San Fransico,Oakland,LA - 1957 MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

E-Cat
Registered for: 21 years

Re: San Fransico 1957

Post by E-Cat »

Some great pictures posted, thanks The Fool and Davide !

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by davide »

Keeping the 1957 theme, here is a nice colour image from the press conference Philadelphia P.A. Sports Arena , either 5th or 6th April 1957.

I have added a couple more images to my previous posts,including 29 October LA images

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

I hope it's OK to highlight that there are more updates, by returning to page one of this thread, you will notice that there are, all the images that I can find from the 28th October 1957, Los Angeles , Pan Pacific Auditorium concert. The reason for doing this, is that the images were split up, from different publications and sites.
I have used a few idents which are.

Elvis's suit : Gold jacket, Gold tie, Black shirt, Black Trousers, Black shoes as well as a heavy dose of eyeliner.
The Big band logo which was used only for the L A dates, J.R. or Jerry Rosen
The front of the stage material
The ceiling/pipes.
The Jailhouse Rock flag,and it's postion.
The Jordanaires clothes.
Scotty , Bill and D.J.'s clothes
Postion and type of foldback speaker
Microphone type.

I'm sure mistakes may have crept in, but overall I hope this is of value to some.
Last edited by davide on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

Some great shots you've added form the pan pacific. I had been planing a page on that place as one of the last that I was going to do but it seems almost anti climactic now. Cool, one less to do.

I had all the Michael ochs archives of the second performance, where are the others from?

peacock74
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by peacock74 »

My god!!, some of the greatest shots in years, thanx ya'll

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

I know this has been covered before,but it is important timeline in Elvis's Live tour of 57,and I hope to add a few details here and there.PT1. The departure on Tuesday ,August 27th 1957 from Memphis Central Railway station for the West Coast. The text is provided here on Brian's great site
http://www.brian56.dk/570827.htm
Along with Elvis and Anita Wood,were both Gladys and Vernon Presley,George Klein, Cliff Gleaves,and Lamar Fike. Elvis's Uncle and Travis Smith were also attendance.

Elvis and Anita Wood make their way through the station.

ImageImage

Elvis,Anita and his group approach the platform. The No 9 above Cliff Greaves's head on the right of the image indicate's track/platform 9,which is where 'The Panama Limited' departs from. It is an Illinois Central overnight sleeper service.The train is due to arrive at 11.15pm ,where an additional car will be attached for an 11.25pm departure for Chicago.

ImageImage
Billy Smith can be seen in the background of these two pictures.(thanks JamesVRoy)

Cliff Gleaves looks to have made a remark to Gladys Presley,It could be said that she doesn't look that amused.It looks to be a warm August evening looking at both Anita's and Elvis's mothers clothing."The Panama Limited" train can be seen in the background of this shot.

ImageImage

These two images are from the same timeframe. They could be aboard the train prior to departure due the the fact that a low ceiling and lamp can be seen behind Elvis's shoulder?

]ImageImage

The Panama limited on it's way to Chicago central(left). The train arrived in chicago early the next morning,the view being something like this for Elvis when he awoke from his sleeping car(right).After a five hour wait , the group transfered to a private pullman car on board the Great Northern Railroad's " Empire Builder " for a 2.00pm departure on wednesday 28th of August 1957 to Seattle.The train stopped on route,one of which was at 'Harve',a great description of the events and the disappointment of the waiting fans when Elvis did not greet them is described in the book Elvis 57 by Alan Hanson.
ImageThe Empire Builder at 'Harve',with Elvis's party in car 312,The date would now be thursday 29th of August 1957.

Elvis's arrival at Great Northern Depot, Spokane , Washington , August 29th 1957 at about 11.20pm.Cliff Greaves is on the left of the picture ,and Gaylene Moos on the right.
There is another great description ,of Elvis's arrival in Spokane that evening from Alan Hanson's website,which I am unable to link at present.
With regards to the Pan Pacific show on the 28th October 1957,I have identified three more photographs from that evening's performance,one of which is a great midshot with his guitar slung over his shoulder,found in a magazine,but I am unclear about permission to reproduce them here at the moment.

Ben

Post by Ben »

What a fantastic post Davide, thank you very much.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Incredible pics!

