Sandie: The last time you spoke to Elvis

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
gws
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Sandie: The last time you spoke to Elvis

Post by gws »

When was the last time you spoke, spent time, or was around Elvis?

DutchLA
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Sandie: The last time you spoke to Elvis

Post by DutchLA »

gws wrote:When was the last time you spoke, spent time, or was around Elvis?
The last time I saw Elvis was in Palm Springs in June of 77 - he was there for a turnaround trip (came in one day, left the next) Don't know why he was in town but whatever....he was in a great mood - talked about things he had planned although looking back it was very vague and I didn't bother to ask questions; was just happy to see him all enthused again. He talked about getting back in shape, some changes coming up and a new project.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

I suppose with the book and the CBS special he was finally at some crossroads, perhaps a little pressure to face up to the current situation. I imagine he felt it was a little "in his face".

Hi Sandi, what's your thoughts on my assumption?

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Jim Dandy wrote:I suppose with the book and the CBS special he was finally at some crossroads, perhaps a little pressure to face up to the current situation. I imagine he felt it was a little "in his face".

Hi Sandi, what's your thoughts on my assumption?
I think he just hit bottom - with his health, his career, and with Elvis, it seems he almost had to be at the bottom before he decided to do anything about it and apparently he reached that point.

He said he was going to take 6 months off to get back in shape and get healthy...which is weird because many many years later, when all the the Col.'s stuff was being archived, they found a list of concerts Elvis was set to do for like the next year so I don't know where that 6 months off was going to be worked in and when he mentioned it, it sounded like he was going to be taking off after the very next concert or at least that's how I took it.

ALso, many years later another piece of the puzzle fell into place - The Stamps did a show in Yorba Linda that I attended and I went out to dinner with them all afterwards and JD offered up that Elvis had intended to do a Gospel show with him- go on tour and it had been in the works at the time of his death. So I'm wondering if that was the new project Elvis referred to?

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

Thanks for the reply Sandi. What was it, or why do you think he got into, or allowed himself to get in to such a rut to such an extreme degree? I understand if you don't wish to post your thoughts on this subject. It's probably one of the most contemplated topics among fans, IMO.

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Jim Dandy wrote:Thanks for the reply Sandi. What was it, or why do you think he got into, or allowed himself to get in to such a rut to such an extreme degree? I understand if you don't wish to post your thoughts on this subject. It's probably one of the most contemplated topics among fans, IMO.
My own opinion, which isn't necessarily right, is that he had nothing more to conquer. He liked challenges and there were none left and his creativity was being stiffled. He should have put his foot down, but he didn't and he could have accomplished so much more if he had. I'd like to think that he finally had enough of being told what he could and could not do professionally and finally decided to follow what HE believed in and wanted to do and going on a gospel tour would be something new to him, if that was the plan and I know it's something he would have totally enjoyed.

I vaguely remember the discussion coming up years beforehand only I don't remember if it was Elvis who said it or someone else in the group - but the thinking was that fans would not attend Gospel tours in the numbers they would attend his regular shows...don't know if that was coming from the Col. or if it was just thinking out loud.

Also, whenever he did have a new challenge to meet (68 Special, Opening in Vegas) Aloha, even the concert tours at first - that's when he would get so motivated to get back in shape..because again, it was something new, and a challenge.

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

Hi Sandi, thanks for expressing your opinion. In one respect it is difficult for me to relate to as a normal everyday guy. I don't have the highs (and lows) he experienced, and for me my health is a primary focus. Watching the In Concert footage EP obviously was self conscious, even more so regarding his makeup. However in the pre Rapid City footage when we see him walking from the limo to the dressing room he looks reason ably better. Can you recall if EP basically looked like this in Palm Springs?
It's generally belived Elvis returned from Indianapolis to Memphis on June 26. Could it be possible he went to Palm Springs instead at the end of the tour? It just seems kind of odd based on your comments that he was there for just a two or so days. Would EP fly in to Palm Springs on the Lisa Marie or drive (in those later days)?
I'm very interested because for the last 30 years we've all been lead to believe after the Indy show he return to Memphis and veged out in his room for six weeks.
Thanks Sandi, have a great weekend!

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by joshferrell »

Would a "World Tour" have been a challenge to him or did he consider "aloha" to be as far as he could go ? in other words,in his mind, would a world tour been a step up in the right direction or a step down after aloha?and did he ever discuss with you the whole thing about the colonel not allowing him to tour the world and did he know about him being an illegal immigrant? Thanks.. :D

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

DutchLA wrote:I think he just hit bottom - with his health, his career, and with Elvis, it seems he almost had to be at the bottom before he decided to do anything about it and apparently he reached that point.

He said he was going to take 6 months off to get back in shape and get healthy...which is weird because many many years later, when all the the Col.'s stuff was being archived, they found a list of concerts Elvis was set to do for like the next year so I don't know where that 6 months off was going to be worked in and when he mentioned it, it sounded like he was going to be taking off after the very next concert or at least that's how I took it.

ALso, many years later another piece of the puzzle fell into place - The Stamps did a show in Yorba Linda that I attended and I went out to dinner with them all afterwards and JD offered up that Elvis had intended to do a Gospel show with him- go on tour and it had been in the works at the time of his death. So I'm wondering if that was the new project Elvis referred to?
He (EP) was definitely recapitulating his spiritual searches in earnest that last Summer ('77) - even during his last hours.

That said, nothing was really going to change until his insuperable wall of denial came tumbling down. Unfortunately, it came down on top of him.

.. EP clearly had something he wanted to share.

-----

N8

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

DutchLA wrote:My own opinion, which isn't necessarily right, is that he had nothing more to conquer. He liked challenges and there were none left and his creativity was being stiffled. He should have put his foot down, but he didn't and he could have accomplished so much more if he had.
He couldn't. Any human being within the throes of chronic clinical depression and addiction, simply is unable to fight other battles simultaneously. It is humanly impossible, without help, support, and some will on the part of the sufferer.

-----

N8

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Xaykev »

The one thing we should not forget, is that Elvis drug abuse increased from '69 to '73. In this period Elvis made a comeback in Las Vegas, made 2 TV documentaries, 4 shows in Madison Square Garden and a world wide concert from Hawaii. There certainly was enough career highlights in that period of time.

I miss you, Elvis!

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Xaykev wrote:The one thing we should not forget, is that Elvis drug abuse increased from '69 to '73. In this period Elvis made a comeback in Las Vegas, made 2 TV documentaries, 4 shows in Madison Square Garden and a world wide concert from Hawaii. There certainly was enough career highlights in that period of time.
The spiral was steeper, the wall of denial larger, and EP was no longer at the helm of his addictions post-73; this is also the same time period that his key lifers really earned their keep (the same ones he edged out the door by '76, as his denial continued to exert more and more control, eventually enveloping him completely). The "medications" controlled him and his depression worsened from '73 onward. 1973 was a pivotal year (as was '76) . . . and not in a good way.
elvis-last-photo-1.jpg

-----

N8

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

N880EP wrote:
DutchLA wrote:My own opinion, which isn't necessarily right, is that he had nothing more to conquer. He liked challenges and there were none left and his creativity was being stiffled. He should have put his foot down, but he didn't and he could have accomplished so much more if he had.
He couldn't. Any human being within the throes of chronic clinical depression and addiction, simply is unable to fight other battles simultaneously. It is humanly impossible, without help, support, and some will on the part of the sufferer.

-----

N8
So true!