Sandi: What Really Happened?

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Sandi: What Really Happened?

Post by Monique »

Tony Trout wrote:And the only reason the book wound up being sleazy is because of Steve Dunleavey being the one who wrote the book, basically - that's what people are missing here! He's the one who should hold the blame for all the mess that book has created over the last thirty-two years.
If it wasn't for Elvis's so called friends he would have had no information to write a book. They betrayed Elvis and he took advantage of it. Btw...I don't buy it that they weren't guilty of the way their fine "tell all stories" were published in the book. They could have and should have stopped that Dunleavey-guy...but they didn't. Instead they even defended the book during the press conference. I really see no extenuating circumstances here.

Always Elvis on my mind

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

They made little $$$$ from the book? They should have hired a good manager! :smt003

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

Of course the book was an embarrassment to Elvis but i think he asked for it.

Not just the firing but the way he did it and then blanked his friends after.

That was a slap-in-the-face to them and i can totally understand why the book was written.

I have a copy of the book and i actually find it an enjoyable read if you ignore the Dunleavy wordings on certain parts there are some great moments in the book and what Elvis got upto is nothing compared to what other high-profile celebs did.

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

It's not what Elvis did, it's the fact what he did in private with what he thought were friends is spilled into the open what bothers people. I could not care less if he took all drugs available by the dozens, ripped the clothes off every woman he met, shot every TV he saw, or all light bulbs in the swimming pool, whatever.
If you tell others about what happened in private, you are no friend. Period.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

Luuk wrote:It's not what Elvis did, it's the fact what he did in private with what he thought were friends is spilled into the open what bothers people. I could not care less if he took all drugs available by the dozens, ripped the clothes off every woman he met, shot every TV he saw, or all light bulbs in the swimming pool, whatever.
If you tell others about what happened in private, you are no friend. Period.
So what do you think about Priscilla then?

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

Lonely Summer wrote:Nobody asked me, but I hated Priscilla's book.
The film was worse.

At least Red and Sonny didnt make a film from the book and they did the book while Elvis was still alive, that makes a big difference.

Monique

Post by Monique »

lvs4evr wrote:i believe that ELVIS now saw through these so called friends greed , especially when sonny demanded that his wife and son be flown out to him on ELVIS dime, maybe vernon finally convinced ELVIS with all the lawsuits and the greed that he was being taken advantage of and that he outgrew these so called friends. Over the years he probably questioned his security force[how many times did they get in scuffules over petty situations],after all these guys were not trained profesionals and i'm sure they were able to get their asses kicked . If they really wrote the book to help him and the drug culture , it should have bin done in early 72 , when the slide was becomming more evident and the bottom line is no one is expendable [no employee is guaranteed employment for life just look at GM workers] and they should have counted there kucky stars that they got to know ELVIS AARON PRESLEY and enjoyed the perks that came with working for him- it seems after their dismissell no one in the entertainment field would touch them. ELVIS owed them nothing except their pay of which he gave them and i and many were glad that they were gone , they were horrible to many of the fans who wanted to take a photo just ask some of the ol photogs that are still around, in his latest book sonny still blames all for his dismisell and does not realise that maybe sometime through the years E.P. just got tired of them, and had it in him to finally fire them for good.
Could you please be more specific?

Always Elvis on my mind

Monique

Post by Monique »

Oh, okay.

Always Elvis on my mind

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

lvs4evr wrote:i believe that ELVIS now saw through these so called friends greed , especially when sonny demanded that his wife and son be flown out to him on ELVIS dime, maybe vernon finally convinced ELVIS with all the lawsuits and the greed that he was being taken advantage of and that he outgrew these so called friends. Over the years he probably questioned his security force[how many times did they get in scuffules over petty situations],after all these guys were not trained profesionals and i'm sure they were able to get their asses kicked . If they really wrote the book to help him and the drug culture , it should have bin done in early 72 , when the slide was becomming more evident and the bottom line is no one is expendable [no employee is guaranteed employment for life just look at GM workers] and they should have counted there kucky stars that they got to know ELVIS AARON PRESLEY and enjoyed the perks that came with working for him- it seems after their dismissell no one in the entertainment field would touch them. ELVIS owed them nothing except their pay of which he gave them and i and many were glad that they were gone , they were horrible to many of the fans who wanted to take a photo just ask some of the ol photogs that are still around, in his latest book sonny still blames all for his dismisell and does not realise that maybe sometime through the years E.P. just got tired of them, and had it in him to finally fire them for good.
You sound like you were there, you know nothing.

Lets remember, Elvis quite often pulled a gun on most people who upset him, nearly killing his Dad and Dr Nick once and also nearly shot Linda Thompson another time.

There was once when Elvis was so 'out of it' that he left a loaded gun on the floor and Linda caught Lisa playing with it.

