinkeye look followed me home
Well I guess reputable big record shops like Virgin and HMV were doing a lot of illegal trading in the U.K. back then because at times, they used to have specific sections labelled up "Elvis Presley Imports". :wink:

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

chop983
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by chop983 »

emjel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:35 pm
escapeguy wrote:
emjel wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:
emjel wrote:
hm80ep wrote:
I’m not aware I’ve even challenged it, but it was an obvious answer I was kind of expecting.
Years ago I discovered the joy of going to record shows. I would ask certain dealers hey, do you have any Elvis bootlegs? they would ignore me or give me the stinkeye and say no. (mind you this is only a few years after the huge FBI Elvis Bootleg crackdown). So, I went to this one guy who had the most CDs, boxes and boxes stretched across 4 long tables. This man was a huge dealer and was always busy as hell. I asked him, hey do you have any Elvis bootlegs? He stopped, stared at me looked around and got close to me almost whispering "do not ever say bootlegs, call them imports" Wow, in a moment it all became clear. He sold me 12 "imports". But I did just have to kinda dig in to this one dealer who was a real d*ck to me and I was walking by I shouted out hey do you have any imported Elvis bootlegs anymore? LOL....stinkeye look followed me home
Well I guess reputable big record shops like Virgin and HMV were doing a lot of illegal trading in the U.K. back then because at times, they used to have specific sections labelled up "Elvis Presley Imports". :wink:
When you sell Cd's on ebay title Bootleg they get pulled, titled Import they don't

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by emjel »

chop983 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:24 pm
emjel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:35 pm
escapeguy wrote:
emjel wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:
emjel wrote:
hm80ep wrote:
When you sell Cd's on ebay title Bootleg they get pulled, titled Import they don't
What about if you just put the CD title with the label name and omitted bootleg or import.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Ciscoking »

FTD is the go to label...no matter what.
And will always be..thanks for the concern.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

rollinson1
Registered for: 21 years

Post by rollinson1 »

Ciscoking wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:16 pm
Ciskoking your obviously on the inside so I will ask you this question. Why won’t FTD let fans know the release schedule, let’s just say for the coming year, it does not have to be this date or that date of release just knowing what lies ahead would be some kind of communication. There is a very big commitment money wise from fans especially with prices the way they are and this commitment has made this label money and given individuals a decent living over the years. It is about time fans were shown a little respect their way, it is not asking too much from a company which is primarily a subsidiary of Sony.

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

rollinson1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:28 am
Ciscoking wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:16 pm
Ciskoking your obviously on the inside so I will ask you this question. Why won’t FTD let fans know the release schedule, let’s just say for the coming year, it does not have to be this date or that date of release just knowing what lies ahead would be some kind of communication. There is a very big commitment money wise from fans especially with prices the way they are and this commitment has made this label money and given individuals a decent living over the years. It is about time fans were shown a little respect their way, it is not asking too much from a company which is primarily a subsidiary of Sony.
I can answer this :D ...because you will buy it anyway without knowing any of the above...that`s why :wink:

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Rob wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:56 pm
The longer they delay, the sooner I can get my electricity turned back on.

Wife is starting to complain.
Happy wife, happy life!

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

One can only hope another series of 1976 soundboards are released sooner rather than later.

elvisfan51
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by elvisfan51 »

midnightx wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:04 am
One can only hope another series of 1976 soundboards are released sooner rather than later.
It will probably be another previously released vinyl but with a different color like FTD's latest release Moody Blue. To hell with any unreleased sessions material.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Elvis2000 »

midnightx wrote:
More specifically from that wonderful July/August tour.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:58 am
midnightx wrote:
More specifically from that wonderful July/August tour.
Oh wow the excitement will kill me! :wink:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Markus K. »

But in all seriousness, looking at what has been released in regards to soundbaoards in the recent five years it looks like this:

01/2019: St. Paul To Wichita October '74 (1974)
05/2019: From Georgia To Florida (1975)
02/2020: Elvis In California (1974)
05/2020: St. Louis / Spokane (1976)
01/2021: Bruce Jackson On The Road With Elvis (1976)
06/2021: Elvis Las Vegas Hilton 1973 (1973)
08/2021: Fort Worth, Texas 1974 (1974)
11/2021: South Bound - Tampa/Atlanta '75 (1975)
05/2022: Pine Bluff To Madison '76 (1976)
07/2022: From Vegas To Tahoe (1973)
11/2022: Las Vegas '71 (1971)
12/2022: From Louisiana And Memphis (1976)
03/2023: Let Me Be There (1974)
06/2023: Houston - Fort Worth - Baton Rouge 1974 (1974)
08/2023: August Season In Vegas - Hilton Hotel,1974 (1974)
12/2023: Summer Of '76 (1976)
04/2024: Stateline Sahara 1974 (1974)

