King Creole on set and on Location (Revised New Photos)

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Re: King Creole on set and on Location (Revised New Photos)

Post by Elton »

may i add to this great thread and pics....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

1more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by davide »

New one for me,from Ebay- Elvis sat in the director's chair with Carolyn Jones beside him - dressed for the scene in the Blue Shade Club/taxi/school
which puts the date at either 19th/20th of February 1958 or possibly 10th of March 1958 , Paramount Studios,Hollywood.

Davide

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELVIS-PRESLEY-8x10-B-W-PHOTO-RARE-1958-KING-CREOLE_W0QQitemZ260472458257QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item3ca55e4c11#ht_709wt_941
Last edited by davide on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neverending
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Neverending »

a great work davide, thanks for sharing

A limited mind cannot think freely - Bruce Lee

Booker T

Post by Booker T »

Elvis + Carolyn Jones = unholy, nuclear level of cool.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

By Valerie J. Nelson
December 22, 2009

Bob Willoughby dies at 82; still photographer

Bob Willoughby, who created iconic portraits of his muse, Audrey Hepburn, and dozens of other celebrities as one of the first still photographers assigned to capture life on Hollywood film sets, has died. He was 82.Willoughby died Friday of cancer at his home in Vence, France

Bob Willoughby on the set of "Goodbye Mr. Chips," 1968 (John Jay / mptvimages.com)
Gallery of some of his work : http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-bob-willoughby-obit-pictures,0,7989048.photogallery

Sophia Loren meets Elvis Presley at the Paramount Studios cafeteria,or Commissary, while he is filming 'King Creole',in January^1958 Still photographer Bob Willoughby happens to be there and takes memorable shots of Sophia and the King. The Paramount studios cafe was named 'Cafe Continental' which can be seen (upside down) in the first image below.
Elvis Presley & Sophia Loren (1958) According to Bob Willoughby, the photographer who snapped these candids, Loren spotted 23-yr-old Presley eating lunch in the Paramount commissary and decided to go over & introduce herself. Which is to say, she promptly sat in his lap, gave him a kiss, & began mussing his carefully sculpted pompadour. He didn’t mind.

The other day at Paramount Elvis joined a reporter and Sophia Loren at
lunch. The talk got around to the screaming bobbysoxers who drown out Elvis’ singing.

“I bet you wish they would stop screaming” said the beautiful Italian actress.
“Never” answered Elvis. “And I’ll tell you why; they cover up my mistakes. Lots of times when I start reaching for a high note I know I’m not going to make it so I just make some crazy movement and the kids scream and no one knows the difference.” He also makes the movements when the music moves him. “You know” he mused, “the hardest thing in the World is to be yourself. Everytime I’m myself I get criticised for it.” At this Sophia comforted him: “Elvis I think you are a very nice boy” “Thanks a lot!” answered Elvis. “ You know thats the worst thing you can say about me.”

The King of Rock n Roll is one of Miss Lorens most devoted fans. He turned to one reporter: “You know, I’ve seen every picture she’s ever made. She’s only seen one of mine.”

He’d like to team up with the Italian actress when he finishes his two years in the Army. His boss, Hal Wallis even has the script. *

When Sophia Loren plopped herself down in Elvis Presley’s lap at a Hollywood lunch and tousled his famous pompadour. “He was very self-conscious, but when one of the most beautiful women in the world musses your hair, there’s not a lot you can do,” Mr. Willoughby told the London newspaper The People in 1994.

Sophia Loren in the movie 'The Black Orchid' (1958)** which she was shooting at Paramount Studios* at the time she met Elvis. In this photo Sophia Loren can be seen wearing the same clothes as the pictured with Elvis. Jan Shepard who starred in the movie 'King Creole' mentions in an interview with Peter Guralnick that she was wIth Elvis in the Paramount Commissary,and the table next to them were Sophia Loren and Carlo Ponti,who was the producer(and husband at that time) on 'The Black Orchid' . This is the same time that Elvis met Marlon Brando and Cornel Wilde.

The Black Orchid
Paramount Studios, Hollywood, CA (USA)
Los Angeles, CA (USA)

Shooting dates: January – March 1958

Actress Angela Lansbury clad in costume for role in the movie "The Court Jester," eating a hamburger w. actor Basil Rathbone while sitting at lunch in large Paramount Studio commissary during a day of filming.
Date : December 13, 1954,Photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt

**Previous topic which include these same images http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35772&hilit=sofia+loren
*Taken from a newspaper cutting January^ 1958 posted by paulwood.

If the date from the newspaper is accurate then the meeting between Sophia Loren and Elvis would be around the last week of January, 27th - 31st . Sophia Loren and Carlo Ponti didn't fly to Los Angeles until January the 19th 1958,which would indicate that production on 'The Black Orchid' would start around the 27th of January.

Most records seem to indicate that the meeting took place in february,which seems the most likely,though no firm date within that month.
Sophia Loren , Wardrobe department Paramount Studios.

