New madison CD: Legendary Performer volume 9!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike C
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: New madison CD: Legendary Performer volume 9!

Post by Mike C »

ElSandro68 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:02 am
Mike C wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Yes, it was first issued on the Today, Tomorrow and Forever Box and then re-released at the right speed on the Loving You FTD.
Mike C, that's a bit more tricky. Only the ending of take 17 (Today, tomorrow .. Box) was used for the composite movie version, which is a splice of an alternate opening take 2 (L-02), the record version master take 9 (H2WB 0255-09) and the ending of the movie master take 17.

Yes, I stand corrected. Thanks.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

ElSandro68
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by ElSandro68 »

YDKM wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:05 am
Ciscoking wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:25 pm
Well...NO.
I agree!
Quite understandable, since all recent bootlegs concerning studio outtakes were just re-releases of old material. In this case there might be something new - of course it all depends on the sound. The unedited overdubbed version of "Stranger in my own home town" to me alone is worth the money, if it sounds like "Madison" or "Venus". Well, let's wait and see. I hope, I won't regret it, but for me it's a YES.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

ElSandro68 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:02 am
Mike C wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Yes, it was first issued on the Today, Tomorrow and Forever Box and then re-released at the right speed on the Loving You FTD.
Mike C, that's a bit more tricky. Only the ending of take 17 (Today, tomorrow .. Box) was used for the composite movie version, which is a splice of an alternate opening take 2 (L-02), the record version master take 9 (H2WB 0255-09) and the ending of the movie master take 17.

Let's put it this way - we all have the movie version on DVD, and it would be much cheaper to save the soundtrack to a PC and burn a disc than buying the upcoming Madison release. If indeed it is THE Madison, and I'm not convinced.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

TCK_KING
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by TCK_KING »

The latest VENUS releases had very little unreleased takes included but still I enjoyed them very much.
This cd I will consider after reading some reviews,maybe Keith will do one.

splanky

Post by splanky »

A Legendary Performer was a wonderful concept when it was introduced by RCA around 1973.
The most famous artists on RCA had albums released in this series ,like Jim Reeves and Glenn Miller.
As far as I know only Elvis was afforded four different albums. A Legendary Performer , vol.4 was
released in 1983 , just on the brink of the introduction of digitally released music.

When RCA Special Products (BMG Music) in 1989 released vol.1 and 2 on CD they ruined the whole concept
by exchanging live and alternate versions with the previously well-known master takes and even cutting
down on the number of tracks to only ten.
Complete failure ,and like Elvis -fans so often have experienced ,a great opportunity thrown out of the
window.
I have more thoughts on this series , but let me spare that for another day for personal reasons.

Best always,
Splanky

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

The first 4 volumes from RCA served their purpose and acted as a springboard for later releases like the Essential Elvis series which led to the FTD Collectors label. We could all make our own individual volumes of A Legendary Performer series and even reach Volume 91 which I what this Madison release looked like quickly "9!" There really seems to be very little point to this release.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

ElSandro68
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by ElSandro68 »

What bothers me a little bit, is, that some titles have already been released on the previous volumes:

"Fountain of love" (Takes 8, 6) already available on "A legendary performer 6".
"Please don't drag that string around" (Takes 3, 5) already available on "A legendary performer 5".
"Easy come, easy go" (Take 9) already available on "A legendary performer 5".

I mean, if it really was "Madison", that would hardly have happened.

Not even released, and already LISTED ON DISCOGS. .

booklet back.jpg
backside.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

And 2013 by Wonderland Records
elvisPresley-legendary-performer-1.jpg
elvisPresley-legendary-performer-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by colonel snow »

Between 2007 and 2009 Wolf call records released A legendary performer volume 9 till volume 16.
Tracks all taken from previous releases.

see https://elvisoncd.com/

colonel snow

jomies

Post by jomies »

Memphisflash wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:48 pm
JimmyCool wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:46 pm
nico wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:24 pm
The question that actually remains is this really the "Madison" label ????
Of course not! :)
Yes it is! Minus one ... But I lend Dr John's ouija board, he uses it a lot!, And they got the seal of approval from the Crazy Canuck!
Guess that's why it's "Dedicated" :wink:

Michel

::rocks

splanky

Post by splanky »

Colonel Snow ,
you are right in stating that Wolf Call released A Legendary Performer ,vol. 9 - 16 ,starting
in 2007 . But they also released vol. 17 and 18. But since they only issued previously
released material , it is quite appropriate that they do not really belong in the Legendary
Performer series. Madison had a better capacity to release unissued tracks , so I'm glad to
see that it is coming back and starting from where they left off , beginning with vol.9.

The saga of The Legendary Performer is a rather complicated one to put it mildly . You can
easily count more than 50 releases bearing this title and I'm sure there are even more out
there. RCA had a brilliant concept , but when they stopped manufacturing the series , the
makers of imports grabbed their idea.

Best always,
Splanky

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

splanky wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:43 pm
Colonel Snow ,
you are right in stating that Wolf Call released A Legendary Performer ,vol. 9 - 16 ,starting
in 2007 . But they also released vol. 17 and 18. But since they only issued previously
released material , it is quite appropriate that they do not really belong in the Legendary
Performer series. Madison had a better capacity to release unissued tracks , so I'm glad to
see that it is coming back and starting from where they left off , beginning with vol.9.

