Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Elvis Presley Sings Leiber And Stoller CD

Post by When In Rome »

After having this on cassette for many years I recently picked up the CD version on eBay. The cassette version had all the tracks in mono, including an edited intro to 'Saved'. The CD however had been remastered in 1991 and aside from the 'incorrect' spliced master of 'I want to be free' (you see, it's not a new phenomenon!) and a rather unimaginative fade in on 'Saved', I was surprised to hear a little count-in on the track 'Don't' which I don't recall hearing before. So for those of you have never heard it either, follow the link below...

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/54723155/file.html

I have no idea if it's been tagged on from another song or whatever or indeed if it's appeared on anything else, but I'm sure one of you guys will know...
cassette cover circa 1985 -
'Ye ancient olde cassette cover...'.jpg
CD cover circa 1991-
'Jolly spiffing all new colour cover, I say!!...'.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

Mike C
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Elvis Presley Sings Leiber And Stoller CD

Post by Mike C »

Yup, that cd has the Don't count in. It has also a digital tape glitch on "Love Me". The recordings skips at one point in the middle of the song.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

Mike C wrote:Yup, that cd has the Don't count in. It has also a digital tape glitch on "Love Me". The recordings skips at one point in the middle of the song.
Indeed. Clocked that too...

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Yes, I bought this recently hoping it had the correct spliced version of I Want To Be Free. One of the few CDs that does have it is Essential Elvis.

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by colonel snow »

The LP and cassette versions have all tracks in mono; the CD has stereo tracks.

colonel snow

KevinK
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by KevinK »

Man I played the hell out of that CD when I got it :smt020

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by sweetangeline »

Mike C wrote:Yup, that cd has the Don't count in.
is the count-in available elsewhere??

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

sweetangeline wrote:
Mike C wrote:Yup, that cd has the Don't count in.
is the count-in available elsewhere??
Not on any other BMG Cd that I can think of. It may be on a import release.

Elvis as Danny Fisher

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by matilda »

didn't had the cd version the first release of you're the boss (even shortly before collectors gold)?

Topic author
When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

matilda wrote:didn't had the cd version the first release of you're the boss (even shortly before collectors gold)?
Quite possibly, both were released in 1991, I'm not sure which came first in the EU or the U.S., the US catalogue numbers suggests the Leiber & Stoller CD? The credits in the Collectors Gold box state 'Digitally Mastered at BMG Recording Studios, New York City, December 1990'. The Leiber & Stoller CD mentions 'Special Bonus Track : You're The Boss - A much requested and sought after collectible makes it's U.S. debut. This classic duet with Ann-Margret was recorded in July 1963 for the M.G.M motion picture Viva Las Vegas. A recent search of the RCA Records vault led to the discovery of the unreleased tape master.'

Edit : I just looked in Ernst Jorgenson book 'Elvis Presley : A Life In Music - The Complete Recording Sessions' and it seems in the U.S. , as the CD notes suggest, it made it's debut on the Leiber And Stoller CD April 1991, Collectors Gold then followed in August 1991.
Last edited by When In Rome on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Great post, W.I.R.!
Can we see the back cover, please? :D

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

When In Rome wrote:
matilda wrote:didn't had the cd version the first release of you're the boss (even shortly before collectors gold)?
Quite possibly, both were released in 1991, I'm not sure which came first in the EU or the U.S., the US catalogue numbers suggests the Leiber & Stoller CD? The credits in the Collectors Gold box state 'Digitally Mastered at BMG Recording Studios, New York City, December 1990'. The Leiber & Stoller CD mentions 'Special Bonus Track : You're The Boss - A much requested and sought after collectible makes it's U.S. debut. This classic duet with Ann-Margret was recorded in July 1963 for the M.G.M motion picture Viva Las Vegas. A recent search of the RCA Records vault led to the discovery of the unreleased tape master.'

