Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

xmascarrol
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Mood:

Re: Guitar Man - The Sessions 1967-68 New FTD Set. Summer 2024

Post by xmascarrol »

I've got this order and then only 2 to collect and these boxsets are complete until another one comes out , just a question is,

Elvis recorded at Madison sq Gardens and The Lost Album Devil in Disguise worth getting just to be complete.

Madison Sq Gardens, I have a prince from another Planet, the afternoon in the garden and Elvis at madison sq gardens and I also think i have operation big apple so is it worth getting or just best to save my money on this set .. Tbh i think I have Aloha 3 or 4 times already lol.

he maybe gone but never forgotten.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

emjel wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:44 pm
Another email just come through - Guitar Man: The Sessions 67/68 5 CD Set which many have been looking forward to getting released by FTD. That’s a great shot for the cover.

July could be an expensive month with the Celluloid book too. My bank card has scurried off into hiding. :wink:
`
good one emjel :D Hey matey, I been sayin' for 2 years over here that there ought to be a Nashville 67-68 comp.

Am over the moon about it :smt005

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by elvis-fan »

xmascarrol wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:28 am
Elvis recorded at Madison sq Gardens and The Lost Album Devil in Disguise worth getting just to be complete.
I guess if you want your collection complete your question answers itself. Regardless, they are both worth having:

1) MSG FTD has been remixed by Matt Ross-Spang and the new sound is quite good. I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than PFAP but it's different.
2) The '63-'64 recordings on Devil In Disguise FTD has also been remixed and the sound quality of these studio recordings are as good as it gets.

Of course it's entirely up to you and your wallet...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:29 am
And corn.. hold the man.. in the moon.

That's not the line.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Rob »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Hole.

Cornhole

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

escapeguy
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by escapeguy »

elvisarsenal wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:15 pm
Two of my all time favourites…..singing tree and just call me lonesome :D
Man, I love singing tree

Master of Escape
Embracing Life by tempting Death...Michael Griffin lives to tell!
1 man. 2-Time winner of the World Magic Awards

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Rob wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:52 pm
Johnny2523 wrote:
Hole.

Cornhole
Every day's a school day.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

javilu

Post by javilu »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:15 pm

Oh, your English is not the problem.

You big mad.

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Yes, laugh at your own jokes, you are the only one who does.

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

javilu

Post by javilu »

londonflash wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 3:04 pm
Rob wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:52 pm
Johnny2523 wrote:
Hole.

Cornhole
Every day's a school day.
Up in the morning and out to school....

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by JeroenNL »

BTW: the short jam of 'Muleskinner Blues' - during 'Stay Away' session - is also not mentioned on the tracklisting but I am sure it will be on there...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I'm glad you're all looking forward to this, but where's my soundboard set goddamnit! :(

Rob? Cisco?

:wtf:

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Kullervo
Registered for: 9 years

Post by Kullervo »

This picture was posted on a Facebook group. Don't know it it's real.

GuitarMan.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Rob »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:09 pm
I'm glad you're all looking forward to this, but where's my soundboard set goddamnit! :(

Rob? Cisco?

:wtf:
I have zero to do with this.

Zero, I say!

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

strutmut
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by strutmut »

elvisarsenal wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:15 pm
Two of my all time favourites…..singing tree and just call me lonesome :D
I love singing tree as well!

Maybe you like this one... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6Oh37ywbA

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by Markus K. »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:28 pm
Odd that they left the October 1, 1967 session out, if you give us most of the Stay Away Joe sessions, may as well give us all of what's available. I'm still all in though, the rest of the material is excellent.
I understand you wanting to add the recordings of that day to the release. Yet, I'm really glad it was left out.
Two out of three songs recorded that Sunday were a total waste of tape. 19 live takes for "Stay away, Joe" (of which most consist of FS with clapping, Jordanairs howling and a drum beat), the instrumental take that was one-take overdubbed for use as a master and five takes of "Dominic" would have really been bringing the quality of the set down. The only valid song from that day was "All I needed was the Rain" that was finished by take 3, where take 2 is really just nothing at all so it is mostly the master.
Yeah, I'm glad it is not included on a set that focuses on the regular Nashville studio session work. It would be like including "Double Trouble" on the "How great thou art" set, only because it also featured recordings from June '66.

rollinson1

Post by rollinson1 »

Markus K. wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:27 am
Elvis2000 wrote:
Odd that they left the October 1, 1967 session out, if you give us most of the Stay Away Joe sessions, may as well give us all of what's available. I'm still all in though, the rest of the material is excellent.
I understand you wanting to add the recordings of that day to the release. Yet, I'm really glad it was left out.
Two out of three songs recorded that Sunday were a total waste of tape. 19 live takes for "Stay away, Joe" (of which most consist of FS with clapping, Jordanairs howling and a drum beat), the instrumental take that was one-take overdubbed for use as a master and five takes of "Dominic" would have really been bringing the quality of the set down. The only valid song from that day was "All I needed was the Rain" that was finished by take 3, where take 2 is really just nothing at all so it is mostly the master.
Yeah, I'm glad it is not included on a set that focuses on the regular Nashville studio session work. It would be like including "Double Trouble" on the "How great thou art" set, only because it also featured recordings from June '66.

100% agree with this it would definitely spoil a great sessions set.

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Elvis2000 »

Markus K. wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
The whole point of these sets was for us to get sessions as complete as possible, we either should have got the full thing in this set or a separate release down the line. I agree the quality of tracks for the most part aren’t up to the same standards as the rest of the material but I think excluding them has brought this set down a bit, if you’re not interested in listening to Stay Away Joe and Dominic the skip button is always available, or if you rip the sets you could leave those tracks out. It would in no way shape or form be like adding Double Trouble to How Great Thou Art.

