Elvis as I knew him by Phineas Newborn Jr. (1957 article)

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
The fool
Registered for: 21 years

Elvis as I knew him by Phineas Newborn Jr. (1957 article)

Post by The fool »

At the moment, I don´t have this magazine in my collection. But the article is interesting enough to be posted here. The photos of the cover and the article are from eBay.

Elvis as I knew him
by Phineas Newborn Jr.
Teenage Review, May 1957
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis as I knew him by Phineas Newborn Jr. (1957 article

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The fool wrote:At the moment, I don´t have this magazine in my collection. But the article is interesting enough to be posted here. The photos of the cover and the article are from eBay.

Elvis as I knew him
by Phineas Newborn Jr.
Teenage Review, May 1957
As always, a fascinating and illuminating share, thank you so much. Wow. This appears to be new, credible information about the early days. The 1957 article by Phineas Newborn, Jr. all fits the known history, and rings completely true. He's not bragging in any way, and in fact seems to be a little surprised at Presley's success, given his personal experience. I also recently learned of a side business he had back then, Phineas Newborn's Record Shop at 344 Beale Street. Elvis certainly could have checked that place out as well.

530000_Calvin Newborn.JPG
Calvin Newborn, circa 1953 ... famously called "Flying Calvin"
Photo: George Hardin

At the time, the Newborns at the Flamingo Room were a very hot attraction, according to news reports:

540604_Memphis World p02.JPG
Memphis World - Friday, June 4, 1954
http://www.crossroadstofreedom.org/view.player?pid=rds:75816

540522_Pittsburgh Courier p11.JPG
Pittsburgh Courier - Saturday, May 22, 1954
SETTING MEMPHIS ON FIRE - Phineas Newborn's inspirational young "jump" orchestra looms as the band of the year. The combine is sending" crowds nightly at Clifford Miller's Flamingo Room in Memphis, Tenn. The "ork" also is under the personal management of Mr. Miller, one of Memphis' outstanding young businessmen. Members of the orchestra, which doubles as a floorshow act, are: Phineas Newborn, drums; Calvin Newborn, a sensation on guitar; Wanda Jones, singer and trombonist; Kenneth Banks, bass; Gene Miller, trumpet; Robert Garner, piano; Moses Reed, sax; Harold Conners, crooner - organist, and Lucian Coleman, sax. Williams Photo.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/40130063/

So it is not shocking to imagine Elvis serving up a few tunes with the Newborns in the fall of 1954, at the Flamingo Room, 140 1/2 Hernando Street in Memphis, after having it set up by DJ Dewey Phillips, who was friends with the owner and band's manager, Clifford Miller. Some numbers I can imagine them doing include his first single, "Hearts of Stone," "Fool, Fool, Fool" or as noted, "Shake, Rattle And Roll."

Plus, Elvis and girlfriend Dixie Locke are known to have attended at least one Newborn show in Memphis. There are clearly still things to learn about this crucial period in Presley's career. Thanks again.

P.S. Here's a better version of the cover:

570500_Teenage Review.JPG
570500_Teenage Review p66-67.JPG

Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!