Elvis was a walking timebomb for most the the 70's so you have absolutely no idea what living with Elvis was like back then and as great as it was im sure they were all walking on egg shells most of the time and as far as the bodyguards over-reacting, that is what Elvis wanted, some fans went to extreme measures to get near Elvis.
Its also a known fact that Elvis was gonna re-hire them so your theory that Elvis got tired of them shows how much you know.

I suggest you do more homework.

xmascarrol
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Mood:

Post by xmascarrol »

I haven't read the book and i didnt think i would want to but, i feel b4 i can comment and give my opinion i should read the book so me thinks amazon here i come lol.

he maybe gone but never forgotten.

shawn
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by shawn »

xmascarrol wrote:I haven't read the book and i didnt think i would want to but, i feel b4 i can comment and give my opinion i should read the book so me thinks amazon here i come lol.
I finally read it. Not as "explosive" as it probably was in 1977. Never saw anything in it as to their excuse that it was "to help Elvis" anywhere though. As Red admitted, it was for the money. They were broke & without a job.
As a "friend" ,I would never have written it . All of them took the "drugs" & screwed around with women besides their wives. Most of them admit it now. Think most of them have lived to regret they ever had anything to do with that book.

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Xaykev »

Mike Eder wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Sorry but I still don't think he hated Jews or Blacks. which was claimed in that so called true book. I also think again it's the "we were angels trying to help him" syndrome. That's a laugh. There were things in the book that had truth to them, but Dunleavy took out most of the humanity. I mean it's claimed that Red was a big reason Elvis was succesful as an artist. Leaving out the lawsuits they caused was a big ommission, nope it was not a fair book. Elvis fired them, maybe because he didn't like what they (allegedly) were telling him, but maybe he didn't like being sued either. He did it in a cowardly fashion but I am convinced Red and Sonny would have been back by the end of 1976 had no book been writen. I have said before that Red may have been confident to confront Elvis, but Dave and Sonny (and Lamar, and Marty etc etc.) wouldn't have had the nerve.
Is it written in the book that Elvis hated blacks and jews?
Page 302 and 313.
I have read it now, and to me they do not describe Elvis as a racist. Just because he is mad and going grazy since the Sweets left the stage doesn't mean he was racist. The same with the Jews. He had many friends that were jews. That Elvis had the opinion that the jews as a group would take over the world, ist that the reason you call him a racist? And how can you say that the book describes him as a person who hates blacks and jews??

I miss you, Elvis!

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Xaykev wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Sorry but I still don't think he hated Jews or Blacks. which was claimed in that so called true book. I also think again it's the "we were angels trying to help him" syndrome. That's a laugh. There were things in the book that had truth to them, but Dunleavy took out most of the humanity. I mean it's claimed that Red was a big reason Elvis was succesful as an artist. Leaving out the lawsuits they caused was a big ommission, nope it was not a fair book. Elvis fired them, maybe because he didn't like what they (allegedly) were telling him, but maybe he didn't like being sued either. He did it in a cowardly fashion but I am convinced Red and Sonny would have been back by the end of 1976 had no book been writen. I have said before that Red may have been confident to confront Elvis, but Dave and Sonny (and Lamar, and Marty etc etc.) wouldn't have had the nerve.
Page 302 and 313.
I have read it now, and to me they do not describe Elvis as a racist. Just because he is mad and going grazy since the Sweets left the stage doesn't mean he was racist. The same with the Jews. He had many friends that were jews. That Elvis had the opinion that the jews as a group would take over the world, ist that the reason you call him a racist? And how can you say that the book describes him as a person who hates blacks and jews??
Thinking Jews are going to take over the world is anti semetic to the extreme. Being Jewish myself I don't think I'm out of line in saying that. I would love to read or hear their interviews without Dunleavy's obvious attempt to make Elvis look as bad as possible. In any case it still is astounding to me that they would let that be in the book. and it's really the only thing I take issue with. I don't like how many of the stories are told in there, but most seem to have happened in some form or another. Yet I am still firmly convinced that Elvis did not have ill will about any different races or faiths.

Mike Eder

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by rjm »

Mike Eder wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Page 302 and 313.
Thinking Jews are going to take over the world is anti semetic to the extreme. Being Jewish myself I don't think I'm out of line in saying that. I would love to read or hear their interviews without Dunleavy's obvious attempt to make Elvis look as bad as possible. In any case it still is astounding to me that they would let that be in the book. and it's really the only thing I take issue with. I don't like how many of the stories are told in there, but most seem to have happened in some form or another. Yet I am still firmly convinced that Elvis did not have ill will about any different races or faiths.
You and me, both, Mike. I was stunned to hear that this person who was recently seen ALIVE, wearing a Chi around his neck, prominently, was charged with this!!! I read this in "The Corner," at 'bama, a little-big store right near Tutwiler, with a large book and magazine rack. They let me read whatever I wanted, because I was a real good customer. I turned purple! That, and the bit about the incident in the car after he got p.o.'d at the ladies - ALL the ladies, and it started with Kathy. It was a chick-thing, not a race thing. As for his remarks, they could be taken as personally directed at them, or he just hated fish. A little bit of both. But in the car, they say he used the n-word, and I haven't read that anywhere else, by anyone else. Ever.

