San Fransico,Oakland,LA - 1957 MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Re: San Fransico,Oakland, LA - 1957

Post by JamesVRoy »

Ted wrote:So did he wear a yellow tie with the Gold Lame on stage?
Davide wrote:Elvis's suit : Gold jacket, Gold tie, Black shirt, Black Trousers, Black shoes as well as a heavy dose of eyeliner.

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: San Fransico,Oakland,LA - 1957

Post by davide »

Here are some addiantional images

28th October 1957, Press Conference ,Los Angeles,CA. Note the Jailhouse Rock promo poster in background. Lamar Fike is seen behind Elvis

28th October 1957, Pan Pacific Auditorium,
Elvis Backstage talking to Cliff Gleaves,with Tom Diskin standing to Elvis' left .Comedian and Emcee Howard Hardin is standing on the right of frame in between Gordon Stoker(Top right) Neil Matthews (bottom right) from The Jordanaires . This image can be seen in full fame/great quality in the JAT 'Elvis In Gold' book.

28th October 1957 ,Pan Pacific Auditorium.
Gordon Stoker (left) Scotty Moore (guitar) Elvis, D.J. Fontana on drums with Bill Black on Bass guitar.

28th October 1957 ,Pan Pacific Auditorium.
Bill Black left of frame and Elvis singing to some 'Dog'.

29th October 1957 , Pan Pacific Auditorium.
Gordon Stoker left of frame , Scotty Moore masked behind Elvis with Hugh Jarrett right of frame.

Davide

From Elvis The Official Collector's Edition
*Thanks James
Last edited by davide on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

davide wrote:
28th October 1957, Pan Pacific Auditorium,
Elvis Backstage talking to Cliff Gleaves,with Tom Diskin standing to Elvis' left.Comedian and Emcee Howard Hardin is standing on the right of frame in between Gordon Stoker(Top right) Neil Matthews (bottom right) from The Jordanaires . This image can be seen in full fame/great quality in the JAT 'Elvis In Gold' book.
That's Bitsy Mott to Elvis' immediate right.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Mott's sister Marie married Colonel Tom Parker.
Bitsy Mott started out as a Football player,here his wife Charlotte describes his life with Elvis.
ImageImageImage

BITSY MOTT
ImageImage

From the book "Florida's First Big League Baseball Players": A Narrative History By Wes Singletary

Davide
Last edited by davide on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

davide wrote:Thanks James,somehow missed Bitsy Motts caption.

From the book "Florida's First Big League Baseball Players": A Narrative History By Wes Singletary

Davide
Cool stuff Davide.
This is from the Florida Memory Project

Bitsy Mott, left, instructor, Ben Podolsky, of Philadelphia, demonstrates hook slide: Tampa, Florida (1948)

Elisha Matthew "Bitsy" Mott was born on June 12, 1918. He played one year of professional baseball with the Philadelphia Phillies in 1945.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

davide -- you think they're doing "All Shook Up" here? Stoker was the second voice on the 45.

Gordon Stoker, Scotty Moore, Elvis, D. J. Fontana, Bill Black - "All Shook Up"
Monday, October 28, 1957
Pan Pacific Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

[quote="drjohncarpenter"]davide -- you think they're doing "All Shook Up" here? Stoker was the second voice on the 45.

Great shout - have revised accordingly

Davide

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

drjohncarpenter wrote:davide -- you think they're doing "All Shook Up" here? Stoker was the second voice on the 45.

Gordon Stoker, Scotty Moore, Elvis, D. J. Fontana, Bill Black - "All Shook Up"
Monday, October 28, 1957
Pan Pacific Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA

'All Shook Up' , from a different angle,sorry about the bad quality,- from the Official Collectors edition. This is also in the JAT 'Elvis In Gold' book in full frame.

Davide

drjohncarpenter

Of all the 1957 shows, this may be the one I most wish we could hear. Apparently, "Jailhouse Rock" brought down the house.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

No new photo's this time,but two interesting accounts from both Los Angeles shows and this cutting from billboard.

