Ivory Joe Hunter's "It's Still Here" --> Here? Where?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Ivory Joe Hunter's "It's Still Here" --> Here? Where?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Elvis' little trio of May 1971 piano songs, done on his own, a late night addition near the end of a week of sessions at RCA Nashville's "Studio B," are stunning in their simplicity. More importantly, in each of them we hear the singer's 110% commitment to the material.

There are no ribald lyric changes, no mid-song snickers or blown notes.

This is an artist at work. The feeling on each performance is deeply personal.

I often think back to what critic and historian Greil Marcus wrote in his 1980 review of RCA's Elvis Aron Presley box set, where they were featured on a side called "Elvis At The Piano":

Obscure performances of old-fashioned sentimental songs, played and sung with grace and commitment. "I Will Be True" is a masterpiece. Here, something is revealed; these tunes are meditations on peace of mind, because, for Elvis, peace of mind was never more than an idea.

All three are quiet tributes to a beloved singer and songwriter, Ivory Joe Hunter.

700400_Ivory Joe Hunter_PR shot.jpg
Ivory Joe Hunter - 1970 publicity photo

"I Will Be True" was a 1952 MGM single B-side that later ended up on Ivory Joe's long-awaited LP debut in 1957. His lovely cover of "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" was a highlight of a very sentimental album released in 1958.

Both performances impressed Elvis so much that he taped them on a reel-to-reel while stationed in Germany the following year.

570126_MGM E3488_01.jpg

570126_MGM E3488_02.jpg
Ivory Joe Hunter I Get That Lonesome Feeling (MGM E 3488, January 26, 1957)

580324_Atlantic 8015_01.jpg

580324_Atlantic 8015_02.jpg
Ivory Joe Hunter Sings The Old And The New (Atlantic 8015, March 24, 1958)

However ... "It's Still Here" is intriguing, as there's no known recording of it prior to Elvis.

Ivory Joe did cut a version in Nashville not long before he passed away in November 1974, but since it post-dates the Presley recording and release, that makes Elvis' the original.

Sheet music for "It's Still Here" shows it belonging to one of Elvis' publishing firms, Gladys Music, and copyrighted 1973. These two facts strongly suggest it had not been recorded by anyone before Presley.

730700_It's Still Here_sheet music.jpg
Sheet music for "It's Still Here" - copyright 1973
Source:
keithflynn.com

But there's more.

Prior to moving to Memphis in March 1973, Ivory Joe had a comeback album in the works in early 1970. It would be released as The Return Of Ivory Joe Hunter on the Epic label.

Memphis scribe James Kingsley interviewed him by phone about this so-called comeback and, among other things, Hunter spoke of songs he planned to send to Presley for use in his upcoming RCA sessions!

“But you can bet I’m gonna find my boy Elvis a good tune, yes, sir."

Spotlight On Music—

Ivory Joe Says He's Back

By JAMES KINGSLEY

Ivory Joe Hunter sits in his home at Monroe, La., and rolls out songs like a housewife making biscuits.

He has written somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 songs including such hits as "Since I Met You Baby," “My Wish Came True,” “I Need You So,” “Ain’t That Lovin’ You Baby” and “I Almost Lost My Mind.”

Last week he was going through some of his songs trying to find two or three that Elvis Presley could record in his next session scheduled in about four weeks, place undecided, possibly Memphis.

“I’m just sitting here in my bedroom with the tape recorder on the bed and the television humming," Ivory Joe said as he began a telephone chat. “But you can bet I’m gonna find my boy Elvis a good tune, yes, sir."

“NOW, ELVIS he’s something else. He recorded some of my songs and they all sold over a million for him. He’s money in the bank when they put out a record on him.” Elvis recorded “Ain’t That Lovin’ You Baby,” “I Need You So,” and “My Wish Came True,” from Ivory Joe’s output.

“That Pat Boone is something else, I never really thought he could sing,” laughed Ivory Joe. “But then he recorded ‘I Almost Lost My Mind’ and it sold over four million singles. Now if anyone says anything against Pat you can bet your bottom dollar that they’re gonna’ get punched In the mouth."

