Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Elvis - On Location Seattle 1962

Post by davide »

de
Last edited by davide on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

KHoots
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis - On Location Seattle 1962

Post by KHoots »

davide wrote:Any additional dates,info corrections would be great.
Any additional details would be damned-near impossible! Great stuff, again, davide.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Great post ! Thank you @

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

OMG, this post is fan - bloody - tastic. It truly is! davide, you are a great asset around here. Here for you are a series of images. No prizes guessing
what it is, or where it came from :lol:

ImageImage
ImageImage

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Another great post, Davide !

Some fine photos & informative captions !

In what must be one of the silliest-staged musical-scenes ever, where he walks around outside, and his 'neighbours' join in, doing the background vocals on One Broken Heart For Sale, I never realised they were the actual 'Mello Men' !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Excellent Davide

-instagram kenh1964

california boy

Post by california boy »

Davide as always fantastic writing and great photos \ information !
Well done buddy :) ::rocks
Sincerely
Lior :smt006

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Excellent - thanks! 8)

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Tremendous and very much appreciated! Thanks davide!

FRENCHGUY
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by FRENCHGUY »

I express all my thanks to you Davide for your wonderful works !
Maybe someday you'll be concentrating like this on Flaming Star ? That would be so great too !

In the early sixties, Elvis at his best and on the top of the world.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

How the heck did I miss this?? I'll tell ya why! Cos we haven't got a History Section that's why :evil:

David that was SUPERB yet again and I especially love this bit.......

Sue admitted that Elvis kissed her on each of their four dates. “There was nothing wrong about it,” she added. “He was a gentleman at all times.” Her rendezvous with Elvis cost Sue her steady boyfriend, but she thought it was worth it. “I don’t care,” she said. “Elvis was much more interesting.”
I mean which girl wouldn't :wink:

And just look at this new to me photo
specialattheworldsfair2.jpg
My God he was just stunningly beautiful!

I don't know how anybody else is keeping these but I use a little add on from Mozilla Firefox called Fireshot. It's the best I've used so far for taking full page shots like this topic and loses no quality in the photos.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5648

Thank you Davide
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Fantastic stuff! I just watched It Happened At The World's Fair last night on TCM, so this thread is especially cool to read today!

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by pjdlibra »

fantastic i love the information
thanks so much
davide wrote:Image

Tuesday August 28th, 1962 : Elvis reported for pre-production work and settled into his MGM dressing room, which had once belonged to actor Clark Gable.

Thursday August 30 1962 Radio Recorders - Hollywood, California
Happy Ending
Happy Ending (Movie Version)
Relax
Soundtrack recording session had to be postponed due to Elvis having a cold.

Friday August 31st : Elvis had his wardrobe fittings with Sy Devore, Elvis's wardrobe for this movie cost $9,300 and included 10 suits, 2 cashmere coats, 4 sport coats, 15 pairs of slacks, 30 shirts and 55 ties.

September 4th 1962, Elvis leaving the Columbia Inn Motel, Kalama, Washington, about 140 miles south of Seattle. After sleeping through the day, Elvis and his crew continued the drive northward, finally arriving at the New Washington Hotel at about 1 a.m. Even at that hour, about 300 teenagers were there to greet him,ready for the commencement of filming at Century 21 or the more well known name 'The Seattle Worlds Fair' the next morning.Elvis was accompanied by Gene And Billy Smith, Alan Fortas, Red West, Ray Sitton,Joe Esposito,Richard Davis and Jimmy Kingsley.
Additional photos can be found here : http://www.Elvis Past-blog.com/elvis-photos_9.html

President John F. Kennedy opened the fair by telegraph key from his Easter vacation in Florida on April 21, 1962, using the same telegraph key that President Taft had used to open the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in Seattle in 1909. The key triggered a radio telescope in Maine, which picked up an impulse from a star 10,000 light years away. This impulse was directed towards the fairgrounds to start the festivities, which included the release of 2,000 balloons, the ringing of the Space Needle's 538 bell Carillon, 10 Air Force F-102s flying overhead and aerial bombs bursting and raining down tiny flags. Among the celebrities who visited the fair were Attorney General Robert Kennedy and his family, Prince Phillip, Danny Kaye, John Raitt, Sammy Davis Jr., Louis Armstrong, Victor Borge, Lawrence Welk, Johnny Mathis, Maurice Chevalier, John Wayne, Jack Lemmon, Vice President Lyndon Johnson, Carl Reiner, Carol Channing, George Burns, Jonas Salk, Rafer Johnson, Walt Disney, Richard Nixon, Lt. Col. John Glenn and even Lassie.
Don Duncan of the Seattle Times, Elvis was, “tall, dark and with nice bone structure under his thick pancake makeup, strode in black cowboy boots aboard the Red Train at the World’s Fair Monorail terminal.”