Yes, I've always found that disturbing, and when Sonny has alleged that Dunleavy took liberties, I figure this is what he's talking about. I mean, when you think about it, it's absurd.

Go back to the Star of David on his mother's grave. (Won't speak of controversies related to that . . . but there it is.) Someone worried about "worldwide Jewish conspiracies" would NOT DO THIS! It's absurd: makes no sense.

Go back further, and you have Janette Fruchter's interviews about the "nice boy" she knew, who was their "Shabas Goy."

Go a little further ahead, and he's friends with George Klein, and "Hog Ears," Alan Fortas, who was the late Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas's nephew. They are Jewish. Larry Geller, Jewish. Marty Lacker, Jewish. Lamar Fike? Jewish! (They said "depending on what day it is," but that was teasing). Patty Parry, Jewish. Not a small percentage, and I know I must be missing some!

So, this is really "out there." Oh, and "they" mention Catholics. As we know, Priscilla went to a Catholic high school, and I think her adoptive father is Catholic. As is Joe Esposito, and Jerry Schilling. (Some people think he's Jewish, but he's said he's Catholic. His mother died as a baby. Maybe he's half and half . . .).

So you have the Wests, who are Protestant, and Charlie. I don't know what Richard Davis was. (Does anyone know?)

Elvis's great-grandma? Apparently: Jewish. (I don't want to get into that, because people just argue.) If the maternal line is straight back to a Jewish woman, you are Jewish according to Talmudic Law. So if Great-Grandma was Jewish, Elvis? Jewish.

Did he say these things? Well, who did he say them in front of? That Catholics were "demonic," in front of Joe and Jerry? That Jews were in a worldwide conspiracy, in front of George, or Alan, or Larry, or Lamar, or Marty, or Patty? Sounds ridiculous, don't it?

Did he really say the n-word after the blow-up with the sweets, or did Dunleavy add a little spice to that? In Hopkins, you'll find the story of the temp gardener who said the n-word to Elvis when his temp job was up, and the black guy came back. Elvis decked him.

Did they say how he stuck up for the Sweets in Houston, when they told him "leave the black girls home," and he told 'em he wouldn't perform without them? No, they didn't. But they or Dunleavy, said what was said. So, I'm still steamed, and want to know who said what. Who wrote what?

So, disturbing, but not logical, either.

I doubt there are tapes. Murdoch tapes what he wants, and leaves the rest to one's imagination. That's his way, going back, and going forward. Do you really want to put all your stock in a Murdoch low-life tabloid writer like Dunleavy?

Did ANY of the others, ANYWHERE, ever say this? Anywhere else? So, I'll risk high blood pressure, and take this sensationalism with a grain of salt. Dunleavy did not know that all these Jews and Catholics surrounded him! So, he fell back on cliches. The Wests got paid up front, as I understand it, for their interviews. And then he wrote it up.
"You take what you need, and you leave the rest. But they should never have taken the very best."
rjm
Last edited by rjm on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

rjm

Post by rjm »

Does anybody have anything to add? (Yes, I'm trying to push this to the top of the list,) because it's been 35 years, and NO ONE HAS DISCUSSED IT!!

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

zolderopruiming1

Post by zolderopruiming1 »

rjm wrote:Does anybody have anything to add? (Yes, I'm trying to push this to the top of the list,) because it's been 35 years, and NO ONE HAS DISCUSSED IT!!

rjm
Perhaps because we don't care about former employees saying something that may have happened once in a rage.
Doesn't anybody say stupid things in a rage?
Also it is their words, not a fact.

rjm

Post by rjm »

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
rjm wrote:<snip>
Perhaps because we don't care about former employees saying something that may have happened once in a rage.
Doesn't anybody say stupid things in a rage?
Also it is their words, not a fact.
Has it "become" a "fact"? Because no one has disputed it, or corroborated it. No one wants to address it!

"Money doesn't talk; it swears." THEY were the ones in a rage. And Dunleavy just wanted a real good payday: he was paid to DELIVER, and NOT to make Elvis a sympathetic figure at all. This was intended, by Murdoch's company, to destroy Elvis Presley. He hated rock music; there's a history there. No one wanted to listen to Chet Flippo: he was talking about the tabloid organization, and Murdoch, not the Wests. And no one wants to stand up for Chet Flippo, who called out Murdoch on Elvis, after the recent Murdoch scandals. (No. The book didn't "kill" him, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have good points!) And since there is no corroboration whatsover for this: just that book, then THEY SWORE. But it's been on him all these decades, and we know it, and we keep it in!