Two weeks ago, Ivory Joe came to Memphis and recorded an album at Sun produced by his manager and booking agent, Bettye Berger, president of Continental Artists.

“WE REALLY got some good material,” said Ivory Joe. “We kicked the hell out of Ol’ Man River with an up-tempo beat. I think it will be the first single when she leases the album."

The album’s dozen tunes also include "Coming Down with the Blues," “Empty Arms,” “Everybody Gets that Groovy Feelin’," “Heartbreak and Misery,” and his standards — “My Wish Came True” and “Since I Met You Baby.”

Ivory Joe has lived In Louisiana since 1952. His parents died when he was 7. He and nine brothers and sisters were raised by their oldest sister Georgia Hunter.

“She was real religious and wouldn’t let me sing my type of music in the house,” recalled Ivory Joe. “I used to go out behind a barn.” This was in Kirbyville Texas.

“I was about 13 or 14 and these boys had a gig at a honky tonk. Of course we told my sister that I would be playing spiritual music. It was only a little piece from our house and when she heard us cut into some blues music it was something else.

“GEORGIA CAME into that honky tonk with a broom and cleaned out the place. We never played there again.”

Miss Berger said, “Several weeks ago he walked into my office and told me he needed help and wanted to put his career in my hands. I have four major record companies bidding on the album.”

Ivory Joe said, “I never got out of the recording business. I’ve just not had companies that would push my songs in the past few years or maybe I was just out of step.

“But you can say one thing and be certain of it. Ivory Joe is back, and he’s back to stay in a big way."

Memphis Commercial Appeal - Sunday, April 5, 1970
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/771022467/

Did Ivory Joe get some songs to Elvis in time for his next RCA session? Could one of them have been "It's Still Here"? So sad to hear that Memphis (American Sound) was still in play as late as April 1970. What could have been.

Then, later that same year, Ivory Joe had a multi-date club appearance in Memphis.

Night Life ---

Ivory Joe Hunter Coming To Nite Lighters

By JOHN KNOTT

Ivory Joe Hunter who has had his share of million-seller records over the years will play four days this week at Billy Hill's Nite Lighters Club at Jefferson and Second.

He will give three shows a night, Wednesday through Saturday, at 10, midnight and 2 a.m.

Some of his gold records are “Since I Met You Baby," his most famous which sold about one million, “Empty Arms” and "I Need You So” which a chap named Elvis sold a million or two of. Ivory Joe has a new album which he made in Memphis coming out the first of the year.

The Triads, a three-piece folk-soul group which has been popular with Nite Lighters patrons, will start playing at 7 the nights Hunter appears.

Memphis Commercial Appeal - Sunday, November 29, 1970
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/771131922/

Could Elvis, or perhaps someone like friend and disc jockey George Klein, have gone to one of these performances, and ended up being given material such as ... "It's Still Here"?

Some may remember when Ivory Joe was invited to Graceland in the summer of 1957, and he gifted his young fan a ballad called "My Wish Came True."

Maybe someday we'll learn just a little bit more about how it all came to be.

Maybe.

MO' JOE

Ivory Joe's death was certainly one Elvis must have noticed as he approached his 40th birthday.

Death Mutes Music Of Ivory Joe Hunter

Ivory Joe Hunter, who wrote and recorded the hit song "Since I Met You, Baby," died at 1:55 p.m. Friday at NHE-Memphis Nursing Home.

The 63-year-old composer-pianist had been undergoing treatment for lung cancer since December. He was brought to Memphis from Monroe La., where he had been receiving treatment.

He wrote between 2,000 and 3,000 songs, including "My Wish Came True," “I Need You So," "Ain’t That Lovin' You Baby" and “I Almost Lost My Mind."

He was born in Kirbyville, Texas and began his recording career in Oakland, Calif., in 1937 after playing in honky-tonks in Texas.

He recorded "Since I Met You Baby" in 1956 for Atlantic Records. It was Hunter's and the company's first million seller.

