Change Of Habit on Location and on set

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

california boy
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Change Of Habit on Location and on set

Post by california boy »

Wonderful !!!!
I would buy also 2 copies if youll print a books about the "behind the Movies" topic :)

Sincerely
Lior :smt006

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Elton »

I belive everyone like these kinda topics Davide, I know I do!
Plus the fact that you do so well at putting these things together for us to see,learn and enjoy!
i always like the bit where ELvis is doing "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" on the piano,when he and Mary are jamming after a busy day of painting!!

Thanks again for your time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

ed40
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by ed40 »

Thank you Davide,

again a great post !!!
Keep up the good work...

Ed

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Elton wrote:I belive everyone like these kinda topics Davide, I know I do!
Plus the fact that you do so well at putting these things together for us to see,learn and enjoy!
i always like the bit where ELvis is doing "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" on the piano,when he and Mary are jamming after a busy day of painting!!

I know I do too. Great topics! Great job putting them together!

Elvis doing "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" with Mary is one of my favorites scenes too.

mrbthebarber
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by mrbthebarber »

STUNNING davide, that shot in front of the car is awesome, would love that in higher res with no writing, great shot.

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Elton wrote:I belive everyone like these kinda topics Davide, I know I do!

I just took another look, Davide and enjoyed this thread all over again. I count three dead links on page ... :?

I love his easy going happy 34-year old look at this time. What a pity he'd not live another full decade.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Davide, I enjoyed this thread so much that I just watched "Change Of Habit." Elvis singing "Rubberneckin" is just fabulous!

"Thank you" for another wonderful post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Superb work as usual, David! Thanks for posting.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by davide »

November 26 1969

Davide

OnTourCam
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by OnTourCam »

Yeah i agree these are magic

It's amazing with some time and passion what people can archive

I keep looking to see if Elvis On Tour is there 1 day i hope :) :D

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

Photos are all gone, along with an important interview clip that was an image. :(

I hope it will be in a book!

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rjm wrote:Photos are all gone, along with an important interview clip that was an image. :(

rjm
Yeah, it's kind of a bit of wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Very unfortunate, in my view, as this is the site where many questions relating to these photos and topics were answered.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Post by MikeFromHolland »

rjm wrote:Photos are all gone, along with an important interview clip that was an image. :(

rjm
Guess it all has to do with:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland wrote:

rjm

Not quite. More likely a change in priorities. Still, it does feel a bit like being dumped.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

rjm

Not quite. More likely a change in priorities. Still, it does feel a bit like being dumped.
Well, I can imagine he needs money to invest in all those beautiful pictures. A pity though that those pictures are only to be seen by those who can afford it now...

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

rjm

Post by rjm »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

rjm

I'm just mad at myself for not right-clicking on that clipping! And keeping it. It was significant!

It was an unusual joint interview with him and Mary Tyler Moore. They were each asked how they got in the business. His answer is something he never said anywhere else. Ever. It was fascinating.

I just pray it is included in the book. This is my fave eye-candy Elvis film, for one thing, and the information is just fascinating. I will get the book. No question. Oh, and the pictures! I would skip some meals to get it! Yessir!

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

MikeFromHolland

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Not quite. More likely a change in priorities. Still, it does feel a bit like being dumped.
I'm just mad at myself for not right-clicking on that clipping! And keeping it. It was significant!

It was an unusual joint interview with him and Mary Tyler Moore. They were each asked how they got in the business. His answer is something he never said anywhere else. Ever. It was fascinating.

I just pray it is included in the book. This is my fave eye-candy Elvis film, for one thing, and the information is just fascinating. I will get the book. No question. Oh, and the pictures! I would skip some meals to get it! Yessir!
Not sure which book you are referring to, but I archived my own copy of it.

Pittsburgh Press - Sunday, April 6, 1969

Besides the odd revelations about the 6-26-1954 visit to Sun, and Sam's attempt to get Elvis to cut "Without You," we learn Mary leaving the set in tears during one sequence for 1969's "Change of Habit." Director Billy Graham recalls Moore's concern in a later interview:

The little girl had a problem and was mistreated by a doctor on the set?

Well, no, there wasn't a doctor on the set, and I don't think she was actually autistic, but that was what she was playing. And we had gone up to see a doctor up in San Jose who had way of treating autism that he called rage reduction and it was very controversial. Not everybody believed in it. I mean people still believe that there is no treatment for autism. Mary Tyler Moore was very concerned about the way we were doing this. It involved Elvis holding the child in his arms and letting the child struggle because she felt contained, you know, and going into a rage, but he would still hold her and continue to hold her until finally she would quiet down. And this doctor up in San Jose said he had treated many children successfully and had them recover from autism using this technique.

Billy Graham Tried --> Interview with "Change" Director
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53722
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=76447
It's important we have stuff like this on FECC. I do my part. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

No, it was not. But you may enjoy that interview scanned from the original Rolling Stone issue in 1969, including Presley's first-time cover appearance, on FECC:

On the Cover of the Rolling Stone --> Elvis' debut!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66735

Like I said, I do my part. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
No, it was not. But you may enjoy that interview scanned from the original Rolling Stone issue in 1969, including Presley's first-time cover appearance, on FECC:

On the Cover of the Rolling Stone --> Elvis' debut!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66735

Like I said, I do my part. ;-)
Oops, I overlooked this post. Thanks!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

rjm

Post by rjm »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Not quite. More likely a change in priorities. Still, it does feel a bit like being dumped.

Not sure which book you are referring to, but I archived my own copy of it.