Wednesday, September 5th, 1962
The first day of shooting for Elvis in Seattle was on the Monorail, which ran back-and-forth between downtown and the World’s Fair grounds. There were two trains, labeled the Blue Train and the Red Train. For the day the studio took over the Red Train, stretching a black curtain across the center of a car with a large camera in front of it. Studio personnel scurried around, while extras hired at $10 per day stood waiting on the Monorail platform. Twenty-five Seattle police officers provided security.

Elvis took his assigned seat next to Vicky Tiu, his child co-star in the film. Dialog director Jack Mintz spent a few minutes going over Presley’s lines with him, while a makeup assistant buffed the star’s fingernails. Finally, the cameras were turned on, and the train pulled out of the station heading downtown.Waiting inside the train were four extras designated for close-up parts. Two of them, Linda Humble and Joan Seller, were Space Needle elevator operators. Humble, 19, also happened to be the current Miss Seattle. The first scene shot featured Miss Humble, who in the script declines Elvis’s offer to take his seat, leaving him to observe her shapely figure as she stands in the moving Monorail car.
Vicky Tiu gets some instruction from the director Norman Taurog as Elvis looks on.

The production number 'They Remind Me Too Much Of You'.

Thursday,September 6th 1962, the amusement ride area, called the Gayway, was closed to the public so that the MGM crew could film there. Once word spread that morning that Elvis would be filming in the area, hundreds of Presley fans and curiosity seekers gathered on the outskirts of the Gayway.
“In one scene during the afternoon, Elvis and little Vicky Tiu walked through a part of the Gayway. Two rides were in operation, with extras on them. In the short time I watched, they ran through the scene five times and still were going when I left. The extras were beginning to look as if the prolonged ride was getting to them.”
In that scene, Elvis and Vicky worked with a chocolate and nut covered ice cream bar and a corn dog on a stick. For each take they were handed fresh ones of each. Jarvis judged that, “Elvis was getting a little tired of the ice-cream-and-hot-dog diet. Vicky seemed to love it.” After finally getting the shot he wanted, director Norman Taurog moved the crew to the Lucky Strike coin toss booth, where Elvis won (in the film) a large stuffed animal for Vicky.
Mrs. Joyce Bucknell, housewife, mother of five, and president of “Our King Elvis Presley Fan Club,” stood nervously near the security line awaiting Presley’s arrival. “He’s everything,” she told Seattle Times reporter Stanton Patty. “In fact, I have a two-month-old son named Elvis. My husband is very broad-minded.” Donna Foltz, 15, from Portland, added, “I think I’ll faint when I see him. He has sex appeal and everything.”
After filming concluded that second day, Elvis and his boys were spotted tossing a football around in the wide enclosed driveway bordered by the fair’s stadium, press center, and opera house. As some teenagers looked through fences, Elvis kept his black-jumpsuited companions sprinting here and there to catch his passes for more than an hour. “He can really toss ’em,” said a fair guard. “The guy surprises me.

Friday, September 7

18-year-old Sue Wouters of Seattle will never forget. That day, along with hundreds of others, Sue and her mother, a fair secretary, visited the movie set hoping to get a glimpse of Elvis. To her surprise, it was Presley who glimpsed the blond, blue-eyed girl in the crowd. Smiling, he winked at her and came over to introduce himself. Later, one of Elvis’s bodyguards told Sue that Presley wanted her phone number. That night the guard called Sue on Elvis’s behalf to ask for a date. With her mother’s permission, Sue accepted, and several hours later a limousine pulled up in front of her family’s home at 1736 Belmont Avenue.

The chauffer drove her to the New Washington Hotel, where she was ushered up to Elvis's room. They spent the evening in his suite with his traveling companions and their guests. “We watched television, listened to records and drank Cokes,” Sue told Stanton Patty of the P-I. “Elvis doesn’t touch liquor.” She added, “He said, ‘I would love to take you out.’ But he couldn’t because he would just get mobbed by the fans.”

The limousine again came to her house the next two nights, and she had a fourth date with Elvis on Thursday, September 13. They always met in his hotel room. Sue described Elvis as being “handsome and shy.” “He laughs all of the time,” she said, “but he does have a real temper.” Room service meals were pretty basic. “Elvis sent for hamburgers and would eat three or four of them at a time,” she explained.

