10 Films You Have Seen Most Often

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
pmp
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

10 Films You Have Seen Most Often

Post by pmp »

After watching the Jolson Story films a week or two back, I got thinking about the films I have seen most often in my life. As an adult, I'm not really for watching films over and over, although I no doubt did as a teenager (but probably not until about the age of 11 as we didn't have a VCR until then).

So, here's the question: what are 10 films you would say are among those you have watched most often (or, in a more modern film, ones you know will be on that list rather quickly)? These may or may not include kids films that you watched over and over when you were young - that's up to you. From my own point of view I'm not including films that I have only watched a number of times because of work, research or studies.

In no order:

The Jolson Story/Jolson Sings Again (1946/8): I'm counting these as one item as they really do come as a single entity. These were rainy day summer holiday films for me as a teenager, and I have also watched them a number of times since moving out of my parents home twenty-three years ago.

The Student Prince (1954): This fits into the same category as the Jolson movies. Mum loves it, and so I grew to love it, too. I have no idea how often this was put in the VCR back when I lived at home. Possibly a dozen or so. Not up there with the great movies, but certainly a hugely enjoyable one.

The Amazing Mr Blunden (1972): This is a film that popped up on TV when I was a kid and then vanished for a long time. But I managed to get hold of a Germany DVD issue, and now have the blu ray package. It's in my player every Christmas - normally on Christmas Eve.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012): Quite a modern edition, but I don't think that, as an adult, I have watched a film so often within the space of less than a decade (other than the ritual of Mr Blunden). To my mind, an utterly wonderful film, that doesn't put a foot wrong.

Hue and Cry (1947): Another film that can do no wrong. This raucous Ealing comedy about a gang of kids on the trail of criminals is a complete joy, and one of those films that you know will put a smile on your face.

Trick (1999): Trick is a film starring Christian Campbell (Neve's brother) and John Paul Pitoc as two young men who meet at a club and spend the rest of the night trying to find somewhere quiet so they can...have a pleasant time. Low budget but utterly charming.

The Innocents (1961): I have to say I've always been a sucker for story of The Turn of the Screw ever since I first saw this movie and then read the book. Another example of perfect filmmaking, this is the ultimate cinematic ghost story. Deborah Kerr stars.

Young and Innocent (1937): This is a British Hitchcock film that is really great fun, and shows that, even at this early stage, the formula for the great Hitchcock movies was already firmly in place. A superb film that often gets forgotten thanks to the fame of The Thirty-Nine Steps.

Les Roseaux Sauvages (1994): Oddly, the only foreign language film on the list. This was directed by Andre Techine as part of a French anthology TV series, and then released in cinemas in an extended version. I first saw this around 1999 on the long-gone Carlton Cinema channel and fell in love with both the film and its lead actor, Stephane Rideau. A film that I know will give me satisfaction each time I return to it. Another one of those "why isn't it better known" movies.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): This last one took some weighing up - it's certainly the "recent" horror film that I have seen most - although the next two episodes in the series have probably been seen by me just as often. After the third film I tend to give up on my journey through the boxed set!

Honourable mentions: Love Simon (2018), which will no doubt make the list in a year or two's time. A Star Is Born (1954), The Old Dark House (1932), The Uninvited (1944), The Most Dangerous Game (1932), Wings (1927), Lost Horizon (1937), Mr Smith Goes to Washington (1939), Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942).

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: 10 Films You Have Seen Most Often

Post by Johnny2523 »

Back To The Future 1,2,3
Superman The Movie + it's sequels and extended cuts
Superman Returns [Actually i saw this about 6 times in the cinema and after that many more times on DVD and bluray]
Batman
Batman Forever
Mr. Bean The Movie
Indiana Jones [all of them]

i just love all these movies they're all classics except for maybe Superman Returns which i think continued the donner movies quite nicely, it has its faults but it's entertaining and has key things in Superman's character that is not conveyed in the more recent movies. Similar with Batman.. who can resist Jack Nicholson's joker, and Kim Basinger? Mr. Bean i just love it's highly entertaining and as i loved watching the show i loved the movie.
Indiana jones is just great with Harrison Ford being fantastic as indy.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Rocky Dozens of times
Rambo FIRST BLOOD
True grit original
Sons of Katie Elder
Elvis on tour
Elvis thats the way it is
Its a wonderful life
Scrooge with Alistair Sim
SUPERMAN 1978
The empire strikes back
Last edited by keninlincs on Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

most of the Hammer films and Universal horrors at least 30 times apiece

-instagram kenh1964

egilj
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Post by egilj »

