SANDI : LAST DAYS OF 1977

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

SANDI : LAST DAYS OF 1977

Post by Elvis A. Presley »

Hi everybody and specially to Sandi, which I'd like to make a question.
Every true Elvis' fan know that there's a kind of a hole in Elvis' life since June 26 1977 to August 16th 1977.
Many books tell us that in those 50 days, Elvis spent most of those inside Graceland (bedroom) and in some books I read somewhere that i would do anything else that walking in his blue pigiama ( in italiano which I guess is "pajama" in English ).
You always said you RARELY went to Graceland so I don't think you can answer the question.
So as far as you know, do you really think things went that way ?
I mean, is it true that Elvis ( except for the visit to the dentist on August 15 ) in those 50 days NEVER left Graceland ?
If there's an asnwer good ... if you don't have the answer is ok anyway.
Thank you !
Roberto - Milano - Italia

Luuk

Re: SANDI : LAST DAYS OF 1977

Post by Luuk »

In July Lisa Marie was with Elvis, first week of August Elvis spent some time in Las Vegas, August 8 Elvis rented LIbertyland, August 9 Elvis went shopping after hours at South Lake Mall, August 13 Elvis, Lisa, Ginger, Billy & Jo Smith went to see the midnight movies, August 15 Elvis went to see the dentist.

source: All shook up, Elvis day-by-day pages 392 and 393

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

He also supposedly drove to Tupelo during July

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley

Thanks Luuk and rickeap for your answer.
If I had the book, I would have known that :D
By the way, there are some pics here on this site, showing Elvis driving some motorcycle with LIsa between him and Ginger.
And in those pics Elvis looks absolutely great.
Another question is : if Elvis was so "stoned" on drugs, HOW could he drive a motorcycle ?
I just can't think of Elvis being "stoned" 24/7, every single day.
Elvis CLEARLY had drugs problems and he clearly made a big abuse onb those...
But in those pics he looked simply great ( If I find the link of the pics I will publish them ) and clearly doesn't look like in Omaha 2 months before.

Johnny 99
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Johnny 99 »

Spent time in Vegas? Interesting, never heard that before!

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

Elvis A. Presley wrote:Thanks Luuk and rickeap for your answer.
By the way, there are some pics here on this site, showing Elvis driving some motorcycle with LIsa between him and Ginger.
Another question is : if Elvis was so "stoned" on drugs, HOW could he drive a motorcycle ?
But in those pics he looked simply great ( If I find the link of the pics I will publish them ) and clearly doesn't look like in Omaha 2 months before.

This is a good point. As Ginger has been quoted as saying, Elvis' drug problem has been exagaerrated.
While it was clear he used too many medications, it is also true that he could still function enough to drive cars/motorbikes right up to the day he died

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Elton »

ELvis got out more than most folks knew.
By his own admission he could be a little sneaky when he wanted too!

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

dreambear
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by dreambear »

rickeap wrote:
Elvis A. Presley wrote:Thanks Luuk and rickeap for your answer.

This is a good point. As Ginger has been quoted as saying, Elvis' drug problem has been exagaerrated.
While it was clear he used too many medications, it is also true that he could still function enough to drive cars/motorbikes right up to the day he died
According to Billy Smith (Alana Nash´s books), Elvis wasn´t stoned all the time, but it increased in the 70´s.

//Björn

scottngeorgia
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by scottngeorgia »

I wonder if they ever had to talk him out of driving or riding his Bikes because of his issues, Or was he just smart enough to know that it was soemthing not to do. Ive seen many of pics of him on bikes and driving after 1974. So he couldn't have been out of it all the time.
SNG ::rocks

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Xaykev »

Why should Elvis have been stoned all the time?? Are alcoholics drunk all the time?!

I miss you, Elvis!

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley

Xaykev wrote:Why should Elvis have been stoned all the time?? Are alcoholics drunk all the time?!
Yes, alcoholics are.
You're talking with the son of a woman who was an alcoholic .........

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Xaykev »

Elvis A. Presley wrote:
Xaykev wrote:Why should Elvis have been stoned all the time?? Are alcoholics drunk all the time?!
Yes, alcoholics are.
You're talking with the son of a woman who was an alcoholic .........
First let me say I am sorry to hear that :( I hope you are able to deal with it, and I wish both of you a better future.
I know my share of alcoholics, and that's not my experience. Both of us are probably right, it depends from alcoholic to alcoholic. What I meant to say was that you can be an addict without being stoned/drunk all the time. And I have never believed that Elvis was completely out of it 24/7.

Best regards, Xay.

I miss you, Elvis!

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

If Elvis was under the influence of whatever prescribed medicine he had abused, it did not mean he was "clear" enough to think he should not drive.
How many people are killed each year by people who consumed alcohol and think they are a great driver?
Even being sleepy or having smoked cannabis can influence your reaction-time.

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley

Xay : mom died 9 years ago after 9 years of weelchair.
She had an ictus back in 1991, due to his heavyness on alcohol and smoke ( guess I should stop smoking too )
Don't be sad, sh*t happens !! :)
I am ok with that and I am proud I had a mother like her ....
Roberto

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley

To ScottnGeorgia : There are also pics of Elvis driving his motorcycle in August 1977 with Lisa stucked between him and Ginger ... And in those pics Elvis don't look "hill" or "stoned" at all ....

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley

Sorry, the pics I was talking about where not from August but from April 1977.
Anyway, I like Elvis in these pics ...
He looks absolutely great ......

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/3wheeler0877.html

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Marko »

Luuk wrote:In July Lisa Marie was with Elvis, first week of August Elvis spent some time in Las Vegas, August 8 Elvis rented LIbertyland, August 9 Elvis went shopping after hours at South Lake Mall, August 13 Elvis, Lisa, Ginger, Billy & Jo Smith went to see the midnight movies, August 15 Elvis went to see the dentist.

