Radio Recorders - September 1956

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Mister Moon

Radio Recorders - September 1956

Post by Mister Moon »

There are many photos from the sessions held at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, between September 1 and 3, 1956, but I don't think I've seen this one before.

560900.JPG

drjohncarpenter

Re: Radio Recorders - September 1956

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mister Moon wrote:There are many photos from the sessions held at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, between September 1 and 3, 1956, but I don't think I've seen this one before.

It is from 9-01-1956. Neat find.

It does look a little distorted. Is it a damaged print?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Elton

Post by Elton »

Outstanding find!! :wink:

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

New to me. Thanks MM!!

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

New to me, great photo! Thank you very much!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Thanks a lot for all the responses, especially drjohncarpenter (who gave the exact date of the photo), and hilton22000 (who provided a corrected view).

This photo comes from the personal collection of the late Hugh Jarrett, and I got it from an eBay listing which sells one of his private photo books, which includes several photos, both Elvis and non-Elvis related. All the Elvis related photos seen in that book are well known. But this one, which sits quietly at the foot of one of the pages, looks as the kind of photo that could have been taken by one of the attendants at that session, and certainly not from a professional photographer.

This is the text accompanying the photo book listing on eBay :
YOU'RE BIDDING ON:
A HUGH JARRETT PERSONAL ALBUM WITH PHOTOS FROM THE 1950'S TO THE 1980'S HUGH JARRETT WAS BORN OCT. 11, 1929 IN NASHVILLE, TENN. & DIED MAY 31, 2008. HUGH WAS THE BASS SINGING MEMBER OF THE JORDANAIRES WHO SANG BACKUP FOR
ELVIS PRESLEY IN THE 1950'S. HIS BASS VOICE IS HEARD ON OVER 50 ELVIS RECORDINGS, INCLUDING 10+ MILLION SELLING SONG "DON'T BE CRUEL". HE LEFT THE JORDANAIRES ABOUT THE TIME ELVIS WAS DRAFTED INTO THE ARMY. HE STARRED IN "HEAT OF THE NIGHT" IN 1989 WITH CARROLL O'CONNER & "MURDER IN COWETA COUNTY" IN 1983 WITH JOHNNY CASH. HE ALSO STARRED IN THE CBS TV MINI-SERIES "CHIEFS" IN 1983 WITH WAYNE ROGERS, ELVIS PRESLEY, CHARLTON HESTON, AMONG OTHERS. THIS ALBUM CONTAINS A TOTAL OF 19 PHOTOS, 14 BLACK & WHITE + 5 SMALL COLOR POLAROIDS. THERE ARE 6 "RARE" BLACK & WHITE PHOTOS OF ELVIS, WITH HUGH SINGING BACKUP WITH THE JORDANAIRES IN THE 1950'S. OTHER PHOTOS ARE FROM HIS ACTING CAREER IN THE 1980'S WITH VARIOUS ACTORS SUCH AS CHARLTON HESTON, ANDY GRIFFIN, WAYNE ROGERS, MORGAN FREEMAN, AMONG OTHERS. ALSO INCLUDED ARE PERSONAL NOTES FROM CBS PUBLIC RELATION PERSONNEL FROM THE 1980'S. THIS IS A VERY RARE COLLECTION OF PERSONAL MEMENTOS FROM A VERY TALENTED SINGER & ACTOR. ALBUM MEASURES 11" x 10" CLOSED & IS IN VERY NICE CONDITION! 1ST TIME OFFERED FOR SALE - USA BIDS ONLY - NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING - THANKS FOR LOOKING!
I did the best I could in order to present the photo here in the best possible shape, but I'm no computer wizard and I don't have the software tools for the task, so aside from "cutting it" from its context, and giving it horizontality there was little else I could do, hence the poor quality of the photo.

Here's the link to the pertinent eBay listing. Hopefully some of you will be able to do better than me with the photo or, better yet, purchase the photo book and provide us with a glorious fresh scan of the image. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Elvis-Presley-Photos-From-Hugh-Jarretts-Jordanaires-Personal-Photo-Album-/351212898604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c5eb892c

Thanks again, everybody !

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

Who are the surviving Jordanaires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Jim Dandy wrote:Who are the surviving Jordanaires?
Since the group was formed in 1948, there have been many different singers in The Jordanaires' line-up, so I'm not sure.

But of the five members who worked for Elvis (Stoker, Hawkins, Matthews, Jarrett and, later, Walker), only Ray Walker is still with us :

http://www.jordanaires.net/History/complete.htm

This is the line-up we are mostly acquainted with, thanks to Elvis' 50s TV appearances and movies, not to mention photos :

http://www.jordanaires.net/History/4.htm

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks a lot for all the responses, especially drjohncarpenter (who gave the exact date of the photo), and hilton22000 (who provided a corrected view).

This photo comes from the personal collection of the late Hugh Jarrett, and I got it from an eBay listing which sells one of his private photo books, which includes several photos, both Elvis and non-Elvis related. All the Elvis related photos seen in that book are well known. But this one, which sits quietly at the foot of one of the pages, looks as the kind of photo that could have been taken by one of the attendants at that session, and certainly not from a professional photographer.

