I'm left, you`re right, she`s gone - false start!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
kevanbudd
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

I'm left, you`re right, she`s gone - false start!

Post by kevanbudd »

Graceland auction acetate appears to contain a false start for `I'm left, you're right, she's gone!

I asked Graceland to post a sample of the fragment which wasn't a part of the original audio/video sample they posted, which they kindly did for me and there it appeared!

Audio file MP3
https://instaud.io/2tId

Requested video posted

Original video posted

http://auction.graceland.com/1955_Sun_Records_Acetate_Pair_for_Elvis_Presley_s_-LOT3368.aspx

I have spoken to Graceland by phone, but there doesn't appear to be any other unreleased parts on the other acetates as far as they know.

I have contacted Ernst regarding these acetates and the false start.

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drjohncarpenter

Re: I'm left, you`re right, she`s gone - false start!

Post by drjohncarpenter »

kevanbudd on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:36 am wrote:Acetate appears to contain a false start for `I'm left, you're right, she's gone!

I asked Graceland to post a sample of the fragment which wasn't a part of the original audio sample, which they kindly did and there it appeared!

Requested video posted

Original video posted

http://auction.graceland.com/1955_Sun_Records_Acetate_Pair_for_Elvis_Presley_s_-LOT3368.aspx

Neat little find.

That's definitely a false start. What I hear then is the opening note not properly held in sustained fashion. Elvis' hand slips. So he plays it again, holding the note so it continues to ring, and the others join in. It's always a thrill to hear how Scotty Moore, Elvis and Bill Black -- and in this example, 16 year-old Jimmie Lott on drums -- working together. Elvis' acoustic is right there, what a combo.

The auction acetates also include Slim Rhodes. These acetates leave no doubt in my mind the Presley master of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" was cut in early March 1955. Slim's sessions were in late February.

Interesting that the acetates seem to be for radio use, as commercial spots, and not for promotion of the actual discs. One assumes Sam Phillips would have simply sent freshly-pressed copies of Sun 216 and 217 when ready.

Also interesting these were in the collection of the late Steve LaVere, a legendary blues archivist and authority. What else might be in the thousands of items he left behind when he died in December 2015? This auction lot is another example of the possibility, even now, for something "new" on Elvis from Sun in 1954 or 1955 to appear. Maybe even complete songs that Phillips auditioned but chose not to release.

So far, no one has met the minimum bid of $1,000.00. They put up the second video too, which is smart if they want to see the discs get sold. I copied the whole thing below. Thanks again for sharing this information, anything from Elvis at Sun is a treat.

THE AUCTION AT GRACELAND•ELVIS WEEK • AUGUST 12, 2018

LOT #10:

1955 Sun Records Acetate Pair for Elvis Presley’s “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” (Full Version and Two Incomplete Fragments) and Slim Rhodes’ “Uncertain Love” and “Don’t Believe”

Offered are a pair of Sun Records acetates capturing recordings for Sun Records 216 and the side B songs from Sun 217. Of course, Sun 217 is the Elvis Presley single release for “Baby Let’s Play House” (matrix 143) and side B “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” (matrix U-142) which was Elvis’ fourth single release of five with Sun Records. “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” was recorded in March 1955 and the single with “Baby Let’s Play House” was released in April 1955. Sun 216 is a single release from 1955 with songs by Slim Rhodes, “Don’t Believe” (matrix U-144) and “Uncertain Love” (matrix U-145).

3368_lg.jpeg

The first acetate has handwritten in grease pencil between the pressing holes reading “Sun 216 / 33 1/2 / I-145” divided by a hand-drawn line beneath which reads, “Sun 217 / 33 1/2, 45 (Inc) / U-142.” "INC" most likley refers to the track recording being incomplete on these acetates. Above the handwritten notations is a piece of adhesive tape on which the writing reads "ELIVS-UR RIGHT / SLIM RHODES-UNCERTAIN / LOVE-TEST TONES." The tape and its notations could very well be from a later period, but they have been on there for some time, most likely several decades, at least. The tape is affixed between the center hole and top of the three pressing holes. It should be noted that these three holes, from Sam Phillips "Presto" record lathe, arranged as such constitute the holes that form the "delta" marks on the labels of Elvis' first four Sun recordings. This side contains the Elvis song “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” immediately followed by Slim Rhodes crooning “Uncertain Love” and an additional partial portion of “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” again with a total run time of 5:42. The reverse side of this acetate which has only the circular Audiodisc marking in the center is simply a series of production tones only.

There is some uncertainty about the recording date of certain versions of “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone." While we know several takes were recorded on a well-documented Sun recording session on November 15, 1954, there is some evidence and reporting from session players that the the song was also played during the March 5, 1955, session, where other songs were tried out by the band. While the complete track on the first acetate is the released version of the song, it's possible the incomplete versions on both acetates are from an alternate take or takes. The fact that Slim Rhodes appears on the offered acetates is further evidence that this song may have been recorded at the later of the two sessions in question, because Rhodes didn't start working with Sun until 1955, recording these two songs in late-February of that year. It would make a certain amount of sense, but is by no means for sure, that the acetates were compiled with recordings made during the same period of time. Alternatively, the fact that both songs were eventually released in April 1955, could explain why they appear on the acetates together.

