... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...

Post by luckyjackson1 »

To get this straight: the Masters I listened to so far on my box set, almost all sound FANTASTIC, AMAZING!!!

Later on I will probably share some (mostly positive!) comments I made on various tracks. Since I only listened to nine discs plus the rarities CD's, this is going to take some more time.

And here's the big(gest) minus on the whole Monster Box:

Compared to the other 27 CD's the "Rarities"
(Discs 28 to 30) sound flat and lifeless to my ears.

Here are some comments on some (nit-)picked tracks:

The alternate master of “King Creole” sounds way better on the recent “King Creole”-FTD.

The movie version of “Can’t Help Falling In Love” sounds like it’s been taken from the ’97 BMG-CD of “Blue Hawaii”...

The Single Version of “I’m Yours” is probably taken from a vinyl source. I can't confirm this. The ending is still unrepaired.

“King Of The Whole Wide World” (Take 31) sounds unbelievable flat!

“One Broken Heart For Sale” (Movie Version) is way too loud and therefore clipped throughout!!! What the…???

The beginning of the track with the duet version of “Today, Tomorrow And Forever” is one of the most amateurish jobs I’ve ever heard! It can not be that hard to do a decent fade-in...?

“I’m A Roustabout” sounds slightly better than on “Second To None” but still not as good as it can.

The overdubbed version of “Tomorrow Night” still has the first note clipped and sounds terrible throughout - the right channel sounds like there’s a constant drop-out, like it’s been taken from a worn-out tape source!

“It Hurts Me” and “Let Yourself Go” are the same splices as on “A Legendary Performer, Vol. 3” but sound kinda flat.

“A Hundred Years From Now” sounds as bad as on the 70’s box (and is the same splice).

“Amazing Grace” (Take 2) might sound slightly better as on the 70’s box but I’m not too sure, as the overall sound quality is quite bad. Could be the same though.

Of course, “Lady Madonna” is the same edit as on the 70’s box.

“I Shall Be Released” has the same (deleted - see guideline #2) mastering as on the 70’s box.

“She Thinks I Still Care” (Take 2B) still has the computer echo and the early fade - so it sounds exactly the same as on the 70’s box (and imo even worse)!

“Tweedle Dee” and “Maybellene” sound inferior, worse than before! To my ears it even sounded better on the 50’s box!
They probably made it sound worse here so it can sound better on the upcoming SUN Project…

“My Happiness” sounds (deleted - see guideline #2), as it’s clipped!!!
Actually all of the SUN Demos sound real crappy.

Conclusion: They probably did nothing but put them together from previous releases, with the same obsolete, (deleted - see guideline #2) mastering.
I just wonder what Lene did, even the loudness varies from track to track!

From my point of view, Discs 28 to 30 are completely use- and worthless.
Even if they would have included “My Way” from Rapid City, it wouldn’t have sounded better than on the recent “Elvis In Concert”-CD. :(

Sorry to say this but I got the feeling that those discs are only some kind of "throwaway" bonus and probably NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON who ordered and owns the box, needs them.

Just my opinion. Enough bitchin' for today. Good night.
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Re: ... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...

Post by TCB-FAN »

Honesty is always good (and very informative). Thanks for sharing. :smt006

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

scottngeorgia
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by scottngeorgia »

already negative stuff about a big major purchase oh what a Bummer!

SNG ::rocks

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

luckyjackson thanks for having the balls to start a thread. But don't forget that the concept of the Complete Masters was in the main "Masters released in Elvis' lifetime". So with the bonus rarities discs it is hardly surprising to read that the same care and dedication was not given. What's "Follow That Dream" like ? Is it the original mono master ? If so what does it sound like ?

Claus

Post by Claus »

Could you upload a few samples?

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Dan_T »

IIRC, Sony stated from the start that the rarities would not be remastered, but they shouldn't sound worse than previous releases.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Robt wrote:What's "Follow That Dream" like ? Is it the original mono master ? If so what does it sound like ?
Robt, glad to see you found my new thread. No offense taken, o.k.?
To answer your question: Yes, it is the MONO master, just like all the other songs from the "Follow That Dream"-Soundtrack, except "Angel".
The sound is still not really good but I think it never sounded better than on this release here.
Claus wrote:Could you upload a few samples?
Claus, would you believe me when I tell you that I don't know how to do it here? It's probably not too hard to do, right?
So if somebody please could help me, I'll see what I can do.
Dan_T wrote:IIRC, Sony stated from the start that the rarities would not be remastered, but they shouldn't sound worse than previous releases.
Dan, I didn't know that. It's new to me. Of course then it's really no surprise. Missed opportunity imo.