Sue admitted that Elvis kissed her on each of their four dates. “There was nothing wrong about it,” she added. “He was a gentleman at all times.” Her rendezvous with Elvis cost Sue her steady boyfriend, but she thought it was worth it. “I don’t care,” she said. “Elvis was much more interesting.”
Saturday, September 8,
Elvis spent the day moving back and forth between set locations and his mobile dressing room near the stadium. Saturday’s filming took place at the Electric Utilities Pavilion and the Federal Science Pavilion.
Elvis, riding in an electricab, passed by a crowd of on-lookers, he reached out and touched the hand of fourteen-year-old Yvonne Dohrman, who immediately dropped to the pavement. “She was old cold,” said police Sgt. Dennis Haley, who lifted the girl off the ground. “I handed her to two other policemen for first aid.” After she revived a minute later, Yvonne got up and ran off in the direction Presley had gone.One unidentified girl scrambled past security and climbed into the electricab with Elvis. Sergeant Haley was among the officers who helped remove the girl from the vehicle. “She clasped her hand beneath her chin—and then went cross-eyed as she looked at Presley,” the officer explained.
That same day, Elvis’s co-star, Joan O’Brien, arrived in Seattle. She told a Times reporter that she had given up a sixteen-week appearance in Las Vegas to work with Elvis. That night she rode most of the Gayway rides and went to a twist party.
Sunday 9th September 1962
Cast and Crew rest day

Monday 10th September 1962
Filming was affected due to rain for most of the day. Miss O’Brien was conspicuous in a bright red dress. Hundreds of spectators packed around the Space Needle’s legs and sat on nearby walls as Presley and O’Brien played their parts near the tower’s elevators.
Between scenes Miss O’Brien made it clear that she enjoyed working with her co-star. “I had not met Elvis until I arrived,” she said, “but I feel I have known him all my life. Elvis is a very warm, friendly person. He is courteous to work with and extremely conscientious.” The actress also spent some time learning to operate a bicycle-powered “pedicab” for a scene the next day in which she would pedal Elvis through the fairgrounds.

Tuesday, September 11th. The first scene of the day had him and O’Brien coming down some stairs by the Food Circus and climbing into a Pedicab, which Miss O’Brien then peddled away.

Wednesday, September 12th,Governor Rosellini, director Norman Taurog, Elvis, Col. Parker, and Producer Ted Richmond.
During a mid-day break, Elvis and Colonel Parker met with Washington State Governor Albert D. Rosellini at the downtown Monorail station.Elvis shook the governor’s hand, but Rosellini seemed more overwhelmed by a gift presented by Elvis and the Colonel. It was a huge smoked ham said to be a gift from Tennessee Governor Buford Ellington. “The ham must have had a rough trip from Tennessee,” noted the P-I’s Charles Dunsire, on hand to witness the ceremony. “It had a gouge on one side as though someone had taken a chaw. But it was the spirit of the gift that counted and Rosellini expressed gratitude as he took it from the singer, though he looked a bit bewildered.”

After the ham presentation, Elvis and the governor stepped over to the roped off sidewalk to sign autographs. Rosellini soon backed off, leaving Elvis to cope with the screaming fans, which Dunsire noted, “were too young to vote anyway.”
Asked what happened to the ham, the governor said he had sent it back to the state capital of Olympia. Later the ham was found in the possession of State Patrol Capt. D. D. Daniels, who wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do with it. “It would look awfully good in my refrigerator,” he said.

[Image

Gary Lockwood : I remember playing football one time in Seattle,just a bunch of guys,actors and technicians,who were working on the picture.Slowly a crowd started to gather.I guess they had heard that Elvis was playing,and as the game continued,more and more showed up.When play was over,we had to fight through the crowd of onlookers.They just swarmed all round Elvis.I have to say I was glad it wasn't me!

Thursday, September 13,1962
The day Began with ominous clouds blanketing the Seattle skies.Colonel Parker organizing stacks of Elvis photos outside the National Administration exhibit, the scene of that day’s filming. “We’ve given out more than 12,000 photos of Elvis since last Saturday,” the Colonel announced, adding, “For the younger fans, they’re free. Note Film footage of Colonel Parker handing out these photos can be seen in the movie' This Is Elvis.'
Elvis hadn’t arrived on the set by then, and neither had Joan O’Brien, who was rumored to have a migraine headache. With planned shooting delayed, director Taurog had the World’s Fair band walk through the picture’s closing scene several times. The band marched west from the NASA exhibit, winding through poles that supported hanging baskets of flowers.

