More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

rockinrebel
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Sony needs to reissue/remaster The Memphis Record

Post by rockinrebel »

pmp wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:17 am
It was great in its day, but this material has been released many times over now. I don't see the point in a reissue of a 35 year old compilation that I don't think offered anything new other than remixes?
I believe they used some alternate vocals, but the original title is relatively easy to find on both CD & Vinyl - so a re-issue wouldn't make much sense really.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

The sound is crisp and clear and indeed there is some unreleased Elvis vocals and we have Suspicious Minds without the loop at the end.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

DakotaKid
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by DakotaKid »

I didn't care for the album way back when. In fact, I wouldn't have bought it back when it was first released had I known exactly what I was getting.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

Ciscoking wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:17 pm
The sound is crisp and clear and indeed there is some unreleased Elvis vocals and we have Suspicious Minds without the loop at the end.
Too much 80's sheen on it but it was my go to for the 69 masters until the quad version made it to Apple Music.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

Back in 1987 I bought the vinyl release and some time ago I was able to get a bootleg cd version. I still listen to it from time to time because I like the mix better than the original one. It would be great if FTD would release it in the classic album-format with a nice 7" cover and a booklet. It would also be great if Sony would digitally issue a remastered version.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

Maybe they remixed everything before selecting the final track listing, would it be nice to hear the mixes of the songs not finally included.

Iván

La voz del Rey

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by LesterB »

Given that the album was pressed in the USA and Germany in 1987, I am assuming that the source files were digital?

I had both the German pressing and the USA pressing but the USA sounds better to me? Can anyone comment?

JUST FOR TODAY

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

LesterB wrote:Given that the album was pressed in the USA and Germany in 1987, I am assuming that the source files were digital?

I had both the German pressing and the USA pressing but the USA sounds better to me? Can anyone comment?
I only have the European pressing form Germany. What differences are you noticing, Lester?

By the way, for certain everything from gold records 5 on was digitally done, maybe even before. Nothing against it. If well done, you cannot even notice it. See how MFSL has been making a living out of digital transfers while claiming everything was analogue.

The problem is that most 80’s Elvis projects sound very digital, because they were using all kinds of digital tools and artifacts, maybe out of novelty, maybe to make it sound contemporary. Grab the top ten hits and it’s screaming “I’m a pot filled with digital tricks”. Then take the uk all time greatest hits and you’ll have a very sympathetic project, with an overall great sound. Essential 2 it’s still one great sounding album too. Both done by the great Bob Bopin’ Jones. But Dick in the USA usually had a field day.

And yet, I really appreciate that they were really trying to do something new in terms of sound. And most of tue downside is the nasty noise
Reduction. But it wasn’t all their fault. Everybody and the cat was flipping over tue fact that Cds had no noise. And if some engineer preserved some noise from old tapes for the sake of better sound quality, there were people who actually returned the cds that had background noise.

Iván

La voz del Rey

EAP 35
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by EAP 35 »

Agree with the noise reduction although I think digital noise reduction was first used around 1988. But it was used a lot after that, especially on the 50s and 60s boxes.

dougkapp
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by dougkapp »

I like this album very much. I have the LP and CD version. In my iTunes library it is the most played album.
I remember that the Brazilian fan clubs criticized negatively this mix at the time of its release, they called it artificial.
I really wish BMG had continued with these mixes, at least remixing the 1970 recordings.
An interesting question is to know if there were any mixed tracks left in the archives that were not used on The Memphis Record album. I have never read anything about this.

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

frus75 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:02 am
LesterB wrote:Given that the album was pressed in the USA and Germany in 1987, I am assuming that the source files were digital?

I only have the European pressing form Germany. What differences are you noticing, Lester?

By the way, for certain everything from gold records 5 on was digitally done, maybe even before. Nothing against it. If well done, you cannot even notice it. See how MFSL has been making a living out of digital transfers while claiming everything was analogue.

The problem is that most 80’s Elvis projects sound very digital, because they were using all kinds of digital tools and artifacts, maybe out of novelty, maybe to make it sound contemporary. Grab the top ten hits and it’s screaming “I’m a pot filled with digital tricks”. Then take the uk all time greatest hits and you’ll have a very sympathetic project, with an overall great sound. Essential 2 it’s still one great sounding album too. Both done by the great Bob Bopin’ Jones. But Dick in the USA usually had a field day.

And yet, I really appreciate that they were really trying to do something new in terms of sound. And most of tue downside is the nasty noise
Reduction. But it wasn’t all their fault. Everybody and the cat was flipping over tue fact that Cds had no noise. And if some engineer preserved some noise from old tapes for the sake of better sound quality, there were people who actually returned the cds that had background noise.
Hi Iván
It’s the same sort of difference between say the speakers corner FEIM and the USA pressings - a tape generation up. However, I have now had 3 USA pressings including a new sealed copy and all are slightly warped but still sound fantastic. I may buy another German copy and see if my memory is correct.