"I Almost Lost My Mind" earned him a gold record award In 1956.

It was the second time the song had brought him fame. In 1950 he was named the best blues artist and the song was acclaimed record of the year.

"But he wasn't just a rhythm and blues man," manager Bettye Berger said. "Growing up in the backwoods of Texas he was close to country. But when he started recording, blacks couldn't do country, so they called it blues."

His final album will be released soon on the Paramount label, but a name has not been selected. It will include two religious songs — the first he ever recorded.

A benefit and tribute show was held for Mr. Hunter Oct 1 at Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry. Among entertainers who performed on his behalf were Isaac Hayes, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Sonny James and Melba Montgomery.

In place of flowers contributions are requested to be sent to the Cancer Society or the Cerebral Palsy Council.

S. W. Qualls Funeral Home has charge.

He leaves two sisters, Mrs. Jewell Duroune and Mrs Ethel Mae Spike both of Reno, Nev., and a brother Benny Hunter of Oakland, Calif.

Memphis Commercial Appeal - Sunday, November 10, 1974
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/771366428/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: Ivory Joe Hunter's "It's Still Here" --> Here? Where?

Post by c. Richer »

Top of the class post. Thanks.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-eye Member banned for life.fa-eye
fa-exclamation-triangle

elvinda58
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by elvinda58 »

Excellent.

Greg1995
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Greg1995 »

Elvis with Ivory Joe Hunter at Graceland, 1957
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

Fantastic insight and post, thank you!

JohanD

Hobbes
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Hobbes »

One thing I notice that Elvis liked to do, particularly on piano, is to work a song until whatever idea was in his head was completely worked out. For example on Its Still Here, I’ll Hold You In My heart, and You’ll Never Walk Alone. He did this on guitar too, like with Baby What You Want Me to Do in 68, but I get the impression that the piano was his instrument of choice for songs that meant something to him.

It’s intriguing because to me it means he’s being driven by a spark of creativity that’s the opposite of the workmanlike performances he delivers on much of his contractual obligations. He’s trying to push the idea in his head as far as he knows how to push it. These songs speak to him and he wants us to know it.

Anyway, nice post, Doc. ::rocks

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by George Smith »

Good post, John, and you know how I share your love of these songs and of Ivory Joe.

Looking at the piano music and listening to Elvis' sublime take, I've only just realised that his is a waltz-time performance.

Beautiful and haunting.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Ryan73
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by Ryan73 »

World class post Doc!! I already treasured these songs but your revelations make them even that much more valuable!

DobroMojo
Registered for: 2 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by DobroMojo »

Thanks for the great post John.

I'm not sure how true this story is - but apparently on August 5, 1974, while Ivory Joe was in hospital (3 months before he passed), Elvis sent a check for $1000 to cover his hospital bills with this letter:

“I am very sorry to hear of Joe's illness. I have been a long-time admirer of Ivory Joe and his talent. Please tell Joe for me that I wish him a speedy recovery. Joe is a great talent and has been an inspiration to many artists that have come along. It hurts me deeply to hear of his condition. I sincerely hope that this check will be of some help.

Thank you for letting me know about Joe.

Sincerely, Elvis Presley."

I found the info here: https://www.facebook.com/500049046724563/posts/august-5-1974-elvis-responded-to-a-letter-request-for-donations-to-help-rb-singe/3333448920051214/

Does anyone have a reliable/verifiable source for this story?
Was it mentioned in Ernst Jorgensen and Peter Guralnick's book "Day By Day" ? (I unfortunately don't own a copy)

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:40 am
Elvis' little trio of May 1971 piano songs, done on his own...
Norbert Putnam accompanies him on bass on "It's Still Here".

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

elvisalisellers wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:36 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:40 am
Elvis' little trio of May 1971 piano songs, done on his own...

Norbert Putnam accompanies him on bass on "It's Still Here".

Yup, you can see the "bass" designation on track 3 from the RCA tape box for the session masters made on May 19-20, 1971.