Edit : I just looked in Ernst Jorgenson book 'Elvis Presley : A Life In Music - The Complete Recording Sessions' and it seems in the U.S. , as the CD notes suggest, it made it's debut on the Leiber And Stoller CD April 1991, Collectors Gold then followed in August 1991.
Ernst's book is correct. These are the only cds which have the first edit of "You're the Boss" which is take 16 and ending from take 3, as I recall. All other releases, including the VLV FTD, have just the full take 16. Indeed, the complete alternate take 3 actually made its initial debut on an Ann Margret RCA Greatest hits collection in 2001, as I recall.

Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

JimmyCool wrote:Great post, W.I.R.!
Can we see the back cover, please? :D
Forgive my crude scanning, but here you go...
Rear.jpg
Booklet.jpg
Inner Booklet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimmyCool
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Looks good to me, thank you very much ;)

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years

Post by stevelecher »

I like best the version of You're The Boss that splices the end of take 3 onto take 16. Elvis and Ann ooze sexuality on that ending. To this day, it is only available on this Leiber/Stoller CD, correct?

DayVee Bee
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DayVee Bee »

This one is a beauty from France (2004)

Elvis Chante Jerry Leiber And Mike Stoller

CD 1 (77 mins)
Hound Dog, Love Me, Hot Dog, Loving You, Jailhouse Rock, I Want To Be Free, Baby I Don't Care, Treat Me Nice, Don't (w/count-in), Santa Claus Is Back In Town, Trouble, King Creole, Steadfast, Loyal & True, Dirty, Dirty Feeling, Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello, She's Not You, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Bossa Nova Baby, You're The Boss, Little Egypt, Fools Fall In Love, Saved, If You Don't Come Back, Three Corn Patches, Jailhouse Rock (S 2001 #6), I Want To Be Free (S 2010 #11), Steadfast, Loyal & True (accappella).
Alternates: Loving You (KX #1), Loving You (HZ #1), Treat Me Nice (S 2003 #19), Treat Me Nice (2008 #6), I Want To Be Free (2009 #3,4), Loving You (HY #3), Loving You (HZ #6), King Creole (R #8, instrumental).

CD 2 (77 mins)
Loving You (20 secs live '69/ KX #5), Loving You (HZ #10), Jailhouse Rock (2001 #5), Jailhouse Rock (2002 overdub), Loving You (KX #8), Loving You (HZ #12), Treat Me Nice (2008 sp#10/13), Loving You (KX #13), Treat Me Nice (S 2008 sp#10/13 w/guitar OD), I Want To Be Free (2009 sp#10/12/13), Loving You (S KX #15), Treat Me Nice (S 2008 #12-13), I Want To Be Free (S 2009 #12), Baby I Don't Care (S 2015 #1), Loving You (KX #20,21), King Creole (E #3), King Creole (E #18), Steadfast, Loyal & True (M #6), Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello (#1), Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello (#4), She's Not You (#2sp), Girls! Girls! Girls! (PO1#15), Bossa Nova Baby (AO #2), You're The Boss (2011 #3), You're The Boss (2011 #16), Little Egypt (AO #21), If You Don't Come Back (#3), Three Corn Patches (#14), Little Egypt/Trouble (68 Special), Trouble (#21), Saved (#6).
Bonus tracks: Hound Dog (Freddie Bell & The Bellboys), Love Me (Willy & Ruth), Bossa Nova Baby (Tippie & The Clovers).

- See more at: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/cd/cd_elvischante_released.shtml#sthash.xWYHN9wB.dpuf

"I'm too Crazy to be Serious!"

sgoodyear62
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by sgoodyear62 »

Bought this CD when it was first released. Haven't played it in years will have to give it a spin this week.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

stevelecher wrote:I like best the version of You're The Boss that splices the end of take 3 onto take 16. Elvis and Ann ooze sexuality on that ending. To this day, it is only available on this Leiber/Stoller CD, correct?
It is also available on 1991's Collector's Gold, CD1.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years

Post by stevelecher »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:I like best the version of You're The Boss that splices the end of take 3 onto take 16. Elvis and Ann ooze sexuality on that ending. To this day, it is only available on this Leiber/Stoller CD, correct?
It is also available on 1991's Collector's Gold, CD1.
Yeah, you're right. I had thought Collector's Gold featured the complete take 16. This spliced take is very entertaining.