JUST FOR TODAY

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

LesterB wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 1:49 am
frus75 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:02 am

Hi Iván
It’s the same sort of difference between say the speakers corner FEIM and the USA pressings - a tape generation up. However, I have now had 3 USA pressings including a new sealed copy and all are slightly warped but still sound fantastic. I may buy another German copy and see if my memory is correct.
All 3 copies you own are warped? Damn, that’s gots 2 suck.

I recently found another copy, Still Sealed.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

It’s an edge warp so a visual problem more than an audio but still not ideal ofcourse. It is on both records on all 3 copies so probably the batch rather than bad luck.
I would be interested to see if yours has an edge warp.

JUST FOR TODAY

Mona Lisa
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Post by Mona Lisa »

RickGreekElvis wrote:Image

I was just listening to this album today. I feel it needs to be back out there available on CD/Vinyl/Digital Download with upgraded sound.
It doesn't.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Mona Lisa men have named you ...

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

RickGreekElvis wrote:Image

I was just listening to this album today. I feel it needs to be back out there available on CD/Vinyl/Digital Download with upgraded sound.
It
"Digitally Remastered, HIGH QUALITY SOUND"

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

Blimey! A digital remaster of a digital remaster remix!

JUST FOR TODAY

DakotaKid
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by DakotaKid »

No thank you.

Andy-M

Post by Andy-M »

The Memphis Record CD was also released /Made in Canada, Australia and JAPAN .
I like this CD and LP a lot .

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

I remember when I first picked up my cassette copy back in 1987 as a young punk kid and even then I noticed immediately the punchy sound, and the mixes were extremely different to what I had heard before.

I still love that album, but like others have commented, I would really like to hear the rest of the tracks that were not included on the original release.

It would have been great Had they (RCA/BMG) released a three (3) LP version, rather than have the redundancy of The Number One Hits and The Top Ten Hits, but I get why they did that.

Here’s hoping that we finally get the final masters, newly remixed and remastered with all the overdubs, released sometime soon before we all crap the bed.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

minkahed wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 pm
Here’s hoping that we finally get the final masters, newly remixed and remastered with all the overdubs, released sometime soon before we all crap the bed.
Coming soon :wink:

JohnnyByeBye
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by JohnnyByeBye »

Back in '87,Memphis Record sounded fresh with more modern by offering alternate mixes to those great tracks. I liked it very much. For example,I remember thinking how clear and punchy the snare drum sounded on the lp. The more prominent harmony vocal on Gentle On My Mind still gives me goosebumps (in a good way). It has a very nice,longing, melancholic effect. Just what the whole song is about in the first place,at least to me.

On the other hand, the mastering lacked low end (bass),which made you miss some stellar,groovy bass lines played in the Memphis sessions.

I would say that remastering would be enough to bring that baby to the 2020's while still keeping the nice,alternate '87 mixes.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

DakotaKid wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 am
No thank you.
You had to stew on that response for a whole year did ya?

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mister Mike »

sweetangeline wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:20 am
minkahed wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 pm
Coming soon :wink:
What is? A reissue or crapping the bed? :)

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Alexander »

Nigel77 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:09 am
This was my favourite release for the 10th Anniversary of Elvis' passing in 1987. Not sure how large an audience it would have in 2023, particularly after other reissues/remastered FEIM sets. Though, I wouldn't mind a remastered release of the quadrophonic 8-track release.
I bought the Q8 8track of From Elvis In Memphis years ago together with an quad 8track player and hooked it to 2 stereo amplifiers with speaker sets connected to recreate the quad experience. I still listen to that tape regularly and I can tell you that the quad mix of this album blows any other release out of the water. So pretty!
From Elvis In Memphis Q8 (Quad 8Track).jpg
The Memphis Record is a great album too. I have both the original 1987 2LP set and the CD release. Why bother for a reissue or remaster when mint copies are up for grabs on Ebay?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnnyByeBye
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by JohnnyByeBye »

Alexander wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:15 am
I bought the Q8 8track of From Elvis In Memphis years ago together with an quad 8track player and hooked it to 2 stereo amplifiers with speaker sets connected to recreate the quad experience. I still listen to that tape regularly and I can tell you that the quad mix of this album blows any other release out of the water.
Quite extensive setup for just listening to the 4-channel mix of the album now and then. But definitely shows dedicatiion to the subject. Respect!

Now,THAT mix should be released as a multi-channel DVD-A disc or something. And would make more sense than re-releasing The Memphis Record. Talk about bringing a new viewpoint to a familiar subject!

I would love to hear the 4-channel mix of that great album. However, I wonder if the master tapes of the mixes are anywhere in BMG vaults to be found anymore