Bob Button NASA Public Affairs Officer
I gave up my office so Elvis could use it as a hideout and dressing room. We were in pretty tight quarters there for awhile, sorta got to know each other a little. Elvis was a nice kid, but his entourage of duck-tailed Memphis boys were a pain in the butt, followed him everywhere
I mean, how many guys can you cram into one little office? We had 21 college students as exhibit guides, and I think those six big-haired boys worked their way through all the females that first day. The guides' reward was they got to march right there alongside Elvis during the movie's finale, a big parade down past the Space Needle and all through the fairgrounds.Elvis, who always called me 'sir' (I was 33), was grateful for all that hospitality and gave me his copy of the script, autographed by him and his co-star Joan O'Brien. I sold it via Sotheby's about ten years ago.
Neil Armstrong, X-15 Pilot and Bob Button.

Jimmy Kingsley,Gene Smith,Elvis,Billy Smith,Alan Fortas and Joe Esposito

Elvis signing autographs with Richard Davis on the left of the picture.

Imdb contributer mrsehj-1 comments "We were in the crowd scene in the end, and I was just a baby, My Uncle was part of the security and was in the elevator with Elvis when they went up to the top of the space needle. my sisters memories of Elvis were that he was shorter than she imagined him and had really greasy hair"
Friday, September 14th 1962. Another large crowd was on hand to get a final glimpse of Elvis in Seattle before he left town. Elvis finished his day’s work before the cameras.The 'Happy Ending' production number was shot on location and in the studio.In the finished movie only the start and end are actual location footage with Elvis,with a combination of process/studio and stand in location for the middle section.
Saturday September 15th 1962
Early the next morning, after spending 10 days in Seattle, Elvis and his entourage were back on the road driving south toward Los Angeles.
Elvis is pictured on location with two young stars who stopped their car whilst Elvis and Gary Lockwood were hitch hiking at the start of the movie..The 1962 Imperial convertible can be seen in the background.Location was within the surrounding area of Seattle,with Mount Rainer seen in some live and process shots.It is not clear when these location scenes were shot.
Monday September 17 1962.
Filming resumed at MGM’s Hollywood studios.

Yvonne Craig : "I did two movies with Elvis, and both times not only was he was an absolute joy, but the experience itself was wonderful. He was extremely professional--always on time, knew his lines, and was very much a part of the cast, never pulling rank as the "star.""
Yvonne Craig and Elvis during 'Relax' Production number ,MGM Studios
"Elvis had a droll, dry sense of humor. He was very much aware of his effect on women, but very much a Southern gentleman. The only other person I've seen have that awareness of his own persona is Mick Jagger. He knows down to the flick of an eyelash what his audience expects of him. Elvis had that same sense of what his audience wanted from him, and what he was to women. We had a love scene by a tree. And he said, "You need to stand closer to me, because my fans expect that." I thought, "Ok"
http://yvonnecraig.com/

Elvis is pictured in rehearsal with Red West for a fight scene.The location is on the MGM lot in the trailor set . In the 'How Would You Like To Be' production number the same location can be viewed.
The cast are in the Process studio as Elvis plays cards with Gary Lockwood,Joan O'Brian,and Billy Smith looking on.(above)
Scatter joins in the fun(below)

Joan O'Brian and Elvis in rehearsals around the time the production number 'A World Of Our Own'.

"One Broken Heart For Sale" production number
Elvis, are joined on the MGM lot by 'The Mello Men' Thurl Ravonscoft(bass) Bill Cole(lead tenor),Bill Lee(baritone) and Max Smith(2nd tenor).Guy Raymond who played Barney Thatcher is on the right foreground. Bill Lee pictured below

FTD Soundtrack CD
Dvd,which is in the correct orginal aspect ratio of 2:35:1
Saturday September 22 1962 Radio Recorders - Hollywood, California
I'm Falling In Love Tonight
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
Cotton Candy Land
A World Of Our Own
How Would You Like To Be
One Broken Heart For Sale (Movie Version)
One Broken Heart For Sale
Beyond The Bend
Take Me To The Fair
Wednesday ,October 10th 1962 Ellen Anderson presents Elvis with a Gold Disc for 'Good Luck Charm'

Thursday,November 8, 1962, Elvis's father and Memphis Mayor Loeb visited MGM Studios where the mayor accepted Elvis' annual donation of $50,000 to Memphis charities. Director Norman Taurog and Colonel Tom Parker were also in attendance.

Elvis finished up his work on It Happened At the World’s Fair on friday November 9, 1962, and headed to Las Vegas for some vacation time.
The film premiered in Los Angeles on April 3, 1963, and opened nationwide a week later

http://www.Elvis Past-blog.com/index.html
Behind the scenes footage -Albert Fisher
Black and White behind the scenes footage news footage is present on 'This Is Elvis'
Based on an article by Alan Hanson

Davide

Any additional dates,info corrections would be great.

pjdlibra

Post by pjdlibra »

fantastic i love the information
thanks so much

Tuesday August 28th, 1962 : Elvis reported for pre-production work and settled into his MGM dressing room, which had once belonged to actor Clark Gable.