Thanks
Davide

Info from here : http://www.lorenarchives.com/index.html

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by George Smith »

Davide, I think I'm going to set up some kind of "direct debit" of Thank You's because every time you post one of these photo-projects I'm left speechless with gratitude.

Wonderful, just wonderful.

Thank you. Again.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

(1)Image

Colonel Parker in top hat! with Elvis during a break in filming.

(2)Image

March 6th 1958, in the Jackson Park area, Scene 158. Intermittent rain was recorded all day(and part of the previous day) and the unit was eventually wrapped for the New Orleans location work. Note the large umbrella,as Elvis is in conversation with Colonel Tom Parker. Michael Curtiz. can be seen in the background.Another photo from the same time frame(With Elvis not wearing his coat) can be found in the original topic - Photo 13A

From 'Elvis official Collector's edition'

(3)Image

An improved alternative photo of Yumi Shirakawa, Hideko Takamine, Elvis, Yoko Minamida, Misako Uji and Yumiko Hasegawa meeting Elvis (date unknown)The location looks more like a restaurant than a film set,also Elvis doesn't wear the clothes seen in the finished picture. This is an alternative to the previously included photo 29A. Two other images from this time can be found here. http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35753&hilit

(4)Image
Elvis and unknown,Paramount Studios

(5)Image

Location was at Lake Pontchartrain Shack,New Orleans
Two members of the crew attend to Elvis and Carolyn Jones
Date : 4th March 1958.

(6)ImageImage
12th March 1958 Elvis Presley At Going To Army Party
Original caption: 3/13/1958-Hollywood, CA: Army-bound rock 'n roll celebrity Elvis Presley is the center of attention at a going-away party given by cast and crew of "King Creole." Dolores Hart, left, and Valerie Allen help give Elvis a big sendoff. Presley left Hollywood last night for Memphis, TN, to spend some time with his parents before his Army induction date of March 24.

()Image
Trude Forsher with Colonel Parker on the Paramount back-lot with the King Creole promotional ballons (seen below)

()Image

()Image
Posted already by bripet56,included here to keep in context.A great shot of Elvis with Jeanette OConnor*outside Paramount Screening theatre,Paramount Studios .

Carolyn Jones relaxes at home,1958.

"He was an instinctive actor...He was quite bright...he was very intelligent...He was not a punk. He was very elegant, sedate, and refined, and sophisticated."

()Image

I have concluded that singer Blanche Thomas featured in the opening 'Turtles,Berries and Gumbo' as the part of the street vender 'Turtles',and is in the very first shot that we see (after the opening Paramount caption) with baskets on a pole slung over her shoulder.

"Turtles, sweet ole turtles,I've got some turtles for you ladies". This was filmed by the second unit and was shot between 2nd and 4th of January 1958 on location in New Orleans.

This has been discussed previously here : http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49201&hilit=Turtles%2CBerries+Gumbo the track as stated was written by Al Wood & Kay Twomey on Gladys music,but was not sung by Kitty White as I believe that Blanche Thomas provided the vocal for the Turtles sections,and not Fred Winston who played the part of the part of Vic Morrow's brother.

From The Jet Magazine dated 31st July 1958 : Singer Blanche Thomas,who works in white New Orleans night clubs,has a minor role in King Creole,Elvis Presley's new movie.

Blanche Thomas "You Ain't So Much A Much"

Blanche Thomas grew up singing in New Orleans and became known all around the country. She was featured in Chicago and then became a prestigious headliner in Florida before returning home to weekly engagements at Dixieland Hall in New Orleans and eventually singing at Carnegie Hall in New York.

After the opening 'Turtles,Berries and Gumbo' sequence, is the Main Title sequence which has an Instrumental version of 'King Creole' playing whilst a shot of the 'Mississppi River with the sidewheeler pulling away from the dock (shot by the second unit on the 6th of March 1958.)

Scotty Moore : (Walter Scharf) called me one day. I was at the hotel,and he said,"Have Scotty bring his amp and guitar and report to the sound stage. "I thought," Oh crap!..What did I do wrong? So I went out there and he had the whole damn orchestra out there,thirty something violins,the whole deal. We recorded the instrumental heard during the opening credits. It starts off on the soundtrack when I'M doing that bass string on the guitar. It seemed like I had to play it forever. They played all the other instruments,around me during that.

Billboard May 26th 1958, This would have been in reference to a preview screening preceding the publication date - Note how 'Hard Headed Woman' is mentioned (before being cut/Thirty seconds remain) where as 'Danny' had been cut before this screening.