On another note, there are a few fans here that are really hung up about that spliced master take of I Want To Be Free. I'm all for getting it right, but the unspliced complete take isn't much of a downgrade. Like Don'tcha Think It's Time, I sometimes wonder why they didn't think the take was fine the way it was.

trouble_jw
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by trouble_jw »

Will have to look out for this CD. Thanks for the post.

"If you're looking for trouble_jw......you came to the right place"

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Addendum from my earlier post. Below is a question answer Ernst gave to the FECC site back in 1999:

"RCA celebrates his 100th anniversary with a serie of CD's. One is dedicated to Elvis, and another to Ann Margaret. On this last CD, we can find two versions of the duets with Elvis and Ann. The version of "The Lady Loves Me" has the indication "Take 9" (we know that the master take is 10). But, there is no indication for the song " You're the boss", and it is an alternate version. I would like to know what is the take number and why the takes are so clean and sound so good.
(From Germain Tremblay)

+++ I haven't heard the CD. The producer must have gotten back to the session reels, and without permission, just used the outtakes. The reason they sound so good, is that I recently acquired the original 3 track tapes of the two songs, and I'm very annoyed of this abuse. These should have come out on an Elvis CD, and not be used to force collectors into buying an Ann Margret CD they may not want. More information to follow."

Elvis as Danny Fisher

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The sound quality of Viva Las Vegas tracks has GREATLY improved since Ernst obtained those original 3 track tapes.

Topic author
When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

Mike C wrote:Addendum from my earlier post. Below is a question answer Ernst gave to the FECC site back in 1999:

"RCA celebrates his 100th anniversary with a serie of CD's. One is dedicated to Elvis, and another to Ann Margaret. On this last CD, we can find two versions of the duets with Elvis and Ann. The version of "The Lady Loves Me" has the indication "Take 9" (we know that the master take is 10). But, there is no indication for the song " You're the boss", and it is an alternate version. I would like to know what is the take number and why the takes are so clean and sound so good.
(From Germain Tremblay)

+++ I haven't heard the CD. The producer must have gotten back to the session reels, and without permission, just used the outtakes. The reason they sound so good, is that I recently acquired the original 3 track tapes of the two songs, and I'm very annoyed of this abuse. These should have come out on an Elvis CD, and not be used to force collectors into buying an Ann Margret CD they may not want. More information to follow."
I have that CD. I know we've since got those takes on the FTD now but here are the tracks in question from the Ann-Margret compilation, just for the heck of it...
The Very Best Of Ann-Margret.jpg
You're the Boss -
http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/84512782/file.html

The Lady Love Me -
http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/18756691/file.html

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

When In Rome wrote:
Mike C wrote:Addendum from my earlier post. Below is a question answer Ernst gave to the FECC site back in 1999:

(From Germain Tremblay)

I have that CD. I know we've since got those takes on the FTD now but here are the tracks in question from the Ann-Margret compilation, just for the heck of it...

2001 CD The Very Best Of Ann Margret. 'May I take your wrap Missus?'

You're the Boss -
http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/84512782/file.html

The Lady Love Me -
http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/18756691/file.html
They sound pretty good, don't they? The former is alternate take 9, the latter alternate take 3. IIRC, they both appear on FTD's Silver Screen Stereo, released in 2001.

It's a travesty "You're The Boss" was cut from the film, and the master takes of the above duets were not officially issued in 1964 as part of a soundtrack LP for "Viva Las Vegas." It would have been a chart-topper. Ultimately, one must call it what it was: management sabotage, and all in the name of maintaining "control" of the artist.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JimmyCool
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

When In Rome wrote:The CD however had (...) a rather unimaginative fade in on 'Saved'.
I made this edit of "Saved!" a few years ago:
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/47511018/file.html