Thursday August 30 1962 Radio Recorders - Hollywood, California
Happy Ending
Happy Ending (Movie Version)
Relax
Soundtrack recording session had to be postponed due to Elvis having a cold.

Friday August 31st : Elvis had his wardrobe fittings with Sy Devore, Elvis's wardrobe for this movie cost $9,300 and included 10 suits, 2 cashmere coats, 4 sport coats, 15 pairs of slacks, 30 shirts and 55 ties.

September 4th 1962, Elvis leaving the Columbia Inn Motel, Kalama, Washington, about 140 miles south of Seattle. After sleeping through the day, Elvis and his crew continued the drive northward, finally arriving at the New Washington Hotel at about 1 a.m. Even at that hour, about 300 teenagers were there to greet him,ready for the commencement of filming at Century 21 or the more well known name 'The Seattle Worlds Fair' the next morning.Elvis was accompanied by Gene And Billy Smith, Alan Fortas, Red West, Ray Sitton,Joe Esposito,Richard Davis and Jimmy Kingsley.
Additional photos can be found here : http://www.Elvis Past-blog.com/elvis-photos_9.html

President John F. Kennedy opened the fair by telegraph key from his Easter vacation in Florida on April 21, 1962, using the same telegraph key that President Taft had used to open the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in Seattle in 1909. The key triggered a radio telescope in Maine, which picked up an impulse from a star 10,000 light years away. This impulse was directed towards the fairgrounds to start the festivities, which included the release of 2,000 balloons, the ringing of the Space Needle's 538 bell Carillon, 10 Air Force F-102s flying overhead and aerial bombs bursting and raining down tiny flags. Among the celebrities who visited the fair were Attorney General Robert Kennedy and his family, Prince Phillip, Danny Kaye, John Raitt, Sammy Davis Jr., Louis Armstrong, Victor Borge, Lawrence Welk, Johnny Mathis, Maurice Chevalier, John Wayne, Jack Lemmon, Vice President Lyndon Johnson, Carl Reiner, Carol Channing, George Burns, Jonas Salk, Rafer Johnson, Walt Disney, Richard Nixon, Lt. Col. John Glenn and even Lassie.
Don Duncan of the Seattle Times, Elvis was, “tall, dark and with nice bone structure under his thick pancake makeup, strode in black cowboy boots aboard the Red Train at the World’s Fair Monorail terminal.”

Wednesday, September 5th, 1962
The first day of shooting for Elvis in Seattle was on the Monorail, which ran back-and-forth between downtown and the World’s Fair grounds. There were two trains, labeled the Blue Train and the Red Train. For the day the studio took over the Red Train, stretching a black curtain across the center of a car with a large camera in front of it. Studio personnel scurried around, while extras hired at $10 per day stood waiting on the Monorail platform. Twenty-five Seattle police officers provided security.

Elvis took his assigned seat next to Vicky Tiu, his child co-star in the film. Dialog director Jack Mintz spent a few minutes going over Presley’s lines with him, while a makeup assistant buffed the star’s fingernails. Finally, the cameras were turned on, and the train pulled out of the station heading downtown.Waiting inside the train were four extras designated for close-up parts. Two of them, Linda Humble and Joan Seller, were Space Needle elevator operators. Humble, 19, also happened to be the current Miss Seattle. The first scene shot featured Miss Humble, who in the script declines Elvis’s offer to take his seat, leaving him to observe her shapely figure as she stands in the moving Monorail car.
Vicky Tiu gets some instruction from the director Norman Taurog as Elvis looks on.

The production number 'They Remind Me Too Much Of You'.

