Software update

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Software update

Post by ColinB »

fecc-mechanic wrote:The forum software has been updated to the latest version.
As always, please report any bugs/problems in this thread.
I thought you'd forgotten all about us ages ago.......................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

ColinB wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:The forum software has been updated to the latest version.
As always, please report any bugs/problems in this thread.
I thought you'd forgotten all about us ages ago.......................
Nah, I've been here off and on as tech issues have arisen. Haven't been as active as far as actually participating in threads, due to school. It seems every other day now a new paper needs to be written! :shock:
:lol:

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Some updates.

There was a bug where when you viewed a user's profile who had more than 5000 posts, you couldn't see their most active topic/forum. This has been corrected.

Also a mobile theme has been installed to streamline the "mobile" experience for those that like to browse on their smart-phones. If you preferred the regular look on your phones when browsing, you can also click a link at the bottom of any page to go back to the full theme.

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

@elvis1935
What browser do you use?

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

@elvis1935 Good deal!

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

To say that sucked, would be an understatement. During the upgrade process of the forum to the latest software package, one of the files within said upgrade package was corrupt - sending the forum into the errors you saw earlier. Luckily, the forum is backed-up automatically. The bad news is, the backup was from roughly ten hours ago. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Jordan

ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

fecc-mechanic wrote:To say that sucked, would be an understatement. During the upgrade process of the forum to the latest software package, one of the files within said upgrade package was corrupt - sending the forum into the errors you saw earlier. Luckily, the forum is backed-up automatically. The bad news is, the backup was from roughly ten hours ago. I apologize for any inconvenience.
No worries, we all very much appreciate your hard work and dedication to keep this great forum rockin'!

::rocks

And so does fecc-mechanic!!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Scarre »

I agree. Perhaps us "old timers" should make a donation of some kind...money?

trevorelvis
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by trevorelvis »

Can't seem to get the forum working with Tapatalk at the moment - is there a problem or is it just me ?

T

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

trevorelvis wrote:Can't seem to get the forum working with Tapatalk at the moment - is there a problem or is it just me ?

T
Works fine on this end. Any particular error message?

Jordan

ImageImage

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Domino »

Sometimes I have a real problem with getting signed out all the time.I read a post and click on the next notification link and I'm signed out .Sometimes I go for a while and it's fine .Sometimes I have to sign back in several times just to get through half a dozen posts.Anyone know what causes this ?

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Hi domino. Make sure that your browser does not block the ability to save cookies from third party sites (such as this one). Or that you do not utilize a browser extension that blocks cookies. The ability to stay logged in, and to automatically be logged in each time you visit relies upon the ability of your browser to store and retain the cookie assigned to your login.

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Also, are you using Firefox by any chance? I've seen this behavior in Firefox more than any other browser. If your browser is set up to save cookies already - an older cookie may be conflicting. The quick fix for this would be to clear your browsers cookies and cache. The new cookie you are assigned after doing so will be correct, and the login/out behavior you describe should go away.

Jordan

ImageImage

Domino

Post by Domino »

fecc-mechanic wrote:Also, are you using Firefox by any chance? I've seen this behavior in Firefox more than any other browser. If your browser is set up to save cookies already - an older cookie may be conflicting. The quick fix for this would be to clear your browsers cookies and cache. The new cookie you are assigned after doing so will be correct, and the login/out behavior you describe should go away.
Yes this is Firefox.I'm not very computer savvy so a lot of what you say goes over my head.
So would the quick fix mean going to the bottom of the page where it says Delete all board cookies ?

ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

Domino wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:Also, are you using Firefox by any chance? I've seen this behavior in Firefox more than any other browser. If your browser is set up to save cookies already - an older cookie may be conflicting. The quick fix for this would be to clear your browsers cookies and cache. The new cookie you are assigned after doing so will be correct, and the login/out behavior you describe should go away.
Yes this is Firefox.I'm not very computer savvy so a lot of what you say goes over my head.
So would the quick fix mean going to the bottom of the page where it says Delete all board cookies ?
No, he means this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=clear+cache+and+cookies+firefox&oq=clear+cache+and+cookies+firefox

It's quick and easy!

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

You could try that as well. Wouldn't hurt. But to clear all browser cache and cookies, you will need to do this: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic#firefox

Then after following the above tutorial, completely close and reopen Firefox, then click the "clear all board cookies" link you mentioned in your above post.

Jordan

ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

fecc-mechanic wrote:You could try that as well. Wouldn't hurt. But to clear all browser cache and cookies, you will need to do this: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic#firefox

Then after following the above tutorial, completely close and reopen Firefox, then click the "clear all board cookies" link you mentioned in your above post.
Changed my post to a better link!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Thanks for the help drjohncarpenter and fecc-mechanic.I'll let you know how it goes.

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Any time, Domino. I hope these interventions resolve the issue you are having.
Last edited by fecc-mechanic on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Test

Jordan

ImageImage

Domino

Post by Domino »

fecc-mechanic wrote:Any time, Domino. I hope these interventions resolve the issue you are having.

I haven't did the cookie clean out yet because everything has been working great lately.Maybe if it acts up again I'll do it.Thanks for the help.

ImageImage

Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Scarre »

I just, for fun, tried the FECC-CLASSIC style. I remember back when some members didn't like the modern style...is there anyone still preffering the old classic style?
Just as back then, I say modern rules!

Thank you, Jordan, for having our backs...