Pasadena,California Preview : May 2nd 1958 (Hard Headed Woman included - see original topic for more details)
Memphis Sneak Preview : June 1st 1958 (Which Elvis attended with his parents)
Los Angeles opening : 2 Jul 1958
New York opening : 3 Jul 1958

Variety review May 28, 1958
"Hal Wallis has attempted to take the curse off Elvis Presley, for those still resistant to his charms, by giving him an extraordinary backing in 'King Creole,' a solid melodrama with plenty of action and color. The Paramount presentation shows the young singer this time as a better-than-fair actor In all fairness, Presley does show himself to be a surprisingly sympathetic and believable actor on occasion.Presley does not modify his performance from previous appearances while singing one of the other of his rock-and-roll numbers,he also does some very pleasant, soft and melodious, singing, unlike most of his better known work.

New York Times ,July 4th 1958
As the lad himself might say, cut my legs off and call me Shorty! Elvis Presley can act,It's a pleasure to find him up to a little more than Bourbon Street shoutin' and wigglin'. Acting is his assignment in this shrewdly upholstered showcase, and he does it, so help us over a picket fence.Matching, or balancing, the tunes are at least seven characterizations that supply the real backbone and tell the story of the picture. Walter Matthau plays the hero's murderous gangster enemy; Dean Jagger, the boy's weak, fumbling father; Jan Shepard, his sister, gently paired off with the hero's boss, Paul Stewart; Dolores Hart, a smitten shop-girl, and Vic Morrow, a nasty young thug. Good as all these people are, it is Miss Jones, as a toughly sensitive fallen gal, who steals the acting honors

Davide

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

A new for me

Carolyn Jones and Elvis, Paramount Studios,Stage 5,Wednesday 19th February 1958,Scene 4. Int. Blue Shade Club where Danny sings 'Steadfast,Loyal and True'.

Davide

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Elton »

davide wrote:A new for me

Carolyn Jones and Elvis, Paramount Studios,Stage 5,Wednesday 19th February 1958,Scene 4. Int. Blue Shade Club where Danny sings 'Steadfast,Loyal and True'.

Davide
Yes new to me as well thaks again davide!

and we all know what he did for an encore!

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

KHAIRUZAN
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by KHAIRUZAN »

Some terrific photos from the set of King Creole.

Now here's an interesting question what did Elvis have in common with actor Anthony Quinn? Well quite a lot and much of it is related to King Creole.

Anthony Quinn was a contract player at Paramount between 1957 and 1960 as was Elvis. Both Anthony Quinn and Elvis were under personal contract to producer Hal Wallis. Quinn had first worked with Wallis at Warner Brothers in the 1940s.

As a result Elvis and Quinn shared several leading ladies. Dolores Hart played Quinn's daughter in "Wild is the Wind". Dolores Hart was also originally cast in the film "Hot Spell" which incidentally was also set in New Orleans and was filmed at the same time as King Creole.

Valerie Allen who was a contract player at Paramount and appears in that photo of Elvis' send off party before he joined the army played Quinn's girlfriend in "Hot Spell".

Carolyn Jones played Quinn's girlfriend in "Last Train From Gun Hill" released the following year.

There are those famous photos of Elvis and Sophia Loren which I believe were taken while Elvis was filming King Creole. Sophia Loren was filming "The Black Orchid" with Quinn at the time.

Apart from these Paramount connections Quinn also starred with Debra Paget in "The Wild River" in 1957 and with Ann Margret in RPM in 1970

KHAIRUZAN

Post by KHAIRUZAN »

Ok I've worked out you have to change these to JPEGS!

KHAIRUZAN

Post by KHAIRUZAN »

I don't think I've ever seen this one before.
There's a similar publicity shot with Carolyn Jones posted in this thread but I'm sure this is the first time I've seen this pose with Dolores Hart

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years

Post by pjdlibra »

another grand post my man

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TONY »

This is just magnificent!!! A massive amount of photos I hadn't seen before from one of my fave movies of all time!! How do you do it, Davide??

fireeyez1
Registered for: 14 years

Post by fireeyez1 »

amazing set of photos ::rocks

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Angeline69
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Angeline69 »

What an interesting reading !!! Thanks.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

A rare alternative to photo 14 in the first post.
Director Michael Curtiz,Producer Hal Wallis and Elvis
Date : Tuesday 11th February /Thursday 20th February/Monday 24th February 1958

Carolyn Jones and Elvis

A full frame version of photo 19

Davide
Last edited by davide on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

one of my favourite threads...ever!

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

TONY

Post by TONY »

King Creole FTD book / cd combo on it's way in august 2010. Will any of these fabulous pics be included? I doubt it.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Johnny 99 wrote:one of my favourite threads...ever!
Thanks - here's two more

Elvis with Dean Jagger

Kitty Dolan and Elvis on the Paramount set, sat on the Hound Dog bike first given to Elvis for the start of 'Loving You' by Hal Wallis.

Davide

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TONY wrote:King Creole FTD book / cd combo on it's way in august 2010. Will any of these fabulous pics be included? I doubt it.
It is almost certain some will appear in the book.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

scottngeorgia

Post by scottngeorgia »

I never realized they filmed that closed to the time in went in the Army. For such a great picture they were on a tight schedule
SNG ::rocks

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

Apparently, Presley had to write to the Army for a deferment!