Thursday,September 6th 1962, the amusement ride area, called the Gayway, was closed to the public so that the MGM crew could film there. Once word spread that morning that Elvis would be filming in the area, hundreds of Presley fans and curiosity seekers gathered on the outskirts of the Gayway.
“In one scene during the afternoon, Elvis and little Vicky Tiu walked through a part of the Gayway. Two rides were in operation, with extras on them. In the short time I watched, they ran through the scene five times and still were going when I left. The extras were beginning to look as if the prolonged ride was getting to them.”
In that scene, Elvis and Vicky worked with a chocolate and nut covered ice cream bar and a corn dog on a stick. For each take they were handed fresh ones of each. Jarvis judged that, “Elvis was getting a little tired of the ice-cream-and-hot-dog diet. Vicky seemed to love it.” After finally getting the shot he wanted, director Norman Taurog moved the crew to the Lucky Strike coin toss booth, where Elvis won (in the film) a large stuffed animal for Vicky.
Mrs. Joyce Bucknell, housewife, mother of five, and president of “Our King Elvis Presley Fan Club,” stood nervously near the security line awaiting Presley’s arrival. “He’s everything,” she told Seattle Times reporter Stanton Patty. “In fact, I have a two-month-old son named Elvis. My husband is very broad-minded.” Donna Foltz, 15, from Portland, added, “I think I’ll faint when I see him. He has sex appeal and everything.”
After filming concluded that second day, Elvis and his boys were spotted tossing a football around in the wide enclosed driveway bordered by the fair’s stadium, press center, and opera house. As some teenagers looked through fences, Elvis kept his black-jumpsuited companions sprinting here and there to catch his passes for more than an hour. “He can really toss ’em,” said a fair guard. “The guy surprises me.

Friday, September 7

18-year-old Sue Wouters of Seattle will never forget. That day, along with hundreds of others, Sue and her mother, a fair secretary, visited the movie set hoping to get a glimpse of Elvis. To her surprise, it was Presley who glimpsed the blond, blue-eyed girl in the crowd. Smiling, he winked at her and came over to introduce himself. Later, one of Elvis’s bodyguards told Sue that Presley wanted her phone number. That night the guard called Sue on Elvis’s behalf to ask for a date. With her mother’s permission, Sue accepted, and several hours later a limousine pulled up in front of her family’s home at 1736 Belmont Avenue.

The chauffer drove her to the New Washington Hotel, where she was ushered up to Elvis's room. They spent the evening in his suite with his traveling companions and their guests. “We watched television, listened to records and drank Cokes,” Sue told Stanton Patty of the P-I. “Elvis doesn’t touch liquor.” She added, “He said, ‘I would love to take you out.’ But he couldn’t because he would just get mobbed by the fans.”

The limousine again came to her house the next two nights, and she had a fourth date with Elvis on Thursday, September 13. They always met in his hotel room. Sue described Elvis as being “handsome and shy.” “He laughs all of the time,” she said, “but he does have a real temper.” Room service meals were pretty basic. “Elvis sent for hamburgers and would eat three or four of them at a time,” she explained.

Saturday, September 8,
Elvis spent the day moving back and forth between set locations and his mobile dressing room near the stadium. Saturday’s filming took place at the Electric Utilities Pavilion and the Federal Science Pavilion.
Elvis, riding in an electricab, passed by a crowd of on-lookers, he reached out and touched the hand of fourteen-year-old Yvonne Dohrman, who immediately dropped to the pavement. “She was old cold,” said police Sgt. Dennis Haley, who lifted the girl off the ground. “I handed her to two other policemen for first aid.” After she revived a minute later, Yvonne got up and ran off in the direction Presley had gone.One unidentified girl scrambled past security and climbed into the electricab with Elvis. Sergeant Haley was among the officers who helped remove the girl from the vehicle. “She clasped her hand beneath her chin—and then went cross-eyed as she looked at Presley,” the officer explained.
That same day, Elvis’s co-star, Joan O’Brien, arrived in Seattle. She told a Times reporter that she had given up a sixteen-week appearance in Las Vegas to work with Elvis. That night she rode most of the Gayway rides and went to a twist party.
Sunday 9th September 1962
Cast and Crew rest day

Monday 10th September 1962
Filming was affected due to rain for most of the day. Miss O’Brien was conspicuous in a bright red dress. Hundreds of spectators packed around the Space Needle’s legs and sat on nearby walls as Presley and O’Brien played their parts near the tower’s elevators.
Between scenes Miss O’Brien made it clear that she enjoyed working with her co-star. “I had not met Elvis until I arrived,” she said, “but I feel I have known him all my life. Elvis is a very warm, friendly person. He is courteous to work with and extremely conscientious.” The actress also spent some time learning to operate a bicycle-powered “pedicab” for a scene the next day in which she would pedal Elvis through the fairgrounds.

Tuesday, September 11th. The first scene of the day had him and O’Brien coming down some stairs by the Food Circus and climbing into a Pedicab, which Miss O’Brien then peddled away.