Pittsburgh Press - Sunday, April 6, 1969

Besides the odd revelations about the 6-26-1954 visit to Sun, and Sam's attempt to get Elvis to cut "Without You," we learn Mary leaving the set in tears during one sequence for 1969's "Change of Habit." Director Billy Graham recalls Moore's concern in a later interview:

The little girl had a problem and was mistreated by a doctor on the set?

Well, no, there wasn't a doctor on the set, and I don't think she was actually autistic, but that was what she was playing. And we had gone up to see a doctor up in San Jose who had way of treating autism that he called rage reduction and it was very controversial. Not everybody believed in it. I mean people still believe that there is no treatment for autism. Mary Tyler Moore was very concerned about the way we were doing this. It involved Elvis holding the child in his arms and letting the child struggle because she felt contained, you know, and going into a rage, but he would still hold her and continue to hold her until finally she would quiet down. And this doctor up in San Jose said he had treated many children successfully and had them recover from autism using this technique.

Billy Graham Tried --> Interview with "Change" Director
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53722
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=76447
It's important we have stuff like this on FECC. I do my part. ;-)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! It's in my Dropbox! Whew.

As for "which book," I was thinking he was putting together a COH coffee table book. Or hoping. Great eye candy! I would buy it.

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

Aeschylus

MikeFromHolland

James VRoy wrote in this thread, about a post that was missing:
Interestingly enough if you google "I'll never do it,the Colonel won't let me" you'll find it.

So I thought, let's do that now, see what happens.

It took some page turning through the results, but it lead me to:

http://photos.elvispresley.com.au/movies/1969_change_of_habit.html#sthash.6N2oWxdT.dpbs

Most of the photos that were used in this thread, are on that site. Author being mentioned: David English.

I thought, well, now let's google the title of this thread. Again, see what happens.

It let me to "The Boner Family History Site".
https://bonarhistory.wordpress.com/gruenberg/elvis/

For photos see that site, for the photos used are all copy and download protected. Let's respect that. Nice: a photo of Elvis with Glassman’s deli man, Joe Guss. They are standing directly behind the deli counter on the raised platform which is integral to that area of the store.

Elvis Presley in ‘Change of Habit': on location at Glassman’s Market

n the Spring of 1969, Universal Studios chose Glassman’s Market, an open-front establishment on Western Ave in Hollywood, as one of the sites for a new film starring Elvis Presley. Glassman’s, owned and managed by Merrill and Sandra Bonar, was a well-known venue frequented by studio personnel who lived in Hollywood and appreciated Merrill’s fine selection of deli and produce. Merrill reports that he personally signed the contract with Universal, and spent a good part of the morning of the shoot making preparations for the film crew to set up for what was to be Elvis’ last film, Change of Habit. Merrill reports that Universal paid him $500.00 dollars for the day.

Walt Gilmore, the assistant trainee-director explained why Glassman’s was chosen: “Well it is a big deal to stock a set. It is much cheaper to go down and rent a place like that. We only had it for half a day, they didn’t loose a lot of business”. In fact, due to the dwindling movie audience, Universal was downsizing, putting all of its efforts into TV.

In the movie, Glassman’s Market was cast as the Ajax Market, a store in a ghetto neighborhood managed by a rascal who comes into conflict with his store’s patrons. The film included not only Elvis, but four additional actors who went on to build substantial careers: the co-star Mary Tyler Moore (Dick Van Dyke Show; Mary Tyler Moore Show), plus Barbara McNair (The Barbara McNair Show), Ed Asner (Mary Tyler Moore Show; Lou Grant), and Jane Elliot (General Hospital, Knots Landing, Guiding Light).

In addition to Merrill Bonar’s unparallelled experience with Universal Studios’ production of Elvis final movie, Change of Habit, there are two additional situations where family members were connected with the movie studios in Los Angeles.

1) Elvis had been originally contracted to Paramount with permission to be loaned out to additional studios. One of these was MGM whose contracts were handled by Merrill’s cousin, Gene Wyman. In addition, Paramount was part of a corporation which included the Acapulco Towers in Mexico among its holdings. It was at the ‘Towers’ where many a film contract was worked out; and it so happens that Gene was one of the 12 investors in that enterprise. To be sure, one might suspect a connection here. When asked what part Gene played, if any, in bringing Glassman’s Market to the attention of Universal when it was scouting for such a location rather than building a special set for the Ajax Market, Merrill Bonar replied with a solid negative.

2) Merrill reported to Chick Lehrer that, on behalf of several of the ‘higher-ups’ at CBS Studios, he prepared ‘deli’ once a week for delivery to the special executive commissary there. Was it this connection which alerted scouts at Universal in their search for a small market needed for the upcoming film, Change of Habit? Once again, the motion-picture attorney, Gene Wyman, who was Merrill’s cousin, might have been part of this scenario since William Paley, who headed CBS, was a close acquaintance of Gene. And again, Merrill firmly said that neither his nor Gene Wyman’s connection with CBS played any part in Glassman’s Market being the choice of venue for the Ajax Market.

etc.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland wrote:For photos see that site, for the photos used are all copy and download protected. Let's respect that. Nice: a photo of Elvis with Glassman’s deli man, Joe Guss. They are standing directly behind the deli counter on the raised platform which is integral to that area of the store.

Elvis Presley in ‘Change of Habit': on location at Glassman’s Market
See the whole thing here:

Elvis --> Cutting Lox Inside Glassman's Market!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74077

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MikeFromHolland

I think I'll quit. Everything has been done before already :( .

Nice topic you made out of it at the time!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...