Classic Old Bootlegs

Post Here All Reviews Of Bootleg CD's/LP's etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Classic Old Bootlegs

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

What were your favourite Elvis bootlegs from way back in the pre-CD 1980s?
Last edited by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

I just loved the Jailhouse Rock sessions, It has an excellent cover, super content - which was unheard at the time ! An outtake of Jailhouse Rock, in excellent quality -wow- could you believe that ?! well it got even better, it had a completely different take of I beg Of You on it, in crap quality, but who cared ... !

I Also liked the Rocking Rebel series, outtakes from King Creole and Loving You in amazing sound ...

Let's not forget that these albums kept us Elvis fans in the 80's, RCA didn't bother with any new material, sure there was the silver box, but I couldn't afford that ! Legendary Performer vol. 4 was great, but that's just one album ...

I say hail to the bootleggers, they done a lot for the Elvis community, and taking high risks ... THANKS GUYS !!!!!

Maurice Carver
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Maurice Carver »

The early 80's were great. When I received the albums like Loving You Recording Sessions and Shock Rattle and Roll. These gems were awesome and deserve more credit.
Thanks to the Dutch people (you know who ;-))

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Never heard of Nevada Nights, but all the others mentioned are terrific. The Live Archive Series was very good. I like the Pittsburgh a lot, hell there are at least a dozen better then what RCA ever did.

Mike Eder

Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by 3577 »

Maurice Carver wrote:The early 80's were great. When I received the albums like Loving You Recording Sessions and Shock Rattle and Roll. These gems were awesome and deserve more credit.
I played Loving You Recording Sessions over and over again. Just as The Million Dollar Quartet (1981 if im correct) The 80's were indeed wonderfull. Brings back great memories. I guess i had 70 bootlegs on vinyl. Sold them all, and still regret it.

kajsa89
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Re: Classic Old Bootlegs

Post by kajsa89 »

I won "Rockin' With Elvis New Year's Eve" in an auction in the 1984 or 1985, and it still has a very special place in my collection. It was in mint condition and still is.
About a year ago I decided to sit down with my copy of "Jailhouse Rock" to see which bootlegs would be worth trying to get. The short list included "The Last Farewell" (original with blue ticket), "America's Own" (Uniondale '75), "From Las Vegas to Niagara Falls" (original with b/w photos) and "Rockin' With Elvis April Fools' Day" (I've just ordered the new CD made from the master tape, btw) and the Burbank records. I found and won most of these in ONE weekend!
I first got my collection in vinyl, and these vinyl boots are special to have.

Let's get a deluxe Blu-Ray with "Elvis On Tour", too! A release that has unrelased footage, not merely the original movie minus Johnny B!!

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

I thought you were very mature and reflected for a 19-year-old, Kajsa, and I was impressed with you, but I realize now that you’re much older than that. :lol:

kajsa89

Post by kajsa89 »

19 year old? What on this planet gave you that idea?? I am born in 1965, so I am well into my 43rd year (oh dear...). So if I seemed mature/reflected for a 19-year-old, I guess I am barely normal for my age...? :)
When I won the Pittsburg album, I actually also won "The Last Farewell", but on 2nd thoughts felt like it would mean too much money. I was going to school at the time, living off my summer job money for free-time activities. I asked not having to pay for Indy, and someone else were allowed to buy it. If only I had bought it then... The copy I bought from eBay is quite nice, but not mint/near-mint.
Anyone got a mint/near-mint copy of "The Last Farewell. Live from Indy", with black cover, red letter print and BLUE print on the ticket to sell me for a decent price??

Let's get a deluxe Blu-Ray with "Elvis On Tour", too! A release that has unrelased footage, not merely the original movie minus Johnny B!!

