San Fransico,Oakland,LA - 1957 MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

San Fransico,Oakland,LA - 1957 MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Post by davide »

de
Last edited by davide on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:56 am, edited 13 times in total.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: San Francisco 1957

Post by drjohncarpenter »

These all seem to be correct -- Elvis In San Francisco, CA on Saturday, October 26, 1957!

The live shot may well be from the evening performance at the SF Civic Center Auditorium, and the first I have ever seen from this date. Wonderful!!

Thank very much for sharing these with us.

Note that Elvis "wore a wine red suit and tie" for the afternoon show (dark suit in photos above) and "a light blue one for the evening show," (light suit above) according to Alan Hanson's wonderful Elvis '57 (iUniverse, 2007).

Hey, bripet56 what do you think?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: San Fransico 1957

Post by hilton22000 »

Great post, thank you very much for all these informations. ::rocks

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Thanks for the confirmation on the suits worn on which performance. I have added two more images to the first post. The second black and white image is very difficult to confirm with out the visual of the tie,but the mike and suit all look right?

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

This is from October 29, 1957 - Los Angeles

Here's another one, from Oct. 29, too:

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Thanks,I just had the same conclusion , as I found the second photo you have provided. Great to have the date/picture for the 29th .I have now removed the other LA image so as not to confuse.Thanks.
Last edited by davide on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

Welcome :smt006

drjohncarpenter

hilton22000 wrote:Great post, thank you very much for all these informations. ::rocks
Trust the doc -- he cares!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
davide

Re: San Fransico,Oakland, LA - 1957

Post by davide »

28th October 1957, Press Conference ,Los Angeles,CA.

Link to transcript of the press conference
It mentions Elvis wearing a Red Jacket, Black Shirt and pants,Yellow Tie and a Silver belt with Rinestones.

(1)Image

(2)Image

(3)Image

(4)Image

(5)Image Image(6)

(7)Image

(8)Image

(9)Image

(10)Image

(11)Image

(12)Image

(13)Image

(14)Image

Songs performed on the 28th( and probably the 29th )were*
"Heartbreak Hotel" (Opening Number)
'Don't Be Cruel"
'All Shook Up'
"Teddy Bear'
'Jailhouse Rock'
'Treat Me Nice'
"Blueberry Hill"
'Hound Dog' (Closing Number/Nipper Dog routine)

The usual amount of songs on this tour was normally between 14 and 18 (40-50mins), and other songs on the set list could well have been from the following:**
"Blue Suede Shoes"
"Tutti Frutti"
"Trying To Get To You"
"Old Shep"
"When Your Blue Moon Turns To Gold"
"Rip It Up"
"So Glad You're Mine"
"I Want You,I Need You, I Love You" ,
"That's All Right",
"Too Much",
"Shake Rattle And Roll"
"Reddy Teddy",
"Loving You"
"I Was The One"
"I Got A Women"
"That's When Your Heartaches Begin"
"Love Me"
"Mean Woman Blues"
"Fool's Hall Of Fame",
These are known to be part of the earlier August/September 57 Tour, take your pick.

Amongst the audience that night were Hal Wallis, the actor Alan Ladd, the actor Walter Slezak and Ricky Nelson.Also in attendance was a young Malcom Leo, the writer/producer/director of the Warner Bros feature documentary, THIS IS ELVIS. He attended both shows of the Elvis Presley Concerts at The Pan Pacific Auditorium. "Seeing Elvis live in '57 changed my life and attitude about everything."..

Interior of the Pan Pacific Auditorium,
7600 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles , Fairfax district.

1Image
Elvis Backstage talking to Cliff Gleaves,with Tom Diskin standing to Elvis' left,and Bitsy Mott to his right*.Comedian and Emcee Howard Hardin is standing on the right of frame in between Gordon Stoker(Top right) Neil Matthews (bottom right) from The Jordanaires . This image can be seen in full fame/great quality in the JAT 'Elvis In Gold' book.

2Image

3Image

The same image cropped,but zoomed in.
3aImage
"All Shook Up" Gordon Stoker (left) Scotty Moore (guitar) Elvis, D.J. Fontana on drums with Bill Black on Bass guitar.

4Image

5Image

6Image

7Image
Uncropped , but smaller version of image below.

8Image

9Image

10Image

11Image

12Image

Interesting to note Bill Black is using the Fender Precision Bass. He almost certainly first started using it Live on stage with Elvis ,with the commencement of the West Coast Tour starting on the 30th August 1957. The first photographic evidence that I can find from this tour , is this image below from the 1st of September 1957 - Tacoma,WA , Lincoln Bowl.