However, I specifically chose to begin this topic as you quoted because, aesthetically, this material is a mediation of the mind, via Elvis, his voice and the piano. The bass is hardly noticeable on "It's Still Here."

Your pointing it out does perhaps underscore the likely fact this was a *new* Ivory Joe Hunter song he was recording that night, as it was done first, and one of the Nashville musicians was there to play on it with him. He devotes several takes to getting it right.

The next two are just Elvis alone, which indicates he just continued on because he simply felt like it. "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" is a single take, and "I'll Be True" is just two false starts and a full take.

All three recordings are significant later period work. We have the artist recording because the spirit moves him.

700521_RCA master reel.jpg
RCA master reel, May 1971
Source:
keithfylnn.com

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Greg1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:08 pm
Elvis with Ivory Joe Hunter at Graceland, 1957

FB_IMG_1634827628311.jpg

You shouldn't make such declarations unless certain you're correct.

Way back in 2008 I posted this image with the hope it could be confirmed as Ivory Joe.

Ivory Joe Hunter Says Hello -> July 1957 ?
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40505

Sadly, the consensus was that it's probably not the beloved singer-songwriter, which was why I didn't include it here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

c. Richer wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:47 am
Top of the class post. Thanks.

Very kind, thank you.

I learned something new about Elvis, and now you know too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

I just dug out a little something more that . . . may pertain to this very topic:

MARTY LACKER: As an example, Ivory Joe Hunter wrote “My Wish Came True,” which was BMI's Song of the Year in 1959.

Well, years later, Ivory Joe came back with another good song and said, "I'd like to get this to Elvis." They [Presley publishers] gave him the same crap about the publishing, and Ivory joe said, "No, I ain't gonna do it."

Well, Elvis never got to hear the song.

- Alanna Nash, Elvis Aaron Presley (New York: HarperCollins, May 1, 1995)

Clearly, at some point Ivory Joe relented on "It's Still Here," and it was published in 1973 under Gladys Music.

Did he and Marty Lacker, or any other Elvis associate, cross paths?

Well, yes they did.

Hunter, Lacker and Lamar Fike were all present at the BMI Rhythm and Blues Awards at the Holiday Inn Rivermont in Memphis, on Friday, March 20, 1971. Among other things, BMI gave "special commendations of excellence" to four men who'd added much to the musical history of Memphis: recording artist and writer Gus Cannon, Sun Record's Sam Phillips, American Recording Studios president Chips Moman, and Stax Records president Jim Stewart.

Media photos soon followed.

Billboard Apr 03 1971_p20.jpg
Billboard - April 3, 1971

IVORY JOE HUNTER, center, writer of "Since I Met You Baby," receives an award for his tune as Lamar Fike, right, head of Hill & Range Music which published the song, watches.

. . .

MARTY LACKER, left, accepts the award for Chips Moman who was honored his outstanding contributions to the world of popular music.

This could have been the time the pitch for a song to Elvis was made. Lamar worked for Hill & Range.

Whether "It's Still Here" was offered . . . or other material . . . we don't know.

But it's interesting to ponder.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

tomogland
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by tomogland »

I was listening to a recording of "It's Still Here" by Ivory Joe Hunter on youtube:
https://youtu.be/-CIIwAhG2yk

Is this the same Ivory Joe Hunter recording you are referring to, John?
Ivory Joe did cut a version in Nashville not long before he passed away in November 1974, but since it post-dates the Presley recording and release, that makes Elvis' the original.
There is a comment on the youtube post from a user POWWOWMIK (three years ago):
Hi, I've just found a different version of this song on a 45 by Ivory Joe Hunter, on a local Winnsboro, La. label called Delta. Can't find out any information on this release and the only online reference to it I can find is the copy I bought. Looks and sounds late 60s / early 70s. Was the version you posted ever released?
This must be the label he is referring to:
https://www.discogs.com/label/705281-Delta-Records-13
But unfortunately the Ivory Joe Hunter single isn't listed here.

So perhaps the version on the Delta Records single is the one Elvis heard?

