Did Billy Joel ever see Elvis in concert ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Re: Did Billy Joel ever see Elvis in concert ?

Post by c. Richer »

What a fantastic photo of Elvis wearing the famous polka dot shirt. Thankyou Swedish for posting it for us all to see. Appreciated !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by c. Richer on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-eye Member banned for life.fa-eye
fa-exclamation-triangle

John Coctostan
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 2 years 6 months

Post by John Coctostan »

Thank you Swedish, a great photo, if not a little inconvenient!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

c. Richer wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:16 am
What a fantastic photo of Elvis wearing the famous polka dot shirt. Thankyou Swedish for posting it for us all to see. Appreciated !

That's not a "polka dot" shirt, it is not "famous," Dylan was not influenced by this obscure photo, and you are wasting bandwidth.

:smt006

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

John Coctostan

Post by John Coctostan »

I think we've certainly established here that Joel was a massive fan of our guy. An interesting titbit not mentioned thus far, is that Ron Tutt played on Joel's massive 1973 album, Piano Man, along with Emory Gordy Jr.

John Coctostan

Post by John Coctostan »

Steve G wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:07 am
Schilling wrote in is book that on the day Elvis died, Billy Joel was in a bar or club and sang a number of Elvis hits at the piano.
Indeed, Billy played a 45min set of Elvis covers at JP's Tavern, the night he learnt of Elvis' death. By all accounts a recording exists......would certainly make great listening!

Apparently Jerry also played Joel's 1973 song "You're My Home" for Elvis. By all accounts Elvis kept the tape with a view to recording the track.

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

Polka dot Bobby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

A Touch Of Gold Lame.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by DEH »

Billy Joel is a big Elvis fan. For someone to not know that shows lack of research and knowledge. Damn. That pic of him at Graceland at Elvis’s piano has been around for years. ::rocks

drjohncarpenter

John Coctostan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:10 am
I think we've certainly established here that Joel was a massive fan of our guy. An interesting titbit not mentioned thus far, is that Ron Tutt played on Joel's massive 1973 album, Piano Man, along with Emory Gordy Jr.

"massive fan"

:D

Yes, whenever Joel talks, it's nonstop Elvis.

"massive 1973 album"

Piano Man peaked at #27 on the "Billboard Top LPs" chart for March 30, 1974.

Three years later, when The Stranger hit retail, it went to #2, and several in his back catalog benefited with new sales, including Piano Man.

This forum is amazing.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Fish
Registered for: 9 years

Post by Fish »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:52 am
John Coctostan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:10 am

"massive fan"

Yes, whenever Joel talks, it's nonstop Elvis.

"massive 1973 album"

Piano Man peaked at #27 on the "Billboard Top LPs" chart for March 30, 1974.

Three years later, when The Stranger hit retail, it went to #2, and several in his back catalog benefited with new sales, including Piano Man.

This forum is amazing.
Boy oh boy, Billy certainly appreciates fifties Elvis and I am sure young Elvis had some sort of impact on Billy's musical direction. But he has always been very vocal on his love for Beatles' music. That music was definitely an all-important musical influence, his guiding star, so to speak. And there are numerous Billy Joel songs in which the Beatles' influence is apparent. A massive Elvis fan? No, not in the real world.

John Coctostan

Post by John Coctostan »

Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:21 am
A massive Elvis fan? No, not in the real world.
I guess that's it then, Fish says he's not, despite evidence to the contrary........care to debunk any polka dot shirt evidence whilst you're here?

This forum really is amazing!

Fish

Post by Fish »

John Coctostan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:24 am
Fish wrote:
I guess that's it then, Fish says he's not, despite evidence to the contrary........care to debunk any polka dot shirt evidence whilst you're here?

Polka dot shirt evidence. You are funny, I will give you that.

Fish

Post by Fish »

John Coctostan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:24 am
Fish wrote:

"Among his earliest influences, Joel cites Beethoven, Chopin and Debussy, along with the great American composers, Copeland, Gershwin and Ellington. His more contemporary influences include Dave Brubeck, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix"

And:
" Billy Joel's musical influences vary across genres and styles. During an interview with Andrew Gold of The New York Times, Joel stated that he "Idolized both of them [Paul McCartney and John Lennon] equally." Apart from deriving his rock 'n' roll style from The Beatles, Joel also took inspiration from the psychedelic rock artist Jimi Hendrix and swing artist Frank Sinatra. Additionally, Joel took influence from Mozart and Beethoven. Unlike the pop and rock songs of his day, Joel's music consisted of a lot more modulations and suspensions. In the same interview, Joel stated that he can "relate to Beethoven" in the sense that, like Beethoven, he wrote instrumental compositions before adding lyrics. In 2001, Joel released Fantasies and Delusions, an album that consists only of instrumental, classical compositions."

Elvis is not even mentioned neither are polka dot shirts. A massive Elvis fan? Not in the real world.

And so it goes...