13Image
There is more information found here at this excellent site http://www.scottymoore.net/55PBass.html

14Image

15Image

16Image

17Image

18Image

19Image (*)

20Image

21Image

22Image

23Image

24Image

25Image

26Image

27Image

28Image

29Image

30Image

31Image

31aImage

32Image

33Image

34Image

35Image

36Image

37Image

38Image

39Image

40Image

41Image

42Image

43Image

44Image

45Image

46Image

47Image

48Image

49Image

29th October 1957 , Pan Pacific Auditorium.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

George Klein talking to Trevor Cajiao in ETMAHM No. 6.

We were in Hollywood and Elvis played the the Pan Pacific Auditorium and he got away again, but we got trapped,I was with Nick Adams the actor , a friend of Elvis' , and Cliff Gleaves , and we were in a cab close behind Elvis but we didn't make it. Elvis got away and they surrounded us. They got on top of the cab and the cab started caving in. We had to lay down on the floor and put our feet up on the roof to stop it coming in . The cab driver was scared to drive because he was scared he'd run over some people,So we told him,"Man , it's either them or us!" So he stepped on it , they fell off the cab and we got away. It was wild.

Gordon Stoker left of frame , Scotty Moore masked behind Elvis with Hugh Jarrett right of frame.

ImageImage[
ImageImage

Uncropped,but smaller version of above.

Glen Glenn Interview Oct. 23, 2005www.ElvisWorld-Japan.com
Okay. Well, Elvis, at that time, didn't want to stay at the Knickerbocker, he stayed, I think, at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. And Bill and Scotty still wanted to stay at the Knickerbocker, they stayed at the Knickerbocker. And, they had a Cadillac of Elvis or something and they had his credit card. Bill was really talking about, "I got his credit card, I'll spend this." He kept showing me Elvis credit to buy the gas for the car. They did a western turf, Seattle and down the coast and the last show was at the Pan Pacific. And, we went down with Bill and Scotty to the Pan Pacific that night. And, that's the night that the cops came out, you know, the first night they didn't. They came out to film Elvis, because they said he was too wild and that's the night that Elvis just wiggled his fingers when he sung "Hound Dog," you know. And, we saw him that night. And, Faron Young, I remember was there. He came out from Nashville to see Elvis at the Pan Pacific, yeah.The Pan Pacific, you couldn't even hear Elvis. The girls screamed through the whole concert. And, then it was wild, both nights was wild-- sold out night the Pan Pacific Auditorium and it was something else. You never seen an entertainer in those days like Elvis, you know. The first night he got wild on stage, but the second night he couldn't because the cops were there filming and everything. And the next day after the Pan Pacific, we had breakfast at the Knickerbocker with Bill and Scotty and DJ and Luther and Marshall (The Tennessee Two). Cause Johnny Cash was in town the same time, he was playing shows in California, but not with Elvis and they were all staying at the Knickerbocker. And, Johnny Cash was staying at the Knickerbocker. And, we were reading the Los Angeles Times about the first show. We were sitting in there having breakfast, Bill Black bought breakfast, me and Gary Lambert. And, so we were sitting there reading the review of the show of the night before, about the cops coming in and going to come the next night and all this stuff. And, the Jordanaires was there, they were there having breakfast with us at the Knickerbocker.

]Image

* taken from the superb and essential book by Alan Hanson "ELVIS 57"
**http://www.keithflynn.com
(*)improved quality thanks the fool
^^taken from ebay sale
Last edited by davide on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 am, edited 45 times in total.

bripet56
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by bripet56 »

Well, it's all been said here already so I can just confirm that all photos in the first post are from Frisco except the b/w one with arms outstretched which, in order not to confuse, should be removed (or at least dated properly) from the first post as it's from L.A. as already stated by Hilton.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

When I was a child I was a dreamer,
I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book
And I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie
So every dream I´ve ever dreamed has come true a hundred times.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

I found a newspaper report from the San Francisco Chronicle October 27th 1957 title ' Presley Here - Hip,Hip Hooray ' by Carolyn Anspacher which reports on the concert of the 26th,and the half hour dressing room conference. As mentioned above by drjohncarpenter in the book 'Elvis 57',another confirmation of a 'Wine red suit'.