Wednesday, September 12th,Governor Rosellini, director Norman Taurog, Elvis, Col. Parker, and Producer Ted Richmond.
During a mid-day break, Elvis and Colonel Parker met with Washington State Governor Albert D. Rosellini at the downtown Monorail station.Elvis shook the governor’s hand, but Rosellini seemed more overwhelmed by a gift presented by Elvis and the Colonel. It was a huge smoked ham said to be a gift from Tennessee Governor Buford Ellington. “The ham must have had a rough trip from Tennessee,” noted the P-I’s Charles Dunsire, on hand to witness the ceremony. “It had a gouge on one side as though someone had taken a chaw. But it was the spirit of the gift that counted and Rosellini expressed gratitude as he took it from the singer, though he looked a bit bewildered.”

After the ham presentation, Elvis and the governor stepped over to the roped off sidewalk to sign autographs. Rosellini soon backed off, leaving Elvis to cope with the screaming fans, which Dunsire noted, “were too young to vote anyway.”
Asked what happened to the ham, the governor said he had sent it back to the state capital of Olympia. Later the ham was found in the possession of State Patrol Capt. D. D. Daniels, who wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do with it. “It would look awfully good in my refrigerator,” he said.

[Image

Gary Lockwood : I remember playing football one time in Seattle,just a bunch of guys,actors and technicians,who were working on the picture.Slowly a crowd started to gather.I guess they had heard that Elvis was playing,and as the game continued,more and more showed up.When play was over,we had to fight through the crowd of onlookers.They just swarmed all round Elvis.I have to say I was glad it wasn't me!

Thursday, September 13,1962
The day Began with ominous clouds blanketing the Seattle skies.Colonel Parker organizing stacks of Elvis photos outside the National Administration exhibit, the scene of that day’s filming. “We’ve given out more than 12,000 photos of Elvis since last Saturday,” the Colonel announced, adding, “For the younger fans, they’re free. Note Film footage of Colonel Parker handing out these photos can be seen in the movie' This Is Elvis.'
Elvis hadn’t arrived on the set by then, and neither had Joan O’Brien, who was rumored to have a migraine headache. With planned shooting delayed, director Taurog had the World’s Fair band walk through the picture’s closing scene several times. The band marched west from the NASA exhibit, winding through poles that supported hanging baskets of flowers.

Bob Button NASA Public Affairs Officer
I gave up my office so Elvis could use it as a hideout and dressing room. We were in pretty tight quarters there for awhile, sorta got to know each other a little. Elvis was a nice kid, but his entourage of duck-tailed Memphis boys were a pain in the butt, followed him everywhere
I mean, how many guys can you cram into one little office? We had 21 college students as exhibit guides, and I think those six big-haired boys worked their way through all the females that first day. The guides' reward was they got to march right there alongside Elvis during the movie's finale, a big parade down past the Space Needle and all through the fairgrounds.Elvis, who always called me 'sir' (I was 33), was grateful for all that hospitality and gave me his copy of the script, autographed by him and his co-star Joan O'Brien. I sold it via Sotheby's about ten years ago.
Neil Armstrong, X-15 Pilot and Bob Button.

Jimmy Kingsley,Gene Smith,Elvis,Billy Smith,Alan Fortas and Joe Esposito

Elvis signing autographs with Richard Davis on the left of the picture.

Imdb contributer mrsehj-1 comments "We were in the crowd scene in the end, and I was just a baby, My Uncle was part of the security and was in the elevator with Elvis when they went up to the top of the space needle. my sisters memories of Elvis were that he was shorter than she imagined him and had really greasy hair"
Friday, September 14th 1962. Another large crowd was on hand to get a final glimpse of Elvis in Seattle before he left town. Elvis finished his day’s work before the cameras.The 'Happy Ending' production number was shot on location and in the studio.In the finished movie only the start and end are actual location footage with Elvis,with a combination of process/studio and stand in location for the middle section.
Saturday September 15th 1962
Early the next morning, after spending 10 days in Seattle, Elvis and his entourage were back on the road driving south toward Los Angeles.
Elvis is pictured on location with two young stars who stopped their car whilst Elvis and Gary Lockwood were hitch hiking at the start of the movie..The 1962 Imperial convertible can be seen in the background.Location was within the surrounding area of Seattle,with Mount Rainer seen in some live and process shots.It is not clear when these location scenes were shot.
Monday September 17 1962.
Filming resumed at MGM’s Hollywood studios.