Report 1 - October 28th 1957

When Elvis came back here in Los Angeles in 57',to make his Pan Pacific P.A.'s , I had not heard a word about that either,and the same girl who told about the first show had to tell me about the Pan Pacific one! It happened very suddenly as I understand it,Col Parker made these arrangements in a hurry and I really became exited. I asked a different friend this time if she wanted to go and we went to the first show.

There were about 9,000 there that night,and I don't think they stopped screaming even when the preliminary show was on and when someone came out to announce the intermission, a cart was brought out to one side filled with pictures and the folder of the pix of his Jailhouse Rock look,and the crowd gathered around buying them like they were giving away five dollar bills!

The Pan Pacific show was on Oct. 28th and 29th,1957,and was a lot different than the Shrine show in 56'. They had removed all the seats from the front of the stage for about 20 rows back and had 20 policeman standing all around and an announcer came out and threatened to stop the show if anyone stood up or ran down the aisles,so all evening the fans would pop up and down like jack-in-the-box and the Colonel would run down after them. We could see this out of the corners of our eyes as we watched Elvis.

He came out with black trousers,gold jacket and white ruffled shirt and gold tie. His hair dyed jet black and plastered to his head with lacquer and he wasn't carrying the guitar. The newer one was standing against the pedestal near the mike,but he didn't use it much during his show,or the next one. It looked to me as he went out his way NOT to do anything,but he did get down on his knees and put his arms around the neck of a big plaster RCA dog and sung ,"HOUND DOG" to it. Then laid down on his stomach and hung his head and arms over the edge of the stage floor and then rolled over on his back. He got his black trousers very dirty and I heard later that the reason he did not wear the gold ones was because he expected to get down on the floor. I also heard later that he was very sick that night, but he did not act ill. However, his show was not as spontaneous as it had been before. It seemed more practiced and studied..but the papers took him apart anyway. One that is particularly prudish and stuffy had inch high headlines saying "ELVIS PRESLEY WILL HAVE TO CLEAN UP HIS SHOW - OR GO TO JAIL"

Police vice-squad and their cameras will be at the Pan Pacific tonight to take pictures of the show.

Report 2 - October 29th 1957

Already a long line of people were there waiting to get in. Outside on the street a big neon sign said,"ELVIS PRESLEY here tonight in person" . I had a better seat this time,about 12 rows back from the stage,and could see much better. When Elvis came out, he looked very surprised to see all the policeman and the vice-squad with their cameras and he started to laugh and he laughed and laughed. Everytime he'd start saying something he would laugh, then he put his hands up to his eyes to shade them,trying to see out to the crowd and put his fingers in a circle on "You shoulda been here last night!".

Then he looked out into the audience and said,"..Maybe I should start with the National Anthem",
(Hound Dog). He stood in front of the mike,his legs spread wide apart and his hands hanging down at his sides,then he wiggled his fingers quickly and looked over at the vice-squad to see if they saw this. Then he started singing "HEARTBREAK HOTEL", standing still,but halfway through he had just had to move! He knew the policeman wouldn't dare go up on the stage and arrest him or there would be a riot, so he teased them and kept on doing this for a while.

He held his knees together and walked toward the police camera with the rest of his body rigid, and when he sang "TREAT ME NICE", he played the piano. When he was adjusting the mike,he turned to the policemen standing near and said "This is the song I'll sing when you take me to jail"

The police dept. gave him a clean bill of health for both shows as it was mentioned in the papers next day,but I heard that movie star Alann Ladd got up and took his kids in the middle of the show,and Walter Slezak made his kids break every Elvis record they had! One serious note of the show that stands out in my memory- and I will never forget it, is the picture he made when he left the stage of his second show. The steps went down into the dressing room, and the audience could see him as he started down,when he was almost out of sight,he turned,and waved to us,when he did this,I had a very strange feeling that would be the last time we would ever see the real Elvis.."The World's Only Atomic Powered Singer!" here in Los Angeles....

With regards to the first show(28th) the report states "He came out with black trousers,gold jacket and white ruffled shirt and gold tie." The white ruffled shirt must be an error.

