Re: last movie you watched

Post by pmp »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:18 pm
pmp wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:28 am
MikeFromHolland wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:23 am

Watched the Spanish coming-of-age movie Krámpack (2000) by Cesc Gay. His second full feature. A really lovely and sometimes humorous film.

“ 17-year-old Dani invites his best friend and peer Nico to spend the summer in his parents' holiday home on the Spanish coast. Someone comes to cook for them and Dani has to take some extra lessons, but otherwise they have the empire on their own. The two boys, of course, make the most of this sudden freedom. They soon meet two girls in the nearby village. When they hang out with them more and more, it becomes clear that Nico's enthusiasm for the opposite sex is much greater than Dani's. It annoys Dani that his friend suddenly seems to be much more interested in his holiday love than he does. As his jealousy becomes increasingly painful and his feelings for Nico become more and more clear, the mutual sexual experiments of the two boys are also put in a different perspective.

Where does love begin and friendship ends? 'Krampack' is a light-hearted, humorous film about issues that are difficult to put into perspective, especially as a teenager.”

Krampack is a great little film that I haven't seen for a loooong time. It's such a shame that so many of the great "queer" films of the last twenty or thirty years have not made it into the age of the blu-ray.

(..)
Interesting remark. I thought only a select group would appreciate ‘queer’ films, and that’s why many of them didn’t make it to blu-ray. Until I read this:

“Our findings, analysing 4126 films, show that LGBT-inclusive movies earned a staggering 29% more revenue at the box office than movies with no LGBT content.

“With global box-office revenue reaching $42 billion in 2019, this means LGBT-inclusive films are big business on and off screen.”

Source: https://lens.monash.edu/@business-economy/2022/03/28/1384556/and-the-oscar-goes-to-inclusion

In an article by The Observer (2020) it was stated that 2% of films made showed explicit LGBT-representation.

Would be nice to have Indicator-like label aimed solely on quality LGBT-releases blu-ray releases, including extras and nice informative booklets to go with them. Even better: if they were integrated more often into the regular Indicator releases, like “Girl stroke Boy” and “The Strange One” were.

Yeah, that's certainly all true for major films, although I was talking more indie and foreign language movies. Even a bonafide gay classic like "Beautiful Thing" isn't available on blu ray, and neither are other British films such as "Get Real," "Jeffrey," or Priest." I believe the French "La Roseau Sauvages" is on blu ray, but without English subs, but the likes of "Presque Rien," "Juste une Question D'amour," and "À cause d'un garçon" haven't made the trip to blu ray either. All of these, along with "Krampack" and others were key gay-themed films during the 1990s and early 2000s. Even the American indie "Trick" hasn't made it either to the "new" format. It's rather sad that these smaller films (and no doubt thousands like them that aren't gay-themed) have rather been left out when it comes to blu ray and, presumably, streaming in HD.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Post by MikeFromHolland »

pmp wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:10 pm
MikeFromHolland wrote:
pmp wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

Watched the Spanish coming-of-age movie Krámpack (2000) by Cesc Gay. His second full feature. A really lovely and sometimes humorous film.

“ 17-year-old Dani invites his best friend and peer Nico to spend the summer in his parents' holiday home on the Spanish coast. Someone comes to cook for them and Dani has to take some extra lessons, but otherwise they have the empire on their own. The two boys, of course, make the most of this sudden freedom. They soon meet two girls in the nearby village. When they hang out with them more and more, it becomes clear that Nico's enthusiasm for the opposite sex is much greater than Dani's. It annoys Dani that his friend suddenly seems to be much more interested in his holiday love than he does. As his jealousy becomes increasingly painful and his feelings for Nico become more and more clear, the mutual sexual experiments of the two boys are also put in a different perspective.

Where does love begin and friendship ends? 'Krampack' is a light-hearted, humorous film about issues that are difficult to put into perspective, especially as a teenager.”

Krampack is a great little film that I haven't seen for a loooong time. It's such a shame that so many of the great "queer" films of the last twenty or thirty years have not made it into the age of the blu-ray.

(..)
Interesting remark. I thought only a select group would appreciate ‘queer’ films, and that’s why many of them didn’t make it to blu-ray. Until I read this:

“Our findings, analysing 4126 films, show that LGBT-inclusive movies earned a staggering 29% more revenue at the box office than movies with no LGBT content.

“With global box-office revenue reaching $42 billion in 2019, this means LGBT-inclusive films are big business on and off screen.”

Source: https://lens.monash.edu/@business-economy/2022/03/28/1384556/and-the-oscar-goes-to-inclusion

In an article by The Observer (2020) it was stated that 2% of films made showed explicit LGBT-representation.

