George Klein Radio Ratings Fraud

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

George Klein Radio Ratings Fraud

Post by elvisjock »

Here's a clip from today's issue of Radio & Records, offering a look back at GK's legal troubles in 1977.

"It was spectacular front-page R&R news in December 1977 that included scandal, wild accusations, federal charges and eventually, Elvis Presley’s father on the witness stand. George Klein, the former PD for WHBQ/Memphis, was on trial after being indicted on four counts of conspiring with a former postal employee to steal Arbitron diaries. Klein pleaded not guilty, although he admitted to filling out diaries in order to inflate WHBQ’s ratings.

Klein testified that it was station GM Dick French who gave him the diaries with orders to fill them out. On the stand, French denied the accusation and countered by saying a postal inspector alerted him of the alleged diary-tampering plot. Adding further insult to injury for Klein, French added -- under oath -- that when Arbitron ratings subsequently showed WHBQ vaulting from No. 7 in the ratings to No. 2, he was surprised, explaining he didn’t think Klein was doing a good enough job as PD to merit such an increase.

Adding flavor to the spectacle was the surreal appearance of Vernon Presley, who testified on behalf of Klein as a character witness. The former postal worker ultimately plea-bargained; Klein was acquitted of three mail fraud charges, but found guilty on one count of conspiracy and sentenced to 60 days in federal prison."

Elvis called Jimmy Carter in June of '77, and asked him to consider pardonng GK, to which the president replied, "but Elvis, he hasn't even been tried yet."

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: George Klein Radio Ratings Fraud

Post by drjohncarpenter »

GK, "the Geeker in yer Speaker ..."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

After payola, ratings fraud is just about the worst thing you can do in radio. At the time, there were probably only several hundred diaries placed in the market. Since the results determine advertising rates, tampering with even one of them can have major consequences.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

KHoots
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KHoots »

elvisjock wrote:After payola, ratings fraud is just about the worst thing you can do in radio.
Yeah, that and talking up the intro of "Stairway To Heaven." Do NOT do that!