I wonder if South Lake Mall is correct? There's a Southland Mall close to Graceland which I incidently visited on my last trip to Memphis. It was build in 1966 and they say they are the first inclosed shopping mall in mid-south.

http://www.southlandmallmemphis.com/

South Lake Mall is not mentioned in Wikipedia list of malls but of course it's been over 32 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shopping_malls_in_the_United_States

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

andyr
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by andyr »

This is a subject I've raised before, as there is very little information in any books out there, about what Elvis did in those last weeks. There was an outrageous claim in the book, Writing for the King, that Kal Mann, the writer of Teddy Bear stated that he met Elvis in Freddy Bienstock's office which was in the Brill building in New York around the latter part of July or possibly early August 77.

I also heard that he flew to Vegas during July, but again I have no solid evidence.

Phoenix78
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Phoenix78 »

To be honest, Elvis had to have been a "tank" to have accomplished what he did & function the way he did in that last year! He was tough!

I think he was probably less medicated at home because he didn't need to be up & be "Elvis" every night like when he was on tour. I think he spent A LOT of time in major depression while off the road. But he did curb some of his bad habits when Lisa came to visit. And I also think she took his mind off of a lot of things when she was there meaning he had less time to just sit & think & grab something to feel better. I feel so bad for him sometimes.....

But, as far as the final couple of months, he was almost entirely preoccupied by the imminent release of the body guard book that would be on bookshelves by the start of the August Tour.
He did go out at times like mentioned above. He also went to visit his Mother's grave with flowers by himself a couple of days before he died. (sorry if someone mentioned it already)

"Today's "Science Fiction" is tomorrow's REALITY."
- Myself

moodyblue66
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by moodyblue66 »

Luuk wrote:In July Lisa Marie was with Elvis, first week of August Elvis spent some time in Las Vegas, August 8 Elvis rented LIbertyland, August 9 Elvis went shopping after hours at South Lake Mall, August 13 Elvis, Lisa, Ginger, Billy & Jo Smith went to see the midnight movies, August 15 Elvis went to see the dentist.

I have to wonder if the dentist visit had anything to do with his death. I had an aunt drop dead in the lobby after a dentist visit, though she was apparantly allergic to the novocaine.

Anyone know specifically what he had done at the dentist?

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

LOL , celebs say they're going to the dentist when they're having plastic surgery. In E's case it was prolly pills :|

shawn
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by shawn »

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_lester_hoffman.shtml
Q : Was he in a fun frame of mind, joking around?

A : Oh yes, good frame of mind, good frame of mind, just normal. And when the news broke the day following when he passed away and I heard about the news, I didn't believe it. But as you know it was true.

Q : Did Elvis still not take anesthetics that night?

A : No, it was just a routine visit, a cleaning and a check up, that was all.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by BrianTCB »

shawn on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:20 pm wrote:http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_lester_hoffman.shtml
Q : Was he in a fun frame of mind, joking around?

A : Oh yes, good frame of mind, good frame of mind, just normal. And when the news broke the day following when he passed away and I heard about the news, I didn't believe it. But as you know it was true.

Q : Did Elvis still not take anesthetics that night?

A : No, it was just a routine visit, a cleaning and a check up, that was all.
According to this, Elvis had toxic amounts of codeine in his system when he died, caused by a liver enzyme deficiency which would not have allowed for the codeine to break down sufficiently, leaving toxic amounts of the drug in his system.

I think the dentist is either full of it, doesn't remember, or he's covering himself.

https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/other/brain-injury/elvis-presley-head-trauma-autoimmunity-pain-early-death?page=0,1
Table 2 notes that codeine has a 36 to 1 ratio over morphine. Today, we know that codeine must be converted to morphine to provide pain relief.15,16 Codeine is metabolized by the liver enzyme cytochrome P 450-2D6 (CYP2D6). If this enzyme is defective, the conversion does not proceed as it should, which causes codeine to accumulate to toxic levels in the blood. Toxic accumulation of codeine may cause cardiac arrhythmia, particularly if other drugs are in the serum and the heart is already damaged. If Elvis had normal liver metabolism, his serum level of codeine would have been much lower and his serum level of morphine would have been much higher on the toxicology report.

I believe Elvis must have had a CYP2D6 defect. To support this belief is evidence that Elvis had reacted poorly to codeine in the past and his hospital records state he was "allergic to codeine." Also, Elvis had violent reactions to alcohol. Persons with cytochrome metabolic defects commonly have intolerance to alcohol.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

How many goddamn tablets of the codeine did Elvis consume ?

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

sanQ
Registered for: 12 years

Post by sanQ »

Old topic but it was speculated at one time that David Stanley (if I remember correctly) had switched the codeine pills for some other pills he wanted in one of Elvis' daily pill batches, perhaps being were unaware of Elvis' allergy. When David got back to Graceland from being passed out at the hotel where he shacked up with a girl and discovered that Elvis had died, he shouted out "Oh my God I killed him!" Someone asked him what he meant by that and he downplayed it as though he killed Elvis by not being there on his shift to look after him. So there's that possibility. If Elvis was allergic to codeine, like I am myself, you will never forget the experience...it's like having a massive gut ache. I took one tylenol 3 with codeine one time, and ended up in hospital writhing in pain for hours and hours, feeling like I was going to die. Now imagine being allergic like Elvis and taking 10 times the therapeutic level? If I had taken that much, I definitely would have died. Now add in the other 13 drugs and you have a pretty good recipe for fatality. I think the codeine allergy is probably what did it.