More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Touching Recollection From Larry Geller

Post by elvis-fan »

eligain wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:09 am
I remember Marty confronted Larry on spreading the bone cancer story and Larry denied spreading the rumor even though he had written in his book and said in interviews that Elvis was “riddled” with bone cancer and when Marty had sort of caught him in a inconsistency, he just left the discussion.
Larry also mentions that in the radio documentary "The Legend Of A King" - "Elvis' body was riddled with cancer of the bone"
Charlie also bought into that theory...

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by eligain »

elvis-fan wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:54 am
eligain wrote:
I remember Marty confronted Larry on spreading the bone cancer story and Larry denied spreading the rumor even though he had written in his book and said in interviews that Elvis was “riddled” with bone cancer and when Marty had sort of caught him in a inconsistency, he just left the discussion.
Larry also mentions that in the radio documentary "The Legend Of A King" - "Elvis' body was riddled with cancer of the bone"
One of the fan clubs I belonged to brought Larry in to talk to us in the very late 70’s or early 80’s and he told us the “riddled with bone cancer” story to try to say that Elvis really needed the heavy narcotic pain pills. Charlie said the same thing when he came to show his home movies and talk. And at the time, we believed them.
Last edited by eligain on Wed May 31, 2023 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

eligain wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:12 am
elvis-fan wrote:
eligain wrote:
One of the fan clubs I belonged to brought Larry in to talk to us in the very late 70’s or early 80’s and he told us the “riddled with bone cancer” story to try to say that Elvis really needed to the heavy narcotic pain pills. Charlie said the same thing when he came to show his home movies and talk. And at the time, we believed them.
"TCB'ing" . . 8) :lol:

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

eligain wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:01 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:04 am
eligain wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:40 am
I’ve always had mixed feelings about Larry. He seems like a nice, sincere guy but I don’t think he was necessarily that good for Elvis, filling his head with all that (California cult crap) as Marty Lacker called it. But I guess if it wasn’t Larry, Elvis would have found some other “guru”.

What exactly is "California cult crap"? Enlighten us.

Maybe your "mixed feelings" are because you are bereft of actual facts about Geller, spiritual pursuits, and what Elvis was interested in learning about both before and after he met Larry.

You will have to ask Marty what he meant by that, which I clearly said is what Marty called it

Marty Lacker is dead. Your post AGREES with his assessment. How can you do that if you don't know what he's talking about?

Thanks, though, for confirming that your "mixed feelings" are indeed based on nothing concrete.

Feelings, nothing more than feelings.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

Elvis was a searcher and Larry gave him many books of all kinds, so he could search and find.
Larry was good for Elvis.

eligain

Post by eligain »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:18 am
eligain wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:01 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:04 am
eligain wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:40 am
I’ve always had mixed feelings about Larry. He seems like a nice, sincere guy but I don’t think he was necessarily that good for Elvis, filling his head with all that (California cult crap) as Marty Lacker called it. But I guess if it wasn’t Larry, Elvis would have found some other “guru”.

What exactly is "California cult crap"? Enlighten us.

Maybe your "mixed feelings" are because you are bereft of actual facts about Geller, spiritual pursuits, and what Elvis was interested in learning about both before and after he met Larry.

You will have to ask Marty what he meant by that, which I clearly said is what Marty called it

Marty Lacker is dead. Your post AGREES with his assessment. How can you do that if you don't know what he's talking about?

Thanks, though, for confirming that your "mixed feelings" are indeed based on nothing concrete.

Feelings, nothing more than feelings.
I know Marty is dead. I was very friendly with him in the last 20 or so years of his life and talked to him often. My mixed feelings are based on his opinion of Larry and what he told me about him and his opinion of what all the "spiritual" talks and books did to Elvis' head. He felt that they were not good for Elvis. Billy Smith feels the same way as did Joe and Sonny to a lesser extent.

My feelings are mixed because I do think Larry is nice guy but he has told some questionable tales in his books and interviews and I do tend to respect Marty's opinion and version of events.

tinseltown
Registered for: 1 year 5 months

Post by tinseltown »

eligain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
eligain wrote:
One of the fan clubs I belonged to brought Larry in to talk to us in the very late 70’s or early 80’s and he told us the “riddled with bone cancer” story to try to say that Elvis really needed the heavy narcotic pain pills. Charlie said the same thing when he came to show his home movies and talk. And at the time, we believed them.
In Gellers book he wrote that he had the bone cancer thing from Charly.
Charly had home movies?
I thought only Joe Esposito was allowed to shoot home movies around Elvis?

eligain

Post by eligain »

tinseltown wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:31 pm
eligain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
eligain wrote:
Charly had home movies?
From what I remember, I think they were the same home movies we’ve all seen. They were the vacation home movies of them in the Bahamas and Hawaii in 69. Pool side with Tom Jones. Some stuff from California. All mainly from the 60’s and the late 60’s. They were actual 8mm films shown with a projector.

Yamaguchi.Y

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

tinseltown wrote:
eligain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
eligain wrote:
Charly had home movies?
In a way, Geller and Hodge are . . . . :wink:

two-peas-in-a-pod-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

My feelings are that Marty's reaction to Elvis thoughts, beliefs and struggles to understand why he was "chosen" to be Elvis say more about Marty than they do Elvis, and help illustrate that Elvis had some of the wrong people around him, and I don't mean Larry. They were on the gravy, train, and just wanted Elvis to be "Elvis", whatever struggles he may have been going through. At least Larry listened, didn't belittle, and tried to point him in the right direction.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

The right direction? Meaning what?!

tinseltown
Registered for: 1 year 5 months

Post by tinseltown »

DarrylMac wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:15 pm
My feelings are that Marty's reaction to Elvis thoughts, beliefs and struggles to understand why he was "chosen" to be Elvis say more about Marty than they do Elvis, and help illustrate that Elvis had some of the wrong people around him, and I don't mean Larry. They were on the gravy, train, and just wanted Elvis to be "Elvis", whatever struggles he may have been going through. At least Larry listened, didn't belittle, and tried to point him in the right direction.
Yes, Elvis had a spiritual side before Elvis.
And with his regular guys couldn't talk about such things.
Larry filled that gap.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

From May 1964 to April 1967 and from August 1976 to August 1977.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:28 pm
The right direction? Meaning what?!
I think he listened, tried to understand some of the things Elvis was wrestling with, and found books or material for Elvis that he'd expressed an interest in. Didn't belittle or demean, roll his eyes like some of the other guys, and Priscilla for that matter. The likes of Marty didn't seem to care about what troubled Elvis, just wanted the fun to continue.

eligain

Post by eligain »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:49 pm
tinseltown wrote:
eligain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
eligain wrote:
Charly had home movies?

They actually sort of were. I have no idea how Charlie and Larry got along together but Charlie did get Elvis wrapped up with the Denver radio psychic Lou Wright. Charlie was apparently into psychics and astrology.
Last edited by eligain on Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yamaguchi.Y

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

eligain wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:04 am
They actually sort of were. I have no idea how Charlie and Larry got along together but Charlie did get Elvis wrapped up with the Denver radio psychic Lou Wright. Charlie was apparently nto psychics and astrology.
Eligain, you are absolutely bullseye right on target :smt063 , my friend.

:smt023

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

No one can convince me that Charlie Hodge was into anything beyond scarves, water and cackling.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:49 pm
tinseltown wrote:
eligain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
eligain wrote:
Charly had home movies?

Come to think of it, I think they’d both bang Elvis !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:34 am
No one can convince me that Charlie Hodge was into anything beyond scarves, water and cackling.
And a “Whino” ?

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth