New madison CD: Legendary Performer volume 9!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

New madison CD: Legendary Performer volume 9!

Post by Johnny2523 »

ImageAfter a long break (believe it or not, our last release dated back to 2009), the Madison label is back with a number of new releases to delight you.

One of our favorite projects was the Legendary Performer volumes, and we are continuing with this series with many new volumes in the pipeline. Our plan is to include many unreleased tracks - which is very rare nowadays, as most releases offer nothing new.

Our first release is A Legendary Performer Volume 9 and is dedicated to “The Crazy Canuck”. In this volume we have included a number of unreleased tracks and it comes - as you have come to expect from the Madison label - with a beautiful 16 page booklet.

In this new volume we have included 23 tracks that will offer something for everybody. For example,
‘(Let’s Have A) Party’ has never sounded better (it has been taken from a different source master). We have also included an unreleased alternate take of ‘I’ve Got Confidence’ from 1971, and ‘Stay Away’ (Take 13) appears for the first time in pristine stereo, not the fake stereo that is now popular these days. The same goes for the x-rated version of ‘Only The Strong Survive’, which appears in true stereo for the first time. Also, we have included the previously unreleased take 10 of ‘Padre’. Meanwhile, ‘Stranger In My Own Hometown’ is the unedited, overdubbed, master which comes in great sound and runs for a full 5 minutes, while ‘Promised Land’ (Take 1) is taken from a different mix and sounds so much better – along with many others (see below).

Stay tuned, we are back!

Track listing:

01. Maybellene [Reworked version August 20, 1955]
02. Don't Be Cruel [Live, September 9, 1956]
03. (Let's Have A) Party [a better-quality source master] *
04. Got A Lot O Livin' To Do! [Movie version - composite - from an acetate] *
05. Ain't That Loving You Baby [Fast version - spliced takes 7,8 & 1]
06. Fountain Of Love [Takes 8, 6]
07. The Bullfighter Was A Lady [Takes 2 & 3, Spliced]
08. Please, Don't Drag That String Around [Takes 3, 5]
09. Memphis, Tennessee [1963 - Rejected Master]
10. Easy Come, Easy Go [Take 9]
11. Stay Away [Take 13 in Stereo]*
12. Only The Strong Survive [Take 6 – ‘Dear Georgie’ - X-Rated)*
13. Stranger In My Own Hometown - [Unedited, overdubbed master] *
14. I've Got Confidence [Take 3, From Acetate] *
15. Padre [Take 10] *
16. It's Over [April 10, 1972 Multi-Track from Acetate] *
17. I Got A Feelin' In My Body [Unreleased studio rehearsal with take 1] *
18. Promised Land [Take 1 - X-rated version – Better Mix] *
19. Let Me Be The One [Home Recording, April 1974]
20. Love Coming Down [Undubbed Master]
21. And I Love You So [March 17, 1976 - live edit]
22. My Way [March 27, 1977]
23. For Ol’ Times Sake (Duet with Tony Joe White)

*Previously Unreleased
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Rich_TCB
Registered for: 21 years

Re: New madison CD: Legendary Performer volume 9!

Post by Rich_TCB »

Well this is a surprise.

Reading the wording of the press release, it says they are "continuing with this series with many new volumes in the pipeline". Does this mean they are only releasing "A Legendary Performer" compliations and nothing else? I was wondering if they were going to also release live shows again.

ImageImageImage

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

I don't see anything in there that I either do not have already or am interested in.

However, what could possibly be better than "Dear Georgie" in "true stereo?"

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Happy to see it is dedicated to the "Crazy Canuck"! However, still deciding if I will pick this one up.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

jomies
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by jomies »

Finally Madison is back with some great CDs (now and in the future)!! 10 unreleased tracks, can't wait to play the cd, will be beautiful again as expected from the Madison label. Very much looking forward to it.

Michel.

::rocks

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Christopher »

rca started, madison took over with a concept that looks like: take random bootlegs or ftds; then pick random titles *; finally compose a nice looking booklet (and i agree: it looks nice!).

* (as a selling point, throw in some takes that weren´t released before in that form)
Last edited by Christopher on Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Give a man a fish and he´ll have dinner for a day.
Teach a man how to fish and he´ll have dinner for a lifetime!

(signature borrowed from treasured fecc member lovin´ EP Linda ... until she wants it back)

More important than ever: https://blacklivesmatter.com/

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Christopher wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:52 pm
rca started, madison took over with a concept that looks like: take 23 random bootlegs or ftds; then pick 23 random titles; finally compose a nice looking booklet (and i agree: it looks nice!).
I don't get how it would be a ''take 23 random bootlegs or ftd's'' thou considering there's brand new stuff on here

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Christopher »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:58 pm
Christopher wrote:
rca started, madison took over with a concept that looks like: take 23 random bootlegs or ftds; then pick 23 random titles; finally compose a nice looking booklet (and i agree: it looks nice!).
I don't get how it would be a ''take 23 random bootlegs or ftd's'' thou considering there's brand new stuff on here
it has that hunch to me.
but i completed my last post for you.

Give a man a fish and he´ll have dinner for a day.
Teach a man how to fish and he´ll have dinner for a lifetime!

(signature borrowed from treasured fecc member lovin´ EP Linda ... until she wants it back)

More important than ever: https://blacklivesmatter.com/

DearGeorgie
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DearGeorgie »

Definitely interested in hearing the "new" takes of "I've Got Confidence" and "Padre"

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Great news and I will keep an eye out for this one.....and I hope PL is without the drums error in the intro as on previous Venus version.
Love studio outtakes from the 69-76 period so I hope some of the new ones is not just short FS.
Last edited by LSP-4445 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Drums error? I just listened again. I think what you're hearing is Elvis picking up the microphone.

