Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Edwin
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Tennessee Walz

Post by Edwin »

Just this weekend I played the Platinum boxset. And for the first time in 20 years I really listened to Tennessee Walz on cd2.
What a great track! How Elvis sings: "I lost my little darling..." really struck me. For me a little gem I discovered!

drjohncarpenter

Re: Tennessee Walz

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Edwin on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am wrote:Just this weekend I played the Platinum boxset. And for the first time in 20 years I really listened to Tennessee Walz on cd2.
What a great track! How Elvis sings: "I lost my little darling..." really struck me. For me a little gem I discovered!
"Tennessee Waltz" is a beautiful piece of material, Patti Page's "signature" song. It's just a shame Elvis kind of fools around with it during his home demo, including some naughty words. If you have 1999's Home Recordings, also released by RCA, there is an alternate performance from the same reel that runs twice as long.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

drjohncarpenter on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 pm wrote:
Edwin on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am wrote:Just this weekend I played the Platinum boxset. And for the first time in 20 years I really listened to Tennessee Walz on cd2.
"Tennessee Waltz" is a beautiful piece of material, Patti Page's "signature" song. It's just a shame Elvis kind of fools around with it during his home demo, including some naughty words. If you have 1999's Home Recordings, also released by RCA, there is an alternate performance from the same reel that runs twice as long.
You have it the wrong way round.

He "fools around with it" [well, the second half of it] on the Home Recordings release.

The short Platinum version is sung straight.

Stevenson
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by Stevenson »

It's also worth mentioning that audio is more clear on the Platinum set (almost "studio-like") than on the Home Recordings. I remember spending more than my allowance on Home Recording CD (had to borrow some money from a friend). I really liked Tennessee Waltz on it. It's really a shame Elvis didn't record it properly.

BONUS as posted by hli (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97869)

When your heart gets restless - time to move along,
When your heart gets weary - time to sing a song,
But when a dream is calling you
There's just one thing that you can do...

Follow That Dream (1961)

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

The version on "Platinum" is beautiful.
About the sound quality, they used too much noise reduction on "Home Recordings," that's why it sounds so muffled... the whole CD, in fact.

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

It's a lovely recording, and makes one only wish that the whole song had been recorded (or survived) with regards to the Platinum take. One of Elvis's best vocals during the whole of his career.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Patti Page's version is very beautiful indeed. Still, enjoy this one too (for some reason, it is the first version of the song when searching on YouTube);

r&b

Post by r&b »

I like the Sam Cooke version the best. Brought a beat and a lot of soul to it in 1964.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by When In Rome »

JimmyCool wrote:The version on "Platinum" is beautiful.
About the sound quality, they used too much noise reduction on "Home Recordings," that's why it sounds so muffled... the whole CD, in fact.
There was a lot of noise reduction about in those days, I'm glad they go easy on it on most archive stuff nowadays...
As for 'Tennessee Waltz' I love that song, quite partial to Alma Cogan's version myself...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...