Gotta go now really, it's 3:10 a.m. over here!

Cheers! :smt006

For a little company
There's always me

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

I highly doubt the last 3 discs sound flat and lifeless.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

midnightx wrote:I highly doubt the last 3 discs sound flat and lifeless.
Hi, I just rephrased my first message.

Good night.

For a little company
There's always me

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Lucky,

Sadly, I agree with you. The only stinkers on the box set are the last three discs of "rarities." So, the first 27 discs are basically the same masters as on the "Franklin Mint" set (some extras). The extra $350 was for the book and the packaging (and the last three discs). If it's "sound" you are most interested in, save yourself some serious money and buy the "Franklin Mint" set.

MT

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

A missed opportunity. The packaging and hardcover book are window dressing if sound quality is not there. Kudos for getting Anesini to master discs 1-27. Yet, inexplicably, the powers that be were happy to allow Lene Reidel to master 3 discs (28-30) in a box set whose major marketing differentiator is sound quality. What a strange decision to bring Lene Reidel into this box set at all.

So for $350 more than the Franklin set, you get 3 discs of crappy sounding Lene Reidel masterings? Plus the masters in chronological order and a hardcover book.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Interesting. Thank you, gents.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Interesting. Thank you, gents.
hmmm i figured you would pop up! you're one of the good guys but man... try working on being a bit more subtle next time. i dont see u anywhere else in the Complete Masters discussion except surprise... here! amazing! :roll:

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Was Lene really brought into mastering this set? Highly improbable.

Surely these are just the mastering she previously did for FTD releases.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Move Over Miss L.... :lol:

Is there anything that this poor lady has ever got right ?!??

Jeez friends , It's not the end of the world, come on :roll: .

luckyjackson, start up another thread in due time of what you feel are the positives.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

"And the worst part about the SONY BOX is ..."

Me not owning one! :cry:

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

luckyjackson1 wrote:To get this straight: the Masters I listened to so far on my box set, almost all sound FANTASTIC, AMAZING!!!

Later on I will probably share some (mostly positive!) comments I made on various tracks. Since I only listened to nine discs plus the rarities CD's, this is going to take some more time.

And here's the big(gest) minus on the whole Monster Box:

Compared to the other 27 CD's the "Rarities"
(Discs 28 to 30) sound flat and lifeless to my ears.

Here are some comments on some (nit-)picked tracks:

The alternate master of “King Creole” sounds way better on the recent “King Creole”-FTD.

The movie version of “Can’t Help Falling In Love” sounds like it’s been taken from the ’97 BMG-CD of “Blue Hawaii”...

The Single Version of “I’m Yours” is probably taken from a vinyl source. I can't confirm this. The ending is still unrepaired.

“King Of The Whole Wide World” (Take 31) sounds unbelievable flat!

“One Broken Heart For Sale” (Movie Version) is way too loud and therefore clipped throughout!!! What the…???

The beginning of the track with the duet version of “Today, Tomorrow And Forever” is one of the most amateurish jobs I’ve ever heard! It can not be that hard to do a decent fade-in...?

“I’m A Roustabout” sounds slightly better than on “Second To None” but still not as good as it can.

The overdubbed version of “Tomorrow Night” still has the first note clipped and sounds terrible throughout - the right channel sounds like there’s a constant drop-out, like it’s been taken from a worn-out tape source!

“It Hurts Me” and “Let Yourself Go” are the same splices as on “A Legendary Performer, Vol. 3” but sound kinda flat.

“A Hundred Years From Now” sounds as bad as on the 70’s box (and is the same splice).

“Amazing Grace” (Take 2) might sound slightly better as on the 70’s box but I’m not too sure, as the overall sound quality is quite bad. Could be the same though.

Of course, “Lady Madonna” is the same edit as on the 70’s box.