Apart from Elvis films and internationally rather unknown Norwegian movies:

1. The dollar triology (Leone)
2. Scenes from a marriage (Bergman)
3. Autumn Sonata (Bergman)
4. Songs from the second floor (Andersson)
5. The Square (Østlund)
6. Contempt (Godard)
7. Fire walk with me (Lynch)
8. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog)
9. Born on the fourth of July (Stone)
10. Midnight in Paris (Allen)

egilj

Post by egilj »

Hotd... I forgot Mystery Train (Jarmusch)!

Troubleman
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Troubleman »

The good, the bad and the ugly
Die hard
Captain America - Civil War
Watchmen
Blade runner
Jaws
The spy who loved me
Apocalypse now
Close encounters of the third kind
JFK

::rocks

Troubleman

brian
Registered for: 16 years

Post by brian »

The Ten Commandments (It's shown on tv a lot)
North by Northwest
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
To kill a Mockingbird
Viva Las Vegas (It's been shown on tv a lot through the years)
True Grit
The Godfather
Back to the future
Die hard
Goodfellas
Scent of a woman
Unforgiven
The Shawshank redemption (This movie is on television a lot.)

brian
Registered for: 16 years

Post by brian »

When I was a kid I would watch the Wizard of Oz a lot. I haven't seen it in years though. I've also seen Rain man with Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise a lot. I forgot to mention them.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by ForeverElvis »

1. Casablanca
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. The Ten Commandments
4. The Adventures of Robin hood
5. They Died With Their Boots On
6. North By Northwest
7. Raiders of The Lost Ark
8. Star Wars
9. Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
10. King Kong (1933)

I didn't include Elvis films.
if i had then Blue Hawaii would be listed. At one time before i was 35 id seen it more than 40 times.
I've not watched it now in more than 25 years.

Always Elvis
Anthony

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by r&b »

Godfather
Goodfellas
Rocky
Vertigo
On The Waterfront
Marty
Jaws
Ocean's 11 (Rat pack version)
Young Frankenstein/Blazing Saddles/High Anxiety
Butch Cassidy/The Sting

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

pmp wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 pm
After watching the Jolson Story films a week or two back, I got thinking about the films I have seen most often in my life. As an adult, I'm not really for watching films over and over, although I no doubt did as a teenager (but probably not until about the age of 11 as we didn't have a VCR until then).

So, here's the question: what are 10 films you would say are among those you have watched most often (or, in a more modern film, ones you know will be on that list rather quickly)? These may or may not include kids films that you watched over and over when you were young - that's up to you. From my own point of view I'm not including films that I have only watched a number of times because of work, research or studies.

In no order:

The Jolson Story/Jolson Sings Again (1946/8): I'm counting these as one item as they really do come as a single entity. These were rainy day summer holiday films for me as a teenager, and I have also watched them a number of times since moving out of my parents home twenty-three years ago.

The Student Prince (1954): This fits into the same category as the Jolson movies. Mum loves it, and so I grew to love it, too. I have no idea how often this was put in the VCR back when I lived at home. Possibly a dozen or so. Not up there with the great movies, but certainly a hugely enjoyable one.

The Amazing Mr Blunden (1972): This is a film that popped up on TV when I was a kid and then vanished for a long time. But I managed to get hold of a Germany DVD issue, and now have the blu ray package. It's in my player every Christmas - normally on Christmas Eve.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012): Quite a modern edition, but I don't think that, as an adult, I have watched a film so often within the space of less than a decade (other than the ritual of Mr Blunden). To my mind, an utterly wonderful film, that doesn't put a foot wrong.

Hue and Cry (1947): Another film that can do no wrong. This raucous Ealing comedy about a gang of kids on the trail of criminals is a complete joy, and one of those films that you know will put a smile on your face.