ImageImageImage

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Rich_TCB wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:25 pm
Drums error? I just listened again. I think what you're hearing is Elvis picking up the microphone.

To me it sounds like distortion just as the drums kick in,no idea what it is but if its gone on the Madison release then great :)

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Well, some of them aren't really unreleased, they are from a "better source" (Party, Promised Land) And Stay Away take 13 has been released, just not in stereo. The same is true for Dear Georgie. The Strange in My Own Home Town unedited overdubbed master is 30 seconds of overdubs previously unreleased. I Got a Feelin In my Body has around 36 seconds of rehearsal unreleased. It's Over is from an acetate, so will probably sound worse than the version released many times before.

So, out of those unreleased tracks, there are new takes of I've Got Confidence and Padre (which Sony will probably release by the end of 2021 anyway), 30 seconds of Stranger in My Own Home Town overdubs, and 36 seconds of rehearsal. Sounds like Madison are back with a whimper than a bang.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:51 pm
Johnny2523 wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Well, some of them aren't really unreleased, they are from a "better source" (Party, Promised Land) And Stay Away take 13 has been released, just not in stereo. The same is true for Dear Georgie. The Strange in My Own Home Town unedited overdubbed master is 30 seconds of overdubs previously unreleased. I Got a Feelin In my Body has around 36 seconds of rehearsal unreleased. It's Over is from an acetate, so will probably sound worse than the version released many times before.

So, out of those unreleased tracks, there are new takes of I've Got Confidence and Padre (which Sony will probably release by the end of 2021 anyway), 30 seconds of Stranger in My Own Home Town overdubs, and 36 seconds of rehearsal. Sounds like Madison are back with a whimper than a bang.
I don't recall Got A Lot O Livin' To Do! [Movie version - composite - from an acetate] ever having been released before?

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Well i will wait for reviews first as i do not see much interest here

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by colonel snow »

Track 12 - Only the strong survive - take 6 (X-rated) is circulating for years and released on various CD's.
For me I've got confidence - take 3 is new.

colonel snow

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:32 pm

After a long break (believe it or not, our last release dated back to 2009), the Madison label is back with a number of new releases to delight you.

One of our favorite projects was the Legendary Performer volumes, and we are continuing with this series with many new volumes in the pipeline. Our plan is to include many unreleased tracks - which is very rare nowadays, as most releases offer nothing new.

Given the post -- "we are continuing with this series" -- are you part of the team?

The person whose vision drove the Madison label passed away in September 2016, not quite sure how "the Madison label is back." Also not quite sure how it can be stated "One of our favorite projects was the Legendary Performer volumes." Was there a message delivered via Ouija Board?

The majority of Madison releases were high-quality, previously unreleased live recordings.

http://www.elvisinnorway.no/madison.html

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

nico
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by nico »

colonel snow wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:00 pm
Track 12 - Only the strong survive - take 6 (X-rated) is circulating for years and released on various CD's.
For me I've got confidence - take 3 is new.

colonel snow
They say that "Stay Away" take 13 is unreleased in stereo, it's not true, it's released on the FTD "Stay away, Joe".
"Only the Strong Survive / Dear Georgie" taken 6 in stereo is new but we had it in superb mono sound on the "American Way Volume 2" series.
"Stranger in my own hometown" this overdubbed is new.
"I've got a confidence" take 3 is new as well as "Padre" take 10.
"I Got A Feelin 'In My Body" just a few seconds of rehearsal we had a few seconds on the FTD "Good Times".
"Promised Land" better mix ??? I listened to Venus it's very good!
For the rest we have it on different FTD and bootlegs support.
The question that actually remains is this really the "Madison" label ????

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

nico wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:24 pm
The question that actually remains is this really the "Madison" label ????
Of course not! :)

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:56 pm
pmp wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Christopher wrote:

I don't recall Got A Lot O Livin' To Do! [Movie version - composite - from an acetate] ever having been released before?
That makes three tracks new to this disc - although I'm pretty sure it was on the series of discs from the 90s that lifted the songs from the films themselves. That's three out of the ten that they have asterisked as unreleased. Hardly a great stat.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:56 pm
pmp wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Christopher wrote:

Yes, it was first issued on the Today, Tomorrow and Forever Box and then re-released at the right speed on the Loving You FTD.
Last edited by Mike C on Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Well...NO.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

ElSandro68
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by ElSandro68 »

nico wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:24 pm
They say that "Stay Away" take 13 is unreleased in stereo, it's not true, it's released on the FTD "Stay away, Joe".
No, it isn't released by FTD. Only count-in & talking, but that's not even listed. Take 13 is only available on import CDs in mono - the best sound is on the "2001 presents 24 Carat Gold" CD.
Last edited by ElSandro68 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElSandro68
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by ElSandro68 »

Mike C wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Yes, it was first issued on the Today, Tomorrow and Forever Box and then re-released at the right speed on the Loving You FTD.
Mike C, that's a bit more tricky. Only the ending of take 17 (Today, tomorrow .. Box) was used for the composite movie version, which is a splice of an alternate opening take 2 (L-02), the record version master take 9 (H2WB 0255-09) and the ending of the movie master take 17.
movie composite.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Ciscoking wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:25 pm
Well...NO.
I agree!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!