“I Shall Be Released” has the same (deleted - see guideline #2) mastering as on the 70’s box.

“She Thinks I Still Care” (Take 2B) still has the computer echo and the early fade - so it sounds exactly the same as on the 70’s box (and imo even worse)!

“Tweedle Dee” and “Maybellene” sound inferior, worse than before! To my ears it even sounded better on the 50’s box!
They probably made it sound worse here so it can sound better on the upcoming SUN Project…

“My Happiness” sounds (deleted - see guideline #2), as it’s clipped!!!
Actually all of the SUN Demos sound real crappy.

Conclusion: They probably did nothing but put them together from previous releases, with the same obsolete, (deleted - see guideline #2) mastering.
I just wonder what Lene did, even the loudness varies from track to track!

From my point of view, Discs 28 to 30 are completely use- and worthless.
Even if they would have included “My Way” from Rapid City, it wouldn’t have sounded better than on the recent “Elvis In Concert”-CD. :(

Sorry to say this but I got the feeling that those discs are only some kind of "throwaway" bonus and probably NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON who ordered and owns the box, needs them.

Just my opinion. Enough bitchin' for today. Good night.
That's why I didn't buy the box.... :D

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

MysteryTrain wrote:Lucky,

Sadly, I agree with you. The only stinkers on the box set are the last three discs of "rarities." So, the first 27 discs are basically the same masters as on the "Franklin Mint" set (some extras). The extra $350 was for the book and the packaging (and the last three discs). If it's "sound" you are most interested in, save yourself some serious money and buy the "Franklin Mint" set.

MT
Hi MT, that was exactly what I thought.

There's one more question: what about the songs that are neither included in the last three discs, nor on the Franklin Mint set?
Just one example: "Plantation Rock" sounds kinda flat to me, compared to "I Don't Wanna Be Tied". Just a thought.

But what the heck, I missed the Franklin Mint Set and now I own this beautiful box with the lovely looking CD's with pictures from vintage studio equipment... :roll:

Should've known it in the first place though.
It's not that I'm completely unsatisfied or disappointed or unhappy with it, I was just hoping that the "rarities" would have also been remastered top-notch. Well, some of the "rarities" we already own on recent FTD's in better sound quality, so there's always a reason to go on buying them...

For a little company
There's always me

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Here are two examples of how well the "rarities" have been treated:
My Happiness Waveform.jpg
One Broken Heart For Sale (Movie Version) Waveform.jpg
Now if somebody please could help and tell me how to upload sound samples, I would gladly like to do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For a little company
There's always me

Gabriel
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Gabriel »

I never intented to buy it and i never understood those fans who re-buy the same material over and over again. Sometimes you can't avoid duplication but it's not the case here.

blue boy
Registered for: 20 years

Post by blue boy »

I bought it to get rid of all the old albums cd's I had for ages like promised land bought in the early 90's.Also the 50 60 70, boxset goes out the door togheter with the three cd collectors gold. What stays is FTD classic albums and some bootlegs.
The biggest part of my old collection are on sale as far as bad sounding bootlegs ordinary cd's goes.
Now I got everything is in one place when it comes to the masters.

It is a wonderful investment and Im shure if you would like to sell it you get your money back

Claus

Post by Claus »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Here are two examples of how well the "rarities" have been treated:
Now if somebody please could help and tell me how to upload sound samples, I would gladly like to do it.
Here is the My Happiness waveform from the Elvis 75 set. Looks quite identical to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gabriel
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Gabriel »

blue boy wrote:I bought it to get rid of all the old albums cd's I had for ages like promised land bought in the early 90's.
I won't sell those old CD's from the early 90's. Though the sound is bad (flat and hissy) on most of them and i almost never listening to them but but they bring back memories... When i was a student and there was no internet and those CD's were my only connection to Elvis. And anytime i had some pocket-money i spent it on those CD's instead of other stuff a "normal" teenager buys.
They don't have real value now. How much do you get for a such CD? Maybe $5 or $10.

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="luckyjackson1"]Here are two examples of how well the "rarities" have been treated:
quote]

What do these pictures indicate? Can you translate please?!

Claus

Post by Claus »

They indicate the loudness of the tracks.