Robert wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:06 am
pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:57 am
Robert wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:50 am
pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:42 am
Another throwaway, attention seeking remark from egotist Baz Luhrmann. No surprise there. The concert footage is happening, is it? We'll see. But this latest remark (giving no promises whatsoever) again gives no details, and is purely designed to fuel speculation amongst fans and create Luhrmann headlines - both of which have occurred.

If he IS going to make some form of concert film featuring Elvis himself, that would have to be in conjunction with WB. And I'm pretty sure that WB would want that info first made public in an official press release or social media post in tandem with them, and not some tossed off, clickbait remark to a reporter at the Met gala. I'd be pretty miffed if I was at WB, wouldn't you?

Yes, it would be great if it happened, but I wouldn't hold you breath, especially if you want it soon. Firstly, he says "I THINK that concert that we found is going to happen." Not that it IS happening, but that he THINKS it will happen. A convenient choice of words for Baz's self-publicity. Oh, yeah, and let's remember he didn't FIND anything. It wasn't lost. Everyone knew it was there.

What's more, he makes clear he hasn't even started work on it yet - despite people on here posting eighteen months ago that it was definitely going to happen. And let's he honest: there was seven years between Moulin Rouge and Australia. Five years between Australia and Great Gatsby, and nine years between Gatsby and Elvis. He's made six films in thirty years. Bearing all of that in mind, if it DOES happen, expect it around 2030.
You may have just proven the point why he is so vague..
WB surely will release an official teaser when the time is right.. he is just talking to a reporter so you can't expect him to go into detail with communication restrictions in place.

On the fact that he put out 6 films in 30 years, I don't think you can compare a "redux" with most of the work he has done prior.
Except we don't if it will be a redux or not. WB have been there before and got their fingers burned. So why would they do another now, only this time with more expense because of a big name director.

As for the time factor, he first mentioned this 18 months ago - and he still only "thinks" it's going to happen. In other words, it's not even in the planning stage. He is clearly not a man in a hurry.
Yeah well maybe the big take away here is the fact that the project is - apparently - still alive.
The main roadblock has always been the publication right complexity, so basically a high risk gamble.
If they managed to work that out there are multiple ways to produce and schedule a release in some form or shape.

As a fan I just hope any efforts releasing "a full Austin Butler concert" has been put to bed and this will be the main focus.
No, the roadblock has been the financial risk of doing it. Nothing to do with rights. If WB wanted to do it, they could have done it long ago.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Re: Baz Luhrmann`s Elvis film

Post by pmp »

DEH wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:16 am
I believe it's happening. We have talked about complications before like will they spend lots of money to clean up the footage. Well they did that. I think the success of the Elvis movie has helped this. It showed that there still seemed to be interest in Elvis. If that movie had bombed I doubt there would be any of talk of this.
No, it hasn't shown there's still interest in Elvis. Where do you get that from? There was an interest in a film biopic. Elvis sales have not increased because of it. There hasn't been a huge increase in spotify streams.

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by DEH »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:27 am
DEH wrote:
I believe it's happening. We have talked about complications before like will they spend lots of money to clean up the footage. Well they did that. I think the success of the Elvis movie has helped this. It showed that there still seemed to be interest in Elvis. If that movie had bombed I doubt there would be any of talk of this.
No, it hasn't shown there's still interest in Elvis. Where do you get that from? There was an interest in a film biopic. Elvis sales have not increased because of it. There hasn't been a huge increase in spotify streams.
Don't start again please....

steve in sc4
Registered for: 6 months

Post by steve in sc4 »

Don’t see how anyone could say the film has not sparked interest in Elvis.

pmp

Post by pmp »

steve in sc4 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:10 am
Then give evidence that the interest has continued to 18 months after the film premiered. There is no indication of that.

pmp

Post by pmp »

DEH wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:31 am
pmp wrote:
DEH wrote:
I'll throw that back at you, as you start waffling on about things that never happened.

DEH

Post by DEH »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:24 am
DEH wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:31 am
pmp wrote:
DEH wrote:
I'll throw that back at you, as you start waffling on about things that never happened.
Throw back what you want. I am not returning to 2022 with you. :roll:

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:42 am
Another throwaway, attention seeking remark from egotist Baz Luhrmann. No surprise there. The concert footage is happening, is it? We'll see. But this latest remark (giving no promises whatsoever) again gives no details, and is purely designed to fuel speculation amongst fans and create Luhrmann headlines - both of which have occurred.
I agree with the above, especially the bolded portions.
I will, of course, be very glad if/when any "new" EOT footage is officially released, . . . but I get the same impression about Baz 📣 (!) in general, too.

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Mister Mike »

I find it a little funny and a tad ironic that PM's reaction to Baz is somewhat similar to Doc's reaction to MRS.... (I like you Shane, but when it comes to Baz, your incontrollable disdain for the man really pushes you over the edge....)