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Two images that I have updated and included in the original thread.Look at Bill Black's expression in the top image.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

davide wrote:Image

Two images that I have updated and included in the original thread.Look at Bill Black's expression in the top image.
Sweet! I don't think I remember seeing that one before.
Thanks

Elton

Post by Elton »

......and D.J.'s as well! yelling ,singing. both??
Whatever was going on those two,at least were "Into It"!!
Great shot and new to me as well....thaks!!

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

JamesVRoy wrote:

Sweet! I don't think I remember seeing that one before.
Thanks
Incredible pics, incredible thread! The top pic, just 4 guys rocking their asses off! ::rocks

aussierose
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by aussierose »

This thread is incredible, as are all your previous ones, davide. The knowledge of you guys is just incredible. It's always a joy to come to the picture forum and see everyone working together to nut out who's, where's and what's. Thanks for sharing and educating.

Helen

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

JamesVRoy wrote:Some great shots you've added form the pan pacific. I had been planing a page on that place as one of the last that I was going to do but it seems almost anti climactic now. Cool, one less to do.

I had all the Michael ochs archives of the second performance, where are the others from?
I got around to finishing and adding the page on the Pan-Pacific as well as Portland.
There's probably no new Elvis pix in it of interest compared to the plethera posted here by Davide and other but you might enjoy the read (see http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46217)

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by pjdlibra »

holy moly great shots Thank you all for such great info. Especially at the Pan Pacific in LA,

drjohncarpenter wrote:
davide wrote:Those new shots are superb.The angle is really interesting,showing the distance between the audience and the stage. The nipper dog can be seen right of stage ... I have put these other images up from the press conference,to keep everything together.
Thank you for starting this topic! Those other shots are new to my eyes as well.

As noted, the angle for the live shots is from the SF Civic's stage left balcony. And "Nipper" is seated stage left as well. In a couple of days he and Elvis would cause quite a stir in Los Angeles.

Elvis in 1957 -- never cooler!

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Here are some more:

Another image - Looks to be Hoyt Hawkins at the piano ?

This is an uncropped version of an already included image

Davide

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Monique »

Thank you for the pictures and all the information. It's great to see and read it.

Always Elvis on my mind

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Two new photos

thanks Davide

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Neither one of these appears to be from San Francisco.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

They are from Pan Pacific Auditorium,as are the others posted earlier

Thanks Davide

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

awesome crowd shot!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ah, I see -- the topic has been lost.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

The topic has been lost almost since the beginning, not a real issues though. Davide, just add Oakland, and LA to the title if you feel the need and your covered. Great thread none the less. Some excellent photos by all. Have you got the sources for them?

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

JamesVRoy wrote:The topic has been lost almost since the beginning, not a real issues though. Davide, just add Oakland, and LA to the title if you feel the need and your covered. Great thread none the less. Some excellent photos by all. Have you got the sources for them?
Changed the title like you suggested,can't remember where they came from,I'll let you know if I find it.

Two more from the Pan Pacific

Thanks Davide

Ted
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Re: San Fransico,Oakland, LA - 1957

Post by Ted »

So did he wear a yellow tie with the Gold Lame on stage?

davide wrote:28th October 1957, Press Conference ,Los Angeles,CA.

Link to transcript of the press conference http://www.(deleted- see guidelines #9).com/essential_lists/Interviews_files/October%2028%201957.htm
It mentions Elvis wearing a Red Jacket, Black Shirt and pants,Yellow Tie and a Silver belt with Rinestones.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Image ^^

Songs performed on the 28th( and probably the 29th )were*
"Heartbreak Hotel" (Opening Number)
'Don't Be Cruel"
'All Shook Up'
"Teddy Bear'
'Jailhouse Rock'
'Treat Me Nice'
"Blueberry Hill"
'Hound Dog' (Closing Number/Nipper Dog routine)

The usual amount of songs on this tour was normally between 14 and 18 (40-50mins), and other songs on the set list could well have been from the following:**
"Blue Suede Shoes"
"Tutti Frutti"
"Trying To Get To You"
"Old Shep"
"When Your Blue Moon Turns To Gold"
"Rip It Up"
"So Glad You're Mine"
"I Want You,I Need You, I Love You" ,
"That's All Right",
"Too Much",
"Shake Rattle And Roll"
"Reddy Teddy",
"Loving You"
"I Was The One"
"I Got A Women"
"That's When Your Heartaches Begin"
"Love Me"
"Mean Woman Blues"
"Fool's Hall Of Fame",
These are known to be part of the earlier August/September 57 Tour, take your pick.