3368b_lg.jpeg

The second acetate has similar tape, pressing holes and handwritten grease pen markings which read “Sun 216 / U-144-45” and “Sun 217 / U-142-45 (Inc)” below the line has a total run time of 3:44 and begins with the remainder of “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” which gets cut off abruptly near the end. This partial track is followed by Slim Rhodes singing “Don’t Believe.” Above the handwritten notations is a piece of adhesive tape on which the writing reads "ELIVS-UR RIGHT-INC / SLIM RHODES-DON'T / BELIEVE-RADIO SPOTS." The second side of this acetate, which has a running time of 2:09 and is marked only with the Audiodisc circular engraving, contains a talking commercial for a contemporary kitchen and house, with a woman’s voice walking you through the modern features and a man’s voice breaking into the middle to advertise “Frank’s” for all your needs.

The offered acetates, and the other two lots of Sun acetates offered here, were acquired from the collection of Steve LaVere. LaVere is a somewhat contoversial and somewhat legendary figure in the history of American blues music. He was involved in some of the early efforts in the 1960s by the Imperial label to gather historical blues compilations, and he was a key figure in helping the family of blues legend Robert Johnson establish claim to his publishing rights—a process steeped in public and professional contention, to say the least. Along the way, Steve also amassed a large collection of rare and obscure blues and rock and roll records. These Sun production acetates were purchased from his collection.

Each acetate plays clearly with the typical pops and skips one might expect in an acetate of this age. Both of these amazing Sun acetates measure 12 inches (30.48 cm) in diameter and are accompanied by a letter of authenticity from Graceland Authenticated.

The acetate presents with expected wear, with several scuffs and scratches. Each acetate plays clearly with the typical pops and skips one would expect.

Excellent condition.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by colonel snow »

kevanbudd on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:36 pm wrote:Graceland auction acetate appears to contain a false start for `I'm left, you're right, she's gone!

I asked Graceland to post a sample of the fragment which wasn't a part of the original audio/video sample they posted, which they kindly did for me and there it appeared!

Audio file MP3

Requested video posted

Original video posted

Kevan Budd.
You've very good ears to discover this false start; I think a lot of people shouldn't noticed this.

colonel snow

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

I think the false start is actually Elvis on guitar. It sounds like an acoustic guitar with Elvis hammering onto the A-string at the 2nd Fret rather than an electric guitar.

Scotty actually used the same hammer on for the opening of Mystery Train.

Great find. Thanks, Kevan! And, yes, Doc, one wonders what else is in that archive.
Last edited by Mike C on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Great find & detective work Kevan! :smt023 .

We´re having a glorious week, thanks to you for finding/providing unreleased audio material for FTD 8). First the "Girl Happy" acetates & now this cool SUN false start :smt020. Ernst Jorgensen must be a happy too :wink:.

It´s Elvis fans like you that makes worth coming back to FECC daily! ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Great info!! Very exciting!! I may have to save up!! Thanks Kevan and cool info Mike!

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:48 pm wrote:Great find & detective work Kevan!

We´re having a glorious week, thanks to you for finding/providing unreleased audio material for FTD. First the "Girl Happy" acetates & now this cool SUN false start .
It's very fun stuff.

But the unfortunate reality is that FTD has released two iterations of the Sun material (2012, 2017) and two of the "Girl Happy" soundtrack (2003, 2009). A "cool SUN false start" running 0:02 and a handful of MONO acetate dubs with extra verses totaling about 3 minutes are not likely to spur third editions of either one.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

I hope this acetates get out
so we can all have it

drjohncarpenter

Most here have probably never heard Sun 216, take a listen!

. .

Slim Rhodes "Don't Believe" (Sun 216, April 23, 1955)
"Vocal Brad Suggs".
Co-writer and lead singer Brad Suggs played guitar at Presley's two Memphis shows on 2-25-1961.

Slim Rhodes "Uncertain Love" (Sun 216, April 23, 1955)
"Vocal Dusty & Dot".
Lead singing by Dusty Rhodes and Dottie Rhodes.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by mike edwards66 »

kevanbudd wrote:Graceland auction acetate appears to contain a false start for `I'm left, you're right, she's gone!
Well spotted, Kevan!

Mike C wrote:I think the false star is actually Elvis on guitar. It sounds like an acoustic guitar hammering onto the A-string at the 2nd Fret rather than an electric guitar.
Impressive, Mike!

>>>

i take none of this seriously

MaestroDavros
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MaestroDavros »

drjohncarpenter on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm wrote:
Mike Windgren on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:48 pm wrote:Great find & detective work Kevan!

We´re having a glorious week, thanks to you for finding/providing unreleased audio material for FTD. First the "Girl Happy" acetates & now this cool SUN false start .
It's very fun stuff.