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Mister Mike wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:30 pm
I find it a little funny and a tad ironic that PM's reaction to Baz is somewhat similar to Doc's reaction to MRS.... (I like you Shane, but when it comes to Baz, your incontrollable disdain for the man really pushes you over the edge....)
I don't have disdain for the man, I just don't like his work. But one has to put his comments in context to realise what he's doing - the context of how he has used the media in the past.

He provided a teaser trailer for the concert footage well over a year ago - and still doesn't know if it is going ahead. So why believe anything he says or does? No-one provides a trailer for a film that isn't even given the green light. Doing that is just a publicity stunt.

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by robbie »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:33 pm
Mister Mike wrote:
I don't have disdain for the man, I just don't like his work. But one has to put his comments in context to realise what he's doing - the context of how he has used the media in the past.

He provided a teaser trailer for the concert footage well over a year ago - and still doesn't know if it is going ahead. So why believe anything he says or does? No-one provides a trailer for a film that isn't even given the green light. Doing that is just a publicity stunt.
you would know would you :D

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Dan_T »

pmp wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:

The "Teaser Trailer" was October last year, 6 months ago, not over a year.

Maybe the "Elvis Surprise Coming Up" is some of the footage will be used in the upcoming Netflix series ? And a bigger project will be coming later ?

DEH

Post by DEH »

Let's get positive again. Let's hope that maybe something will be mentioned at Elvis Week..

pmp

Post by pmp »

robbie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 7:56 pm
pmp wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:

Well, I probably know more about the film world that you do, let's put it that way. I can't think of a single instance when a trailer was put out before a project was even green lit.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Dan_T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:09 pm
pmp wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:

Maybe the "Elvis Surprise Coming Up" is some of the footage will be used in the upcoming Netflix series ? And a bigger project will be coming later ?
What Netflix series?

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:22 am
steve in sc4 wrote:
Then give evidence that the interest has continued to 18 months after the film premiered. There is no indication of that.
When the movie debuted here in Spain, it was also screened (not for free) at open air in the main "Plaza" in Madrid. Last year they did the same, it was full packed again.

That said, the movie has been on pay tv plataforms for months over here in Spain, it´s in the Top Ten most viewed movie since then. This past Saturday night, it was screened for free for the first time, on the main state channel T.V.E, it was viewed by almost 1.000.000 viewers (9.2 % share), not bad I think.... 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Mike Windgren wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:59 pm
pmp wrote:
steve in sc4 wrote:
When the movie debuted here in Spain, it was also screened (not for free) at open air in the main "Plaza" in Madrid. Last year they did the same, it was full packed again.

That said, the movie has been on pay tv plataforms for months over here in Spain, it´s in the Top Ten most viewed movie since then. This past Saturday night, it was screened for free for the first time, on the main state channel T.V.E, it was viewed by almost 1.000.000 viewers (9.2 % share), not bad I think.... 8). Bye for now :smt006.
But that's the popularity of a movie with Austin Butler and Tom Hanks. There are no indications that it has increased the popularity of Elvis himself or his music. We know this through chart placings, we know this through Spotify numbers. And the biggest indication is that Sony have released nothing to make the most of any uptick in interest. Compare that to 2002 when Elvis was thrust back into the public consciousness through ALLC. There were three hits albums released on the back of that - albums that did phenomenally well - a Christmas disc, a gospel disc, various themed discs etc. There's been nothing like that from Sony, and you can bet your life there would have been if Elvis's popularity had indeed increased. EOT set was planned long before the film came out because of copyright laws, and the Aloha set was presumably going to come out anyway.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Mike Windgren wrote:
pmp wrote:
steve in sc4 wrote:

BEAT THE CHIRINGUITO RATINGS !!! KUDOS

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by robbie »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:38 pm
robbie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 7:56 pm
pmp wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:

Well, I probably know more about the film world that you do, let's put it that way. I can't think of a single instance when a trailer was put out before a project was even green lit.
well lets put this way i have had some insight on the outtakes being moved into action for at lest a year and half and dropped hints some people can't believe until it's in there face wait and see

Sillyme
Registered for: 1 year 6 months
Mood:

Post by Sillyme »

pmp wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:45 am
Mike Windgren wrote:
pmp wrote:
steve in sc4 wrote:

But that's the popularity of a movie with Austin Butler and Tom Hanks. There are no indications that it has increased the popularity of Elvis himself or his music. We know this through chart placings, we know this through Spotify numbers. And the biggest indication is that Sony have released nothing to make the most of any uptick in interest. Compare that to 2002 when Elvis was thrust back into the public consciousness through ALLC. There were three hits albums released on the back of that - albums that did phenomenally well - a Christmas disc, a gospel disc, various themed discs etc. There's been nothing like that from Sony, and you can bet your life there would have been if Elvis's popularity had indeed increased. EOT set was planned long before the film came out because of copyright laws, and the Aloha set was presumably going to come out anyway.
That is quite a lame comment. Austin Butler is not particularly big in Spain, and I'm sure Tom Hanks is a respected actor, but people are not going to watch a movie because the two actors are in it, it's clearly the topic and music that draws people to the (open air) theatre. Can't you just chill, wait and hope. If it's not ever coming we still have so much to enjoy.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Robert »

pmp wrote:
There are no indications that it has increased the popularity of Elvis himself or his music. We know this through chart placings, we know this through Spotify numbers
5 to 8 million more Spotify monthly listeners since the movie came out… Can’t be wrong.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by emjel »

