@ Sandi: Elvis' office + being an employer

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
patricia66

@ Sandi: Elvis' office + being an employer

Post by patricia66 »

Sandi, did Elvis have rooms in his Bel Air and LA houses that were used as an office? If yes, how did these rooms look like and were they used only as an office?

Did you ever witness him doing any kind of paper work alone or with the assistance of one of his employees? Would you say he preferred writing notes to instruct his employees or rather tell them directly?

How would you describe his leadership as a boss/employer? Was he more of a laissez-faire kind of boss or a short order kind of guy? Did you witness a difference in dealing with his musicians in comparison to other employees he had? From your perspective, was there any kind of development/difference in dealing with employees in the 60s and the 70s?

Did you ever witness a remark of him being unsatisfied with how a specific situation was handled by one ore several of his employees?

Thanks in advance for giving your thoughts.

Elton

Re: @ Sandi: Elvis' office + being an employer

Post by Elton »

Great questions!

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

debtd1

Post by debtd1 »

Absolutely!!!!

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

Topic author
patricia66

Post by patricia66 »

Thanks. Please feel free to give your thoughts although the questions are addressed to Sandi.

minni1

Post by minni1 »

Here are some pics of his office area, in one of his California homes, Sandi would be able to tell you which one, I think they are her pics, but it's been so long, I'm not sure.

Riverfront Coliseum Cincinnati, Ohio, June 25, 1977

Topic author
patricia66

Post by patricia66 »

Thanks a lot for the wonderful pics, Minni! This office was obviously a combined office/TV/living room kind of thing. With regard to style of furniture and pic with Nixon, the first two photos were taken in the 70s. The desk looks very neat but also leaves no doubt that it's the desk of the BOSS. Would be great, if one could see the things on the desk in more detail. Looks like a folder lies on the desk.

Interesting that he turned the Nixon photo and the award on the left side of the first photo (at least I think it's an award) around so that a visitor sees directly what it is. No doubt - the desk gives the impression (most likely not by chance) that it's owned by a very important and powerful person.

Monique

Post by Monique »

Do I see a box with tissues? How many people have such a box at their desk?

Always Elvis on my mind

Topic author
patricia66

Post by patricia66 »

Surprised me too. At first I wasn't really sure if it is a tissue box. Maybe Sandi can tell us more about this. Having tissue boxes around could be just a random thing or a habit.

minni1

Post by minni1 »

I am not positive, but I think the 2 BW pics MAY be after Elvis' death. I could be wrong though, it seems that maybe a lady named Margaret posted them.
Also, I'm pretty sure they were taken at 144 Monovale, in Holmby Hills, Los Angeles.

Topic author
patricia66

Post by patricia66 »

Okay. If they are taken after August 16, 1977 you can't really conclude anything from the way the things are arranged on the desk. It's more like a showcase then. As far as I know, Elvis sold the Monovale house 1975 to Telly Savalas, right? Was the house then used as a museum later on? Because a regular owner wouldn't leave the desk there - except he is a BIG Elvis fan :mrgreen: .

The 3rd photo seems to be earlier than the first 2. Do you know who the girl on the chair is? Could this be LMP?

Monique

Post by Monique »

It IS LM!

Always Elvis on my mind

minni1

Post by minni1 »

Yes, the little girl IS Lisa.

Topic author
patricia66

Post by patricia66 »

Cute. Looks as if she's having fun :) .

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Sandi, did Elvis have rooms in his Bel Air and LA houses that were used as an office? If yes, how did these rooms look like and were they used only as an office?

**Just in his last two houses that I remember - both Hillcrest and Monovale had offices - the Hillcrest one being basically in the living room. The photo with Lisa is Hillcrest...the B&W Monovale and that painting that is hanging over the fireplace, used to hang over the couch at the Hillcrest house.

Did you ever witness him doing any kind of paper work alone or with the assistance of one of his employees? Would you say he preferred writing notes to instruct his employees or rather tell them directly?

**Never saw him do paperwork per se. He'd make song lists but he'd do that wherever he happened to be - even the kitchen counter. Minor things Elvis just talked to directly to whoever was involved--no memos, no notes or letters - remember these were his friends as well as employees so he'd just give his instructions to them personally. If it was a more complicated issue or something that needed to be corrected or a reprimand...sometimes.that would be left up to Vernon or Joe to handle...it really depended on the situation. IF it had to do with Concerts or such (later on) , sometimes it was left up to the Col. When it came to the domestic help (cooks, maids, nannies) Priscilla or again Joe would handle it...later on, Linda.

How would you describe his leadership as a boss/employer? Was he more of a laissez-faire kind of boss or a short order kind of guy? Did you witness a difference in dealing with his musicians in comparison to other employees he had? From your perspective, was there any kind of development/difference in dealing with employees in the 60s and the 70s?

**Elvis was a perfectionist and he expected the same from everyone around him - DO YOUR JOB and do it when it's suppose to be done and don't pass the buck was the basic rule from what I could see. He could get quite testy if those unspoken rules weren't followed.