Would be nice to have Indicator-like label aimed solely on quality LGBT-releases blu-ray releases, including extras and nice informative booklets to go with them. Even better: if they were integrated more often into the regular Indicator releases, like “Girl stroke Boy” and “The Strange One” were.

Yeah, that's certainly all true for major films, although I was talking more indie and foreign language movies. Even a bonafide gay classic like "Beautiful Thing" isn't available on blu ray, and neither are other British films such as "Get Real," "Jeffrey," or Priest." I believe the French "La Roseau Sauvages" is on blu ray, but without English subs, but the likes of "Presque Rien," "Juste une Question D'amour," and "À cause d'un garçon" haven't made the trip to blu ray either. All of these, along with "Krampack" and others were key gay-themed films during the 1990s and early 2000s. Even the American indie "Trick" hasn't made it either to the "new" format. It's rather sad that these smaller films (and no doubt thousands like them that aren't gay-themed) have rather been left out when it comes to blu ray and, presumably, streaming in HD.
O yes, you’re right. And the ones you mentioned (and I know of) are definitely better than the major ones imo. Also for conservation purposes it would be good if they’d got upgrades and restorations. Aren’t there any initiatives being taken at the moment, if you are aware of?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:19 pm
pmp wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:10 pm
MikeFromHolland wrote:
pmp wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

(..)

O yes, you’re right. And the ones you mentioned (and I know of) are definitely better than the major ones imo. Also for conservation purposes it would be good if they’d got upgrades and restorations. Aren’t there any initiatives being taken at the moment, if you are aware of?

Not that I know of. My understanding from one of the labels that issued of some these films originally is that they would turn a loss if restored and released on blu ray. At this rate, a whole generation of queer cinema is just going to be forgotten, and that's rather sad.

MikeFromHolland

Watched Knock On Any Door (1949) by Nicholas Ray, with Humphrey Bogart and ‘introducing’ John Derek. More or less a courtroom drama with a twist I didn’t see coming. The explicit moral message at the end is - from a European point of view - purely American. It really had to be spelled out what we should learn and take away from this story.

John Derek played a role that would have suit Elvis as well imo. Danny Fisher came to mind.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

Watched the French movie Les Petits Mouchoirs (Little White Lies) from 2010 by Guillaume Canet, consisting of a very fine cast with not one leading role, but eight: a group of friends spending their holidays at the coast together, while one of their friends is fighting for his life in a hospital in Paris.

The movie is almost 2,5 hours long, but it doesn’t feel long at all. There’s always something happening, funny things as well as dramatic.

The original French trailer:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

InheritTheWind
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Post by InheritTheWind »

I really enjoyed Licorice Pizza, which is now streaming on Amazon Prime. It was one of the rare times where I watched a film without knowing anything about it, other than it was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. The subject matter will offend some, but it didn’t bother me. Loosely based on a true story, it’s about a relationship between a 15-year old male teen and a 25-year old woman set in California's San Fernando Valley in 1973. Bradley Cooper had a hilarious role as Barbara Streisand’s boyfriend Jon Peters.

As I was watching the film I thought that the young male lead reminded me of the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman. Turns out he is Hoffman’s son.

The two leads, Alana Haim (from the band Haim) and Cooper Hoffman were extremely appealing in an odd way. It was also both their film debuts. The whole film was pretty quirky. I loved the pacing, but some might consider it a slog. I liked it so much that watched again a few days later, which I don’t do often.

MikeFromHolland

InheritTheWind wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:55 am
I really enjoyed Licorice Pizza, which is now streaming on Amazon Prime. It was one of the rare times where I watched a film without knowing anything about it, other than it was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. The subject matter will offend some, but it didn’t bother me. Loosely based on a true story, it’s about a relationship between a 15-year old male teen and a 25-year old woman set in California's San Fernando Valley in 1973. Bradley Cooper had a hilarious role as Barbara Streisand’s boyfriend Jon Peters.

As I was watching the film I thought that the young male lead reminded me of the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman. Turns out he is Hoffman’s son.

The two leads, Alana Haim (from the band Haim) and Cooper Hoffman were extremely appealing in an odd way. It was also both their film debuts. The whole film was pretty quirky. I loved the pacing, but some might consider it a slog. I liked it so much that watched again a few days later, which I don’t do often.

Sounds interesting, thanks!

Watched “Who?” (1974) by Jack Gold with Elliott Gould and Joseph Bova in the leads and Trevor Howard in a fine secondary role. I liked the story in which you really didn’t know - up till the end - if the man with the iron mask was who he said he was, or someone else. A not too realistic movie, but without any doubt fun to watch.