The saga of The Legendary Performer is a rather complicated one to put it mildly . You can
easily count more than 50 releases bearing this title and I'm sure there are even more out
there. RCA had a brilliant concept , but when they stopped manufacturing the series , the
makers of imports grabbed their idea.
Thanks Splanky for the addition; these volumes 17 & 18 are not mentioned on the site Elvis on CD.

colonel snow

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Because they are..cdr..iirc

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

splanky

Post by splanky »

I'm so happy to see that Madison is going to continue The Legendary Performer - series.
I understand that a key figure in the Madison team is no longer with us , but still i have
hopes that the rest of the crew will keep on in his spirit. That entails that they are going
to release unissued versions and rare tracks with a twist. I 'm really looking forward to
getting their albums.

Best always,
Splanky

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

splanky wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:32 am
I'm so happy to see that Madison is going to continue The Legendary Performer - series.
I understand that a key figure in the Madison team is no longer with us , but still i have
hopes that the rest of the crew will keep on in his spirit
. That entails that they are going
to release unissued versions and rare tracks with a twist. I 'm really looking forward to
getting their albums.

Hope springs eternal.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jomies

Post by jomies »

Greatest importlabel there is.
Looking forward to receive the CD.

Michel

::rocks

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Just 3 new tracks or so...and some titles have been released on former Volumes of this series by Madison.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

splanky

Post by splanky »

If there are not more than 3 different versions , it is a bit disappointing . But if so , it
only goes to show that new versions are very hard to come by. And "hope springs eternal",
so I expect to be happily surprised when vol. 9 shows up.
I had planned to examine and listen to vols. 18 -35 as released and re-mixed by D.J. Ethan,
but the hot summer weather makes me lazy and I have other commitments that have to
take priority . But I'll definitely return to this thread.

Best always,
Splanky

wigwam
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 2 years 11 months

Post by wigwam »

Ciscoking wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:08 pm
Just 3 new tracks or so...and some titles have been released on former Volumes of this series by Madison.
I dont know what is worse……..(taking into account that its getting harder/almost impossible for getting unreleased material by import releases), 3 or so unreleased tracks by an import label, or increasing errors by an official label(FTD).

But there is an excuse for FTD………small budget. Right.

Im glad i bought this Madison cd. Already gave it a few spins compared to the latest FTD release (Las Vegas 73), only once, as the layers of dust are getting higher and higher on this and many other FTD releases.

drjohncarpenter

wigwam wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:45 am
Ciscoking wrote:
I dont know what is worse……..(taking into account that its getting harder/almost impossible for getting unreleased material by import releases), 3 or so unreleased tracks by an import label, or increasing errors by an official label(FTD).

Im glad i bought this Madison cd. Already gave it a few spins compared to the latest FTD release (Las Vegas 73), only once, as the layers of dust are getting higher and higher on this and many other FTD releases.

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Dear god. I was curious about the x rated Only The Strong Survive take, as I'd never heard it before. That wouldn't do the "Elvis is racist" brigade any good would it? Slant eyed letters? Cut your samurai something or other off? Think it's best if that one is never heard again!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

wigwam wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:45 am
Ciscoking wrote:

Enjoy take 10 of Padre..I have time to wait for a FTD release in this case.

drjohncarpenter

DarrylMac wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:36 am
Dear god. I was curious about the x rated Only The Strong Survive take, as I'd never heard it before. That wouldn't do the "Elvis is racist" brigade any good would it? Slant eyed letters? Cut your samurai something or other off? Think it's best if that one is never heard again!

He says "slant-eyed peter" and so on. I've always assumed this private, in-studio banter was a reference to something on a profane "comedy" album. But I also recall that Elvis was in Las Vegas during a three-week break between the January and February 1969 sessions at American Sound. He may've seen or heard such material while there. It's doesn't hold up well, listening years later to our "import" discs of the session outtakes.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

There's things on some of these CDs, both live and in the studio, that make me cringe. We've all said things that we shouldn't have said at one time or another. When you're being recorded, it's probably a good thing to act as though the mic is on and the tape is rolling at all times.

On a side note, look up Thom Brennaman sometime. I was watching that game and told my wife that this would be his last game as an announcer for the Cincinnati Reds. I was wrong, as they didn't even let him finish the game.

Regardless, Elvis was the greatest entertainer I've ever seen when he was at the top of his game. There are times, though, that I listen to a certain CD and think, "please just stop talking and sing."

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:37 pm
There's things on some of these CDs, both live and in the studio, that make me cringe. We've all said things that we shouldn't have said at one time or another. When you're being recorded, it's probably a good thing to act as though the mic is on and the tape is rolling at all times.

On a side note, look up Thom Brennaman sometime. I was watching that game and told my wife that this would be his last game as an announcer for the Cincinnati Reds. I was wrong, as they didn't even let him finish the game.

Regardless, Elvis was the greatest entertainer I've ever seen when he was at the top of his game. There are times, though, that I listen to a certain CD and think, "please just stop talking and sing."

Public TV broadcast going out to hundreds of thousands of people versus private studio session with less than a dozen people around.

Very, very different scenarios.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.