17 Releases in total
1971: 1 release
1973: 2 releases
1974: 7 releases
1975: 2 releases
1976: 5 releases

Accepting the fact that there was hardly any known soundboard tapes from the time frame 1969-1973 I think we can assume that - with the odd exception - future releases will mostly cover 1974-1976, maybe with an additional release from 1977 sprinkled in.
Looking at the plain numbers 7-2-5-0) in regards to releases of shows from 74-75-76(-77) my guess is that some set with material from 1975 is up in one of the next batches and maybe after a long time another release from 1977 to mix things up for a bit. Overall, looking at the numbers and considering the above mentiones shortage on available tapes I still feel that overall it is surprisingly even, with 1975 being the odd one out within the recent 5 years.

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

I'd like to share a little additional thing with you.
I was in contact with Garry Jackson, brother of the late Bruce Jackson, in regards to the new book project that is still in production.
Garry was a really nice guy I have to say and after giving me a few hints on what to look out for with the new project he asked me what I thought could be a good bonus for the premium hardback version.
I let Gary know that tapes from November 1971 and July 1975 could potentially be of higher interest to fans as there is very little around from those shows, but that I wasn't sure if they'd have any of that. Instead of replying that he doesn't have any of those or won't see a chance of releasing anything like that, he replied that this was good guidance and that he'll see what they can come up with.
Of course, it is not saying much and leaves room for about anything but I still found it to be an intersting reply nevertheless.
We'll see what will come from that when the product will be finally offically announced later in the year. Looking forward to that one.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Gary Jackson I had quite a bit of correspondence with ( and was very nice to me when I had severe whooping cough 5 years ago) also but THE Problem is Bruce Jackson's wife couldn't be less interested and that has been THE problem for well over a decade good luck if Gary comes up with anything? :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

YDKM wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:55 pm
Gary Jackson I had quite a bit of correspondence with ( and was very nice to me when I had severe whooping cough 5 years ago) also but THE Problem is Bruce Jackson's wife couldn't be less interested and that has been THE problem for well over a decade good luck if Gary comes up with anything? :roll:
Thanks for that personal bit of info on your contact with him.
I didn't know anything about Bruce Jacksons wife being not interested in working any deal out in regards to whatever there still might exist on tape. Unfortunately, it can't be helped though and we have to accept it like it is. Who knows, maybe something will still come from it down the line. And if it doesn't I still feel like we've been really lucky in regards to Elvis releases and what has been made available for those interested.
I wouldn't loose any sleep over what won't be coming out these days.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:roll: Yes it is what it is....I agree we do have enough released, but we also all want more

You Don't Know Me!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thanks a lot, both of you, for this great and informative topic.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hows about a fully-fledged Elvis & The Wrecking Crew June 1968 sessions for a FTD ?

Somebody here ( but i don't recall who) made that very suggestion a few months ago.

Yes, my friends, i know we had a glimpse of it on LET YOURSELF GO, but that was some years ago and was paired with inferior sounding the dressing room rehearsals.

I reckon it is worth considering given that The Wrecking Crew were much respected and sought after musicians back in the sixties , working with and played their sessions with some of the greats of that era.

What do others reckon? :D

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

Personally, I wouldn't need that suggested set. We have quite a number of outtakes made available officially. And apart from the aforementioned "Let yourself go" there was also the "NBC TV Special" FTD from 2016 that featured an abundance of outtakes from these sessions.

For those who still wanted more there are even more available through bootlegged material from Venus which in total covers the session work from those days at Western Studios to an even furthe extent anyway.

I really feel that the best stuff has already been released and it is not as much fun listening to these fragments as it is to having a complete song anyways. I feel it would mostly serve as another "check" made to collectors but not as much as a valuable audio document that most would repeatedly enjoy listening to.

I mean, honestly, how many times do you think you will want to listen to six FSs and LFSs of the "Flicker Routine - Let yourself go (Part 2) - Alley Pickup"?
And even 23 FSs and LFSs of "Trouble - Guitar Man ("Guitar Man Opening")" and 9 FTs/completed takes (of which 3 have been made fully available and three more were used to create the master) to me don't sound too exciting when you listen to what a mess the earlier takes often were.

This will probably come somewhere down the line, I have no doubt about it, but I just don't think it will be a fun release that I will get back to play more than once or twice.

NBC_back.jpg
letyourselfgo_back.jpg
singerpresentselvis4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.