Best sound for the "Kid Galahad" masters?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Best sound for the "Kid Galahad" masters?

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I am listening to the "Kid Galahad" FTD today, and while it is a very pleasant experience, I am still wondering... are the masters released in better sound elsewhere? They do sound thin. A bit metallic. This was before Vic, Kevan,Sebastian and those guys began working for FTD.

Please note that I am not interested in huge boxsets, I'm looking for a regular CD that has these masters in top-notch sound.

There is gold to be found in Elvis' soundtrack catalogue. So many great songs, I don't know where to start...

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Best sound for the "Kid Galahad" masters?

Post by stevelecher »

You might listen to the Double Features CD. They seems to be the "go to" versions for many of us when listening to movie soundtracks.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

The masters were greatly improved on the 'Complete masters' set - the difference is huge! Regretfully 'King' is the shortened master as released in 1961.
The double features has digital echo added and sounds flat, soft and artificial ...

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I love the Double Feautures including the "digital echo". Reading the other day an interview with one of the musicians and was apalled that some of those soundtrack sessions failed to provide echo in post-productiion to the dry sound after being told it was going to happen. That's the way they came out. And good to have them for history's sake. But for enjoyment? Screw that. :) BTW The great Bob Boppin' Jones added echo to the kool Stereo 57 release. I am happy he did. Cause it surely needed it, especially for mainstream release.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

I prefer the 'The Complete Masters' stereo masters too. The digital echo has gone and the stereo image is wide and not narrow like the DF versions, admittedly they are featured with their EP length edits but they're certainly my preferred versions. The 'TCM versions' are also available on the UK/EU 20 Original Albums - The Movie Soundtracks Box from 2014, as TCM has long since been sold out...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

california boy
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by california boy »

It might seems wierd but i love the sound on the original 1962 EP ;)

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Alexander »

For me TCM is superior, but I also have a weak spot for the 2 masters on the I Got Lucky Camden album (original vinyl) and EP from 1962.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Yes the original mixes mastered by Anesini sound great, but the MIXES on the Double Features are superior, even though they may have shortcomings as previously noted.