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

It's possible to admire Mozart, Beatles, etc and also love Elvis.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

c. Richer...that looks more like Donald Trump.

drjohncarpenter

Fish wrote:
Boy oh boy, Billy certainly appreciates fifties Elvis and I am sure young Elvis had some sort of impact on Billy's musical direction. But he has always been very vocal on his love for Beatles' music. That music was definitely an all-important musical influence, his guiding star, so to speak. And there are numerous Billy Joel songs in which the Beatles' influence is apparent. A massive Elvis fan? No, not in the real world.

Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:51 pm
"Among his earliest influences, Joel cites Beethoven, Chopin and Debussy, along with the great American composers, Copeland, Gershwin and Ellington. His more contemporary influences include Dave Brubeck, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix"

And:
" Billy Joel's musical influences vary across genres and styles. During an interview with Andrew Gold of The New York Times, Joel stated that he "Idolized both of them [Paul McCartney and John Lennon] equally." Apart from deriving his rock 'n' roll style from The Beatles, Joel also took inspiration from the psychedelic rock artist Jimi Hendrix and swing artist Frank Sinatra. Additionally, Joel took influence from Mozart and Beethoven. Unlike the pop and rock songs of his day, Joel's music consisted of a lot more modulations and suspensions. In the same interview, Joel stated that he can "relate to Beethoven" in the sense that, like Beethoven, he wrote instrumental compositions before adding lyrics. In 2001, Joel released Fantasies and Delusions, an album that consists only of instrumental, classical compositions."

Elvis is not even mentioned neither are polka dot shirts. A massive Elvis fan? Not in the real world.

And so it goes...

You had to be a big shot, didn't you?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

What I find interesting about the 1957 drawing by a young Jimi Hendrix after witnessing Elvis' show in his hometown, is the list of songs that Jimi saw Elvis perform which he included on the drawing, one of them is " Honey Don't. " He obviously knew his Elvis very well as he is able to remember all the songs performed including " Peace In The Valley. " Must have been quite a show. The interview I once saw of Hendrix' father, he stated that Jimi wore the disc " Houndog " by Elvis out.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

drjohncarpenter

c. Richer wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:49 am
What I find interesting about the 1957 drawing by a young Jimi Hendrix after witnessing Elvis' show in his hometown, is the list of songs that Jimi saw Elvis perform which he included on the drawing, one of them is " Honey Don't. " He obviously knew his Elvis very well as he is able to remember all the songs performed including " Peace In The Valley. " Must have been quite a show. The interview I once saw of Hendrix' father, he stated that Jimi wore the disc " Houndog " by Elvis out.

It's not a list of the songs Elvis did in Seattle in September 1957, but personal favorites.

His Elvis love was a little off, actually. "Honey Don't" is a mistake, that's a Carl Perkins Sun single which he confused with Presley.

The big question is, do we have any photos of Jimi Hendrix in the "famous polka dot shirt"?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:21 am
c. Richer wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:49 am
It's not a list of the songs Elvis did in Seattle in September 1957, but personal favorites.
I got excited for a minute seeing My Baby Left Me on there... one can only imagine getting to see/hear Elvis perform that song live in 1957... oooo-weeee!!! :smt023

John Coctostan

Post by John Coctostan »

c. Richer wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:49 pm
It's possible to admire Mozart, Beatles, etc and also love Elvis.
Yes indeed, a point missed by the myopic. It's also possible to be a big fan of an artist, whilst not being overwhelmingly influenced by said artistic.

How many songs did the Piano Man write about the Beatles?

Where the losers lost their sorrow and the lonely left their hearts. - Billy Joel

drjohncarpenter

elvis-fan wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:48 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:21 am

I got excited for a minute seeing My Baby Left Me on there... one can only imagine getting to see/hear Elvis perform that song live in 1957... oooo-weeee!!! :smt023

"My Baby Left Me" was in his set list in 1956, it was the B-side of his May 1956 RCA single.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Elvis knew Billy Joels's future mother in law..

Billy Joel was 7 years old in 1956 and Christie Brinkley, the woman he married was then 3. The lady Elvis knew that same year, Chrtistrine's mom, then married David Brinkley in 1962 and he in turn adopted Christie anf her brother, both children from the previous marriage. Brinkley and her mom were extremlely close.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/22/80/0a/22800ad04a63d426f00ecbbb32993d72.jpg

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/nytimes/name/marjorie-brinkley-obituary?id=25118766
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

This is about as stretched a connection as anyone could make about a celebrity photo.

Elvis actually didn't *know* Marge Brinkley, it was just a moment where he stopped to take a picture.

And Joel actually has enjoyed four mothers-in-law in his life, having been married four times.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:22 am
And Joel actually has enjoyed four mothers-in-law in his life, having been married four times.
correct...and Elvis was only married once because he knew better than to do it again...but he remained faithful to Priscilla always and forever :wink:

drjohncarpenter

sweetangeline wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:55 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:22 am

correct...and Elvis was only married once because he knew better than to do it again...but he remained faithful to Priscilla always and forever :wink:

He remained as faithful to her as he ever did.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.