60 Years Ago - The Final Ed Sullivan Show.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

60 Years Ago - The Final Ed Sullivan Show.

Post by Davelee »

60 years ago today Elvis give his final Sullivan show at CBS studios in NYC. This show is famously dubbed From The Waist Up.

Elvis had 3 segments on the show that day: the first seg had him singing a melody of three of his big hits Hound Dog, Heartbreak Hotel and Love Me Tender.

Rehearsing the melody:
tumblr_nhs132E1N81qimbk8o1_500.jpg
The second seg he performed full versions of Don't Be Cruel (his biggest hit at that time) Too Much (his latest hit which had only been released two days earlier) and When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again (where Elvis sings over the top of Scotty as he's just about to go into the solo).

Second seg:
Elvis-3rd-appearance-on-Ed-Sullivan-1-6-1957-2.jpg
The final segment he sings Peace In The Valley

Elvis and ED:
edandelvi.jpg
"this is a real decent, fine boy. We've never had a pleasanter experience on our show with a big name than we've had with you... you're thoroughly alright"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Re: 60 Years Ago - The Final Ed Sullivan Show.

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Hey, it's still January 5 here!

So sad Elvis would only appear on network TV three more times before he left us.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Davelee

Post by Davelee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Hey, it's still January 5 here!

So sad Elvis would only appear on network TV three more times before he left us.
It's 7:00am Jan 6th in the morning here.

Yes, it is sad!

drjohncarpenter

Note the astounding performance of "Don't Be Cruel" is the new arrangement he "borrowed" after seeing Billy Ward and His Dominoes do it in Las Vegas the previous November, and it is far and away the best live version we have. The singer in the r&b group who blew Elvis' mind with "Don't Be Cruel" later went solo and had a fantastic career. His name? Jackie Wilson.

Also note the shirt Elvis wears while singing "Don't Be Cruel" was a gift from Natalie Wood, the lame vest made by Barbara Hearn especially for him. He was a crafty fellow.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Davelee

Post by Davelee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Note the astounding performance of "Don't Be Cruel" is the new arrangement he "borrowed" after seeing Billy Ward and His Dominoes do it in Las Vegas the previous November, and it is far and away the best live version we have. The singer in the r&b group who blew Elvis' mind with "Don't Be Cruel" later went solo and had a fantastic career. His name? Jackie Wilson.

Also note the shirt Elvis wears while singing "Don't Be Cruel" was a gift from Natalie Wood, the lame vest made by Barbara Hearn especially for him. He was a crafty fellow.
He knew and liked his women that's for sure - who could blame him, lucky fellow.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jeanno »

I tend to prefer the 2nd show over the other two but boy, does he look cool on the final one with that golden vest! The real king of rock.

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

Davelee wrote:60 years ago today Elvis give his final Sullivan show at CBS studios in NYC. This show is famously dubbed From The Waist Up.

Elvis had 3 segments on the show that day: the first seg had him singing a melody of three of his big hits Hound Dog, Heartbreak Hotel and Love Me Tender.

Rehearsing the melody:
tumblr_nhs132E1N81qimbk8o1_500.jpg
The second seg he performed full versions of Don't Be Cruel (his biggest hit at that time) Too Much (his latest hit which had only been released two days earlier) and When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again (where Elvis sings over the top of Scotty as he's just about to go into the solo).

Second seg:
Elvis-3rd-appearance-on-Ed-Sullivan-1-6-1957-2.jpg
The final segment he sings Peace In The Valley

Elvis and ED:
edandelvi.jpg
"this is a real decent, fine boy. We've never had a pleasanter experience on our show with a big name than we've had with you... you're thoroughly alright"

Allegedly, Colonel Parker insisted that Sullivan make this public statement as penance for earlier attacking Elvis.

emjel
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 17 years

Post by emjel »

All the Sullivan shows were good, but that Don't Be Cruel part is superb. Not sure where that 60 years went though. The music scene has changed so much in those years, and in my opinion, not for the better.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Topic author
Davelee

Post by Davelee »

jeanno wrote:I tend to prefer the 2nd show over the other two but boy, does he look cool on the final one with that golden vest! The real king of rock.
Yeah, I prefer the second one too. Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel are fab, but the Love Me performance is outstanding!