This is the text accompanying the photo book listing on eBay :
YOU'RE BIDDING ON:
A HUGH JARRETT PERSONAL ALBUM WITH PHOTOS FROM THE 1950'S TO THE 1980'S HUGH JARRETT WAS BORN OCT. 11, 1929 IN NASHVILLE, TENN. & DIED MAY 31, 2008. HUGH WAS THE BASS SINGING MEMBER OF THE JORDANAIRES WHO SANG BACKUP FOR
ELVIS PRESLEY IN THE 1950'S. HIS BASS VOICE IS HEARD ON OVER 50 ELVIS RECORDINGS, INCLUDING 10+ MILLION SELLING SONG "DON'T BE CRUEL". HE LEFT THE JORDANAIRES ABOUT THE TIME ELVIS WAS DRAFTED INTO THE ARMY. HE STARRED IN "HEAT OF THE NIGHT" IN 1989 WITH CARROLL O'CONNER & "MURDER IN COWETA COUNTY" IN 1983 WITH JOHNNY CASH. HE ALSO STARRED IN THE CBS TV MINI-SERIES "CHIEFS" IN 1983 WITH WAYNE ROGERS, ELVIS PRESLEY, CHARLTON HESTON, AMONG OTHERS. THIS ALBUM CONTAINS A TOTAL OF 19 PHOTOS, 14 BLACK & WHITE + 5 SMALL COLOR POLAROIDS. THERE ARE 6 "RARE" BLACK & WHITE PHOTOS OF ELVIS, WITH HUGH SINGING BACKUP WITH THE JORDANAIRES IN THE 1950'S. OTHER PHOTOS ARE FROM HIS ACTING CAREER IN THE 1980'S WITH VARIOUS ACTORS SUCH AS CHARLTON HESTON, ANDY GRIFFIN, WAYNE ROGERS, MORGAN FREEMAN, AMONG OTHERS. ALSO INCLUDED ARE PERSONAL NOTES FROM CBS PUBLIC RELATION PERSONNEL FROM THE 1980'S. THIS IS A VERY RARE COLLECTION OF PERSONAL MEMENTOS FROM A VERY TALENTED SINGER & ACTOR. ALBUM MEASURES 11" x 10" CLOSED & IS IN VERY NICE CONDITION! 1ST TIME OFFERED FOR SALE - USA BIDS ONLY - NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING - THANKS FOR LOOKING!
I did the best I could in order to present the photo here in the best possible shape, but I'm no computer wizard and I don't have the software tools for the task, so aside from "cutting it" from its context, and giving it horizontality there was little else I could do, hence the poor quality of the photo.

Here's the link to the pertinent eBay listing. Hopefully some of you will be able to do better than me with the photo or, better yet, purchase the photo book and provide us with a glorious fresh scan of the image. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Elvis-Presley-Photos-From-Hugh-Jarretts-Jordanaires-Personal-Photo-Album-/351212898604

Thanks again, everybody !
Too late, it sold yesterday for $102.50 USD.

Below is the entire image page from Hugh "Baby" Jarrett's photo folder. I'm pretty sure they are professional shots, not candids.

560900_Radio Recorders.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Thanks for posting the entire image. I should have done that myself.

Let's hope the buyer is among the FECC membership - and wants to share the stuff ! :)

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

This is from September 2-3, 1956, here's the corect view:

drjohncarpenter

hilton22000 wrote:This is from September 2-3, 1956, here's the corect view:

The larger image is known, and from the third day of sessions, 9-03-1956.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

There is another one from September 2-3, but how do you know which photo is from which day? I don't have any clue - i know only that these aren't from September 1 (becouse of Elvis/musicians clothes)

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Thanks, hilton22000, for posting the corrected view of the entire page.

The photo where he's standing between Stoker and Jarrett has me somewhat puzzled. I know it's always been dated as coming from the September 1956 sessions, but Elvis' appearance is so different from all the other shots I've seen from those dates. Has it even been confirmed that it's indeed from September 1956 ?

Thanks again !

Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Another one I found on Pinterest:
2c385b638eb0b2171ebba86220011755.jpg
(

It's labeled "Elvis & Scotty Moore - September 2, 1956 Radio Recorders - West Hollywood, California". The other picture (Elvis standing between Stoker and Jarrett) is labeled "Sunday 2nd / Monday 3rd September 1956" on the Elvis Australia website, but if Doc says it was taken on the 3rd day of the session we are not supposed to doubt him.

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Gunter wrote:Another one I found on Pinterest:
560900 b.jpg
It's labeled "Elvis & Scotty Moore - September 2, 1956 Radio Recorders - West Hollywood, California". The other picture (Elvis standing between Stoker and Jarrett) is labeled "Sunday 2nd / Monday 3rd September 1956" on the Elvis Australia website, but if Doc says it was taken on the 3rd day of the session we are not supposed to doubt him.
Thanks, Gunter. This one is new to me.

Nice to see another photo from the same series as the one I was referring to, with the same September 1956 date attached.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling

Post by ritchie valens »

If only the session tapes had survived.