Just want to end it, with the point that I never did have reason to believe it, and now, NO reason to believe it. THIS is Elvis Presley. And he will be remembered long after Murdoch is a forgotten nobody.

This was my second or third video, that I ever made. It's not sophisticated. It's how I feel, and I know it to be true. This is Elvis Presley.

(UPDATE: if anyone see this, this is the video I pulled down, because of an accusation by "The Smithsonian Channel" that I took the last part from a "Full Episode" from them! I don't even get that channel. Off-topic -- sorry. But since it was essentially unlisted, and couldn't be found through a YouTube search by the public, I tore it down. In fury. {Happens to me, sometimes.} Sorry for the off-topic update, but that's what happened. I forgot that it was on here. I could have just unlisted it myself, but I was burning.)

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aeschylus

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

rjm wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Page 302 and 313.
You and me, both, Mike. I was stunned to hear that this person who was recently seen ALIVE, wearing a Chi around his neck, prominently, was charged with this!!! I read this in "The Corner," at 'bama, a little-big store right near Tutwiler, with a large book and magazine rack. They let me read whatever I wanted, because I was a real good customer. I turned purple! That, and the bit about the incident in the car after he got p.o.'d at the ladies - ALL the ladies, and it started with Kathy. It was a chick-thing, not a race thing. As for his remarks, they could be taken as personally directed at them, or he just hated fish. A little bit of both. But in the car, they say he used the n-word, and I haven't read that anywhere else, by anyone else. Ever.

Yes, I've always found that disturbing, and when Sonny has alleged that Dunleavy took liberties, I figure this is what he's talking about. I mean, when you think about it, it's absurd.

Go back to the Star of David on his mother's grave. (Won't speak of controversies related to that . . . but there it is.) Someone worried about "worldwide Jewish conspiracies" would NOT DO THIS! It's absurd: makes no sense.

Go back further, and you have Janette Fruchter's interviews about the "nice boy" she knew, who was their "Shabas Goy."

Go a little further ahead, and he's friends with George Klein, and "Hog Ears," Alan Fortas, who was the late Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas's nephew. They are Jewish. Larry Geller, Jewish. Marty Lacker, Jewish. Lamar Fike? Jewish! (They said "depending on what day it is," but that was teasing). Patty Parry, Jewish. Not a small percentage, and I know I must be missing some!

So, this is really "out there." Oh, and "they" mention Catholics. As we know, Priscilla went to a Catholic high school, and I think her adoptive father is Catholic. As is Joe Esposito, and Jerry Schilling. (Some people think he's Jewish, but he's said he's Catholic. His mother died as a baby. Maybe he's half and half . . .).

So you have the Wests, who are Protestant, and Charlie. I don't know what Richard Davis was. (Does anyone know?)

Elvis's great-grandma? Apparently: Jewish. (I don't want to get into that, because people just argue.) If the maternal line is straight back to a Jewish woman, you are Jewish according to Talmudic Law. So if Great-Grandma was Jewish, Elvis? Jewish.

Did he say these things? Well, who did he say them in front of? That Catholics were "demonic," in front of Joe and Jerry? That Jews were in a worldwide conspiracy, in front of George, or Alan, or Larry, or Lamar, or Marty, or Patty? Sounds ridiculous, don't it?

Did he really say the n-word after the blow-up with the sweets, or did Dunleavy add a little spice to that? In Hopkins, you'll find the story of the temp gardener who said the n-word to Elvis when his temp job was up, and the black guy came back. Elvis decked him.

Did they say how he stuck up for the Sweets in Houston, when they told him "leave the black girls home," and he told 'em he wouldn't perform without them? No, they didn't. But they or Dunleavy, said what was said. So, I'm still steamed, and want to know who said what. Who wrote what?

So, disturbing, but not logical, either.

I doubt there are tapes. Murdoch tapes what he wants, and leaves the rest to one's imagination. That's his way, going back, and going forward. Do you really want to put all your stock in a Murdoch low-life tabloid writer like Dunleavy?

Did ANY of the others, ANYWHERE, ever say this? Anywhere else? So, I'll risk high blood pressure, and take this sensationalism with a grain of salt. Dunleavy did not know that all these Jews and Catholics surrounded him! So, he fell back on cliches. The Wests got paid up front, as I understand it, for their interviews. And then he wrote it up.
"You take what you need, and you leave the rest. But they should never have taken the very best."
rjm
Thanks for this excellent post.

Mike Eder