Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: The Jailhouse Rock Sessions

Post by drjohncarpenter »

JamesVRoy wrote:That's not a still, that's a frame I captured from the movie
http://www.pbase.com/jroy/jrock
Thanks for the other names
It's a great shot -- is this when Anne Neyland is coming "all un-glued"?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:That's not a still, that's a frame I captured from the movie
http://www.pbase.com/jroy/jrock
Thanks for the other names
It's a great shot -- is this when Anne Neyland is coming "all un-glued"?

Yeah, the scene where they're doing a take of Elvis kissing her on the couch and they're trying to cut but they're getting a little too hot and heavy.

followed by this one

Memphis
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Memphis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
davide wrote:***Elvis's group consisted of George Klein,Arthur Hooton,Gene Smith,Lamar Fike,Junior Smith and Cliff Gleaves.My feeling is thats most likely Cliff Gleaves.
Of that group, the build most closely matches that of Arthur Hooten.

Here's a screen grab from "Jailhouse Rock" with Hooten:

L-R: Mike Stoller, Steve Warren, Scotty Moore, Katherine Warren, Arthur Tovey, Arthur Hooten and Gene Smith
Not trying to be picky here but just so you have the correct information, That doesn't look like Arthur Tovey , Tovey had less hair
This is Arthur Tovey (king of the extras, who was also in Viva Las Vegas) Image

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by davide »

Just to update - with regards to

1. 'Quaters,Nickles and Dimes'

Roy C Bennett interviewed by William Bram in ETMAHM No. 38

WB : The last time I spoke to you,you mentioned that you knew of one song of yours that you thought Elvis had recorded that was never released : 'Quaters,Nickles and Dimes'...
RB Yes , We wrote and re-wrote that lyric over the phone to California, I don't remember how many times. Aberbach spent a lot of money on telephone calls. I don't know if it was ever recorded, but it was submitted.
WB : Do you recall what movie that was for?
RB : One of the early ones.

2. 'One More Day'

WB : In Jailhouse Rock there is one of your songs sung by Mickey Shaughnessy called 'One More Day'. The song was written for Elvis,is that correct?
RB : Absolutely of course there was no pay-off because he never recorded it. It's never played except in the movie,no album sales.

Davide

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

I'm resurrecting this in hopes that we might acertain whether the location of the photos where Elvis is seen with the bass are actually at Radio recorders, MGM or where. As I stated before I stated to believe they have have actually been at MGM since nothing visbile in the photos look to me like any conventional studio, the lack of acoustical paneling and baffles for one. I've sent Peter Stoller a message with the question and hope that either he or his dad may shed some light. I'll have to dig through my notes for any other contacts I had at the time when I was doing the original page on it.

One thing I just noticed in one of the photos though, is that an old metal spiral staircase in the back? Look at the top left corner.

Another coincidence I noticed. Check out the music stands

..[/quote]
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

I've arranged some of the pictures from the studio used in the beginning of the sessions to get a layout of the room from the left wall, across the rear wall, to the right wall, assuming from the vantage point of the control room. It doesn't look all too large but is said to be at Radio Recorders "Studio I" (the Annex perhaps?).
Studiol2r.jpg

You'll notice it does have a similar style and furniture to what is said to be Studio B, a larger studio, used in the Loving You sessions and the King Creole sessions though definitely a different room and drastically different looking than the shots in the room where Elvis is pictured with the bass. Blue Hawaii appears to be the same studio B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

JamesVRoy wrote:I've arranged some of the pictures from the studio used in the beginning of the sessions to get a layout of the room from the left wall, across the rear wall, to the right wall, assuming from the vantage point of the control room. It doesn't look all too large but is said to be at Radio Recorders "Studio I" (the Annex perhaps?).
Studiol2r.jpg

You'll notice it does have a similar style and furniture to what is said to be Studio B, a larger studio, used in the Loving You sessions and the King Creole sessions though definitely a different room and drastically different looking than the shots in the room where Elvis is pictured with the bass. Blue Hawaii appears to be the same studio B.

Thanks James for the interest and updates - Having looked at the photo's of Elvis with the Bass, and your evidence, I would say they are from MGM Soundstage and therefore could be May 7,8,9,10,16? I have also updated some further recording date (thank you to KF site) Work In Progress

Thanks
Davide

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

davide wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:I've arranged some of the pictures from the studio used in the beginning of the sessions to get a layout of the room from the left wall, across the rear wall, to the right wall, assuming from the vantage point of the control room. It doesn't look all too large but is said to be at Radio Recorders "Studio I" (the Annex perhaps?).
Studiol2r.jpg

Thanks James for the interest and updates - Having looked at the photo's of Elvis with the Bass, and your evidence, I would say they are from MGM Soundstage and therefore could be May 7,8,9,10,16? I have also updated some further recording date (thank you to KF site) Work In Progress