But the unfortunate reality is that FTD has released two iterations of the Sun material (2012, 2017) and two of the "Girl Happy" soundtrack (2003, 2009). A "cool SUN false start" running 0:02 and a handful of MONO acetate dubs with extra verses totaling about 3 minutes are not likely to spur third editions of either one.
It's unlikely, but there is of course the small possibility that FTD could include it on the "For LP Fans Only" FTD whenever that comes out. Just a thought, not a certainty.

drjohncarpenter

MaestroDavros on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:15 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm wrote:It's very fun stuff.

It's unlikely, but there is of course the small possibility that FTD could include it on the "For LP Fans Only" FTD whenever that comes out. Just a thought, not a certainty.
Certainly, that would be a landing spot, as the track was included there in 1959. But the time and expense involved in acquiring those Sun acetates may far outweigh the unreleased 0:02 it offers on just that one track. In addition, we have no idea where in the pipeline such an FTD may currently reside.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

kevanbudd on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:36 am wrote:Graceland auction acetate appears to contain a false start for `I'm left, you're right, she's gone!

I have spoken to Graceland by phone, but there doesn't appear to be any other unreleased parts on the other acetates as far as they know.
Kevan Budd.
SENSATIONAL work - well done.

Nice to know you are still keeping your eye out for new material.
Congrats.

Cheers
Piers

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter on July 27th, 2018, 12:26 am wrote:

It's very fun stuff.

Probably not a new SUN box set but I still have hope for a Girl Happy Sessions 2/3 cd set on FTD! :smt020. Lets wait and see... ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:46 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on July 27th, 2018, 12:26 am wrote:It's very fun stuff.

Probably not a new SUN box set but I still have hope for a Girl Happy Sessions 2/3 cd set on FTD! Lets wait and see...
There will not be a new Sun box green-lit by Sony to include a 0:02 false start. The other project you dream of is also very much wishful thinking at this time.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Perhaps after Ernst and Roger release The Complete Fun in Acapulco Sessions later this year, they will tackle the Girl Happy Sessions. As most know, Ernst loves Elvis' singing on those FIA Sessions and RCA has the complete session tapes. I am guessing they will turn to that one next.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by stevelecher »

Am I the only one here not overly excited by the solitary partial strum on this acetate? People wondering when it will be released? OK then.

drjohncarpenter

stevelecher on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:21 pm wrote:Am I the only one here not overly excited by the solitary partial strum on this acetate? People wondering when it will be released? OK then.
I understand your view, but anything from the Sun era is so precious, even a false start is kind of neat. But those pronouncing FTD will cull together a new box set to include it are perhaps losing the plot just a smidge.

More exciting, maybe, is a possible 1954 Scotty Moore instrumental found on another Sun acetate.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101850

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Mike C on July 27th, 2018, 10:26 pm wrote:Perhaps after Ernst and Roger release The Complete Fun in Acapulco Sessions later this year, they will tackle the Girl Happy Sessions. As most know, Ernst loves Elvis' singing on those FIA Sessions and RCA has the complete session tapes. I am guessing they will turn to that one next.
Well I´d prefer "Fun In Acapulco" first, it´s one of my favourite Elvis soundtrack, but I really don´t mind if FTD decides to release Girl Happy before! :wink:. You´re right, Ernst Jorgensen must have a soft spot for the "Fun In Acapulco" soundtrack as he has for Viva Las Vegas too 8).

Marguerita is Ernst Jorgensen secret "guilty pleasure", like every human being has one :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
I get completely lost when they do "Marguerita"! I think it's marvelous. I know I can't say that to people because they'll think I'm nuts but I love it.
The Viva Las Vegas material is good. It was better than so many of the other soundtracks. That band that's playing on that material, especially the title song, is really cookin' there. That's a fantastic track.

drjohncarpenter

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "Girl Happy," "Fun In Acapulco" and "Viva Las Vegas" on a topic about a rare Sun recording from 1955.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by colonel snow »

drjohncarpenter on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:55 pm wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "Girl Happy," "Fun In Acapulco" and "Viva Las Vegas" on a topic about a rare Sun recording from 1955.

Indeed the topic derailed.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TCBDan
Registered for: 10 years

Post by TCBDan »

kevanbudd wrote:Graceland auction acetate appears to contain a false start for `I'm left, you're right, she's gone!

Audio file MP3

Requested video posted

Original video posted

Kevan Budd.
Great find! Although a small snippet, and as people have pointed out here, anything new from Sun is a blessing!

Thanks ever so much for this Kevin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCBDan

drjohncarpenter

TCBDan on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:15 pm wrote:Great find! Although a small snippet, and as people have pointed out here, anything new from Sun is a blessing!
I meant it when I said it. ;-)

The other Sun acetate topics are also good reading.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter on July 28th, 2018, 8:55 pm wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "Girl Happy," "Fun In Acapulco" and "Viva Las Vegas" on a topic about a rare Sun recording from 1955.
You´re welcome Johnny but you forgot a like! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

svallen
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by svallen »

A vinyl set consisting of 6 vinyl LPs would be great.
FTD can do this by doing it the way they did it with the CD box:The complete Elvis masters.
Make 1000 vinyl boxes with the book that comes with the :Boy from Tupelo set.
Updated with new found songs information.
This would be an great way to do it. :mrgreen: :smt006