(The version on youtube in on "This Is My Country" (2008), but I don't know if that album was the first release of those country recordings.)

I found another Delta Records single by Ivory Joe Hunter on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isektzt1o2U
No info on the year of this release though.

Tom

samses

Post by samses »

EXCELLENT THREAD!

loiacvi1
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by loiacvi1 »

very informative post thank you

the echo will never die

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

tomogland wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:32 pm
I was listening to a recording of "It's Still Here" by Ivory Joe Hunter on youtube:
https://youtu.be/-CIIwAhG2yk

Is this the same Ivory Joe Hunter recording you are referring to, John?
There is a comment on the youtube post from a user POWWOWMIK (three years ago):
Hi, I've just found a different version of this song on a 45 by Ivory Joe Hunter, on a local Winnsboro, La. label called Delta. Can't find out any information on this release and the only online reference to it I can find is the copy I bought. Looks and sounds late 60s / early 70s. Was the version you posted ever released?
This must be the label he is referring to:
https://www.discogs.com/label/705281-Delta-Records-13
But unfortunately the Ivory Joe Hunter single isn't listed here.

So perhaps the version on the Delta Records single is the one Elvis heard?

(The version on youtube in on "This Is My Country" (2008), but I don't know if that album was the first release of those country recordings.)

I found another Delta Records single by Ivory Joe Hunter on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isektzt1o2U
No info on the year of this release though.

Tom

A bit to unpack here.

The first video link is the same circa 1973 Nashville recording that post-dates Elvis' original 1971 master of "It's Still Here."

However, Ivory’s lovely album from the Nashville sessions did not include it.

740209_Paramount Records PAS 6080_01.jpg

740209_Paramount Records PAS 6080_02.jpg
Ivory Joe Hunter I've Always Been Country (Paramount PAS 6080, February 9 1974)

In 2010, the remaining twelve tracks from the 1973 Nashville work appeared on This Is My Country (LocoBop L21-019, October 2010), including Ivory Joe's beautiful version of "It's Still Here."

The person posting on YouTube is likely mistaken, as no other Ivory Joe Hunter release of "It's Still Here" is known. The Delta Records single by Hunter you found on YouTube may actually be the source of his or her confusion.

This particular iteration of the Delta label was based in Louisiana, and founded in late 1967 by a local retail magnate named Quinten McLemore, who lived in Monroe.

It appears he wanted some of his children to have music careers, pushing both his 17 year-old twin daughters and 21 year-old son to release records with his help (see below).

Ivory Joe was living in Monroe and playing the local clubs. Somehow this all led to a single on McLemore’s indie label, likely culled from sessions Hunter did in Houston in April and May 1968 with producer Steve Poncio.

Thanks to that YouTube upload we can see " I'm Looking For A Girl 'Who's Looking For A Boy' " made it to 45 in mid-1968. But note that it’s an advance pressing, with Delta Record’s contact number printed on the label.

680600_Delta Records 00010.png

This is significant as I cannot find any evidence it was released to radio and retail. It’s quite possible McLemore’s label folded, and so Delta 00012 never went past the promo stage. The work with Poncio was not in vain, though. Three singles came out on the Sound Stage 7 label (a Monument subsidiary) between December 1968 and June 1969, although none were successful.

Ivory Joe Hunter " I'm Looking For A Girl 'Who's Looking For A Boy' " (Delta Records 00010, circa June 1968)
Arrangement: up-tempo pop/r&b hybrid.
Advance 45; likely never issued to retail.

Twenty-plus years later, a record company issued fourteen tracks from Ivory Joe's 1968 sessions in Houston.

890600_Home Cooking HCS-112.jpg
Ivory Joe Hunter I’m Coming Down With The Blues (Home Cooking HCS-112, circa June 1989)

And on it was another version of the Delta Records track.

Ivory Joe Hunter "Looking For The Girl" (Houston session, April 1968)
Arrangement: slower tempo, slightly different lyrics.

So there ya go.

:smt023

More McLemore

Here are at least two examples of Quinten trying to further the music career of a couple of his kids. It didn’t work.