Thanks
Davide
Thanks for your work on all the session collections. It will be cool to finally identify these places once and for all. I found some contact info I had for Warren Dace and have sent message to both he and his daughter. He worked there with Jim Malloy in the '50s and '60s and I'm hoping he can visually confirm our suspicions. Jim Malloy I believe is the JM listed on the session sheet under Thorne Nogar for the JHR sessions. I read recently that the place has since been vacant again and now they are renting parts out for office space.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

JamesVRoy wrote:
davide wrote:
Studiol2r.jpg

Thanks
Davide
Thanks for your work on all the session collections. It will be cool to finally identify these places once and for all. I found some contact info I had for Warren Dace and have sent message to both he and his daughter. He worked there with Jim Malloy in the '50s and '60s and I'm hoping he can visually confirm our suspicions. Jim Malloy I believe is the JM listed on the session sheet under Thorne Nogar for the JHR sessions. I read recently that the place has since been vacant again and now they are renting parts out for office space.
Warren Dace confirmed that these shots with the bass were not taken in any of the studios at Radio Recorders. They must be from MGM then. I'm still waiting to confirm the locations of the others regarding the locations on Santa Monica or Sycamore.

rizzy56
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by rizzy56 »

::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rizzy56
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by rizzy56 »

dont know if these few were posted already

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

JamesVRoy wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
davide wrote:
Studiol2r.jpg

Thanks
Davide
Warren Dace confirmed that these shots with the bass were not taken in any of the studios at Radio Recorders. They must be from MGM then. I'm still waiting to confirm the locations of the others regarding the locations on Santa Monica or Sycamore.
James

Thanks for taking the time to get the confirmation, with regards to locations and personal.

Davide

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

davide wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
davide wrote:
Studiol2r.jpg

Thanks
Davide
James

Thanks for taking the time to get the confirmation, with regards to locations and personal.

Davide
A bit more info, All the rooms at the 7000 Santa Monica facility were named Studios 'A' thru 'F'. The ones at the Annex were named numerically. Each had only one large full studio, 'B' at the Santa Monica location and '1' (listed on the sheets as 'I') in the Annex on Sycamore. I'm still updating my page as Warren replies. see http://scottymoore.net/studio_radiorecorders.html )

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

JamesVRoy wrote: Warren Dace confirmed that these shots with the bass were not taken in any of the studios at Radio Recorders. They must be from MGM then.
I just got around to opening my copy of Elvis Thats The Way It Is SE today and was scanning through it. If there were any slight doubts before we can put them to rest. The shots with the bass and other s like them we wondered about were taken at the MGM soundstage in Culver City. Note the lockers.

Rocker
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by Rocker »

Great thread once again! Thank you!

Elvis at the mike, Hugh Jarrett, Gordon Stoker stood up singing, D.J. Fontana on drums, Neil Matthews and Hoyt Hawkins also stood up singing background vocals, and unknown sat lower left of frame.

-> Duddley Brooks at the piano

And here's Leiber & Stoller's submitted "Yeah, yeah, yeah" as recorded by Joe Liggins as Peter Stoller already mentioned.

Well, hello there....

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Some possible credit updates for two of the images:

570430_w Arthur Morton_Hawkins_Stoker_Brooks_Jarrett.jpg
At MGM with Arthur Morton, Hoyt Hawkins, Gordon Stoker, Dudley Brooks and Hugh Jarrett - Tuesday, April 30, 1957
Arthur Morton was MGM's orchestrator for Jeff Alexander on "Jailhouse Rock"

570501_w Klein_Hawkins_Fontana_Moore_producer Pandro S Berman.JPG
At MGM with George Klein, Hoyt Hawkins, D.J. Fontana, Scotty Moore and Pandro S. Berman - Wednesday, May 1, 1957
Pandro S. Berman was the producer of MGM's "Jailhouse Rock"

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Some possible credit updates for two of the images:

570430_w Arthur Morton_Hawkins_Stoker_Brooks_Jarrett.jpg
At MGM with Arthur Morton, Hoyt Hawkins, Gordon Stoker, Dudley Brooks and Hugh Jarrett - Tuesday, April 30, 1957
Arthur Morton was MGM's orchestrator for Jeff Alexander on "Jailhouse Rock"

570501_w Klein_Hawkins_Fontana_Moore_producer Pandro S Berman.JPG
At MGM with George Klein, Hoyt Hawkins, D.J. Fontana, Scotty Moore and Pandro S. Berman - Wednesday, May 1, 1957
Pandro S. Berman was the producer of MGM's "Jailhouse Rock"

Cool. It sure looks like Berman. Here he is in '46 with Hepburn and Vincent Minnelli