Trick (1999): Trick is a film starring Christian Campbell (Neve's brother) and John Paul Pitoc as two young men who meet at a club and spend the rest of the night trying to find somewhere quiet so they can...have a pleasant time. Low budget but utterly charming.

The Innocents (1961): I have to say I've always been a sucker for story of The Turn of the Screw ever since I first saw this movie and then read the book. Another example of perfect filmmaking, this is the ultimate cinematic ghost story. Deborah Kerr stars.

Young and Innocent (1937): This is a British Hitchcock film that is really great fun, and shows that, even at this early stage, the formula for the great Hitchcock movies was already firmly in place. A superb film that often gets forgotten thanks to the fame of The Thirty-Nine Steps.

Les Roseaux Sauvages (1994): Oddly, the only foreign language film on the list. This was directed by Andre Techine as part of a French anthology TV series, and then released in cinemas in an extended version. I first saw this around 1999 on the long-gone Carlton Cinema channel and fell in love with both the film and its lead actor, Stephane Rideau. A film that I know will give me satisfaction each time I return to it. Another one of those "why isn't it better known" movies.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): This last one took some weighing up - it's certainly the "recent" horror film that I have seen most - although the next two episodes in the series have probably been seen by me just as often. After the third film I tend to give up on my journey through the boxed set!

Honourable mentions: Love Simon (2018), which will no doubt make the list in a year or two's time. A Star Is Born (1954), The Old Dark House (1932), The Uninvited (1944), The Most Dangerous Game (1932), Wings (1927), Lost Horizon (1937), Mr Smith Goes to Washington (1939), Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942).
I don't watch movies over and over again. If I remember how the story goes, no thank you. The only exception that I can think of, is What A Wonderful Life. Yes, it's a Christmas favourite.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

ForeverElvis wrote:1. Casablanca
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. The Ten Commandments
4. The Adventures of Robin hood
5. They Died With Their Boots On
6. North By Northwest
7. Raiders of The Lost Ark
8. Star Wars
9. Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
10. King Kong (1933)

I didn't include Elvis films.
if i had then Blue Hawaii would be listed. At one time before i was 35 id seen it more than 40 times.
I've not watched it now in more than 25 years.
Repeat viewings for me are often about wanting to revisit a performance, or the film itself to feel as I did when first viewed. Nostalgia I guess.

Some other honorable mentions for me;

West Side Story
South Pacific
Angels With Dirty Faces
Operation Petticoat
The War of The Worlds
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Thing From Another World
The Longest Day
Tarzan and His Mate
To Kill a Mockingbird
Notorious
Rear Window
The Great Escape
Me Smith Goes To Washington
Gunga Din
The Sea Hawk
Gentlemen Jim
The Searchers
How The West Was Won
Die Hard
A Star Is Born (1954)
Young Tom Edison
Jaws
The Magnificent Seven
Nuns on the Run
The Rocketeer

In neither of these lists have I included the James Bond films. I have seen these 24 films multiple times, some more than ten (Goldfinger)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

Ryan73
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Ryan73 »

Cool Hand Luke
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Se7en
Unforgiven
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Star Wars OT
True Romance
Pulp Fiction
There will be Blood
A Shot in the Dark

Topic author
pmp
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by pmp »

Thank you for the responses, folks. I completely forgot about West Side Story, which has been mentioned a couple of times. I haven't seen it of late, though, and perhaps I'll wait now until the new version appears around Christmas.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Entertaining question.

My list:
1. Hable Con Ella - Pedro Almodovar
2. 12 Angry Man (1957)
3. The Turin Horse - Béla Tarr
4. Annie Hall - Woody Allen
5. Breaking the Waves - Lars von Trier
6. Dancer in the Dark - Lars von Trier (with Björk)
7. The Kid - Charlie Chaplin
8. The Great Dictator - Charlie Chaplin
9. Au Hasard Balthasar - Robert Bresson
10. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

And quite a few more...

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

egilj wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:13 am

5. The Square (Østlund)
6. Contempt (Godard)
8. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog)
Fantastic list, like them all!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

egilj

Post by egilj »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:51 pm
egilj wrote:

5. The Square (Østlund)
6. Contempt (Godard)
8. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog)

Your list is great too!