E756CF3F-7E72-4DE9-A9FC-18411904B070.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Lullaby of Broadway, a very silly and lightweight vehicle for Doris Day from 1951. This is very disappointing, really. Day had demonstrated what she was capable of as an actress through the likes of Young Man with a Horn and the surprisingly dark Storm Warning, and she'd breezed her way through several fine musicals. But here she is teamed with Gene Nelson for the third time in a year, in something that's so thin it's surprising it ever got made. The music is fine, but even the dependable Doris Day seems unimpressed. Gene Nelson is OK, but his character is so downright idiotic that it's tempting to just fast forward through to the musical numbers. His character believes Day is having an affair with S Z Sakall!

Nelson's big screen career had already peaked, and soon he would find himself on the small screen instead. With the 1960s, he turned to directing mostly TV shows - and, of course, Harum Scarum and Kissin Cousins. He should have stuck to dancing.

MikeFromHolland

pmp wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:05 am
Tonight I saw Lullaby of Broadway, a very silly and lightweight vehicle for Doris Day from 1951. This is very disappointing, really. Day had demonstrated what she was capable of as an actress through the likes of Young Man with a Horn and the surprisingly dark Storm Warning, and she'd breezed her way through several fine musicals. But here she is teamed with Gene Nelson for the third time in a year, in something that's so thin it's surprising it ever got made. The music is fine, but even the dependable Doris Day seems unimpressed. Gene Nelson is OK, but his character is so downright idiotic that it's tempting to just fast forward through to the musical numbers. His character believes Day is having an affair with S Z Sakall!

Nelson's big screen career had already peaked, and soon he would find himself on the small screen instead. With the 1960s, he turned to directing mostly TV shows - and, of course, Harum Scarum and Kissin Cousins. He should have stuck to dancing.
The only film with Doris Day I ever watched was Calamity Jane in my teens. Which one(s) would you recommend? Young man with a horn and Storm warning?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

pmp

Post by pmp »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:18 pm
pmp wrote:

The only film with Doris Day I ever watched was Calamity Jane in my teens. Which one(s) would you recommend?

Young Man with a Horn and Love Me it Leave Me are two great musical dramas, the former directed by Curtiz. For musical comedies aside from Calamity, I'd look at On Moonlight Bay. For thrillers, there is Hitchcock's Man Who Knew Too Much and the fine Midnight Lace. And for a curve ball, hunt down Storm Warning - a hard hitting drama about the KKK!

MikeFromHolland

Watched Tokyo Joe (1949) by Syuart Heisler, with Humphrey Bogart and the Czech-born lady with the beautiful eyes Florence Marly. I really liked this one. The interactions between Bogart and the little Lora Lee Michel, playing his daughter, are unforgettable. Especially at the moment he just realized she is his daughter (he was gone for seven years, not knowing he had one). One interaction happened just right after this scene, a pity it isn’t shown here:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

pmp wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:24 pm
MikeFromHolland wrote:
pmp wrote:

The only film with Doris Day I ever watched was Calamity Jane in my teens. Which one(s) would you recommend?

Young Man with a Horn and Love Me it Leave Me are two great musical dramas, the former directed by Curtiz. For musical comedies aside from Calamity, I'd look at On Moonlight Bay. For thrillers, there is Hitchcock's Man Who Knew Too Much and the fine Midnight Lace. And for a curve ball, hunt down Storm Warning - a hard hitting drama about the KKK!
Thanks!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

pmp

Post by pmp »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:32 pm
pmp wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
pmp wrote:

Thanks!

I should have mentioned the romantic comedies with Rock Hudson, too.

Tonight I watched A Blueprint for Murder from 1953, which is streaming in HD on Amazon for a small fee. Joseph Cotton stars in this slightly odd thriller in which he suspects a woman of murdering her stepchild. It starts off in extremely clunky fashion, but settles down somewhat after the first fifteen minutes or so. It's shot partly in docudrama style, and then opens up into a regular thriller in the second half. Cotton deserved better than this, even if his big-screen stardom was well into decline by this point. But it's decent enough, and runs at only 75 minutes or so.

Last night I saw The Strange House (aka: The Scary House), a German Netflix production which is a haunted house film which, I presume, was aimed at younger teens. I say "presume" because in the last ten minutes there's a series of F-words, which is completely at odd with the first ninety minutes of the film. It's not remotely original, but it's pleasant enough, and passes the time nicely.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

pmp wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
pmp wrote:

Young Man with a Horn and Love Me or Leave Me are two great musical dramas, the former directed by Curtiz. For musical comedies aside from Calamity, I'd look at On Moonlight Bay. For thrillers, there is Hitchcock's Man Who Knew Too Much and the fine Midnight Lace. And for a curve ball, hunt down Storm Warning - a hard hitting drama about the KKK!
good one pmp :smt006 I especially would recommend Love Me or Leave Me and The Man who Knew Too Much.