Amongst the audience that night were Hal Wallis, the actor Alan Ladd, the actor Walter Slezak and Ricky Nelson.Also in attendance was a young Malcom Leo, the writer/producer/director of the Warner Bros feature documentary, THIS IS ELVIS. He attended both shows of the Elvis Presley Concerts at The Pan Pacific Auditorium. "Seeing Elvis live in '57 changed my life and attitude about everything."..

Interior of the Pan Pacific Auditorium,
7600 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles , Fairfax district.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Uncropped , but smaller version of image below.

Interesting to note Bill Black is using the Fender Precision Bass. He almost certainly first started using it Live on stage with Elvis ,with the commencement of the West Coast Tour starting on the 30th August 1957. The first photographic evidence that I can find from this tour , is this image below from the 1st of September 1957 - Tacoma,WA , Lincoln Bowl.

There is more information found here at this excellent site http://www.scottymoore.net/55PBass.html

Image (*)

ImageImageImage

29th October 1957 , Pan Pacific Auditorium.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

George Klein talking to Trevor Cajiao in ETMAHM No. 6.

We were in Hollywood and Elvis played the the Pan Pacific Auditorium and he got away again, but we got trapped,I was with Nick Adams the actor , a friend of Elvis' , and Cliff Gleaves , and we were in a cab close behind Elvis but we didn't make it. Elvis got away and they surrounded us. They got on top of the cab and the cab started caving in. We had to lay down on the floor and put our feet up on the roof to stop it coming in . The cab driver was scared to drive because he was scared he'd run over some people,So we told him,"Man , it's either them or us!" So he stepped on it , they fell off the cab and we got away. It was wild.

ImageImage[
ImageImage

Uncropped,but smaller version of above.

Glen Glenn Interview Oct. 23, 2005www.ElvisWorld-Japan.com
Okay. Well, Elvis, at that time, didn't want to stay at the Knickerbocker, he stayed, I think, at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. And Bill and Scotty still wanted to stay at the Knickerbocker, they stayed at the Knickerbocker. And, they had a Cadillac of Elvis or something and they had his credit card. Bill was really talking about, "I got his credit card, I'll spend this." He kept showing me Elvis credit to buy the gas for the car. They did a western turf, Seattle and down the coast and the last show was at the Pan Pacific. And, we went down with Bill and Scotty to the Pan Pacific that night. And, that's the night that the cops came out, you know, the first night they didn't. They came out to film Elvis, because they said he was too wild and that's the night that Elvis just wiggled his fingers when he sung "Hound Dog," you know. And, we saw him that night. And, Faron Young, I remember was there. He came out from Nashville to see Elvis at the Pan Pacific, yeah.The Pan Pacific, you couldn't even hear Elvis. The girls screamed through the whole concert. And, then it was wild, both nights was wild-- sold out night the Pan Pacific Auditorium and it was something else. You never seen an entertainer in those days like Elvis, you know. The first night he got wild on stage, but the second night he couldn't because the cops were there filming and everything. And the next day after the Pan Pacific, we had breakfast at the Knickerbocker with Bill and Scotty and DJ and Luther and Marshall (The Tennessee Two). Cause Johnny Cash was in town the same time, he was playing shows in California, but not with Elvis and they were all staying at the Knickerbocker. And, Johnny Cash was staying at the Knickerbocker. And, we were reading the Los Angeles Times about the first show. We were sitting in there having breakfast, Bill Black bought breakfast, me and Gary Lambert. And, so we were sitting there reading the review of the show of the night before, about the cops coming in and going to come the next night and all this stuff. And, the Jordanaires was there, they were there having breakfast with us at the Knickerbocker.

]Image

* taken from the superb and essential book by Alan Hanson "ELVIS 57"
**http://www.(deleted - see guidelines #9).com
(*)improved quality thanks the fool
^^taken from ebay sale