Deleted User 1099

You call yourself Kajsa89, as in 1989, so I naturally assumed that that was the year you were born. It’s quite popular to put stuff like that in your Internet name these days. :lol:

kajsa89

Post by kajsa89 »

Ken Jensen wrote:You call yourself Kajsa89, as in 1989, so I naturally assumed that that was the year you were born. It’s quite popular to put stuff like that in your Internet name these days. :lol:
Oh, the "89" has got a totally different reason. But it does mean "1989". And my name is not Kajsa.

Deleted User 1099

I see. If I were to venture a guess, I’d say that’s your daughter’s name, and that she is born in 1989, although I could be totally wrong about that too.

Anyway, I need to catch some sleep. Have a good night.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

kajsa89

Post by kajsa89 »

Ken Jensen wrote:I see. If I were to venture a guess, I’d say that’s your daughter’s name, and that she is born in 1989, although I could be totally wrong about that too.
You are. My 3 kids are from 1.5-ish years to 7.
I prefer to keep some mystique, not revealing the background for my nick.

PS: I expect a huge "OFF-TOPIC" sign here any time.... :)

acmeruya
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by acmeruya »

This thread brings back a lot of happy memories collecting the old vinyl boots. I remember in particular the high standards of the 'Audifon' releases like the 'Behind Closed Doors' and 'Burbank' sets and also remember nearly dying the first time I heard the trio 'Plantation Rock', 'I'm Leaving It Up To You' and 'A Dog's Life'.

Phil

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rickeap »

Rockin' With Elvis NYE, The Last Farewell were my early favourites
I also loved the packaging of the 61 Hawaii concert

elVis112
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by elVis112 »

In the late eightes a super cool boot caught my attention: "Kickin' back!" (Live Archives EPE 1013). That was one cool album with rehearsals and cool excerpts of the infamous Vegas '74 closing night. And what a beautiful cover this litte baby had!

Edith says: just found this link to a cool Italian site with lots of them good ol' boots -> http://www.freeforumzone.leonardo.it/lofi/LA-DISCOGRAFIA-BOOTLEG-DI-ELVIS/D5405571-7.html

...this is no time for siesta, this is time for fun!

cjelvis
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by cjelvis »

My first bootleg vinyl was "Play it hot" with the unedited "Maybellene" in June 83, I was 20 years old :D

Inigo Montoya

Re:

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Maurice Carver wrote:The early 80's were great. When I received the albums like Loving You Recording Sessions and Shock Rattle and Roll. These gems were awesome and deserve more credit.
I felt the same about receiving the same two albums, and even LPs with lesser material on them (Hawaii USA, for example) just shone...brilliant stuff. Radio Recorders Revisited, Elvis Rocks And The Girls Roll: so many nice records coming out from the efforts of Certain European Fans in the early to late '80s, before it all went to CD and the soundboards started appearing (by which time I was too busy to keep up with the Elvis world and had, with the exception of a few more concert cassettes and a fair bit more concert VHS, about a 15-year hiatus from the world of underground Elvis product).

Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

acmeruya wrote:This thread brings back a lot of happy memories collecting the old vinyl boots. I remember in particular the high standards of the 'Audifon' releases like the 'Behind Closed Doors' and 'Burbank' sets and also remember nearly dying the first time I heard the trio 'Plantation Rock', 'I'm Leaving It Up To You' and 'A Dog's Life'.

Phil
Behind Closed Doors was (I think at $25, though I had to send to the USA for it) not just one of the best bargains I've ever had in terms of original Elvis product but was one fine release. As good as the material has been that's come out since, that set was a revelation. I bought volume 2 of Audifön's Burbank series because it was recorded on my birthday (June 29, actually...today); at the time I had no idea of the '68 special and I never did get the first volume on LP. I was, of course, a tad more than pleasantly surprised by the contents when I listened to it and, son enough, I had Paul Lichter's Boy Who Dared To Rock to fill in a few of the details (and, yep, not too long after got the second(?) edition of Recording Sessions, I think through OEPFC or Heanor Record Centre, and learned considerably more). Always thought the cover shot on the second Burbank 2-LP set was and remains one of the most classic images of Elvis that I've ever seen, too.
Burbank.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.