Topic author
Davelee

Post by Davelee »

emjel wrote:All the Sullivan shows were good, but that Don't Be Cruel part is superb. Not sure where that 60 years went though. The music scene has changed so much in those years, and in my opinion, not for the better.
I agree about the music scene over the years, we had some real good bands and singers, but the music scene is more about promotion than talent.

drjohncarpenter

TCBell wrote:
Davelee wrote:"this is a real decent, fine boy. We've never had a pleasanter experience on our show with a big name than we've had with you... you're thoroughly alright"
Allegedly, Colonel Parker insisted that Sullivan make this public statement as penance for earlier attacking Elvis.
I've never read that, and I doubt it's true. No one told Ed Sullivan what to do on his show, and in fact one can clearly see Presley had already won over the TV host towards the end of his second appearance in October 1956. If one watches carefully, as Presley turns and begins to exit stage right after completing "Hound Dog," Sullivan playfully swipes at the back of his head. He genuinely liked the young man.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCBell wrote:
Davelee wrote:"this is a real decent, fine boy. We've never had a pleasanter experience on our show with a big name than we've had with you... you're thoroughly alright"
I've never read that, and I doubt it's true. No one told Ed Sullivan what to do on his show, and in fact one can clearly see Presley had already won over the TV host towards the end of his second appearance in October 1956. If one watches carefully, as Presley turns and begins to exit stage right after completing "Hound Dog," Sullivan playfully swipes at the back of his head. He genuinely liked the young man.
It's in the Dave Marsh book.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jeanno »

Davelee wrote:
jeanno wrote:I tend to prefer the 2nd show over the other two but boy, does he look cool on the final one with that golden vest! The real king of rock.
Yeah, I prefer the second one too. Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel are fab, but the Love Me performance is outstanding!
I agree 200%

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

TCBell wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCBell wrote:
Sullivan had already defended Elvis before the 2nd show (possibly before the 1st, I can't find the date), saying in an interview that he didn't know why Elvis had been picked on during the Milton Berle appearance - Sullivan had found the entire show to be crude and vulgar. It's a back-handed compliment, but still a defence of Elvis and a suggestion his performance in June was no better or worse than the rest of Berle's show.

drjohncarpenter

TCBell wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCBell wrote:
Dave Marsh's Elvis has beautiful art design by the late Bea Feitler to complement his thoughtful, if sometimes over-the-top prose, and I still have my hardback copy. It's been years since I looked at it, though. That misstatement regarding Sullivan is a good example of how much we have learned since 1982. The book was reprinted in paperback by Thunder's Mouth in mid-1997.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

GLAISTER
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by GLAISTER »

We may not have a 'Tiger Man' acetate (yet!) but we do have all three of these glorious shows available in pristine quality and on official DVD and what a joy they are to behold ...

And I agree with all the other posters on here - that 'Don't Be Cruel' is the best, perfect imperfection at its most perfect!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years

Post by jurasic1968 »

I wrote this in other topic, but I like to ask once again: does anyone knows if the Ed Sullivan shows with Elvis were repeated on TV in the 60's? If no, the Elvis new fans only had a chance to see clips of the first show of them in the EOT movie from 1972.

emjel
Registered for: 17 years

Post by emjel »

jurasic1968 wrote:I wrote this in other topic, but I like to ask once again: does anyone knows if the Ed Sullivan shows with Elvis were repeated on TV in the 60's? If no, the Elvis new fans only had a chance to see clips of the first show of them in the EOT movie from 1972.
We never had the Ed Sullivan shows in the UK PERIOD. So first time we had seen anything in reasonable quality was from EOT.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...