670130_GRC 2555.jpg
Ann and Jan McLemore, Twin Refections In Sound By The Mirror Twins (GRC 2555, January 30, 1967)

670202_Delhi Dispatch_p04.png
Delhi Dispatch - Thursday, February 2, 1967
Local paper promotes Ann and Jan’s new album.

671203_Delta 0002_sleeve.jpg

671203_Delta 0002.jpg
Sidney McLemore “Tomb & Cedar Tree” (Delta Records 0002, December 3, 1967)
Sidney’s debut 45 was released exactly 54 years ago.
It did not chart.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

tomogland

Post by tomogland »

Thanks for your great research, John!

Perhaps "It's still here" could be on the flip side of that Delta advance pressing?

The Delta single was posted on youtube by a DJ from Sheffield, England. And the three year old comment regarding "It's still here" was written by another DJ from Sheffield, England. Perhaps it is the same record that has changed hands. I'm trying to get in touch with the two DJs to find out more...

Tom

tomogland

Post by tomogland »

I got a response from the owner of the Delta single " I'm Looking For A Girl 'Who's Looking For A Boy' ". Turns out that song is the B side of that record!

Guess what is the A side?

Yes: It is "It's Still Here" :-)

This is his copy:
https://www.popsike.com/RB-Soul-45-Ivory-Joe-Hunter-Im-Looking-For-A-Girl-Delta-mp3/382342956943.html

You can see on the label that "I'm Looking For A Girl" is the B side.
According to this picture the correct number of the record is DEL 00010 (not 00012)

Does that still make it a June 1968 release, John?

By the way, this is not the same physical copy that the other Sheffield DJ has. So two copies of the single are currently in Sheffield :-)

Tom

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

tomogland wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:47 am
I got a response from the owner of the Delta single " I'm Looking For A Girl 'Who's Looking For A Boy' ". Turns out that song is the B side of that record!

This is his copy:
https://www.popsike.com/RB-Soul-45-Ivory-Joe-Hunter-Im-Looking-For-A-Girl-Delta-mp3/382342956943.html
382342956943.jpg
According to this picture the correct number of the record is DEL 00010 (not 00012)

By the way, this is not the same physical copy that the other Sheffield DJ has. So two copies of the single are currently in Sheffield :-)

Tom

Looks just like the copy in the YouTube upload where I snagged a screen grab.

My dating of Ivory Joe's Delta single B-side is an educated guess, based on a timeline of his known sessions.

"Circa June 1968" is the general time frame when the disc was pressed, not released.

Again -- I cannot find any evidence Delta 00010 ever made it to retail or radio.

If "It's Still Here" was recorded by Hunter prior to the Presley track, it didn't receive a formal copyright until 1973.

All that said, where on the Popsike site do we see "It's Still Here"?

The A-side of Delta 00010 is neither shown nor even mentioned. All you have is what someone said to you in a phone call.

The actual label showing the A-side will confirm the title and publishing is attached to it. We can see the B-side belongs to Millhaven Music, which I believe was Ivory Joe's own company.

Since you contacted the guy, perhaps ask if he can upload to YouTube the A-side. A label scan might be nice, too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

tomogland

Post by tomogland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:46 pm
tomogland wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:47 am

This is his copy:

Tom

Looks just like the copy in the YouTube upload where I snagged a screen grab.

My dating of Ivory Joe's Delta single B-side is an educated guess, based on a timeline of his known sessions.

"Circa June 1968" is the general time frame when the disc was pressed, not released.

Again -- I cannot find any evidence Delta 00010 ever made it to retail or radio.

If "It's Still Here" was recorded by Hunter prior to the Presley track, it didn't receive a formal copyright until 1973.

All that said, where on the Popsike site do we see "It's Still Here"?

The A-side of Delta 00010 is neither shown nor even mentioned. All you have is what someone said to you in a phone call.

The actual label showing the A-side will confirm the title and publishing is attached to it. We can see the B-side belongs to Millhaven Music, which I believe was Ivory Joe's own company.