Sillyme wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:08 am
pmp wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
pmp wrote:
steve in sc4 wrote:

That is quite a lame comment. Austin Butler is not particularly big in Spain, and I'm sure Tom Hanks is a respected actor, but people are not going to watch a movie because the two actors are in it, it's clearly the topic and music that draws people to the (open air) theatre. Can't you just chill, wait and hope. If it's not ever coming we still have so much to enjoy.
Well it’s not really a lame comment. The showing of the movie simply indicates that people enjoy going to see a movie for a night’s entertainment and watching it outside, is probably regarded as a bit of an added novelty too. There is nothing to suggest that off the back of that happening, that interest in Elvis and his music will go up or has gone up a significant way.

Yes at the time when the movie was originally released, there was a good upswing in people buying into 30 #1sa nd that album continues to sell like hit compilation albums do for other iconic artists, but there is no evidence that shows this has translated into a really meaningful and similar way against more of the catalogue especially when you consider the number of people who went to watch the movie.

Brand new releases by Sony since the movie was released have performed no better than releases that came out prior to the release of the movie. Elvis records or rather the music continues to sell or rather mainly gets listened to these days via streaming, and allows people to dip their toes into the water before committing to getting or listening go to a full album, so it will sell or get listened to in a drip feed fashion, but that in itself does not mean there is big new interest in Elvis, his music and his movies following Baz’ movie.

And let’s face it, the majority of Elvis’ albums were never big sellers when they were first released anyhow and even a couple of his studio albums that have always been considered his best weren’t either, so I cannot see why that would change in any way for most of his music/recordings that was never regarded as being top quality in the first place.

Personally, I think a new revamped documentary combining TTWII and EOT is now more likely to happen than ever before, because I believe we are reaching a time that if something does not happen soon, it is unlikely to happen at all. And Baz is going to look like a bit of an idiot if nothing happens following all his teaser comments about it. However, I cannot see it being much more than a couple of hours in length rather than a lot longer like 4 or 5 hours that some are calling for, because whilst there is lots of unseen footage, the majority of that must be footage from the show performances where Elvis sings the same songs st every show, so unless there is a lot of unseen footage that shows an unknown side to Elvis, it is unlikely to be interesting enough for the non fan to buy into to and watch.

And I would be surprised to see it before 2027 when it is more likely to have its outing via streaming and then home media and when it would be a reasonable thing to put out for the 50th anniversary of Elvis’ death.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by emjel »

Robert wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:25 pm
pmp wrote:
There are no indications that it has increased the popularity of Elvis himself or his music. We know this through chart placings, we know this through Spotify numbers
5 to 8 million more Spotify monthly listeners since the movie came out… Can’t be wrong.
That is not necessarily indicative that this is 5 to 8 million new fans and a bigger interest in Elvis and his music. It's the number of follwers that is more important. A listener-to-follower ratio of 1 means that the listeners are all converting to followers who are taking an interest in the music by the artist. If it's less than 1, it means that not all of them are actively following the artist. Elvis has 20 million listeners up by around 7 million in the last couple of years which could simply mean that more of the existing fan base is now tuned in to Spotify and listening to Spotify created Playlists instead of playing their CDs etc. whereas the followers have only increased by around 1.34 million to 9.2 million in the same period. Yes an increase and it would be silly to suggest that the Baz movie has not had some kind of influence but not necessarily in the manner or numbers some need it to be.

Monthly ‘listeners’ are regarded as individuals who play one of the artist's tracks within a 28 day period and it could be the same fans listening to the same generated playlists too on a regular basis and this is evidenced by the big increase in listening numbers at Christmas time, when not only Elvis's Christmas music gets listened too, but Christmas songs by other artists too. It was pehnomnal to see Brenda Lee get over 50 million listeners during December and basically off the back of one song "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree".

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:40 pm
Dan_T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:09 pm
pmp wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:

What Netflix series?
It was reported by Darlene Love, apparently on her FB page, That Priscilla had invited her to be involved in a new Netflix series about Elvis which will be aired in the coming months.

"Forgot to mention that I was invited by Priscilla Presley a few months ago to participate in a documentary series about Elvis Presley that will air on Netflix in the coming months. I’ll keep you all posted once an air date is confirmed"

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

I'd say London Arches exhibition, and the fact it's been extended to September is an indication Baz' film has helped Elvis' popularity.

I know the previous o2 exhibitions did well but I think this one may possibly be doing better business ?