Elvis In The Beat of The Night.

Post Here All Reviews Of Books/Magazines

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Elvis In The Beat of The Night.

Post by Little Darlin »

This Heartwarming Book is Written by Retired Police Captain Bob Ferguson, who was incidentally interviewed by Peter Guralnick for his Award winning Book Last Train to Memphis. Ferguson, after Elvis's death, had gone round the different Fire and Police Houses and Videotaped Interviews ( used by Guralnick for His Book ) with some of the crew that had been lucky enough to have Elvis ''work'' with them on their shifts, and it's Their stories the Author is telling.

The Book is a short one at only 158 Pages Long but once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. It starts off with a very young Elvis stopping off at His local Fire Station on a Saturday Afternoon on his way to the local Record Shop and finishes with the Officers recalling August 16th 1977 and after the Viewing of Elvis's Body at Graceland.

I don't want to spoil the Book for Anyone thinking of getting it but, I just wanted to tell in My words the Author's own Story regarding Elvis. Ferguson's Partner was a Friend of Elvis's who had gone to School with Him at Humes and they had kept in touch. When they were on duty they would stop by the Memphian Theatre where Elvis was having one of His all night Parties. He was amazed at how Elvis would leave his group of Friends and go over to , talk with them, only going back reluctantly, but not before asking what calls they had received through the night......he was always inquisitive about Police work. He would always invite the Guys up to Graceland but they never took the opportunity. Maybe it was because they didn't want anything from Him, that He was able to feel like one of them...be one of the ''Guys'' and open up to them. I want to thank them for that because it means Elvis got a great deal of enjoyment from it and that's a good thing.

There isn't any rare photo's as such ...only of the Officers and Buildings mentioned in the Book but there is a Photo of a Special Order that was given out once a Week.The one given out on the 26th August 1977 said...

Name........Presley E.
Rank.........Honory Reserve Capt. Reserves. Deceased.

I have posted the front cover photo in the Picture Section.
Last edited by Little Darlin on Fri May 11, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Cool review Carol - got me intrigued and sounds like a "must have" for me!
Thanks very much, would never have heard of this without you! :)

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

I think I will get it, thanks LD!

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Just got my copy of this book this morning - it is "unputdownable"

Many thanks Carol for bringing it to my (our) attention. :)

Topic author
Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Elvis_Priestly wrote:Just got my copy of this book this morning - it is "unputdownable"

Many thanks Carol for bringing it to my (our) attention. :)
Hey Father Conor that's Cool!!

Hope Your Dad likes it too.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by karlos »

cool review - Carol.- really loved reading it - :wink:

DustinReichelt
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Elvis In The Beat of The Night.

Post by DustinReichelt »

Good review Carol. Btw where can we get this book? I've looked in all the bookshops in town and can't find it. I'm in England.
Last edited by DustinReichelt on Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

I can't get it either as the website for it closed.

Mike Eder

jonny8books
Registered for: 13 years

Post by jonny8books »

Amazon & Biblio have copies to be found:
http://www.biblio.com/books/400521159.html

The Swamp Fox
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by The Swamp Fox »

LEX TALIONIS

STAY FROSTY, STAY STRAPPED, AND STAY DANGEROUS!

WEAK MEN CREATE HARD TIMES