What was different about the 60's vs the 70's is that, for most of the 60's decade, involved filming movies (until the 68 Special) which meant it really was kind of a laid back lifestyle. Leave for the studio in the morning, come home between 5 and 6 at night - weekends off. A few trips to the sound studio to do songs or overdubs (or whatever you call them) It was a simple time if you compare it to the Vegas/Concert Tour years of the 70s. That started him on a different schedule which was much harder on him and those around him, - more rehearsals MUCH MUCH more traveling, more isolation in many respects, health issues, more pressures - all that contributed to things not being quite as lighthearted as they used to be . The boys seemed to start jockeying for favoritism (that's the only way I can think to word it) so yes, there was a difference in the air-but it's one that is hard to describe.

Did you ever witness a remark of him being unsatisfied with how a specific situation was handled by one ore several of his employees?

**Oooooh yes.....and he wasn't shy about letting it be known either! He had no problem calling any of them on the carpet for something that was not done or not done correctly!

Thanks in advance for giving your thoughts.

Monique

Post by Monique »

Thank you Sandi, for answering those questions.

There is something I don't understand (since English isn't my first language):

You say that "If it was a more complicated issue or something that needed to be corrected or a reprimand...sometimes.that would be left up to Vernon or Joe to handle...it really depended on the situation."

I understand from this that he'd rather not give reprimands himself.

But you also say that "he wasn't shy about letting it be known either! He had no problem calling any of them on the carpet for something that was not done or not done correctly!"

Did I misinterpret the first sentence? Or maybe the last?

Always Elvis on my mind

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Monique wrote:Thank you Sandi, for answering those questions.

There is something I don't understand (since English isn't my first language):

You say that "If it was a more complicated issue or something that needed to be corrected or a reprimand...sometimes.that would be left up to Vernon or Joe to handle...it really depended on the situation."

I understand from this that he'd rather not give reprimands himself.

But you also say that "he wasn't shy about letting it be known either! He had no problem calling any of them on the carpet for something that was not done or not done correctly!"

Did I misinterpret the first sentence? Or maybe the last?
Both are correct actually-- if it was something minor - like someone forgot to bring a certain guitar or something to a rehearsal - or someone forgot to make a phone call, or pick something up or was late for something...he would address that situation himself. If it was something more serious - like him wanting to fire someone
or not wanting a certain person present for rehearsals or anything--he'd pass that task o to his father or Joe. .

Topic author
patricia66

Post by patricia66 »

Hi Sandi,

Thanks a lot for your great answers! But I still have a couple of more questions
:smt001 .

**Elvis was a perfectionist and he expected the same from everyone around him - DO YOUR JOB and do it when it's suppose to be done and don't pass the buck was the basic rule from what I could see. He could get quite testy if those unspoken rules weren't followed.
Fits his TCB logo, right? Did it happen on a regular basis that he felt his rules weren’t followed? Were there specific persons/employees that had more difficulties to adapt to the rules than others? Did you ever witness that he kept a special eye on someone? Was he patient with newcomers and/or people with difficulties to adapt to his life style? Did he tend to fire people easily (if this was done by himself or through his dad really doesn’t matter that much because I’m quite sure it didn’t happen without his approval)? What do you think was the main thing he was looking for in people who entered his entourage? What was most important? Did this change later on?

What was different about the 60's vs the 70's is that, for most of the 60's decade, involved filming movies (until the 68 Special) which meant it really was kind of a laid back lifestyle. Leave for the studio in the morning, come home between 5 and 6 at night - weekends off. A few trips to the sound studio to do songs or overdubs (or whatever you call them) It was a simple time if you compare it to the Vegas/Concert Tour years of the 70s. That started him on a different schedule which was much harder on him and those around him, - more rehearsals MUCH MUCH more traveling, more isolation in many respects, health issues, more pressures - all that contributed to things not being quite as lighthearted as they used to be . The boys seemed to start jockeying for favoritism (that's the only way I can think to word it) so yes, there was a difference in the air-but it's one that is hard to describe.
What you state about the favoritism I kind of read between the lines in some of the books entourage members have written so far. Was it really due to the change in life style? They thought they deserved more? Or did he kind of support this behaviour by being more generous or by other means in the 70s?Did you witness a growing estrangement in the relationship to long-time employees/entourage members during the 70s? If yes, what do you thing were the main reasons?

**Oooooh yes.....and he wasn't shy about letting it be known either! He had no problem calling any of them on the carpet for something that was not done or not done correctly!
Did you ever get the impression that he lost his temper, was exaggerating or in any sense unfair to those? Were there people who were being “called on the carpet” on a regular basis?

Would be nice to have your thoughts once again

Topic author
patricia66

Post by patricia66 »

DutchLA wrote: Both are correct actually-- if it was something minor - like someone forgot to bring a certain guitar or something to a rehearsal - or someone forgot to make a phone call, or pick something up or was late for something...he would address that situation himself. If it was something more serious - like him wanting to fire someone or not wanting a certain person present for rehearsals or anything--he'd pass that task o to his father or Joe. .
With regard to the rehearsals, did this happen on a regular basis that people were excluded or does this refer to a specific time period?