Breaking the Waves made a great impression on me when I saw it at cinema in the mid nineties, and I've seen it a couple of times after that. Trier has made many great movies, I think I like Melancholia best. Annie Hall is one of my favorites of Allen of course, The Great Dictator is out of this world and both me and Elvis like Cuckoo's Nest very much:)

MikeFromHolland

egilj wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:12 pm
MikeFromHolland wrote:
egilj wrote:

5. The Square (Østlund)
6. Contempt (Godard)
8. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog)

Your list is great too!

Breaking the Waves made a great impression on me when I saw it at cinema in the mid nineties, and I've seen it a couple of times after that. Trier has made many great movies, I think I like Melancholia best. Annie Hall is one of my favorites of Allen of course, The Great Dictator is out of this world and both me and Elvis like Cuckoo's Nest very much:)
Have you seen the documentary “Burden of Dreams” (1982), about the making of Herzog’s Fitzcarraldo? I have it on the Werner Herzog collection box from bfi. It’s a fantastic look behind the scenes. It’s over 90 minutes and well worth a look. You’ll appreciate Fitzcarraldo even more if you re-watch it sometime.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

Greystoke wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:22 pm
egilj wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
egilj wrote:

5. The Square (Østlund)
6. Contempt (Godard)
8. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog)

Your list is great too!

I found Melancholia to be flawed, but undoubtedly fascinating, although the Von Trier film I've returned to most often has been Antichrist, which is very compelling, in my opinion. There's a rich subtext here about nature and humanity, with themes of loss, grief and guilt running deep to its core. Visually, it's quite striking, as is Melancholia. Certainly in contrast to the likes of Dogville, for example, and the Dogme 95 movement.

I haven't seen Dogville in years, all the same, although it's a film I watched maybe three more times after seeing it on its original release. Von Trier is provocative, but talented, no doubt. And he's made some fascinating films.

Annie Hall is another film that I hadn't seen in years, being so familiar through repeated viewings, but I watched it again at the start of the year and was completely enthralled. Woody’s track-record has been patchy in recent years, but there's always something interesting in his films. Midnight in Paris, which you also mentioned, is my favourite of his films from the past decade, although I also liked Blue Jasmine. And will take another look at Wonder Wheel.
You may like Manderlay as well, Greystoke. It can be seen as a follow up to Dogville. For me the two belong together.

I introduced my son to Woody Allen this summer. Annie Hall, Manhattan and Midnight in Paris were the stand-outs for him. Personally I enjoyed Zelig quite a lot. It was the first time I saw this one my self. Very funny, so absurd.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

egilj

Post by egilj »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:10 pm
egilj wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
egilj wrote:

5. The Square (Østlund)
6. Contempt (Godard)
8. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog)

Your list is great too!

Have you seen the documentary “Burden of Dreams” (1982), about the making of Herzog’s Fitzcarraldo? I have it on the Werner Herzog collection box from bfi. It’s a fantastic look behind the scenes. It’s over 90 minutes and well worth a look. You’ll appreciate Fitzcarraldo even more if you re-watch it sometime.

I haven't seen Burden of Dreams, but i saw My Best Friend (1999) a couple of years ago. If you have seen it, does this cover it, or should I seek out Burden of Dreams also? Anyway, if it's not already done, someone should make a feature film about making that movie. Really far out!

MikeFromHolland

egilj wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 pm
MikeFromHolland wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:10 pm
egilj wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
egilj wrote:

5. The Square (Østlund)
6. Contempt (Godard)
8. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog)

Your list is great too!

I haven't seen Burden of Dreams, but i saw My Best Friend (1999) a couple of years ago. If you have seen it, does this cover it, or should I seek out Burden of Dreams also? Anyway, if it's not already done, someone should make a feature film about making that movie. Really far out!
I haven’t seen My Best Friend, so I really can’t tell. I would view the dramatized full feature about the making of. Good idea!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

egilj

Post by egilj »

Don't want to see this topic die out, so I thought I should mention that I also forgot about Smokey and the Bandit :) I grew up on it and see it now and then nowadays too. One of my all time favourite feel good films. Jackie Gleason is certainly one of a kind and Jerry Reed song shaped my musical taste.