MikeFromHolland

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:17 am
pmp wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
pmp wrote:

Young Man with a Horn and Love Me or Leave Me are two great musical dramas, the former directed by Curtiz. For musical comedies aside from Calamity, I'd look at On Moonlight Bay. For thrillers, there is Hitchcock's Man Who Knew Too Much and the fine Midnight Lace. And for a curve ball, hunt down Storm Warning - a hard hitting drama about the KKK!
good one pmp :smt006 I especially would recommend Love Me or Leave Me and The Man who Knew Too Much.
Thank you, guys. And I added the romantic comedies with Rock Hudson to my little list as well.

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

Last night I watched Diary Of A Mad Housewife (1970) by Frank Perry with Carrie Snodgress, Richard Benjamin and Frank Langella. The latter now being involved in a MeToo scandal.

There are two versions on the blu-ray I have, the original theatrical cut and an alternative TV version. I watched the original one and read on IMDB that both versions differ quite a bit. One reviewer had a nice idea:

3C18FB60-0B5C-4C5C-B601-2482F5C21F6A.jpeg

The film is quite entertaining I should add.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

watched friday evening (my time) Blame it on Rio, with Michael Caine, Michelle JOHNSON but i wished i hadn't. Made in 1983 but i have not seen it before.

It was weak, silly film, nuff said.

spoiler alert...https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086973/

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:01 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:17 am
pmp wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
pmp wrote:

Thank you, guys. And I added the romantic comedies with Rock Hudson to my little list as well.

::rocks
Move Over Darling (1963) with James GARNER wasn't bad. It was first going to be Marilyn MONROE and Dean Martin flick but Marilyn died before the movie was completed.

20 Century Fox then reworked the script to suit Doris DAY with a new cast and new title.

As 1960's music themes and soundtracks go, makes a good song too :D

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Saw Top Gun 2 yesterday.
Parts of it was very entertaining but also silly.
Usually I agree with the imdb rating (8,6) but not regarding this one.
Seen the original many times but a long time ago so I give the new one 6/10

MikeFromHolland

The Man Who Knew Too Much from 1934 as well as Hitchkock’s own American re-make from 1956 are both in my collection, so to start my Doris Day discovery, I started with the latter. I must say, to watch this movie was a very good recommendation. I watched a restored version on blu-ray that was made to celebrate 100 years of Universal Studios. As an extra it has a making of documentary which was very insightful.

The movie had me on the tip of my chair several times and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Day’s acting skills. Tonight I will watch Hitchkock’s own and much shorter 1934 version. Looking forward to that.

8435F873-026F-40E0-BF54-C5D5EEF89B27.jpeg

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:34 pm

The Man Who Knew Too Much from 1934 as well as Hitchkock’s own American re-make from 1956 are both in my collection, so to start my Doris Day discovery, I started with the latter. I must say, to watch this movie was a very good recommendation. I watched a restored version on blu-ray that was made to celebrate 100 years of Universal Studios. As an extra it has a making of documentary which was very insightful.

The movie had me on the tip of my chair several times and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Day’s acting skills. Tonight I will watch Hitchkock’s own and much shorter 1934 version. Looking forward to that.

I've yet to see the 1934 original you talked about.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Watched THE BIG HEAT that starred Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, and Jocelyn Brando. Made in 1953.

I know IMDB has this as film noir but i don't agree. It certainly has Noir elements but more of a fully fledged drama, i thought.
Bit slow at the start but then it picks up - and How !!!! I would give this 8-10.

Anyone here seen THE BIG HEAT ?

spoiler alert...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Heat

MikeFromHolland

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:16 am
Watched THE BIG HEAT that starred Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, and Jocelyn Brando. Made in 1953.

I know IMDB has this as film noir but i don't agree. It certainly has Noir elements but more of a fully fledged drama, i thought.
Bit slow at the start but then it picks up - and How !!!! I would give this 8-10.

Anyone here seen THE BIG HEAT ?

spoiler alert...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Heat

Powerhouse/Indicator also has it categorized as Film Noir: https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/film-noir?page=2

It’s this version I saw - being interested in the works of the legendary Lang - but I can’t say it made a lasting impression on me. I have to admit not many Noirs have. They’re mostly nice to watch as a kind of ‘chewing gum for the eyes’ but most are quite forgettable imo. This is one of them. Interesting to see you give it an 8-10. I wouldn’t go that high: 6.5

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

Watched Hitchkocks 1934 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much and it was very disappointing after watching his 1956 remake the day before. I watched them in the wrong order I guess, and with too little time in between, to really appreciate this one. The suspense and building up (also of character and relationships) were much better in the one starring Doris Day.

Hitchcock himself said: “The first version was made by an amateur and the second version by a pro”. I tend to agree, knowing that an amateur Hitchcock is almost always better than a lot of other pros.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Snakes on a plane 4/6 , its okay time killer