Alexander
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Alexander »

Markus K. wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
People sometimes do talk sense over here :wink:

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:23 am
Markus K. wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
The whole point of these sets was for us to get sessions as complete as possible, we either should have got the full thing in this set or a separate release down the line. I agree the quality of tracks for the most part aren’t up to the same standards as the rest of the material but I think excluding them has brought this set down a bit, if you’re not interested in listening to Stay Away Joe and Dominic the skip button is always available, or if you rip the sets you could leave those tracks out. It would in no way shape or form be like adding Double Trouble to How Great Thou Art.
I think the connection to "Stay away, Joe" is rather small in the first place. I think we can agree that the September sessions were a thing of their own, meant to produce bonus material for the soundtrack album for "Clambake" and potential singles.
In October Elvis was to record three songs for his next movie project "Stay away, Joe", which wasn't meant to be a singing film, but mainly a comedy.
In January '68 two additional songs were to be recorded as an afterthought for "Stay away, Joe", namely "Goin' Home" and "Stay away", where only the letter was used in the movie for the opening credits.
And RCA got more potential single material with "U.S. Male" and "Too much monkey business".
This split session in January is what bring the connection to "Stay away, Joe" where otherwise it would be completely separated. Yet, the two songs can stand well on their own, much more so than what was being recorded that day in the previous years October for the initial use in the movie. And I still feel that it was the right call to leave out these three cuts for the movie and focus on the regular Nashville recordings with the two MGM bonus cuts being a valid excemption as sort of an extension to the short January session.
But sure, your feelings in regards to the set are as valid as mine.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Elvis2000 »

Markus K. wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:24 am
Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:23 am
Markus K. wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
I think the connection to "Stay away, Joe" is rather small in the first place. I think we can agree that the September sessions were a thing of their own, meant to produce bonus material for the soundtrack album for "Clambake" and potential singles.
In October Elvis was to record three songs for his next movie project "Stay away, Joe", which wasn't meant to be a singing film, but mainly a comedy.
In January '68 two additional songs were to be recorded as an afterthought for "Stay away, Joe", namely "Goin' Home" and "Stay away", where only the letter was used in the movie for the opening credits.
And RCA got more potential single material with "U.S. Male" and "Too much monkey business".
This split session in January is what bring the connection to "Stay away, Joe" where otherwise it would be completely separated. Yet, the two songs can stand well on their own, much more so than what was being recorded that day in the previous years October for the initial use in the movie. And I still feel that it was the right call to leave out these three cuts for the movie and focus on the regular Nashville recordings with the two MGM bonus cuts being a valid excemption as sort of an extension to the short January session.
But sure, your feelings in regards to the set are as valid as mine.
I agree with pretty much all of this to be honest, but I think it would have been better to get everything in one place, where else are they going to put the rest of the Stay Away Joe material? It would sound out of place next to other soundtrack sessions around it and it's unlikely we get a box set for one disc of mostly average material.

I think pairing the Clambake and Guitar Man sessions together would have made more sense if FTD were insistent on adding a soundtrack session to this set, allowing for the full Stay Away Joe sessions to be released down the line.

Sugarfoot
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Sugarfoot »

To me the obvious connection is in the title - "Guitar Man". This collects the sessions with Jerry Reed in one place. :)

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Markus K. wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:

The new collection is 5xCD. Five! Every listed session gives a fan pretty much whatever went on tape that evening. There's no way FTD could justify another half disc of material from October 1, and especially because -- as you note -- there's not much there.

Ten years back the label delivered Stay Away, Joe (FTD), and more than half of it is on the new set. The other half . . . is what it is.

https://www.elvisinnorway.no/stayawayjoe.html

But if you have both, you should be pretty satisified.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:01 pm
Markus K. wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:

The new collection is 5xCD. Five! Every listed session gives a fan pretty much whatever went on tape that evening. There's no way FTD could justify another half disc of material from October 1, and especially because -- as you note -- there's not much there.

Ten years back the label delivered Stay Away, Joe (FTD), and more than half of it is on the new set. The other half . . . is what it is.

https://www.elvisinnorway.no/stayawayjoe.html

But if you have both, you should be pretty satisified.
Exactly and well put.
Those who want the songs from that movie still have them available on that stand-alone soundtrack FTD and if one really is after more takes of "Stay away, Joe" there are old bootleg titles like "Come what may" that feature most of the early takes that are missing on the official release. But, like I said: even if you take the poor quality of the material out of the equation there is still the fact that most takes feature only the instrumental intro (and later on some of the screaming) and not much singing. It would have really been unjustified to add another disc to the set just for these picks.

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

For "Stay away, Joe" fans only! :sweat_smile:

Takes 1, 3-6 and the anouncement for take 7, all officially unreleased. :cowboy:

Stay away, Joe (Takes1,3-6+Announcement for 7).mp3

Takes 2, 8 and 9 (all also previously unreleased) would be full versions with take 2 being pretty rough for this first complete runthrough.

Takes 10-17 are featured on the "Stay away, Joe" FTD with the exception of takes 11+14, which are totally unreleased.

Take 17 is the movie master.

Takes 18-19 are totally unreleased.

The master of the record version is take 2 with an additional added intro part spliced in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elvisarsenal
Registered for: 17 years

Post by elvisarsenal »

I have just read on another site that there is no censorship on this forthcoming set and the Prisoner song is included