Interesting that the second show report(29th) has " when he sang "TREAT ME NICE", he played the piano."

Davide

*Elvis Presley Echoes Of The Past - Ger Rijff

drjohncarpenter

Nice updates, David. Are Reports 1 and 2 originally from L.A. newspapers?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Lennart »

Thanks Davide, and all you others guys who contributed, for a fantastic thread.
Great shots of Elvis both off and on stage.
Imagine a soundboard from one of these shows, wow.

Lennart

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Nice updates, David. Are Reports 1 and 2 originally from L.A. newspapers?
Thanks,it does not actually mention the original source as far as I can tell.

Also contained in the book is a detailed review from Spokane August 30th .
The song list for Spokane was :
Tutti Frutti
Don't Be Cruel
I Got A Woman
Heartbreak Hotel
Trying To Get To You
Old Shep
Blue Suede Shoes
I'm Counting You
Blueberry Hill(played the piano on this one)
Teddy Bear
Loving You
I Love You Because
Rip It Up
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
I Was The One
So Glad Your Mine
Love Me
Hound Dog

Movieland review-unsure which edition.

Elvis Presley finally got around to making his first personal appearance in Hollywood,and he set the blase movie colony squarely on its ear. Booked for only two nights at the Pan-Pacific Auditorium,the capicity crowd of 9200 that showed up the first night got the best show,in fact,with his fans clamoring for more,Elvis gave out with more than usual, with the result that the police department got complaints his performance was too uninhibited and suggestive. It was a somewhat subdued Elvis who opened the following night,again to a capacity crowd. Meanwhile the police department had movie camera's set up to record his performance and determine wether it was vulgar.

A study of the film later showed nothing wrong with the act. Police and ushers who worked both nights,however said that the second nights show was far less frantic,but the crowd seemed to enjoy it just as much.

Elvis was obviously annoyed by the 'censorship' set up by the police cameras. "You shoulda been here last night", he said once in the middle of his act. Another time he thrust his hands straight out,wrists together,suggesting that he was performing despite virtual handcuffs.

Several times he held his thumbs and forefingers over his head as if indicating a halo,but throughout the second show, he smiled and seemed to enjoy a huge joke. Afterwards, Elvis received pals in his big emerald green suite at the Beverly Whiltshire Hotel. Cheeseburgers,cokes and chocolate cake were the only refreshments served.(Elvis dosn't drink and won't allow drinking by his guests) Anne Neyland was the only one of his ex-dates who showed at the party. Yvonne Lime was missing. Anita Wood,the little blonde TV actress he rushed in Memphis, was in town but wasn't invited.That's all over. The affair wound up with Sammy Davis.Jr,Nick Adams and Cliff Gleaves putting on an impromptu show,and Elvis sitting back watching.

A few days later,Elvis and the whole Presley entourage took off on a luxury liner for Honolulu. He's had many offers to play Australia and some thought maybe Hawaii was the first lap of a trip Down Under,but it turned out to be only a vacation.

Actually , there's a secret reason why Presley keeps turning down all that loot in Australia. Elvis is scared to death of flying in commercial aircraft,and a boat trip there would take too long.

Davide

drjohncarpenter

Thanks for the update.
davide wrote:Also contained in the book is a detailed review from Spokane August 30th .

The song list for Spokane was :

Tutti Frutti
Don't Be Cruel
I Got A Woman
Heartbreak Hotel
Trying To Get To You
Old Shep
Blue Suede Shoes
I'm Counting On You
Blueberry Hill (played the piano on this one)
Teddy Bear
Loving You
I Love You Because
Rip It Up
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
I Was The One
So Glad You're Mine
Love Me
Hound Dog
Many aspects to this "detailed review" of the Spokane show are suspect.

--> Eighteen tracks seems far longer than the norm.
--> "Heartbreak Hotel" was almost always the opening song
--> Would Elvis have really tried out "Old Shep" or "I Love You Because" in Aug 1957?
--> Where's "All Shook Up" or "That's When Your Heartaches Begin"?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

It actually states "Elvis performed 18 songs that night and they were" ...and lists them in the that order. The main suspect could be 'Tutti Fruitti' which may well have been used as an instrumental intro as Elvis arrived on stage.