Thousands of pre-conditioned San Francisco adolescents were "shook up" yesterday by Elvis Presley,the hip-waving vocalist from Memphis Tennesee.
Presley,wearing a pompadour, a pout, sideburns to his chin and a wine red suit,played at the Civic Auditorium to afternoon and evening audiences whose shrieks carried down to Market Street.
Claques of young girls,proudly wearing green ribbons marked "Official", had been coached all morning to "give Elvis everything you've got".
The afternoon was skimpy. Whether the predominanty female audience came to hear Presley sing or to watch his caricature of sex could not be determined. They roared through everyone of his 14 rock and roll offerings in such crescendo that three policemen and four firemen were forced to leave the building.
Thirty Pinkerton cops were on hand to protect the 22-year-old Presley from his public. The platoon was augmented by squads of string arm men who shouted repeatedly that the audience would not be permitted near the 28-foot stage.
Presley did not appear before his palpitating admirers until the second half of a mediocre variety show.
For half an hour he held count in a dressing room surrounded by the winners of a "Why I like Elvis Presley" contest, officers of a "The King's Klan" and "The Sideburn Set", several disc jockeys and a few apathetic reporters.
Pasty faced and nervous, he wiped his sweating hands over the front of his tight trosers and grimaced at the group in front of him.In response to what they took for a smile,the young girls huddled close together,One burst into tears. Seven snapped pictures of him,three sketched him. Then they began raising their hands , as if they were in class,asking recognition.
In his husky drawl, Presley said he didn't know when he was going in the Army. He was 1-A, he said, and waiting to be called.
No,he said,he didn't wear a wig. No,he never did say he didn't need the press anymore. "who are you mad about now?",one girl asked.Presley twitched slightly."No one in particular".he said"What's your ultimate ambition?", another girl asked. "My ultimate ambition". he said,"Is to become an actor. I couldn't handle anything real heavy now. I'll have to work up to it"."Are you studying drama?",he was asked. Presley twitched again. "I'm not studying anything",he said."I figure it's exprience that counts,not studying. I never had any lessons I just take things as they come and when this come up I'll make the best of it".
Then came an interlude of photographing,after that Presley autographed everything handed to him - shoes, programs,handkerchiefs,scarfs, bits of paper,they all read :"Loving You",Elvis".
He called all his young admirers "Honey" and absently rubbed their shoulders and necks,three minutes before he burst on stage he confided one chilling note. At Christmas time an album of seasonal songs,sung by Presley,will be released.The only song he hasn't monkeyed with , he said,is "Silent Night". "It'll be a rock and roll Christmas",he said,the girls screamed.

From ETMAHM No.66

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Great thread and great shots!

bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

The afternoon show in Frisco is one of the very few left in 1957 where we have no photos. Anybody out there with any??

Sincerely
Brian

drjohncarpenter

bripet56 wrote:The afternoon show in Frisco is one of the very few left in 1957 where we have no photos. Anybody out there with any??
Until this topic, I was not privvy to ANY live San Francisco '57 photos.

Are there are more from the evening show in San Francisco than the single image posted above?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

The fool

Post by The fool »

Please, tell me I´m not dreaming. This seems too good to be true.

I just found these incredible photos here:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/arresteddecaymusic/elvis57.html

These are real photographs from the San Francisco evening show, aren´t they?

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

You are not dreaming, unless I am as well! Great find 8)

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

Wow, what a great day, thank you very much for these photos ::rocks

drjohncarpenter

The fool wrote:These are real photographs from the San Francisco evening show, aren´t they?
Yes indeed. The San Francisco Civic Auditorium has hardly changed in the years since.

After having seen both the Clash and Green Day in the same venue, I can certify these are taken from the stage left balcony at the SF Civic Auditorium.

GREAT shots! Thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Lucky Cops -- they had a good view didn't they!
elvis3ro9.jpg
Excellent find The fool -- love the Doggy on the stage. Thanks for showing them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

Good Golly Miss Molly, these photos are ... WOW!!
Thanks The Fool for bringing them to our attention.

Sincerely
Brian

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

These photos would look GREAT in the Elvis History Section -- that's if we had one of course :wink:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Monique »

These pictures are great. Great find!

Always Elvis on my mind

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

Awesome!

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Those new shots are superb.The angle is really interesting,showing the distance between the audience and the stage. The nipper dog can be seen right of stage.What a great find,thank you.

I have put these other images up from the press conference,to keep everything together.

1.Image

2.Image

3.Image

4.Image

5. This is a cropped version of 4.

revised
6.Image
Last edited by davide on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

drjohncarpenter

davide wrote:Those new shots are superb.The angle is really interesting,showing the distance between the audience and the stage. The nipper dog can be seen right of stage ... I have put these other images up from the press conference,to keep everything together.
Thank you for starting this topic! Those other shots are new to my eyes as well.

As noted, the angle for the live shots is from the SF Civic's stage left balcony. And "Nipper" is seated stage left as well. In a couple of days he and Elvis would cause quite a stir in Los Angeles.

Elvis in 1957 -- never cooler!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.