Yvonne Craig : "I did two movies with Elvis, and both times not only was he was an absolute joy, but the experience itself was wonderful. He was extremely professional--always on time, knew his lines, and was very much a part of the cast, never pulling rank as the "star.""
Yvonne Craig and Elvis during 'Relax' Production number ,MGM Studios
"Elvis had a droll, dry sense of humor. He was very much aware of his effect on women, but very much a Southern gentleman. The only other person I've seen have that awareness of his own persona is Mick Jagger. He knows down to the flick of an eyelash what his audience expects of him. Elvis had that same sense of what his audience wanted from him, and what he was to women. We had a love scene by a tree. And he said, "You need to stand closer to me, because my fans expect that." I thought, "Ok"
http://yvonnecraig.com/

Elvis is pictured in rehearsal with Red West for a fight scene.The location is on the MGM lot in the trailor set . In the 'How Would You Like To Be' production number the same location can be viewed.
The cast are in the Process studio as Elvis plays cards with Gary Lockwood,Joan O'Brian,and Billy Smith looking on.(above)
Scatter joins in the fun(below)

Joan O'Brian and Elvis in rehearsals around the time the production number 'A World Of Our Own'.

"One Broken Heart For Sale" production number
Elvis, are joined on the MGM lot by 'The Mello Men' Thurl Ravonscoft(bass) Bill Cole(lead tenor),Bill Lee(baritone) and Max Smith(2nd tenor).Guy Raymond who played Barney Thatcher is on the right foreground. Bill Lee pictured below

FTD Soundtrack CD
Dvd,which is in the correct orginal aspect ratio of 2:35:1
Saturday September 22 1962 Radio Recorders - Hollywood, California
I'm Falling In Love Tonight
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
Cotton Candy Land
A World Of Our Own
How Would You Like To Be
One Broken Heart For Sale (Movie Version)
One Broken Heart For Sale
Beyond The Bend
Take Me To The Fair
Wednesday ,October 10th 1962 Ellen Anderson presents Elvis with a Gold Disc for 'Good Luck Charm'

Thursday,November 8, 1962, Elvis's father and Memphis Mayor Loeb visited MGM Studios where the mayor accepted Elvis' annual donation of $50,000 to Memphis charities. Director Norman Taurog and Colonel Tom Parker were also in attendance.

Elvis finished up his work on It Happened At the World’s Fair on friday November 9, 1962, and headed to Las Vegas for some vacation time.
The film premiered in Los Angeles on April 3, 1963, and opened nationwide a week later

http://www.Elvis Past-blog.com/index.html
Behind the scenes footage -Albert Fisher
Black and White behind the scenes footage news footage is present on 'This Is Elvis'
Based on an article by Alan Hanson

Davide

Any additional dates,info corrections would be great.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Elvis and Joan O'Brian ,September 10th/11th.1962

From the TCM Movie archives

Davide

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Elvis and Joan O'Brian ,September 10th/11th.1962

From the TCM Movie archives

Davide
new one to me ,thanks

-instagram kenh1964

pjdlibra

Post by pjdlibra »

wow this keeps getting better and better
Thanks Davide
PS sorry for the loss of your Dad, I know how ya feel

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

The date is most likely to be either September 10th or 11th 1962

Davide

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Another fantastic post, David. Thanks!

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

greatwesternroad
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by greatwesternroad »

Hi Davide,

thanks a lot for another fantastic post.

In "Day by Day" Guralnick and Jorgensen have Elvis presenting the smoked ham on the final day of shooting, Thursday 13th September. Also if this was the final day of location shooting why was the "Happy Ending" scene filmed on the 14th?
Thanks again and keep up the excellent work

pjdlibra

Post by pjdlibra »

another outstanding read.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Producer Ted Richmond,Elvis and Director Norman Taurog. MGM Studios,Hollywood,
September 17th - November 9th, 1962.

On Location September 15th/Sunday 16th September 1962(Date is speculation at present)

Davide

elvisnorway
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by elvisnorway »

Excellent thread!!!

"Elvis Presley chats with Albert Fisher at The Seattle World's Fair in 1962 during the making of the hit MGM/Presley motion picture: "It Happened At The World's Fair." A DVD of rare color home movies from this productions has now been released by Fisher through the web site: http://www.fairvideo.com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rocker
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by Rocker »

ColinB wrote:Another great post, Davide !

Some fine photos & informative captions !

In what must be one of the silliest-staged musical-scenes ever, where he walks around outside, and his 'neighbours' join in, doing the background vocals on One Broken Heart For Sale, I never realised they were the actual 'Mello Men' !

I think it's funny. The guy sings and all of a sudden these old, totally square looking start singing with him. What a contrast ! Works for me.
I tell you another thing: Imo It Happened..... had the very best beating-scene of any Presley-movie. Absolutely fantastic.

Davide, again fantastic !
But I think Kurt Russell just has to be mentioned:

Well, hello there....

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Here's another one for you, David:

Elvis at the NASA Exhibit in Seattle, September 1962
Photo: James W. Young

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!