Presley Whips 12,000 Into Near-Hysteria
The Spokesman Review
August 31, 1957
Elvis Presley, his long hair flopping and his sequined gold jacket glittering in the pink footlights, sang 18 songs in the midst of a huge, solid bubble of sound.

'I was the one' (he sang this with so much feeling that everyone was so quiet that Elvis raised his hand and wiggled his thumb to see if anyone was listening and it set off a chain reaction of screams)

For sure 'Heartbreak Hotel' was the opening number and finished with 'Hound Dog'

Spokane Daily Chronicle Sept 6 1957

Davide

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

This photo was listed as Elvis with Anita Wood 1958,but it look to me as if it's from August 27th 1957 from Memphis Central Railway station(page 2 of this topic) and below as example? Anyone agree,as I hadn't seen this one before now.

Davide

bripet56
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by bripet56 »

davide wrote:Image
This photo was listed as Elvis with Anita Wood 1958,but it look to me as if it's from August 27th 1957 from Memphis Central Railway station(page 2 of this topic) and below as example? Anyone agree,as I hadn't seen this one before now.

Davide
Definitely from August 27, 1957.
Never seen this one before either. Too bad it's so small.
Thanks for posting.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

When I was a child I was a dreamer,
I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book
And I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie
So every dream I´ve ever dreamed has come true a hundred times.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Definitely from August 27, 1957.
Never seen this one before either. Too bad it's so small.
Thanks for posting.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk[/quote]

Thanks Brian for the confirmation

Slightly off topic,but mentioned a few post's above.
Newspaper and Ticket from the Spokane August 30th show

Davide

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Here are some images from Juliens Auction which show (top row)Elvis San Francisco backstage,which can be seen at the very start of this topic,though they look to come from a better source,shame about the size.

The centre row,which are new to me,look from the description and suit worn are from the afternoon show San Francisco.October 26, 1957?

Lower row(far left) Photo is from the San Francisco afternoon Press Conference,again new to me.

"A collection of 10 vintage black and white photographs of Elvis Presley taken in 1957 before a press conference and a concert in San Francisco. In October 1957 Presley was engaged on a California tour. He played two concerts in San Francisco and one in Oakland, California. Largest, 4 by 5 inches"

Davide

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by pjdlibra »

fantastic love the history you all are sooo great. Thank you for this treasure.

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by iplayastrat »

Thanks for posting all the awesome pictures.

My escape from society continues...

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Davide

drjohncarpenter

My goodness. Great stuff.

"A recording, a recording, MY KINGDOM for a recording!"

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

bripet56
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by bripet56 »

Here are some images from Juliens Auction which show (top row)Elvis San Francisco backstage,which can be seen at the very start of this topic,though they look to come from a better source,shame about the size.

The centre row,which are new to me,look from the description and suit worn are from the afternoon show San Francisco.October 26, 1957?

Lower row(far left) Photo is from the San Francisco afternoon Press Conference,again new to me.

"A collection of 10 vintage black and white photographs of Elvis Presley taken in 1957 before a press conference and a concert in San Francisco. In October 1957 Presley was engaged on a California tour. He played two concerts in San Francisco and one in Oakland, California. Largest, 4 by 5 inches"Davide
Man, I had totally missed this post.
These are some very interesting photos although they are way too small :lol:

The three photos in the center row are NOT from San Francisco. Just take a look at the background and compare with the one below. And they're not from Los Angeles either.
So what we have here are the first ever onstage photos from Oakland, October 27, 1957.

The third photo in the lower row is from Dec 16, 1957 in Memphis. The photo appeared n the Memphis Press Scimitar on Dec 17, 1957

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

When I was a child I was a dreamer,
I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book
And I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie
So every dream I´ve ever dreamed has come true a hundred times.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

bripet56 wrote:
Thanks Brian for the info regarding the Oakland, October 27 1957, as you mentioned - it's a shame they are not any larger in size.

Davide