Since you contacted the guy, perhaps ask if he can upload to YouTube the A-side. A label scan might be nice, too.

The description on the Popsike site does indeed say "Ivory Joe Hunter I'm Looking For A Girl (Who's Looking For A Boy) b/w It's Still Here (Delta)"

This record that was sold on Popsike is the same disc that's on YouTube. I simply added the label picture from Popsike since the details were easier to read than from the screen grab.

And yes, when I talked to the owner, surely I asked if he could post the A side on YouTube. He said he will when he gets the time, in a week or so. :D

Whether or not the single made it to retail or radio, I'm still looking forward to hearing this 1968 version of the song, since I believe that would be the recording that Elvis learnt the song from.

Tom

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

tomogland wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:19 am
The description on the Popsike site does indeed say "Ivory Joe Hunter I'm Looking For A Girl (Who's Looking For A Boy) b/w It's Still Here (Delta)"

This record that was sold on Popsike is the same disc that's on YouTube. I simply added the label picture from Popsike since the details were easier to read than from the screen grab.

And yes, when I talked to the owner, surely I asked if he could post the A side on YouTube. He said he will when he gets the time, in a week or so. :D

Whether or not the single made it to retail or radio, I'm still looking forward to hearing this 1968 version of the song, since I believe that would be the recording that Elvis learnt the song from.

Please do prove me wrong on the disc not reaching stores or the airwaves.

I did some due diligence on your queries. Since you find my research unconvincing, I'd love to see what you can come up with.

As for the auction site, good catch. I missed those three words, but the writing clearly places the song as the B-side. That's odd.

Also, the label scan of the other side of the 45, as I wrote, is just as important as the upload, as it will tell us about the publishing. Is the guy going to share that?

I seriously doubt Elvis heard a 1968 promo disc from an indie label, pressed in Louisiana and left unissued. Unless there's a previously-unknown encounter from back then where Ivory Joe handed the singer a copy.

What remains more probable is that "It's Still Here" was one of the songs that he solicited to the Presley camp in the 1970s.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

tomogland

Post by tomogland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:27 am
tomogland wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:19 am

Please do prove me wrong on the disc not reaching stores or the airwaves.

I did some due diligence on your queries. Since you find my research unconvincing, I'd love to see what you can come up with.

As for the auction site, good catch. I missed those three words, but the writing clearly places the song as the B-side. That's odd.

Also, the label scan of the other side of the 45, as I wrote, is just as important as the upload, as it will tell us about the publishing. Is the guy going to share that?

I seriously doubt Elvis heard a 1968 promo disc from an indie label, pressed in Louisiana and left unissued. Unless there's a previously-unknown encounter from back then where Ivory Joe handed the singer a copy.

What remains more probable is that "It's Still Here" was one of the songs that he solicited to the Presley camp in the 1970s.

I do not find your research unconvincing. Quite the contrary! Great research, as always!

Sounds probable that this record was just a promo. I only know of the two copies existing in Sheffield, England.

Yes, I also doubt that Elvis was in the possession of this obscure single. But I still believe that the actual recording on the single could be the very same recording that Elvis would have been listening to, perhaps on an acetate or a tape reel. That's why I am looking forward to hearing it :-)

I'm sure the owner will share a picture of the label as well. :smt023
Last edited by tomogland on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

samses

Post by samses »

The quote from the 1970 interview “I’m just sitting here in my bedroom with the tape recorder on the bed and the television humming," Ivory Joe said as he began a telephone chat. “But you can bet I’m gonna find my boy Elvis a good tune, yes, sir." points in the direction that Hunter was going through recorded songs for the purpose of bringing something to Elvis. Whether it was his own demo recordings or studio recordings is another question. Whether "It's still here" was one of the songs he taked about at that time is another question.

Most likely Elvis heard a recording of the song before his May 1971 session (demo or studio cut) so the song must have been brought to him. He knew the song when he recorded it and it seems like the "piano segment" of that session was unplanned and spontaneous. It was Elvis' own idea and he had apparently played all the three songs before so many times that he knew them.